SirCharles1977

Imperial Star Destroyer Intimidator MOC-77525

I introduce you to my first major LEGO MOC-77525 The Imperial Star Destroyer Intimidator!

I created this over 15 months of designing in Stud.io, collecting parts, building, back to Stud.io for redesigns, collecting more parts, rince and repeat!!  It was a major undertaking but I succeeded in making what I believe is a beautiful piece of LEGO art!

Its 19,635 pieces, 59.5 inches long and weighs 43.7 lbs.   

I will let the rest speak for itself!

40430907173_7a965ae89f_b.jpgFinal Showoff Photo by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

33520526178_63b6197eea_b.jpgFinal Showoff Photo Back by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

40430906323_3438461e9c_b.jpgBridge by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

40430896193_bd603ef7eb_b.jpg20190119_225709 by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

40430906163_23ac3f7c98_b.jpg20190315_174414 by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

32455029177_6ae801f341_b.jpg20190316_104500 by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

33520525428_a31f5a92a4_b.jpg20190311_231147 by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

33520525238_da4f8b977a_b.jpg20190119_230032 by Charles Anderson, on Flickr

You can see more about it by following these links.

Making of Youtube video:  https://youtu.be/f_sfTVNHPJI

Flickr Stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137361747@N04/with/40430906323/

Rebrickable post if you wanna build one yourself!  Yes..you heard that.  INSTRUCTIONS!!  3313 glorious pages of them!  https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-23104/CharlesRAnderson/isd-intimidator-77525/#comments

Truly fantastic, and a hell of a first post! The proportions are spot on, and the scale allowed you to capture the details of the Devastator/Mk I turrets in a way I've never seen before. Ever since I heard the original studio model used parts from plastic model kits, I've suspected that three turrets on each side had their origins in a Panzer II.

Also, I did see the build on your Facebook page after you messaged me, but these new pictures do it justice! I've enjoyed picking out the tiny number of design choices borrowed from the Tyrant, and consider it a great compliment :) Jeez, between this, Onecase's Monarch, and the rumored UCS set this year, we seem to be entering a new era of Star Destroyer options.

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Jeez, between this, Onecase's Monarch, and the rumored UCS set this year, we seem to be entering a new era of Star Destroyer options.

Hey, don't forget your own awesome version. :) But yeah, I want one of them on display in my man cave, but the last few days have made it incredibly hard to choose one. Everyone are 10/10.

I wondered if this would appear here. I actually saw it on Rebrickable last night and couldn’t quite believe what I was looking at. I just watched your YouTube video, which, as a burgeoning Lego SD obsessive (I just built a midi scale SD moc) I found absolutely fascinating. I’m stunned at the work you’ve put in here, not just with the attention to detail on the model itself but with the instructions and the insight into the building process (a rare thing to see from moc builders at your level). If I ever actually find enough space to store this (and money to pay for it) I’ll build this in a heartbeat. Or,.. several months of heartbeats.

Edited by Rubblemaker

This just exploded on scene out of nowhere!  Outstanding job what a massive masterpiece.  I like that you went with the ANH version; this is worthy of the Devastator!

Amazing! Star destroyers do seem to be popping out everywhere!

The details are spot on, and the turrets are very well replicated!

How interesting would it be if we put Jeracs, Onecases, Raskolnikovs and yours together...

Edited by Reaper

10 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Truly fantastic, and a hell of a first post! The proportions are spot on, and the scale allowed you to capture the details of the Devastator/Mk I turrets in a way I've never seen before. Ever since I heard the original studio model used parts from plastic model kits, I've suspected that three turrets on each side had their origins in a Panzer II.

Also, I did see the build on your Facebook page after you messaged me, but these new pictures do it justice! I've enjoyed picking out the tiny number of design choices borrowed from the Tyrant, and consider it a great compliment :) Jeez, between this, Onecase's Monarch, and the rumored UCS set this year, we seem to be entering a new era of Star Destroyer options.

Yeah man thanks for the compliments!!!  Your Tyrant was definitely an inspiration for me wanting to do this.  I actually bought the Aggressor with every intention of building it.  Got about half of the parts and was getting ready to start and it occured to me that it was only 37" long.  For some reason I thought it was bigger at first.  I decided then that I wanted a bigger model and your Tyrant wasn't available for sale so I set out to make my own.  The rest as they say is history!!  ;)

Yes we have some amazing Star Destroyer Models out there to choose from.  It would be amazing to see them all lined up together in a room so we could really do a side by side.  But that's not likely to happen unless someone sets out to build them all by themselves!

7 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

I wondered if this would appear here. I actually saw it on Rebrickable last night and couldn’t quite believe what I was looking at. I just watched your YouTube video, which, as a burgeoning Lego SD obsessive (I just built a midi scale SD moc) I found absolutely fascinating. I’m stunned at the work you’ve put in here, not just with the attention to detail on the model itself but with the instructions and the insight into the building process (a rare thing to see from moc builders at your level). If I ever actually find enough space to store this (and money to pay for it) I’ll build this in a heartbeat. Or,.. several months of heartbeats.

Thanks man, I really appreciate your kind words.  If you ever decide to build the Intimidator hit me up if you have any questions.  I love being involved!

7 hours ago, Reaper said:

Amazing! Star destroyers do seem to be popping out everywhere!

The details are spot on, and the turrets are very well replicated!

How interesting would it be if we put Jeracs, Onecases, Raskolnikovs and yours together...

The turrets did get pretty close.  The unfortunate part is they had to be slightly larger than they should be in order to get them to look right.  Same with the Bridge.  Someday maybe I will decide to redesign those to try to get them closer to scale.  Probably not though...too many other projects!!  ;)

Yeah I would LOVE to see them all together in one place!  That would blow my mind!!

Forgive my ignorance regarding SDs, but could one of you please refer me to the source material for the turrets? My initial search came up empty.  I'm so accustomed to seeing small quad or octuple batteries that appear very discreet. These on the other hand are massive and almost look cartoonist to my uneducated eye. 

10 minutes ago, K_W said:

Forgive my ignorance regarding SDs, but could one of you please refer me to the source material for the turrets? My initial search came up empty.  I'm so accustomed to seeing small quad or octuple batteries that appear very discreet. These on the other hand are massive and almost look cartoonist to my uneducated eye. 

Here is the most of the reference I used.

This is the Devastator, which is the model used in ANH for the opening crawl scene and other scenes.  http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=11205  This is the one that has the turrets I used.  I did most of my reference here or by watching ANH and Rogue One.

This is the Avenger, it was the model used in Empire and is (so I have been told) based on the Devastator model that was used in ANH but remodeled to be slightly different.  http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=59701

and you had to do instructions :D god damnit, how can i now resist build this for myself.

Fantastic work

Never noticed before that one of these turrets was from a M113 model kit :laugh: Nice reproduction of that small detail (amongst others!) and overall an awesome Intimidator!

Edited by ontheslipway

1 hour ago, kajrehn said:

and you had to do instructions :D god damnit, how can i now resist build this for myself.

Fantastic work

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...hahahaHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha"

8 hours ago, ontheslipway said:

Never noticed before that one of these turrets was from a M113 model kit :laugh: Nice reproduction of that small detail (amongst others!) and overall an awesome Intimidator!

Thanks!  Yeah finding the smallest details I could reproduce in any shape was a huge part of the challenge for me.  The face of the bridge was a lot of fun.  That particular part I spent a lot of time trying to get it as accurate as possible.

Awesome!!! Just purchased your instructions...terrific work!!! Now just waiting for Onecase's Isd release.

Now with the Intimidator, Monarch and Aggressor, will be a hell of a fleet to fight???. Thank you, SirCharles.

p.s. I wasn't able to download the xml list..could be a problem with the file?

36 minutes ago, Banzayn said:

Awesome!!! Just purchased your instructions...terrific work!!! Now just waiting for Onecase's Isd release.

Now with the Intimidator, Monarch and Aggressor, will be a hell of a fleet to fight???. Thank you, SirCharles.

p.s. I wasn't able to download the xml list..could be a problem with the file?

