HoMa

Fx Bricks (Michael Gale) announces Fx Track system

Just wondering, Michael since the base of the P40 turnout is known. Is there any chance the documentation for the ballasting could be posted. This would allow us to start collecting parts and do some preliminary work to get ready for the big day.

@jmorrin32MICHLUGmember Thats a good yet tricky question. I can already imagine that there are many potential variations on the switches’ ballast:

-switch throw inside (the turn) or outside?

-Point motors or hand of god?

-overhand or underslung point motor?

@michaelgale How close are the P40 switches’ footprints in comparison to BrickTracks’ or Trixbrix’s switches? I am also interested in ballasting them once they become available. 

@michaelgale As we're entering Q2 of 2023, can you tell us how things are progressing with the P40's?

I've all this pocketmoney in my piggy-bank...

@Duq I Had e-mailed with JB-Spielwaren this week about the upcoming P40 switches and they told me they are still coming, but in July. I am still super excited about them ofcourse but just like everyone else here on this forum it is still frustrating! First it was last summer, then last fall, then january and now July. I understand that making changes to those products (P40 switches) will take some time to be ready, but i had hoped for pre-orders by now. 

It is still unclear to me when the pre-orders will launch, are those pre-orders going live in July somewhere and do we have to wait 3months after that (October) before we get our switches, or 3months before that somewhere around May? Or is that the month ( July ) when the P40 switches will be shipped worldwide? 

Not necessarily a bad word towards @michaelgale  because i am really glad that the Fx Bricks company excists, their effords they have already made and will continue doing for us. Not to forget mentioning what is coming in the future! Seems like a mayor project. but i wonder why @michaelgale has not been on this forum for a long time to awnser questions about products for well over a year now, feels like were totally ghosted haha. Ofcourse we have seen those interviews on youtube. But i would also like it to have some personal questions awnsered.

I still have fate in Fx Bricks anyway and my gut tells me that everything from the powerstation, track feeders and motor bougie will also be released this summer, i hope everyone will have enough money for that haha.

For everyone who lives in Europe JB-Spielwaren has some discount on al Fx Track pruducts 6-7% and i don't know how long it will last. I have bought 7 boxes of Fx track and you get some free items as well depending on your total amount, which made my shipping cost "for free" as i got twice the amount worth of free stuff against the shipping cost, so yeah.

Greetings,

Edited by MellonHead

P40 preorders will begin Monday 12th June.  An announcement made yesterday on Facebook by Fx Bricks:

“Our new boxes have arrived! Can anyone guess what’s going in them? 🧐 We know a lot of you have been asking about the new switches and track, and your wait is almost over. Pre-orders start in 10 days! 🎉 #fxtrack #fxtracksystem #fxbricks #legotrains”

10 days from yesterday would be Monday 12th June, so we’re now getting close!

Exactly how long shipping will be I’m not sure.

Edited by Vilhelm22

6 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I wonder if there is a limit to how many one can preorder? No word on the prices yet though…?

Last year at BSBT 2022 a price of 150 EUR / pair of switches were estimated by Michael. According to logistics and prices going up it can be surely above this price.

Honestly, thinking about the quality of the points I have seen and used last year in Schkeuditz, and the quality of the large radius curves (R104) and double straights I do own I'm totally fine with this pricing, including the fact that they didn't raise crowdfounding for this project but did it at their own, risking theit money, not the community's.

For double straights were a 3 boxes / order limitation at JB-Spielwaren (Germany) when they released the product - I expect the same limitation for the points, too.

150?  That's ridiculous!  Bricktracks injection molded R104 switches are under $50 for a pair.  You can't honestly tell me making the metal components is $100 per pair.

S32 straights, injection molded, 2,3 EUR/piece at TrixBrix

S32 9V straights, injection molded + 9V ability, 9,375 EUR/piece at JB-Spielwaren.

Costs four times more compared to injection molded product currently.

And since FX S32 gets out of stock quite quickly when a new batch arrives, I guess, them same will happen to P40 switches, even for the estimated price written above.

