MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

35 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

People are complaining about a shift from ~15 a year to what seems like 5 new molds this year. In order to reach the fabled glory days of yesteryear, you would need to add ~10 minifigures to this year's lineup. That would be an absurd congestion of characters that most people don't care about. While I agree that they could add more new figures cough looking at you Grievous starfighter cough, you couldn't really add more than maybe 2 or 3 this year without it being kind of cluttered.

Okay, in Anakin's Fighter add one figure (Say, Wat Tambor), in Grievous' Starfighter add about two figures (Cody, Magna Guard), voila, three new characters, three new molds. Give Ahsoka proper Lekku (her lekku grows over time, no way in hell she should have lekku from 20 years later now). 4 new molds for characters people do care about. People have wanted Cody for years! A Magna Guard would be quite welcome, Wat Tambor for those who want to complete the CIS Council, and Ahsoka completely decked out for the discerning fan (who prefers accuracy over cost-cutting).

Also, maybe add/change sets (I-TS, I rest my case). Lego makes wild, unpredictable decisions, and many are quite questionable. This isn't really about molds per se, but characters that provide incentive for the purchase.

I mean, they made freakin' Boolio, and we'll never see him again. Maybe his species, fine, but it's still puzzling why he gets to be made, and characters people have requesting for years get ignored. There's absolutely no excuse not to have Cody by now, none. I say people have legitimate concerns with Lego's minifig strategy.

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Okay, in Anakin's Fighter add one figure (Say, Wat Tambor), in Grievous' Starfighter add about two figures (Cody, Magna Guard), voila, three new characters, three new molds. Give Ahsoka proper Lekku (her lekku grows over time, no way in hell she should have lekku from 20 years later now). 4 new molds for characters people do care about. People have wanted Cody for years! A Magna Guard would be quite welcome, Wat Tambor for those who want to complete the CIS Council, and Ahsoka completely decked out for the discerning fan (who prefers accuracy over cost-cutting).

Also, maybe add/change sets (I-TS, I rest my case). Lego makes wild, unpredictable decisions, and many are quite questionable. This isn't really about molds per se, but characters that provide incentive for the purchase.

I mean, they made freakin' Boolio, and we'll never see him again. Maybe his species, fine, but it's still puzzling why he gets to be made, and characters people have requesting for years get ignored. There's absolutely no excuse not to have Cody by now, none. I say people have legitimate concerns with Lego's minifig strategy.

Did you read the rest of my post? I'm not against new molds inherently, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting a new Cody at some point or a Wat Tambor or what have you. I AM saying that measuring each year's level of output of new molds as a way to say you want new minifigs doesn't make any sense when inherently many of the updated pieces are going to continue being used for many more years, thus making them ineligible for a new mold.

However I will say that Lego is inherently not an accurate medium. Things in real life are not naturally blocky. People do not look like minifigures. This is why I'm fine with Ahsoka's headpiece; I recognize that lego is an approximation of 'the real thing' not a fully accurate model. Also, what's wrong with the current Magna Guard model? It's detailed, well articulated, and fits with other droids. Making a new mold for that would seem like the epitome of change for the sake of change.

19 minutes ago, 2maxwell said:

Did you read the rest of my post? I'm not against new molds inherently, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for wanting a new Cody at some point or a Wat Tambor or what have you. I AM saying that measuring each year's level of output of new molds as a way to say you want new minifigs doesn't make any sense when inherently many of the updated pieces are going to continue being used for many more years, thus making them ineligible for a new mold.

However I will say that Lego is inherently not an accurate medium. Things in real life are not naturally blocky. People do not look like minifigures. This is why I'm fine with Ahsoka's headpiece; I recognize that lego is an approximation of 'the real thing' not a fully accurate model. Also, what's wrong with the current Magna Guard model? It's detailed, well articulated, and fits with other droids. Making a new mold for that would seem like the epitome of change for the sake of change.

The two arguments do seem to blend though, (not on your part, but in general). What can I say? People like new molds, it's exciting, especially when it gets us new or fan-demanded characters. I'm still going to argue that Lego makes a ton of one-off molds, and Ahsoka's lekku are still too long. Some things can be waved due to the medium, I agree. But this isn't really one of them. If you like the reuse, that's fine, but it is a bit detracting. It makes Ahsoka look old, in all honesty. And nothing's wrong with the Magna Guard, I just threw out the example. I'm almost positive Lego might make a new mold for one though, even if just for the uncloaked version.

1 hour ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

Just saw the catalog pics. Not intimately familiar with the actual computer model but the new AAT looks very wrong to me, it's practically a microfighter next to the 2009 version... grievous' ship looks good but they've added $30/35 EUR to the price with seemingly nothing added to the model, anyone have a part count on that one? Knights of Ren ship looks very good but I'm worried it's going to either cost way too much or have almost zero interior space, or both

I think @MandRproductions hit the nail on the head for me personally when he said that the new AAT just doesn't look right because they haven't captured the blue stripe up the middle.

