Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

On 10/10/2023 at 12:22 PM, Gorilla94 said:

There will be Isildur for sure. They can reuse the broken Sword. I can't imagine they have us the mould without the Intention to use it more than once.

Any chances we get Witch-king? 

1 hour ago, Duke27 said:

Any chances we get Witch-king? 

I don't know. I am no leaker. I am just sure Isildur will be included (or a polybag), because the broken sword mould. Lego would not have gone the extra mile with the broken sword as a mould instead of a cheap sticker in Rivendell, if it was not meant to be reused... and where could it be reused? Also the scene of the ring being cut off is one of the most iconic ones in the Trilogy, one of two memorable ones of Sauron as a humanoid and Saurons Tower does not offer that much Lego could do in general.

To be honest I don't know. In case he will not appear: There is an impressive Chinese figure for little money. Just take that ones helmet and combine it with the original Nazghul :)

13 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

Lego would not have gone the extra mile with the broken sword as a mould instead of a cheap sticker in Rivendell, if it was not meant to be reused... and where could it be reused?

Narsil is just one (well, two) bits on a weapons sprue they were creating anyway. It was probably just as easy to do that than design an extra sticker.

13 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

To be honest I don't know. In case he will not appear: There is an impressive Chinese figure for little money. Just take that ones helmet and combine it with the original Nazghul :)

Which figure is this? I have never been able to find a cheap Witch King.

@MAB I am aware the production costs are pretty much non existing... I still doubt Lego would have done the ridiculously small effort for just one set 😅

I saw it on IG. It is not Koruit or Xinh, but another one. Wait a few months and they should be available on ebay, amazon and so on. I am personally not interested. My custom one is better.

21 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

@MAB I am aware the production costs are pretty much non existing... I still doubt Lego would have done the ridiculously small effort for just one set 😅

I saw it on IG. It is not Koruit or Xinh, but another one. Wait a few months and they should be available on ebay, amazon and so on. I am personally not interested. My custom one is better.

I got it but they are probably the worst quality knockoff figures I’ve ever seen. The Witch King helmet piece has extra plastic underneath (they all have it not just an error on one, I got several) and so the entire thing sticks up above the torso really high and looks terrible. Basically just doesn’t go down over the head all the way

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I got it but they are probably the worst quality knockoff figures I’ve ever seen. The Witch King helmet piece has extra plastic underneath (they all have it not just an error on one, I got several) and so the entire thing sticks up above the torso really high and looks terrible. Basically just doesn’t go down over the head all the way

And THIS is why lego keeps us coming back. There are lots of off-brand options out there, but quality is such a dice roll. Sometimes great, sometimes meh, sometimes just awful.

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Oh, ok. On the picture it looked great. Maybe you can use plastic polisher to remove it and remove some of the material inside of the helmet with a sharp blade. To be honest this is a bit of a relief. Put a bunch of work into my custom resin print and was already annoyed over the wasted time^^'

Edited by Gorilla94

On 10/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, MAB said:

Sauron does have long legs though, he is about nine foot tall in the movies. So longer legs would work and would look even better is paired with an extended torso, but that would need to go between legs and torso unlike the Garmadon ones that go on top. But even without extending the torso, longer legs would be fine to give him some height above the men/elves.

Sauron Big-fig!! 

4 hours ago, Rjbricks said:

Sauron Big-fig!! 

That is a cursed thought…watch them use the gigantic Bionicle Sauron you fight in the lego video game lol

The minifig from the game would be fine. The big helmet gives the impression of him being tall

Just a random thought... I wonder how the upcoming Barad-dur will scale beside the previous Orthanc set.

4 hours ago, hikouki said:

Just a random thought... I wonder how the upcoming Barad-dur will scale beside the previous Orthanc set.

