Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

I ordered mine 9:30am Sunday and got it today (Friday), not the worst delivery time from lego, and not the best, but about average, not sure when i will build it yet, also got some new billy bookcases today to sort out my storage woes, so they are first

Building my copy rn. Decided to build the gazebo section first as I find it the least enticing. Very fun build so far, love the small details. I can definitely see where 6000 pieces come from. I was also planning on swapping Gimlis beard with the old one but this new one doesn't look too bad. The orange kinda works while the brown doesn't. I'll keep it orange for now

Finished mine yesterday! 

52739859601_bca6afd20b_z.jpg

Amazing building experience, and I love how it looks on display. Definitely among my top 5 sets of all time, if not top 3 even :wub:

My set's supposed to arrive this evening. We'll see. :sceptic:

On 3/9/2023 at 10:45 PM, sahidko said:

Sure this is very easy to fix however I would have preferred the actual design to take that into account. Overall the whole chair thing was just pain to put together for me personally.

I'm not sure why they gave some of the minifigs [? Elrond & Frodo] the ability to sit down on a chair if they weren't going to give the chairs the ability to accommodate same. Seems a bit odd tbh. But as you say, an easy fix.

7 hours ago, th0r1n said:

My set's supposed to arrive this evening. We'll see. :sceptic:

I'm not sure why they gave some of the minifigs [? Elrond & Frodo] the ability to sit down on a chair if they weren't going to give the chairs the ability to accommodate same. Seems a bit odd tbh. But as you say, an easy fix.

I suspect it's the look of it. Studs in the chairs would look less elegant when they're not in use.

12 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Finished mine yesterday! 

52739859601_bca6afd20b_z.jpg

Amazing building experience, and I love how it looks on display. Definitely among my top 5 sets of all time, if not top 3 even :wub:

Your display is beautiful! I also want to display my pirate ambush by my Rivendell but it's a tight fit on my shelf. Do you think modding the back of the ship and removing the "bat wings" so it fits is worth it? Or is it ruining the model?

12 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

Your display is beautiful! I also want to display my pirate ambush by my Rivendell but it's a tight fit on my shelf. Do you think modding the back of the ship and removing the "bat wings" so it fits is worth it? Or is it ruining the model?

I don't really see the point of displaying the pirate ship ambush set by Rivendell, there is no link whatsoever between these two scenes... Besides, the pirate ship is the only LOTR set I did not buy, because I do not find it iconic at all (we only see it for a few seconds in the movie). But I did buy the King and Soldiers of the Dead minifigs on BL as they are great and I needed them for my Path of the Dead MOC :-)

Edited by Altair1

7 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I don't really see the point of displaying the pirate ship ambush set by Rivendell, there is no link whatsoever between these two scenes... Besides, the pirate ship is the only LOTR set I did not buy, because I do not find it iconic at all (we only see it for a few seconds in the movie). But I did buy the King and Soldiers of the Dead minifigs on BL as they are great and I needed them for my Path of the Dead MOC :-)

My rivendelll display is being attacked by mordor orcs, shelob, nazgul so the ship would just be carrying them to battle XD

16 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

My rivendelll display is being attacked by mordor orcs, shelob, nazgul so the ship would just be carrying them to battle XD

Haha OK I understand better now :-)

19 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

Thank you! :sweet: Personally, I‘m a purist, so removing parts is a no-no for me :grin: Maybe you can adjust your shelf a bit?

8 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I don't really see the point of displaying the pirate ship ambush set by Rivendell, there is no link whatsoever between these two scenes...

For me, it‘s a matter of space :tongue: I wouldn‘t display Rivendell so close to Jokerland if I had unlimited space

Just ordered one without figs and weapons for 330 Euro. A good option for me. The weapons are nice, but not too spectacular for a customizer like me who has loads of third party weapons already. Many Brickwarriors' swords are at least as good as the official ones. The only figs I really like are the gray Elves and I can buy one later. Elrond is nice, but I have the old one already. So it is 6000 parts for 330 Euro which I think is satisfying.

There is a guy in Italy who sells it for 280. Think about it: You could buy TWO and complete the other half of the house with this.

