Sign in to follow this  
KAHUKA

Steam punk disscusion

I for one think that they should make it into a theme. I mean look at the stem punk machines that Morgan19 has made.

It is too obscure and complicated to make into a Lego theme, IMO. Also, this should be posted in The Embassy.

-Chuck

Edited by Chuck

Time cruisers was the closest so far to steam punk, and even though I liked it, It didn't sell too well.

I think some thing's are best left to the moc'ers, this being one of them, sorry :blush:

Time cruisers was the closest so far to steam punk, and even though I liked it, It didn't sell too well.

I think some thing's are best left to the moc'ers, this being one of them, sorry :blush:

It is okay steam punk is a bit complicated.

Edited by KAHUKA

I think the Embassy has enough "make this" topics. However Space & Mecha isn't the place either. Steampunk and Post-Apoc go in Other Themes...

I really dislike the idea of steam punk. I mean what would they make as sets? Biplanes? they did that already.

I think the Embassy has enough "make this" topics. However Space & Mecha isn't the place either. Steampunk and Post-Apoc go in Other Themes...

Thank you Hinckley.

Most definitely, having seen some of the outstanding steam punk MOCs it would be brilliant to see what Lego could do with new pieces and old pieces in new steampunk colours.

Absolutely not, and I'll tell you why.

Steampunk is, by it's very nature, random. Unexpected. Improvised machinery of nearly forgotten era.

It's a great theme for MOC builders because it gives each one the chance to do something that is completely a reflection of them. Each steampunk creation should be one of a kind, something a guy built in his garage over the course of 37 weekends. With an official set, suddenly, everyone has the same thing. No more one of a kind, no more mad inventor with a plan and a pile of junk, just another mass produced vehicle.

Time Cruisers is the perfect example of why it wouldn't work. They tried to force randomness in those sets, and they were pretty much a disaster.

So, bottom line for me. Steampunk good. :thumbup: Official theme bad. :thumbdown:

I really dislike the idea of steam punk. I mean what would they make as sets? Biplanes? they did that already.

You think Steampunk is just biplanes? The imagination is such a beautiful thing. :tongue:

You think Steampunk is just biplanes? The imagination is such a beautiful thing. :tongue:

I second that notion. Steam punk is more than just a bunch of historical machines built out of brown pieces.It's the imaginative part that makes steam punk what it really is imagination can turn an ordinary pile of bricks into a masterpiece.

You have you're opinion and I have mine.

Steampunk is an awesome idea but popular reference to it is obscure. Not to mention that Morgan19 MOC's are things of beauty that should not be replicated for everyone to have. There are many other themes i would rather see than a steampunk one.

Absolutely not, and I'll tell you why.

Steampunk is, by it's very nature, random. Unexpected. Improvised machinery of nearly forgotten era.

It's a great theme for MOC builders because it gives each one the chance to do something that is completely a reflection of them. Each steampunk creation should be one of a kind, something a guy built in his garage over the course of 37 weekends. With an official set, suddenly, everyone has the same thing. No more one of a kind, no more mad inventor with a plan and a pile of junk, just another mass produced vehicle.

Time Cruisers is the perfect example of why it wouldn't work. They tried to force randomness in those sets, and they were pretty much a disaster.

So, bottom line for me. Steampunk good. :thumbup: Official theme bad. :thumbdown:

I agree with Imperialshadows on this one Steampunk would be a bad theme, but is a good theme for MOCers. Lego steampunk is mostly about detailing, such as SNOT techniques and clever parts usage. Lego would have a hard time doing this: since for one it’s going to cost a lot to add in lots of small parts so the sets would be either really expensive, or not very detailed. The models have to be "kid friendly", by which I mean easy to build, and durable/swooshable which might be hard since with all the detailing, structural integrity may have to be sacrificed in order to achieve a certain look, or it may be hard for young builders to build :sad: .

However… what if the Steampunk theme was an LDD theme. The designers could get away with adding in more parts (since the prices are usually higher than normal themes), and since LDD themes are directed to an older audience there could be more advanced techniques used. Heck, Lego could make something like Star Justice and make only one big set with several smaller models inside.

a theme would be out of the question for me... a theme usually is a series of small to large playable sets, set in a simplistic, stereotyped story. Steampunk is quite the opposite: usually it's a stand-alone and highly complicated display set, that leaves more questions than it answers. it's appealing to a small group of (adult) and experienced fans who like this weird combination of fantasy, 18-19th century industrial development, and some kind of science, leading to creations that would never ever see reality in our "real world".

It kinda reminds me of the two new space sets: when we first heard of the creation of space sets we were all hoping for big detailed space ships, instead we got something that hardcore space fans may not dislike, but don't love either. it's some sort of play set with some interesting parts for adults... i'm sure steampunk would go the same way, not to mention the vast number of "illegal" techniques many steampunk fans use... Honestly, expectations would be so high that lego only could, and probably would, screw up...

