Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

On 2/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, mtrsteve said:

My vote is for an Eowyn vs witch king (+fellbeast).

Or if that's too much to ask for, a detailed Faramir figure polybag with a spare set of Gondor armor and a 2 piece horn of Gondor accessory 

As much as I want to see Eowyn vs Witch-King become a set I don't think it should be locked behind a GWP. Its too big a scene for such a limited release window and the high cost requirement to get it. It really deserves a wide release.

The Faramir polybag is a nice idea though. Its a great way to get the character into the line early and doesn't rule him out of appearing in future sets for anyone who misses out.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:38 AM, sebastian666 said:

I think a fell beast with a basic Ringwraith as a GWP would be the perfect compliment to Barad-Dur. The fell beast isn’t a proper dragon, more like a worm with wings, so I don’t think the piece count would be crazy. I’d be okay with waiting for the Witchking in a bigger set (which is what I assume LEGO will do since he is such a desirable minifig).

The head and neck of the Basilisk could work quite well if Lego ever does an official Fell Beast.

basilisk03.jpg

37 minutes ago, wesker said:

As much as I want to see Eowyn vs Witch-King become a set I don't think it should be locked behind a GWP. Its too big a scene for such a limited release window and the high cost requirement to get it. It really deserves a wide release.

The Faramir polybag is a nice idea though. Its a great way to get the character into the line early and doesn't rule him out of appearing in future sets for anyone who misses out.

The head and neck of the Basilisk could work quite well if Lego ever does an official Fell Beast.

basilisk03.jpg

It’s not terrible but a fell beast definitely deserves a new head mold

I'm going to wait several years because I have no money and will be spending all the money I do have on LUGBulk and BDP 2. 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:02 PM, mtrsteve said:

My vote is for an Eowyn vs witch king (+fellbeast).

GWP sets don't feature new parts though, which the Witch King would require :tongue: An exclusive print or two is all you can expect there, at most!

Also, wouldn't we have heard about a GWP set by now, if there was going to be one? We knew about the delayed GWP that was supposed to be released alongside the Jazz club modular months in advance (the one that leaked today).

What other sets of this size/price have not had a specific gwp?  I am just curious as I don’t really know the icons line, and Orthanc is my biggest Lego set I have ever purchased (so nothing this size or scale).  My only reference for sets this big are the Eiffel Tower and Star Wars UCS which I think had them, but I could be mistaken.  Just curious.

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

What other sets of this size/price have not had a specific gwp?  I am just curious as I don’t really know the icons line, and Orthanc is my biggest Lego set I have ever purchased (so nothing this size or scale).  My only reference for sets this big are the Eiffel Tower and Star Wars UCS which I think had them, but I could be mistaken.  Just curious.

Titanic, Loop Coaster, Real Madrid, and Haunted House didn't have a specific GWP. Eiffel Tower and Colosseum did. And you could also argue that Lion Knights' Castle did, but it wasn't exclusive and was released before the castle, and then sold out immediately on the second release when the castle went live (Forest Hideout). These are just the Icons sets currently available, but past ones have also been mixed.

7 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Titanic, Loop Coaster, Real Madrid, and Haunted House didn't have a specific GWP. Eiffel Tower and Colosseum did. And you could also argue that Lion Knights' Castle did, but it wasn't exclusive and was released before the castle, and then sold out immediately on the second release when the castle went live (Forest Hideout). These are just the Icons sets currently available, but past ones have also been mixed.

Thanks, good information here.  Definitely a mixed for icons.  Hopefully the march gwp is good if we don’t get a dedicated one.  

If LOTR is as big as we think, and this is also D2C, then LEGO might decide a GWP is unnecessary. The watermarked image is interesting though, as don't they normally appear only in retailer catalogues suggesting it might not be a D2C set.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

If LOTR is as big as we think, and this is also D2C, then LEGO might decide a GWP is unnecessary. The watermarked image is interesting though, as don't they normally appear only in retailer catalogues suggesting it might not be a D2C set.

I don't think it's a D2C set.

I mean, the first time we heard about this set was from a regular retailer. It might be exclusive to LEGO for a month or a few, but eventually it will be available in retailers around the world.

What if they these large D2C( or not actually D2Cs but huge sets) sets for the Peter Jackson Lord of the rings Trilogy and then we get a few system sets for rings of power ( as it was mentioned on the website description) and then hopefully they'll branch off and do system sets for the lotr and Hobbit movies and then war of the rohhorim too.

Of course we might not get anything from rings of power, after all website descriptions can be wrong *cough* Klarion the witch boy *cough*. Whilst RoP didn't quite live up to the Jackson films, it was still enjoyable and I'd get sets from it if they were made.

9 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

…then we get a few system sets for rings of power ( as it was mentioned on the website description)

Maybe. As far as I’m aware, RoP merch doesn’t exist yet due to rights discussions, but once that gets settled, they might actually do something for S2 :shrug_oh_well:

25 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Maybe. As far as I’m aware, RoP merch doesn’t exist yet due to rights discussions, but once that gets settled, they might actually do something for S2 :shrug_oh_well:

Please don't. :D Hope they focus on the original trilogy and potentially the new animated movie rather than that Amazon thing...

