Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Rivendell looks great from what I can tell, however, I feel 500€ is overpriced by at least 100€.. still, I will most likely get it due to fomo..

Judging by the fact that the goat mould in the one photo is in a placeholder colour, Barad-Dûr is still likely a while away before it could release.

1 minute ago, LegoAUT said:

Rivendell looks great from what I can tell, however, I feel 500€ is overpriced by at least 100€.. still, I will most likely get it due to fomo..

To be fair Lego prices have gone up so quickly recently that nearly every set seems overpriced now. 

Woooow this is quite the day for leaks. Both look awesome!! Rivendell looks great and has a wide selection of what appear to be great minifigures, and the buildings and trees and bridge and landscaping all look awesome. That Barad-Dur also looks massive and awesome, I really hope it will actually release, and the sooner the better. Everything looks great! And thanks for the heads up JeanGreyForever, I’m sorry I doubted you

The only way to make the Barad-Dûr set happen is by hyping it up to the roof. 

e.g.  say "I would buy two of them."

Then it will get noticed by LEGO. 

17 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

To be fair Lego prices have gone up so quickly recently that nearly every set seems overpriced now. 

Fair enough! And price/ piece is relatively decent for Lego..

23 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

Btw have y'all seen the village? Omg it's so good I just hope it's under $300 😩 what a day to be a LOTR/castle fan I just yope pirates gets the same treatment soon

Definitely interested in the village, just wish we got a better shot of the buildings.  Not a fan of them reusing the Bard dude's torso again though, feels like a copout for them tapping into CMF figures so much.

6 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Definitely interested in the village, just wish we got a better shot of the buildings.  Not a fan of them reusing the Bard dude's torso again though, feels like a copout for them tapping into CMF figures so much.

That's true. But honestly maybe they're all related to that one kid in the bard torso from the castle lol?

8 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Still a prototype, so hopefully they change that torso! 

Barad dur looks like microscale from what I see… but then, Rivendell, Medieval village (with GOAT!!!) and Snow White ´s cottage! Its medieval/fantasy orgasm! :) This year we also get Viking village, so I am totally pleased. 

1 minute ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Barad dur looks like microscale from what I see… but then, Rivendell, Medieval village (with GOAT!!!) and Snow White ´s cottage! Its medieval/fantasy orgasm! :) This year we also get Viking village, so I am totally pleased. 

Barad Dur is supposedly 33 inches tall or 5 inches taller than the Orthanc, so definitely not small, but I think it is more of a display piece than one for figures like Rivendell

The pictures I have seen a blurry, no idea how you managed to identify so many minifigs there :D

Better resolution pics of some of the other sets are being posted right now. I hope we get a better look at Rivendell as well.

So the only Rivendell photo I can find is on white_bricks_afol87 Instagram. I really like what I can see of it but it doesn’t look like 6000 pieces. Is there a better photo elsewhere?

46 minutes ago, TakeaBrick said:

The only way to make the Barad-Dûr set happen is by hyping it up to the roof. 

e.g.  say "I would buy two of them."

Then it will get noticed by LEGO. 

If you buy two, they will reach up to the roof when combined. :laugh:

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I mean it has to be real now. There’s no way someone faked that. Wow, Barad-Dûr looks amazing. These Lego designers are too good.
Also copyright 2023, so it’s probably coming later this year. Or maybe not?

Copyright 2023 just means that the image is copyrighted now. Doesn't mean that the set won't release in a future year (or at all).

Loving both of these. The fire at the base at top of Barad-Dur, along with the colour patches throughout help to give it a bit of texture and depth that Orthanc can sometimes lack.

Rivendell is awesome, and it would be amazing to get a second to MOC and extension, but oh my, with so much potentially to get in the next year or so, it might not be a good idea (money or space).

3 minutes ago, th0r1n said:

So the only Rivendell photo I can find is on white_bricks_afol87 Instagram. I really like what I can see of it but it doesn’t look like 6000 pieces. Is there a better photo elsewhere?

That’s the highest quality one we have right now. 

Just now, RichardGoring said:

If you buy two, they will reach up to the roof when combined. :laugh:

Copyright 2023 just means that the image is copyrighted now. Doesn't mean that the set won't release in a future year (or at all).

Loving both of these. The fire at the base at top of Barad-Dur, along with the colour patches throughout help to give it a bit of texture and depth that Orthanc can sometimes lack.

Rivendell is awesome, and it would be amazing to get a second to MOC and extension, but oh my, with so much potentially to get in the next year or so, it might not be a good idea (money or space).

Yeah, I realize that now. A lot of these sets are definitely need a lot of work, so they’ll probably be a while before they release. 

1 minute ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

You can find it on legoleaks hashtag. 

7 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Does it look like 6000 pieces to you? The image appears cut at the bottom. I’m wondering if there’s more build below. I hope so. Can’t wait for a clearer view. Not that I‘m complaining. I’m happy some kind soul threw us a leak. Even if it isn’t complete.

*Just found the Barad-Dur set. It’s spectacular. Looks like my Orthanc set will be getting some company. 

Edited by th0r1n
adding to original comment

7 minutes ago, th0r1n said:

Does it look like 6000 pieces to you? The image appears cut at the bottom. I’m wondering if there’s more build below. I hope so. Can’t wait for a clearer view. Not that I‘m complaining. I’m happy some kind soul threw us a leak. Even if it isn’t complete. 

I think the pictures are deceiving in regards to the size.  There is a lot of open space/base to it which make it looks like there is a not a lot of pieces.  (I thought it looked small at first glance, or not enough pieces).  After looking at the old council of Elrond set on my shelf though, the new set's council area is significantly bigger, which to me would indicate this set is huge.  Even the hobbits in the bottom left give some impression of the scale of the overall set.  I just think with the open space it is a bit deceptive with the size.

Also, I would guess that the roofline is about half the height as Orthanc (Just guessing based on the height of the mini figures in front of it) with the towers being higher.  I just think the open space and overall size in it is deceptive.

Edited by Lordhelmet

18 minutes ago, th0r1n said:

*Just found the Barad-Dur set. It’s spectacular. Looks like my Orthanc set will be getting some company. 

You want more rocks on base? :) Thats just waste of pieces. It depends on the overall depth and in this regard, I think that the set will be deep enough. And also we dont know nothing about interior details which are (as we know from modular theme) quite parts consuming :)

5 hours ago, The_Cook said:

Lego have been doing study groups for over 40 years, it's just that it's usually with children who don't go talking about it on the Interwebs. Usually the study groups are with concept images and prototype sets. This is known from various interviews with TLG designers over the years and is also explicitly mentioned in Daniel Konstanski's excellent The Secret Life Of Lego Bricks.

It's quite conceivable that the survey was done with prototype models to gain insight, should there be sufficient interest then those prototype models would need to be turned into production sets, the peer review, instruction generation and manufacturing and packing processes taking a non-trivial amount of time to complete.

The type of survey sounds exactly like a product features survey using ‘conjoint analysis’ in which respondents select between different features and price points. Every respondent doesn’t see every possible set of features and price point - that would be overwhelming. Instead, each respondent sees a small subset and by deduction across many respondents, LEGO’s market researchers are able to identify the most desirable features and what the price should be. There are other methods for determining price, but you can certainly use conjoint analysis for it.