Thanks!!  If you build all 3 of those PLEASE post pictures of them all standing side by side so we can compare!  I really wanna see that!

So others have purchased it and I have yet to hear an issue with the xml file.  Could you explain what you are seeing exactly?  Might wanna send an email to support@rebrickable.com and see if they can help.  If the file is bad I am happy to upload another but if your the only one having issues then the assumption would have to be that is a local problem and we need to debug a different way.

truly amazing design, respect for your work and such accuracy... is March ISD MOC month here? Everyone is showing their respective Venator MOC this month ^^

4 hours ago, SirCharles1977 said:

Thanks!!  If you build all 3 of those PLEASE post pictures of them all standing side by side so we can compare!  I really wanna see that!

So others have purchased it and I have yet to hear an issue with the xml file.  Could you explain what you are seeing exactly?  Might wanna send an email to support@rebrickable.com and see if they can help.  If the file is bad I am happy to upload another but if your the only one having issues then the assumption would have to be that is a local problem and we need to debug a different way.

Hi again..maybe I'm missing something, but when I try to download the xml, it reads "this Xml file does not appear to have any style information with it.The document tree is shown below"..and actually I can see the open file, but can'tsave it.

thanks again?

You can always just add the partslist manually, that's what I do when it bugs. :)

Click Inventory > Export Parts > Bricklink XML > Copy everything > Go to Bricklink > Want > Upload > Upload Bricklink XML format > Paste everything (don't forget to choose which Wanted List) > Proceed to verify items > Accept > Done!

I assume all blue parts on the re-brickable page can be any colour? This would mean that there are 4700ish pieces that can be of any colour. This plus de-commissioning a few UCS sets makes this tempting...….

Does anyone have a magic way of getting 98115 ? From Europe I can only find two sellers that actually ship to meand each of them only has one in stock.

3 hours ago, AfolFree said:

Does anyone have a magic way of getting 98115 ? From Europe I can only find two sellers that actually ship to meand each of them only has one in stock.

Just buy the set they come in.

15 hours ago, danielwerner said:

You can always just add the partslist manually, that's what I do when it bugs. :)

Click Inventory > Export Parts > Bricklink XML > Copy everything > Go to Bricklink > Want > Upload > Upload Bricklink XML format > Paste everything (don't forget to choose which Wanted List) > Proceed to verify items > Accept > Done!

Thanks for the tip, Daniel?

17 hours ago, Banzayn said:

Hi again..maybe I'm missing something, but when I try to download the xml, it reads "this Xml file does not appear to have any style information with it.The document tree is shown below"..and actually I can see the open file, but can'tsave it.

thanks again?

Did you download it by clicking on it and opening it in a browser?  or did you right-click and do "save link as"?   I just tested it and saving the link works fine from what I can tell.

16 hours ago, danielwerner said:

You can do this but as I said in the Description, I don't recommend you use the parts list from Rebrickable.  When I uploaded it the list it created was incomplete, and it messed up a bunch of my colors which I could not fix properly.  Highly recommend you use the xml or bsx that comes with the download.

4 hours ago, Hunter003 said:

I assume all blue parts on the re-brickable page can be any colour? This would mean that there are 4700ish pieces that can be of any colour. This plus de-commissioning a few UCS sets makes this tempting...….

Yes that is correct.  They are actually listed as [No color/Any color] if you look in the description.  They wouldnt come in as green because those parts dont exist in green in the database.  And so I switched them to no color.   But see my last post about the parts list on rebrickable...

20 minutes ago, cavegod said:

Just buy the set they come in.

This was one of the hardest parts for me to find also.  Noone seems to have more than 1 or 2 of them at the most.  I dont have any suggestions other than to just wait and keep looking or do as Cavegod suggested.

3 hours ago, AfolFree said:

Ebay. I just bought 2 complete death stars (top and bottom halves, each taken from 2 set 9676's) on ebay for £10.99, free shipping. I should say though that I plan to use them for onecases Monarch as it looks like that uses the same pieces. So if it turns out I'm wrong once the instructions are available for that build I'll be selling them.

Edited by Rubblemaker