Grievous' Ship is meant to be 487 pieces and $79.99 whereas the Night Buzzard is 595 pieces and supposedly $10 less at $69.99.

Edited by BacktoBricks

56 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I think @MandRproductions hit the nail on the head for me personally when he said that the new AAT just doesn't look right because they haven't captured the blue stripe up the middle.

Grievous' Ship is meant to be 487 pieces and $79.99 whereas the Night Buzzard is 595 pieces and supposedly $10 less at $69.99.

Good point on the blue stripe. I also think the shape of the bottom disc part is all wrong, and a single spring loaded shooter next to the totally blank blue curved part completely misses at representing the missile launchers, but I don't know else to do that section of the model without substantially changing the scale or printing on the curved parts.

I think that's a fair value proposition for the Night Buzzard, still would like to see more pictures of it though. But Grevious' ship... the previous edition had 454 pieces, $49.99, 3 minifigs (including basically the exact same Grievous figure, which was brand new then), a little side build, and pretty much looked the same 10 years ago. It's a dead horse to complain about star wars lego getting more expensive over time but that is blatantly absurd. The jump in size, screen accuracy, complexity, quality of the Grievous figure, number of pieces and figures, and price from the 2007 to the 2010 version of this thing was very dramatic; aside from different figures they've dropped the side build and added probably about 60 parts to the main model, so there's probably some improvement there although it does appear to be slightly smaller. $79.99 is well outside the realm of reason.

13 minutes ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

I think that's a fair value proposition for the Night Buzzard, still would like to see more pictures of it though. But Grevious' ship... the previous edition had 454 pieces, $49.99, 3 minifigs (including basically the exact same Grievous figure, which was brand new then), a little side build, and pretty much looked the same 10 years ago. It's a dead horse to complain about star wars lego getting more expensive over time but that is blatantly absurd. The jump in size, screen accuracy, complexity, quality of the Grievous figure, number of pieces and figures, and price from the 2007 to the 2010 version of this thing was very dramatic; aside from different figures they've dropped the side build and added probably about 60 parts to the main model, so there's probably some improvement there although it does appear to be slightly smaller. $79.99 is well outside the realm of reason.

Completely agree. I hope it sells very poorly and Lego get the message.

With the inclusion of a Galaxys Edge set, there is no reason to not make a Stinger Mantis JFO set. LEGO really screwed themselves with this wave, proving they are willing to basically rerelease anything AND make extremely obscure, niche sets.

8 hours ago, 2maxwell said:

And as for Ahsoka, that will just be a philosophical difference. I tend to find new, barely different molds for something when an existing very close piece would suffice to be wasteful and somewhat unLego-like. I don't expect that to be a popular opinion and I don't require anyone to agree with me, but it is how I feel.

I really don’t get this sudden anger that there aren’t as many new mold this year. We had some sets without figures, and you can really only argue that one or two characters need new molds.

i also completely agree about Ahsoka, I don’t think it’s different enough to warrant a new mold.

3 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

With the inclusion of a Galaxys Edge set, there is no reason to not make a Stinger Mantis JFO set. LEGO really screwed themselves with this wave, proving they are willing to basically rerelease anything AND make extremely obscure, niche sets.

Legos always been pretty random, but I’m still predicting at least a fallen order battle pack for January 2021.

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Legos always been pretty random, but I’m still predicting at least a fallen order battle pack for January 2021.

That would be nice. Though i do hope that they don't get the Idea to put an Inquisitor in the Battlepack.

5 minutes ago, Grandmoff_Tarkin said:

That would be nice. Though i do hope that they don't get the Idea to put an Inquisitor in the Battlepack.

I'd rather get Trilla in a battlepack than not get her at all

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I really don’t get this sudden anger that there aren’t as many new mold this year. We had some sets without figures, and you can really only argue that one or two characters need new molds.

I'd assume it's cause the characters we didn't get, they've used so few new molds this year but are still unwilling to give us Cody because of his helmet

We have a thread for general Star Wars discussion. If you want to keep talking about Lego's mold strategy please do so there.

Man you guys sure know how to go down a rabbit hole. Perhaps this will help you dig out.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:03 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

So there's another one?

It's time to get up, and stomp your feet
To this great foot-stomping Transylvanian beat!
Stomp nice and slow (one, two...)
Then speed up more (one, two, three, four!)
Then stomp away! Cause we're about to find out the number of the day!
So what's the number? (stomp stomp)
What's the number? (stomp stomp)
What is the number -er -er -er?
The number of the day,
Well let me tell ya, shorty,
The number of the day is... Forty!

