LM71Blackbird

[COR - CH II - Cat B] The Fatu Hiva Expedition - Into the Jungle

[COR - CH II - Cat B] The Fatu Hiva Expedition - Into the Jungle

-----------------------------

Part 1 of the Expedition.

-----------------------------

Journal entry of Sergeant Anthony Andrews, Aide-De-Camp to Major Nathaniel Brickford.

Day 10,

With the help of some local fisherman and Major Brickford's leadership, we ferried our supplies from the HMS Resilience to the shore. It took a full days work to get everything off loaded and organized, but it was worth the effort. We were able to offer the residences of Fatu Hiva some valuable supplies including food and other goods. Considering their own government refused to lift a finger the local leadership was grateful that the Major was able to bring some of Corrington's abundance to help their overtaxed settlement. From there we checked our own supplies and packaged it up into our rucksacks. Before we left Quinnsville Major Brickford had commissioned some special uniforms to be made for the troops. Knowing we would be in the jungle and that red and white tend to stick out, he had a sort of 'camouflage' developed, consisting of a dark green jacket and black trousers. This way our movements should be less detectable to the savages and rival explorers.

We rendezvoused with Tuk Tuk at his hut on the beach. After some brief discussion, Tuk Tuk told us of a path that leads straight into the jungle. He knows that particular area very well, because that is where he cultivates some of his bamboo for his kayaks. It was a 4mile march over sand and rocky terrain, but after an hour we finally reached the location.

29481437208_52bf5cbf84_o.pngInto the Jungle 1.1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The transition in terrain was far from gradual. As soon as the foliage starts you are immediately in thick jungle. Thankfully, since Tuk Tuk comes here often, there was a path leading straight through the overgrowth.

43351490901_f5ccd5ce3c_o.pngInto the Jungle 1.2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Tuk Tuk began to fearlessly lead us through the jungle. Some of the men were a little jumpy at some distant noises, however Tuk Tuk assured as that it was just the ambient noises of the environment. While we were hiking, our guide let us know that we were headed to a clearing in the jungle that we could make a base camp at and from there look for the savage tribe. From memory, he believed that it was a 25 mile hike, which would be trying, but nothing to big for the best troops of Her Majesty's settlement of Quinnsville.

29481436898_a04cf20d36_o.pngInto the Jungle 1.3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

With a predetermined stopping point and a pep in our step, we marched on. We are currently making a temporary campsite so the men can rest for a few hours, but we will be back on our feet at first light to hike the remaining 10 miles to the clearing.

-------------------------------------------------

This is my first entry for Category B. I'm having a lot of fun with this challenge so far, and this jungle scene was pretty cool to build. It is something new for me building wise, so hopefully you all like it as well! As usual, C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking! More builds to come!

This will be licensed as a small plantation in Fatu Hiva.

Edited by LM71Blackbird
Had to shrink baseplate size.

It's a nice dense wood, I would've added some bright coloured flowers. That would make it a real jungle in my view. 
I do like your tree design.

4 minutes ago, Bart said:

It's a nice dense wood, I would've added some bright coloured flowers. That would make it a real jungle in my view. 
I do like your tree design.

Nuts! I knew was something else I wanted to add! I'll update the pictures later...

Thanks! Yeah, I am pretty proud of the tree design.

12 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Hate being "that guy", but maximum size for CatB entries is 32x32 studs.

Really? That's on me then... I must have misread that... thanks for letting me know. 

Could @Captain Genaro, or @Bregir give me some advice to rectify this? Thanks!

Maximum size per entry: 1024 stud footprint (equal to 32x32). Each entry may consist of several builds and multiple entries per player is encouraged.

This build would need to be reduced to a 32x32 footprint. You are welcome to make additional builds, but they need to clearly be a separate build. You may edit this build to reduce its size. 

1 minute ago, Captain Genaro said:

This build would need to be reduced to a 32x32 footprint. You are welcome to make additional builds, but they need to clearly be a separate build. You may edit this build to reduce its size. 

Awesome! That won't be hard for me to do. Thanks again Captain Genaro for the help!

Nice, really love these palms here - give the build a fabulous jungle atmosphere!  Looks great even when reduced to the smaller size :pir-sweet:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Nice, really love these palms here - give the build a fabulous jungle atmosphere!  Looks great even when reduced to the smaller size :pir-sweet:

Thanks a lot! I've tried several different methods for palm trees, and I think I've finally hit on one that I like! I'm glad that the build kept the jungle 'look' with the scaling down.

This has got to be some of the best vegetation in LLD I've ever seen! It's so tricky to get the overgrown lush look digitally - I usually give up in frustration and go back to real bricks - hats off to you Sir! Great entry and I'm interested to see what happens next!

16 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

This has got to be some of the best vegetation in LLD I've ever seen! It's so tricky to get the overgrown lush look digitally - I usually give up in frustration and go back to real bricks - hats off to you Sir! Great entry and I'm interested to see what happens next!

Thank you very much! It takes a bit of patience to get it looking right. There are over 100 grass pieces alone! My second phase of category B is in the works, so stay tuned!