45 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

What if they these large D2C( or not actually D2Cs but huge sets) sets for the Peter Jackson Lord of the rings Trilogy and then we get a few system sets for rings of power ( as it was mentioned on the website description)

While my preference would always be for the original trilogy I honestly think rings of power would make for some great Lego sets. Regardless of whether it was a good show or not, I still think there's some sweet locations and cool figures that could come out of it. Plus it would always be nice to have more dwarf and elf minifig pieces to use in other things 

33 minutes ago, Timobricko said:

Plus it would always be nice to have more dwarf and elf minifig pieces to use in other things 

Indeed! While I have mixed feelings on the show and some of its designs (the short-haired elves in particular), a lot of the characters would make for cool minifigs, the dwarves and harfoots especially!

Still hoping for more long-haired elves in S2 :thumbup:

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I don't think it's a D2C set.

I mean, the first time we heard about this set was from a regular retailer. It might be exclusive to LEGO for a month or a few, but eventually it will be available in retailers around the world.

I really hope you're right. The biggest MSRP I'm willing to spend is €150. Anything more directly from LEGO and I just feel like I'm being ripped off. Any set over that price I've gotten was between €50 and €150 off. So if I can't find Rivendell below €450 I won't be getting it.

Man, I'm so bummed for kids, people with kids, and students. I really wish they'd just do system sets, or at least smaller, more affordable one-offs like the Tallneck.

Don't get me wrong y'all. That's still a ton of money for me, but I'm at least in a position where I'm able to consider it.

Edited by Alegrispa

It's great to see LOTR returning as a LEGO theme, and the dual moulded feet I envisioned would make for much improved hobbits at some point actually being a thing now is a cool development. While more affordable sets would be great, LOTR is exactly one of those themes where only larger and more detailed sets can do it justice. System sets are great for kids but I've long outgrown seeing them as display-worthy, most of them at least, so I welcome large sets in the HP D2C vein with open arms. Not that my wallet does, but let's find a way around that...

It's also awesome they've got the entire Fellowship in a single set, that way any future sets can bring variations of them. If that Barad-dûr set does come out, though, or any other sets with orcs for that matter, they better make the orcs as varied and cool looking as they are on-screen. The original theme's orcs had cool hairpieces and heads but were overall lackluster in terms of doing the movie orcs justice. Let them come in different colours, from olive green to dark tan to dark gray and brown and even sand blue.

Edited by General Magma

16 minutes ago, General Magma said:

While more affordable sets would be great, LOTR is exactly one of those themes where only larger and more detailed sets can do it justice. System sets are great for kids but I've long outgrown seeing them as display-worthy, most of them at least, so I welcome large sets in the HP D2C vein with open arms. Not that my wallet does, but let's find a way around that...

I fully disagree on that. The sets from back then were all beautifully designed and almost all of them are absolutely display worthy, even the Hobbit sets. Sure, they weren't that big, but that hardly mattered with how polished they were. They absolutely did the movies justice.

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

They absolutely did the movies justice.

Well, it depends which ones... Amongst all the LOTR and Hobbit sets, only three did the movies justice in my opinion: Orthanc, Helm's Deep and Bag End. The others were way too limited and interesting mostly for the minifigs.

Edited by Altair1

In my opinion LOTR is fantastic for many different styles and scales. It fits everything. Architecture style sets would look great, system scale playsets would look great, large scale and highly detailed D2C sets would look great, display helmets would look great, CMFs would look great, battle packs would look great, mosaics would look great. It fits everything. I think what most people (myself included) want most are system scale play sets, since they appeal to the widest range of people and are accessible to more people. I think that plus a D2C here and there is a great place to start. I think only having a D2C and nothing else is unwise for lego and could eventually backfire, causing the theme to die again. Rivendell has the advantage of being the first LOTR set in ten years. Three or four D2Cs from now people might get tired of forking out the money. I think regular playsets are the way to go, with a D2C here and there. Whether lego realizes that in time, who knows

Assuming Rivendell and Barad Dur are confirmed, there are several other locations which definitely require big sets: Minas Tirith, Edoras, Lothlorien... In addition I would not mind some smaller sets of course (such as battle packs for example).

Edited by Altair1

That's why I hope we won't get any ROP stuff. Yes it could include nice minifigs regardless of the show's "quality" but for me it would just mean one less set from original trilogy we could have had instead. There is so much potential to cover in those 3 movies.

Edited by sahidko

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

I fully disagree on that. The sets from back then were all beautifully designed and almost all of them are absolutely display worthy, even the Hobbit sets. Sure, they weren't that big, but that hardly mattered with how polished they were. They absolutely did the movies justice.

I'd only agree in regards to a few of them. Then again my standards for displayability are pretty high and tend to only be reached by a number of more recent larger sized sets and then it also depends in what way you'd display them.

56 minutes ago, General Magma said:

I'd only agree in regards to a few of them. Then again my standards for displayability are pretty high and tend to only be reached by a number of more recent larger sized sets and then it also depends in what way you'd display them.

I would also add that displayability shouldn’t be the only factor in releasing LOTR sets. There should also be a huge focus on minifigures, and if that means some sets focus more on figures while others focus more on builds, that’s fine with me. I love both

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth