Just now, zweifuss said:

@polymaker I know this is a 'pie-in-the-sky' request, but could an algorithm be developed to generate collisions based off the geometry? This is coming from a 3D-modeling noob here, so please ignore this request if it's ludicrous. I guess if that's ridiculous, would it be possible to import collision boxes from a similar part, so that the task of creating collisions can be simplified? I'm wondering how the LDD coders did these collisions, surely they had a script or program to generate the basic blocks, and then they just manipulated them by hand after...

I vote for it too :pir-grin:

14 minutes ago, jester said:
15 minutes ago, zweifuss said:

@polymaker I know this is a 'pie-in-the-sky' request, but could an algorithm be developed to generate collisions based off the geometry? This is coming from a 3D-modeling noob here, so please ignore this request if it's ludicrous. I guess if that's ridiculous, would it be possible to import collision boxes from a similar part, so that the task of creating collisions can be simplified? I'm wondering how the LDD coders did these collisions, surely they had a script or program to generate the basic blocks, and then they just manipulated them by hand after...

I vote for it too :pir-grin:

i love the idea! But at first glance it look a bit complex to implement and I don't have the spare time in the moment.

But with the current version of Brick Studio you can easily (enough) move, rotate and scale collisions with the 3D editor (or enter them by values in the textboxes).
You can also duplicate collisions with an option in the right-click menu.

I also had in mind to implement someday a feature to make linear/radial repetitions like some CAD software do. It would be helpful for circular parts when you need to place multiples box in a circle.

Just now, jester said:

@polymaker it would be cool to add possibility to dublicate group of collision boxes

I thought I made it possible but it looks like I forgot to do it! It will be possible in the next release.

Help, I have trouble in initialize the last version of brick studio. When I open the .exe file, it apear a message: .Net framework exception. What can I do wrong? Thanks for the help.

Hello, here it is my parts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VocMGdgnqqcg8odHp-U2zxbdRbj5kYuD/view?usp=sharing.

Notes: 

1. Maybe most of the parts (if not all of theme) need corrections in the center origins.
  2. The same aply to connectivity.
  3. Before you ask questions: these part 2552.png (part 2552) is no decable; I use the tutorial made by @jester. I try to do it decable but without success.
  4. And these part 2991.png (part 2991) is as you can see: without the connections in the angled section. If someone want to fix it I appreciate a lot.

If you have troubles, just write it and I try to fix it.

Thanks to all of you; specialy @jester (for the hard work in particular the video tutorial) and @polymaker (in helping me to initialize the software).

@polymaker Thank you so much for the Alpha v0.2 build and congratulations on getting married!

Is there any way to have more manual control over the generation of outlines? I've been working on an updated minifigure torso, but am getting strange artifacts when it comes to the shoulder. The imported model was created using separate shells for the front, side, and top (and hardened normals along the edges of said shells) which I would expect to be more than enough to generate outlines, yet they seem to fall-off near the corner.

z71VFws.png

8 hours ago, ProfessorBrickkeeper said:

@polymaker Thank you so much for the Alpha v0.2 build and congratulations on getting married!

You're welcome and thank you!

8 hours ago, ProfessorBrickkeeper said:

Is there any way to have more manual control over the generation of outlines? I've been working on an updated minifigure torso, but am getting strange artifacts when it comes to the shoulder. The imported model was created using separate shells for the front, side, and top (and hardened normals along the edges of said shells) which I would expect to be more than enough to generate outlines, yet they seem to fall-off near the corner.

For now there is not much you can do. About the line that is falling-off, I think it has to do with "hard-edge" detection. When the face normal of the adjacent faces of an edge have more than 35 degrees of difference the edge is considered "hard" and surrounding triangles will have outlines.
My bet is because of the bevel the difference is less than 35°.

I will make this number configurable in the near future. I'm also working on a better algorithm.
I am also thinking of a way to allow to select the hard edge manually but for this I need to implement edge-picking with the mouse and I have other things to finish before that.

But yeah, generating the outlines is not an easy task. I explain it a little in the documentation on my github but the outlines are actually a texture with a line that is mapped to each triangle. Each triangle has 6 possible mappings divided in three pairs that controls if the textures are combined by union or intersection.

Great explanation on edge detection. Would you know any reason for these outlines to be there other then being ‘pretty’. Is there any practical use ?

6 minutes ago, Kuramapika1 said:

@jesterI just followed your instructions in the video, no more no less.

You just say that you made this ornament from faces?

On 7/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, Marco_Flower said:

Hi, does anyone know the procedure to update the db for LDD MAC version?

Welcome to Eurobricks, the report function is only used if you think some post is violating rules. I now use Studio (bricklink) on my Mac.

7 hours ago, M2m said:

Great explanation on edge detection. Would you know any reason for these outlines to be there other then being ‘pretty’. Is there any practical use ?

The outlines are only an aesthetical feature that can be turned off. It serves no other purposes.

My guess is that it was intended to simulate bevels (rounded edges) and tolerance gaps. If you make a solid brick wall without the outlines enabled, you'll only see a solid wall whereas in real life you can easily see each distinctive bricks.

Nobody knows a workaround to the bug? 

EDIT:

Okay found it! 

06-2020 [version 200517]  will break LDD completely. Do not download this version. 
Sadly the next 08-07-2020 [version 200708]  version does not include the 4 ball joint wheel hub part even though the list says it should. 

I again ask if anybody has an updated DB folder they could send me? 
So far i can either get some of the parts while crashing the whole LDD by opening certain categories (wheels and tyres) or just have no new parts at all. Which sucks. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

1 hour ago, Mechbuilds said:

I again ask if anybody has an updated DB folder they could send me? 
So far i can either get some of the parts while crashing the whole LDD by opening certain categories (wheels and tyres) or just have no new parts at all. Which sucks

I will send you the updated Primitives rar file tomorrow. I will look into the problems you have since I don't have any problems with them, nor have I heard anyone else about it...

35 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I will send you the updated Primitives rar file tomorrow. I will look into the problems you have since I don't have any problems with them, nor have I heard anyone else about it...

Thank you so much! 

Just as a suggestion: each time a new patch is released, it should contain everything from the past so you don't have to download everything from first patch to last. 
That way you can just download the new patch if you just happen to stumble on this for the first time. And if the newest patch isn't stable for some reason, (bugs and issues) then you can download the previous patch until the new patch is fixed. 

@polymaker Hey, great work on Brick Studio. Minor bug, but in the Connection parameters for Custom2DFields, the SubType doesn't see to save when you press enter or select another field, and reverts if a different element is selected. This means that the connection always gets stuck as default subtype 23, unless copied over from an existing brick.

Just now, ProfessorBrickkeeper said:

@polymaker Hey, great work on Brick Studio. Minor bug, but in the Connection parameters for Custom2DFields, the SubType doesn't see to save when you press enter or select another field, and reverts if a different element is selected. This means that the connection always gets stuck as default subtype 23, unless copied over from an existing brick.

Connection is not finished yet

Will be available in future releases