Edited by Wardancer

4 hours ago, Altair1 said:

Haha OK I understand better now :-)

Yeah just jammed all of my figures into the display even some OG ones :))))

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Thank you! :sweet: Personally, I‘m a purist, so removing parts is a no-no for me :grin: Maybe you can adjust your shelf a bit?

For me, it‘s a matter of space :tongue: I wouldn‘t display Rivendell so close to Jokerland if I had unlimited space

It doesn't fit unfortunately and I can only adjust my shelf up and down :( oh well! I have all my figures from that set on display so I'll just convert that ship into a bad guy ship for my pirates 

Finished my set finally!!! (Only need to finish that slim tree but I'm at work). Overall a beautiful set but looks much larger because of the huge roof. The set doesn't feel like $500 though. It's huge but the gazebo and tower part each feel like $100 or less while the main section feels like a $200 set if not less. I get why the set is so expensive and it is mesmerizing but it just doesn't FEEL like $500+ tax. 

1 hour ago, kuzyabricks said:

Yeah just jammed all of my figures into the display even some OG ones :))))

It doesn't fit unfortunately and I can only adjust my shelf up and down :( oh well! I have all my figures from that set on display so I'll just convert that ship into a bad guy ship for my pirates 

Finished my set finally!!! (Only need to finish that slim tree but I'm at work). Overall a beautiful set but looks much larger because of the huge roof. The set doesn't feel like $500 though. It's huge but the gazebo and tower part each feel like $100 or less while the main section feels like a $200 set if not less. I get why the set is so expensive and it is mesmerizing but it just doesn't FEEL like $500+ tax. 

We are going to say that about a lot of sets in the near future (doesn’t feel like $15, $20, $50, etc.).  Case in point mechs and new micro fighter.  None of it feels like 15 or 16 because it was 10 last year (Or even in January).  I think Rivendell is a $450 set if it was released last year but it is the first big set we are all interested in this year and we are feeling the price hikes from Lego.

Is it possible to build the whole thing on a series of baseplates to make the entire set a bit more stable?

I haven't built mine because I have not even received it from Lego yet!

That's actually one more gripe i have with the set. I don't expect connection that would enable me to lift it in one piece but something more firm than what we got would have been nice.

Edited by sahidko

17 hours ago, hikouki said:

Is it possible to build the whole thing on a series of baseplates to make the entire set a bit more stable?

I haven't built mine because I have not even received it from Lego yet!

You are probably better off using a sheet of wood/MDF if you want to move it around.

17 minutes ago, MAB said:

You are probably better off using a sheet of wood/MDF if you want to move it around.

I was actually hoping a MILS-type base would be possible for lighting, perhaps.

Anyone know when the next 2X VIP points is going to be?  I need some pick a brick to complete my LOTR Idea challenge submission.  Was hoping for a 2 VIP event for my order (no standard parts order as they take too long so I have two brick link orders to go along with it).

30 minutes ago, Lordhelmet said:

Anyone know when the next 2X VIP points is going to be?  I need some pick a brick to complete my LOTR Idea challenge submission.  Was hoping for a 2 VIP event for my order (no standard parts order as they take too long so I have two brick link orders to go along with it).

The last time we had 2x VIP points was mid-February, so since Lego usually does it 4 times a year, the next one will likely be at some point within the next 3 months.

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

The last time we had 2x VIP points was mid-February, so since Lego usually does it 4 times a year, the next one will likely be at some point within the next 3 months.

Bummer, I try to do my pick a brick orders against 2xVIP but the deadline with the LOTR ideas challenge means I need to order by the 22nd at the latest.

For those who are interested in MOCing, here's a histogram of the part category and color distribution of set 10316. It may help to decide if that set contains the types of parts you want.

1280x629.png

On 3/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Finished mine yesterday! 

What would be your top 5 sets out of interest?

13 minutes ago, Rjbricks said:

What would be your top 5 sets out of interest?

In no specific order:

• Rivendell
  • UCS Millennium Falcon (2017)
  • Disney Castle
  • Diagon Alley
  • The Upside Down

38 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

In no specific order:

• Rivendell
  • UCS Millennium Falcon (2017)
  • Disney Castle
  • Diagon Alley