Definitely gonna be taller! It‘ll probably make it look rather puny in comparison :laugh:  It‘s at least twice as expensive after all (maybe less with inflation and price hikes over the last 10 years accounted for tho)!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Definitely gonna be taller! It‘ll probably make it look rather puny in comparison :laugh:  It‘s at least twice as expensive after all (maybe less with inflation and price hikes over the last 10 years accounted for tho)!

Yikes! Knowing how tall the Orthanc set is, that’s going to be huge!

I don’t know if it will be much taller tho. I suspect the base will be a bit wider so some of the additional budget would probably go to that.

Edited by Legopls

I would be awesome if it came with a little Orthanc model to scale, it’s not often illustrated the difference in size of the two, Barad-dur is like a mountain 

1 hour ago, Bugbot20082 said:

I would be awesome if it came with a little Orthanc model to scale, it’s not often illustrated the difference in size of the two, Barad-dur is like a mountain 

That would be a great polybag GWP idea.

Although I don’t know I would end up displaying them together, since the symbolism of trying to use them as “The Two Towers” does seem to lose a bit of weight when one is ten times taller than the other. And obviously they’re not close at all geographically.

The leak for Barad-Dur said it would release "1st half of 2024". Is it safe to assume the tower will release around the same time Rivendell did, in March or so of next year?

4 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

The leak for Barad-Dur said it would release "1st half of 2024". Is it safe to assume the tower will release around the same time Rivendell did, in March or so of next year?

3 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I would assume it does, but I wouldn´t bet on it.

I would think Lego might spread out large, expensive sets over time. Is there a large set anticipated to release near that time next year, other than the Barad-dur?

1 minute ago, hikouki said:

I would think Lego might spread out large, expensive sets over time. Is there a large set anticipated to release near that time next year, other than the Barad-dur?

They are making that many Sets of that Size that you now have them releasing every month basically.

The only ones I am aware right now are the Modular Building for (likely) January and the Medieval Town Square, which is rumoured to release in March/April, so that one actually could be release at the same time as Barad-Dur. Or just Barad-Dur in March and the Village in April. Or something else

8 hours ago, hikouki said:

That's my hope, but man have they crammed some close together this fall. Venator and Avenger's Tower are only about 7 weeks apart, on top of the Orient Express in December. 

14 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Since we got a set number already, I‘d assume it‘s a 1HY set, regardless of what the leak specified :classic: I certainly hope it‘s going to be in March again!

On 10/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

That would be a great polybag GWP idea.

Although I don’t know I would end up displaying them together, since the symbolism of trying to use them as “The Two Towers” does seem to lose a bit of weight when one is ten times taller than the other. And obviously they’re not close at all geographically.

Yeah they’re really not even comparable. Which makes sense considering the book title is not referring to Barad-Dûr and Orthanc, even though the movie ran with that idea. The “Two Towers” actually refer to Orthanc and Minas Morgul, which is certainly more comparable considering in the book, one set of the heroes are dealing with Isengard while the other set of heroes are traveling through Morgul Vale

On 10/18/2023 at 2:45 AM, Bugbot20082 said:

Yeah the size difference is pretty significant even though it’s kind of hard to tell in the films. Barad-Dûr’s actual height is not explicitly told, but we can guess pretty close based on information we have. The base of Mount Doom is 3,000ft above the plain of Gorgoroth, with the upper cone rising another 1,500ft. The Sammath Naur (the doorway into Mount Doom) is located in the lower half of the upper cone. We also know that the Sammath Naur has a direct line of sight almost level to the Window of the Eye at the top of Barad-Dûr, making Barad-Dûr most likely around 3,500ft tall or so. Orthanc is only 500ft tall.

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

On 10/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, Gorilla94 said:

I bought one each of the Chinese Witch King and Sauron figures. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the helmets. There is a tiny bit of mould flare along the seams, but that can be trimmed before I paint them. They look very similar to expensive custom ones I've seen online, and much better than I can sculpt. Sauron's armour is pretty decent too. I don't use the fake figures but just use the accessories. The microfigure Sauron is quite cute too.