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Man you guys sure know how to go down a rabbit hole. Perhaps this will help you dig out.

*(Poem)*

Master Grover and Darth Elmo? :laugh:

6 hours ago, Grandmoff_Tarkin said:

I doubt we’d get more than one set, so if we do get one I’m hoping for cal and trilla at least

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

A count, then.
“I’ve been looking foreword to this”

Edited by Mandalorianknight

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I doubt we’d get more than one set, so if we do get one I’m hoping for cal and trilla at least

Not in a battle pack, though. :sceptic: It worked for Inferno Squad, not so much the cast of Fallen Order.

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A count, then.

Solar Sailor? That's the only set I could see them tossing in so randomly.

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I'd assume it's cause the characters we didn't get, they've used so few new molds this year but are still unwilling to give us Cody because of his helmet

Any source on this? If anything, the evidence suggests that a new mold wouldn't be what's holding back this figure from being made.

14 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A count, then.
“I’ve been looking foreword to this”

I was just thinking about how we haven't seen a Dooku in 7 years. His only good figure is absurdly expensive.

11 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Not in a battle pack, though. :sceptic: It worked for Inferno Squad, not so much the cast of Fallen Order.

Solar Sailor? That's the only set I could see them tossing in so randomly.

A battle pack sized-set with 4 figures and a small build, not explicitly a battle pack, sort of like some LOTR/hobbit. sets back when those still came out. 
to stay on topic, the solar sailor makes sense, although I’m not sure they’d do two $60-100 separatist leadership ships in the same few months. I could see another geonosis duel, too, maybe an invisible hand duel. I feel like for “count” specifically to have been the clue, it’s got to be something dooku’s connected to and has screen time in, as opposed to an LAAT with Dooku thrown in or something. I wonder if “forty” has something to do with it, too, or if @jdubbs just used a random number for the purpose of completing the song.

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

to stay on topic, the solar sailor makes sense, although I’m not sure they’d do two $60-100 separatist leadership ships in the same few months. I could see another geonosis duel, too, maybe an invisible hand duel. I feel like for “count” specifically to have been the clue, it’s got to be something dooku’s connected to and has screen time in, as opposed to an LAAT with Dooku thrown in or something. I wonder if “forty” has something to do with it, too, or if @jdubbs just used a random number for the purpose of completing the song.

EDIT:

Okay I had a whole thing written out about the possibility of what a Count Dooku set could be, but now I picked up on forty - ESB's 40th anniversary!  

So I'm assuming this isn't the fall D2C, since we already more or less knew that was coming, whereas this appears to be something completely new?

Edited by Kit Figsto

I highly doubt we're going to get two large scale duels sets, for the same reason we won't see two small duel sets. I don't think we're gonna see a Duel on Geonosis, especially since there's already a Death Star Final Duel. It's much more likely a reference to the Fall D2C, which might be something Count Dooku related (and also may be Geonosis related :wink:), it's a Solar Sailor, or an Invisible Hand.

Actually, the stomping could also be a clue, but that's a bit of a stretch. I'm thinking if the clues point in Dooku's direction, but not in the direction of a Solar Sailor or a Duel (again, not with DS II Duel), it's most likely a Petranaki D2C, with stomping beasts, our beloved Count, and a good contingent of figures (20+ being Battle Droids of various make).

Just now, Renown said:

A $40 40th anniversary set perhaps? 

That makes more sense, I was completely off the mark with “count”.  Completely forgot it was ESB’s 40th.

18 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I highly doubt we're going to get two large scale duels sets, for the same reason we won't see two small duel sets. I don't think we're gonna see a Duel on Geonosis, especially since there's already a Death Star Final Duel. It's much more likely a reference to the Fall D2C, which might be something Count Dooku related (and also may be Geonosis related :wink:), it's a Solar Sailor, or an Invisible hand.

@jdubbs quoted my response to @MandRproductions hinting there were more sets than what we know of, so I don’t think it’s the D2c. However, you’re right in that it’s probably not a duel either. I’m thinking I got the wrong point from the clue and it’s more likely the number 40, for esb’s 40th, as others have speculated. 
Not sure what it would be though, especially if it’s $40 as @Renown suggests. 

I was wondering if shorty had anything to do with it, but the only ESB thing related to that I can think of would be Yoda, and I'm not sure they'd do another Yoda's hut.

11 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I’m thinking I got the wrong point from the clue and it’s more likely the number 40, for esb’s 40th, as others have speculated. 
Not sure what it would be though, especially if it’s $40 as @Renown suggests. 

I mean, back to the stomping, AT-AT already steals that beat. :laugh:

Maybe a Wampa cave? Tauntaun Patrol? I'm keeping both options open (ESB + Count Dooku).

EDIT: Or my long-awaited Rebel Transport? :wub:

Edited by ARC2149Nova