I never tried Steampunk myself (though I'm planning to explore this style someday), but, as others said, I see it more as a free, creative, all-but-restrictive style. Making an official theme out of it would sterotype it. And, like the already mentioned Time Cruisers, it wouldn't sell well. In my view, it would only fit as one UCS set or so, like the VW Beetle.

On the Time Cruisers theme: I think they were a bit too random. They could have worked better with less harlequin-esque colors. Ok, it was a good way to get a lot of parts from multiple themes all in one set, but I think they exceded in this eclecticity.

LuxorV

I never tried Steampunk myself (though I'm planning to explore this style someday), but, as others said, I see it more as a free, creative, all-but-restrictive style. Making an official theme out of it would sterotype it. And, like the already mentioned Time Cruisers, it wouldn't sell well. In my view, it would only fit as one UCS set or so, like the VW Beetle.

On the Time Cruisers theme: I think they were a bit too random. They could have worked better with less harlequin-esque colors. Ok, it was a good way to get a lot of parts from multiple themes all in one set, but I think they exceded in this eclecticity.

LuxorV

Thank you for not being one the people on here who proclaim that steam punk is lame.

Although I guess we´ll not see a pure Steampunk theme, I belief that a kind of fantasy theme, including some distinct Steampunk elements

could really work well.... I remember seeing a lot of somehow Dragon Hunters (the French cartoon series) inspired MOCs with floating rocks,

neat buildings and a little steampunkesque crafts, and something along this line could become an original and impressive new theme indeed,

somewhen in a future unknown.... and why not? There´re many interesting and brilliant possibilities to realize, and many fascinating stories

to tell and characters to imagine within the different elements and characteristics of Steampunk, so let us (and the masterminds at TLC :tongue: )

just dream on...! :classic:

It is too obscure and complicated to make into a Lego theme, IMO. Also, this should be posted in The Embassy.

-Chuck

HAHA nothing is too complicated for Lego. If it wanted to make money and everyone liked then I think it would make a great set.

Hmmm... my thoghts on the matter:

I love Steam Punk and all its wacky and outragous fun, but I do not think that TLG will ever give us a pure Steam Punk theme.

My hope for a Steam Punk theme would be to incorporate elements from Leonardo da Vinci's creations into steam powered vehicles. Kind of like the Vinci faction in Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.

This way we would get a more specialized theme with a historical twist.

The only question I have is what would be the "evil" faction and what would be the "good" faction in such a theme? :look:

Steam Punk Lego ON!

-Tarfful

EDIT: 300th post, huzzah! :sweet: And it wasn't even in the Within the Death Star: The Tie Army Forum. :laugh:

Edited by Tarfful

Hmmm... my thoghts on the matter:

I love Steam Punk and all its wacky and outragous fun, but I do not think that TLG will ever give us a pure Steam Punk theme.

My hope for a Steam Punk theme would be to incorporate elements from Leonardo da Vinci's creations into steam powered vehicles. Kind of like the Vinci faction in Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.

This way we would get a more specialized theme with a historical twist.

The only question I have is what would be the "evil" faction and what would be the "good" faction in such a theme? :look:

Steam Punk Lego ON!

-Tarfful

EDIT: 300th post, huzzah! :sweet: And it wasn't even in the Within the Death Star: The Tie Army Forum. :laugh:

Thats a great idea

the good guys could be steam punk and the bad guys could be electric punk.

Edited by Island boy

As has been said in the earlier statemants, steampunks ships or anythiing else are really a reflection of the person who is building them. But Lego could make a mini line or something like that that is not as complicated like many people make them. The whole idea of a line of vehicles that run off steam is kind of an older idea but so is the fact that Lego is bringing back Indiana johnes that had to deal with the old movies. I think that Kahuka has suggested a very interesting toppic and his words are worth considering. :tongue::cry_happy:

If they did, it would have to be much more <insert that tiresome argument>, which I think would take all the coolness out of it. :sceptic:

TLC has tried to force a few themes into sets, TC is an example, but also take a look at a few others. The new space sets were modeled after the old sets- and they worked. It all depends on who does it. It could be a complete disaster, but it does have an interesting new direction in it, which I think TLC needs to try.

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

If they did, it would have to be much more <insert that tiresome argument>, which I think would take all the coolness out of it. :sceptic:

TLC has tried to force a few themes into sets, TC is an example, but also take a look at a few others. The new space sets were modeled after the old sets- and they worked. It all depends on who does it. It could be a complete disaster, but it does have an interesting new direction in it, which I think TLC needs to try.

mando_helmet_viking_2.png

I second that notion mister mandolorian.