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

@Ashi ValkoinenWow 150 Euro for a pair is way to much! You're sure it was in Euro? Just a theory as i am thinking about it right now @michaelgale is from Canada (ofcourse) which could mean he ment Canadian dollars so when i translate 150 Canadian Dollar to Euro it's about 104,32 Euro. Funny, 104 lol ( i know the divirging route is 22:62 degrees as to why it's called p40 ), uhm let's hope for about 100 Euro each pair, fingers crossed... 

12 hours ago, legoboy3998 said:

150?  That's ridiculous!  Bricktracks injection molded R104 switches are under $50 for a pair.  You can't honestly tell me making the metal components is $100 per pair.

It is a longer and way more expensive processs to create the metal part of Lego (compatible) tracks. That was the main reason that LEGO moved away from the 9V in the first place - to cut down on costs.

For the straight and curved tracks, it is basically "just" applying 2 long metal plates on top of the tracks.

But for the P40 switch, they maybe had to do some wiring and place the metal points in a way that it will still be able to conduct the power without the bogie losing it while crossing the switch in either direction and not short-circuiting the system. Which means a lot longer and more expensive process to develop the tracks and a higher production price as well because of the bigger work it will be assembling the metal and plastic parts compared to the "simple" track.

They are what they are a value at any price because the only other option is scratch building if you are heavily invested in 9v. Higher price might stop some potential converts but the benefit of 9v is huge especially when the rest of the FX line becomes available.

The Fx Bricks shop homepage has been updated with “Coming soon - 2023-06-12” and an image of the switches.  That’s Monday, so looks like the preorder date is confirmed!

On 6/4/2023 at 7:41 PM, Nikonissen said:

But for the P40 switch, they maybe had to do some wiring and place the metal points in a way that it will still be able to conduct the power without the bogie losing it while crossing the switch in either direction and not short-circuiting the system. Which means a lot longer and more expensive process to develop the tracks and a higher production price as well because of the bigger work it will be assembling the metal and plastic parts compared to the "simple" track.

Yes, last year at brickworld Michael had a prototype and said that there was a lot of hand assembly and soldering in these switches. He also quoted a price in the neighborhood of 150 euros per pair (I think I posted something about it either way back in this thread or in my review of the FX curves). We'll find out very soon.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I THINK these switches have both directions powered and they do not have a spring function (if you try to run through the points you will derail). These features are divergent from what we are used to, but once the DCC-like functionality is in place they should be very useful

Hi,

Just ordered 3 boxes in 3 different variants because i would like to see how all different packs are packed and to start a nice yard or some other configuration. Also orded the special adapter pieces 10x s1.6 / 10x s3.2 and the special R64P 8x to go with them.

That was quite expensive and i can't wait for them to be delivered, coming this august 15th!

Greetings.

Not sure if Michael Gale is looking but having an issue ordering from his site... getting a message stating: "This order can’t be shipped to the address you entered. Review your address to ensure that all fields have been entered correctly and try again." Have ordered from him in the past so idk what's up.

-Jeff

JB-Spielwaren preorder active:

https://www.jb-spielwaren.de/suchergebnis/?query=Fx tracks

170 EUR/pair in Europe, each box contains two switches. 2 right, 2 left and 1-1 in each bix.

R64P alignment special curves sold separetely (80 EUR for 8 pieces).

S1.6 and S3.2 alignment straights sold separetely (90 EUR for 10-10 pieces).

As far as I have seen, touched and used in my layout the prototype switches at BSBT2022, I find this price totally fair. Not cheap - I know, but this is something I waited 15 years for. I'm sure quality will be superb as by previous products. Three long months waiting for my order, will be an eternity. :)

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

Just ordered 4 pair of the turnouts and a box of the R-64s however the half straights in my cart were rejected as out of stock now I  will have another shipping charge for a necessary part too bad they could not have been also preordered.

Ordered!!

But I made a big error. I wanted to order 2 boxes with left and right switches, and finally ordered 2 boxes of 2 x right.....

So I had to reorder 4 left switches.... Anyway I will need them...