Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

4 hours ago, Shroffy123 said:

Receive an email from Lego this morning. They told me they haven't produced in over a decade, and told me to go to brinklink 😒

I understand the part isn't made anymore, but for how much lego costs, the piece should break easily.

Would it be wrong for me to use superglue on the horse to fix it?

It's fine to glue it but if it has cracked in the middle then you might need to glue in a saddle or brick depending on how you will use it.

Lego is going to send me a replacement part. Really awesome on Lego's part. They truly have some of the best customer service. 

Just need to continue to be extra careful with my Radagast minifig as they don't have those in stocks anymore. 

14 minutes ago, Shroffy123 said:

Lego is going to send me a replacement part. Really awesome on Lego's part. They truly have some of the best customer service. 

Just need to continue to be extra careful with my Radagast minifig as they don't have those in stocks anymore. 

That is pretty awesome.  My radagast is missing the brown feather (I have a white one instead).  Too bad they stopped making that part in that color.

You'd think that one of the many sprays for seized-up items would be suitable for plastic, and allow the arms to loosen a bit. Probably warrants a cheap test subject rather than a rare minifig, but I would start with WD-40 of course! :laugh:

15 hours ago, Artanis I said:

You'd think that one of the many sprays for seized-up items would be suitable for plastic, and allow the arms to loosen a bit. Probably warrants a cheap test subject rather than a rare minifig, but I would start with WD-40 of course! :laugh:

Soapy water works also and you don't have to use chemicals.  

Both soap and water are chemicals, but I know what you mean :wink: - and that is good information too

You have to be a bit careful with WD-40 as it can remove prints if left on for too long. If arms feel tight, moving them gently can help but make sure the torso is held so the arm only goes back and forth with no twist sideways.

I've also noticed some tightness/cracking on some minifigures. (My uruks are especially tight. :sceptic:)

I read somewhere that it was better to store the minifigures without accessories. Any truth to that?

1 hour ago, Ben S said:

I've also noticed some tightness/cracking on some minifigures. (My uruks are especially tight. :sceptic:)

I read somewhere that it was better to store the minifigures without accessories. Any truth to that?

Hands can crack and if left for years they might become used to holding a weapon or whatever and so become slightly lose. However, the main reason for not leaving them holding accessories is that they stick out and if they are knocked or pushed in storage then it may cause twisting at the joints. They also take up less room if stored with arms by their sides, no weapons are held and no excessively large headgear is attached.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:42 PM, MAB said:

Hands can crack and if left for years they might become used to holding a weapon or whatever and so become slightly lose. However, the main reason for not leaving them holding accessories is that they stick out and if they are knocked or pushed in storage then it may cause twisting at the joints. They also take up less room if stored with arms by their sides, no weapons are held and no excessively large headgear is attached.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense :thumbup:

Honestly, I don´t think it would look good and there are better versions how they could depict it. Not sure what would be a good choice, though since it depends a lot on how big it needs to be in the set.

21 hours ago, ian74 said:

Regarding the upcoming Barad dur, does anyone else suspect the yellow sphere/sun from the Technic planet earth and moon in orbit (https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/planet-earth-and-moon-in-orbit-42179) will be the eye of Sauron (with print/sticker?)  I'm calling it now.

The centrepiece here might have been designed with LotR in mind;

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/catalog/sets/product.page?S=71469-1

Edited by Yoggington
typo

On 2/28/2024 at 1:13 AM, kuzyabricks said:

The leak looks brick built

The leak was also a preliminary image, so the build has potentially been updated since then. 

That said, I do think it being brick built would make much more sense and look a lot better for the eye atop Barad-dûr. 

It’s almost a guarantee that they will build the Eye so that it can be lit be a light brick. So probably made of trans orange/yellow/red parts with a light brick underneath

8 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

It’s almost a guarantee that they will build the Eye so that it can be lit be a light brick. So probably made of trans orange/yellow/red parts with a light brick underneath

Doesn´t seem unlikely they would want to use a lightbrick there, but I am not sure, where they would want to hide it, without making the eye to big. Sure you could place the brick behind the eye, but then it would only look great when you look from the front - and we would expect some interior so the backside view should also have the eye visible. 

Only other version I can think of, as the sides that "hold" the eye don´t have much space either would be from the bottom - but I would expect some space between the eye and the tower with only having contact between both on the sides.

I would have a small connection with the base, so that the light brick can work. It probably wouldn't look terrible, and it would allow you to have very thin connections at the side, which would look a lot better than heavily reinforced connections.

What the really need to do is come up with a more powerful light, and ideally one that can run off USB, so it can be on indefinitely!

Last night I dreamed that I was walking through the toy section of a store and discovered several LOTR sets from a cheap alternative brand to LEGO. There was a set of the confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog and a big set of Helm's Deep with Gimli, Aragorn Legolas and Uruk-hai.

8 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

Last night I dreamed that I was walking through the toy section of a store and discovered several LOTR sets from a cheap alternative brand to LEGO. There was a set of the confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog and a big set of Helm's Deep with Gimli, Aragorn Legolas and Uruk-hai.

That reminds me of a dream I had not long ago in which I found some rohirrim minifigures. :laugh_hard:

We really need lotr sets Lol 

Not the OP or the original designer, but I built the MOC pictured here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/s/BsuO3qaOgJ

a couple years back. It has a great eye of Sauron design. Tilts up and down, pivots side to side, lights up with a light brick, and reasonably minimal connections at the sides. Not everything about this MOC is super sturdy, but he knocked it out of the park with the eye design.

1 hour ago, mtrsteve said:

Not the OP or the original designer, but I built the MOC pictured here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/s/BsuO3qaOgJ

a couple years back. It has a great eye of Sauron design. Tilts up and down, pivots side to side, lights up with a light brick, and reasonably minimal connections at the sides. Not everything about this MOC is super sturdy, but he knocked it out of the park with the eye design.

This is a cool MOC, I also like the fell beasts flying around outside.  Really hoping we get something like this on the official.  (Would be cool to have one of the rooms be a fell beast stable)  That way we could get a mini fig scale one with some micro scale ones on the outside.  maybe the stable could include another black horse with the red eyes too.  That could give us the armory, a stable, a throne room, some sorcery room, and a dungeon.   We could get Sauron, 7 orcs, sam and Frodo, maybe a troll, fell beast, 2 wraiths and horse.  (12 minifigs, two big figs, one animal).  New moulds would have to be Suaron's helmet, troll/fell beast, and maybe one for orc armor.