Sign in to follow this  
The Stad

AoM Storehouse Phase 2: Sorgheim Stores

43744274352_ba2ee8c5a5_c.jpg

Many buildings in Sorgheim were dug into the hills that rose at the feet of the inland mountains, but the storehouse was dug down even further than most, protecting its contents from the bitter cold of the long northern winters.  Much of the building was made of timber, as this was easy to harvest and work into building material, but the foundations and columns were stone.  The stone on the ground kept rainwater from soaking into the wood and causing it to rot, and the columns held up the significant weight of the slate roof and snow that often laid on it for months at a time.  Inside, food was kept as dry as possible, and inventories were frequent to make sure nothing spoilt before it could be used to feed the village.

28855798807_b65ca739bc_c.jpg

Spoiler

A few more views to showcase the landscape elements.

43075478134_279700762b_c.jpg

43075465034_2d633d07fd_c.jpg

And my first full interior!

29921884418_7a1d2c30a7_c.jpg

The fourth and final section of a long project, I'll have pictures of the whole thing up later (they need a little polish before they're presentable).

C&C welcome as always.

Nice!  Sweet storehouse, and great way to spice up the landscaping with some elevation changes.  That birch I'd fantastic as well, and I'll echo Mythical on the roof!

I like how the cross section gives a view of the two layers of the building: the stone and the wooden supports

Great job.  I love the roof technique.  The way you did the walls is clever too.  Just a wonderful little scene.  

One of your best builds yet :wub: The storehouse looks super rugged, and the combination of stone and wood is masterfully done :thumbup:

And then there's a full interior! Sorgheim should be well stocked for the winter with such a fine storehouse. I love that birch tree design too :classic:

I like all the small details, like that the house is dug down! The interior is a nice touch and I like that you can see it from the side!

Nice sturdy storehouse and brilliant birch design!
I like that you have included an interior and plenty of food :classic:

A couple of minor nitpicks are that I think the interior would have been improved with a tiled floor (and maybe "stone colored" since it's indoors?) and that it seems like your pictures are a bit on the noisy side. To remedy that I think more light or a longer shutter speed is recommended. The composition of the pictures would also be improved if you took a step back and zoomed in instead, to avoid the close perspective making the front of the build being "magnified" and the sides of the build sloping outward.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Mythical said:

Well done! The roof looks great as do the stone columns/pillars! 

Thank you @Mythical!

On 8/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, Garmadon said:

Nice!  Sweet storehouse, and great way to spice up the landscaping with some elevation changes.  That birch I'd fantastic as well, and I'll echo Mythical on the roof!

Thank you @Garmadon, I had a lot of fun with the landscape and birch, I just wish the roof photographed better.  It looks way better in person!

On 8/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, KevinyWu said:

I like how the cross section gives a view of the two layers of the building: the stone and the wooden supports

Thanks @KevinyWu, that was the toughest part of the whole build to get to work like I wanted.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, zoth33 said:

Great job.  I love the roof technique.  The way you did the walls is clever too.  Just a wonderful little scene.  

Thank you @zoth33!

7 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

One of your best builds yet :wub: The storehouse looks super rugged, and the combination of stone and wood is masterfully done :thumbup:

And then there's a full interior! Sorgheim should be well stocked for the winter with such a fine storehouse. I love that birch tree design too :classic:

Thank you @soccerkid6, I took more than a few cues from your own builds on the interior.

1 hour ago, de Gothia said:

I like all the small details, like that the house is dug down! The interior is a nice touch and I like that you can see it from the side!

Thanks @de Gothia!

28 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Nice sturdy storehouse and brilliant birch design!
I like that you have included an interior and plenty of food :classic:

A couple of minor nitpicks are that I think the interior would have been improved with a tiled floor (and maybe "stone colored" since it's indoors?) and that it seems like your pictures are a bit on the noisy side. To remedy that I think more light or a longer shutter speed is recommended. The composition of the pictures would also be improved if you took a step back and zoomed in instead, to avoid the close perspective making the front of the build being "magnified" and the sides of the build sloping outward.

Thank you @Gideon, "sturdy" was my intent. 

As for the noise on the pictures, part of that is from the fact that I am standing back and zooming in with my camera, I just have an old, not very great camera (iphone from several generations past).  I don't really have the best photography setup in general, since a light box is currently out of the question and I live in an area with nothing but intense sunshine right now.  Unless I want very heavy shadows, I have to take pictures in the morning or the shade, which means not enough light, and it all comes out kind of blue.  I could do a little post-editing, but I'm never very satisfied with the result, and it still doesn't make the photos any clearer. :shrug_confused:

The way the building is built into the hill is great, and I especially love the thick stone columns up front. The way you SNOTed the log bricks into the wall to look like horizontally laid logs is also very nice. The picture quality is not the greatest, as Gideon was saying, but the build is pretty great. The tree in the back is also probably the best birch tree I have seen in LEGO, with a good proportion between the trunk and canopy. 

I can't wait to see the modules hooked up!

Yippie, a full interior :thumbup: Always good to see those, though the outerior (is that even an existing word?) is great as well. The thick stone columns, combined with the log bricks on their sides make for a very nice style. Added to an excellent landscaping, may indeed make this one of your best builds yet. I can't wait to see the full lay-out :moar: