LM71Blackbird

[COR - CH II - Cat A] The Fatu Hiva Expedition - Bamboo Kayak Craftsman

[COR - CH II - Cat A] The Fatu Hiva Expedition - Bamboo Kayak Craftsman

Precursor: After word reached Quinnsville of the terrifying attacks deep in the jungles of Île d'Or, recently promoted Major Nathaniel Brickford felt obligated to do something for the helpless residences of Fatu Hiva. With Quinnsville now stable enough to function under the leadership of the mayor, Major Brickford started to assemble a plan. He was granted use of the mighty First-rate HMS Resilience - a floating fortress built in Quinnsville - that would allow them to bring enough supplies for an indefinite stay as well as distribute resources to the overtaxed settlement. After a week long and uneventful voyage, Major Brickford and a Battalion of troops reached the overcrowded harbor of Fatu Hiva. The events of what the Corrish soldiers saw and experienced was faithfully recorded by the Aide-de-Camp of Major Brickford, Sergeant Anthony Andrews.

--------------------------------------

Journal entry of Sergeant Anthony Andrews, Aide-De-Camp to Major Nathaniel Brickford 

Day 8,

We are on the eighth day of our expedition to discover what lurks deep in the jungles of Île d'Or. At the recommendation of some natives in the settlement, five of us set off down the beach to find a certain bamboo boat craftsman that claims to know what and where this supposed evil is coming from. When compared to the derelict dwellings that some of these poor people have to live in because of the overcrowding in town, he lives in a rather lavish hut. At first he seemed a little uneasy at seeing five uniformed men in red walking down the beach, but after some greetings in his native tongue, he realized why we were there.

43245484651_9bcab09f00_b.jpgBeachside canoe craftsman 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

To our delight, the native - whose name is Tuk Tuk -  spoke in very clear English, namely because his mother was a corrish school teacher before marrying his father, who was a native chieftain. After the jungles started to erupt with violence, his family fled and no one knows what became of the rest of his tribe. He was very helpful and somewhat detached from the whole incident. He also showed no fear when he answered our questions, which was the exact opposite of literally every native we tried to question. He told us that there were many tribes that lived deep in the jungle and for years they have lived in perfect harmony. However, it appears that one tribe chieftain was slowing starting to get disgruntled about supposedly getting second pick of the good foraging and hunting grounds. He started to rise in prominence and soon gathered together several of the smaller tribes and started to terrorize the other clans. In the midst of all the violence, no one knows how many people have died and people have lost track of where the offending tribe has their main encampment.

42527304964_37d6922454_b.jpgBeachside canoe craftsman 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

We questioned him further and he told us that the other tribes that joined the uprising didn't realize that their new leader was a madman, but now they must obey or die. He believes that if we were to eliminate the offending tribe that the other clans would be willing to surrender and help bring peace back to the jungle. He seemed like he wanted to be the one to rid Île d'Or of this evil, so we offered him a price to guide our expedition through the jungle. He was apprehensive at first and seeing this, we of course asked why. He said that the jungle was filled with all sorts of relics that would cause chaos if disturbed. Well, Major Brickford bought into none of this mumbo jumbo stuff. Tuk Tuk first thought the Major's response was blasphemous, but after the Major pointed out that the relics were undisturbed now and there was so much chaos... Needless to say, it didn't take too long to rid Tuk Tuk of his fears. He agreed to lead us through the jungle and help us help all the residences of Fatu Hiva as well Île d'Or. We headed back to the Resilience to prepare our supplies and start ferrying our equipment to shore. We don't know what we will be up against, but we will certainly be prepared.

43245483141_379ccc62bb_b.jpgBeachside canoe craftsman 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is my entry to Challenge II Category A. I've got some great ideas for categories B and C, so with A out of the way, stay tuned for the rest of the expedition! I will license this as a large artisan in Fatu Hiva. C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking!

Edited by LM71Blackbird

Ah now I understand your message on my build! 

Same scene, but a very different outcome, I do like yours very much! 
You've got a better terrain then I have done, I like your positioning of the loose peddles and spears, that is hard to do digitally. 
Well done.

1 hour ago, Bart said:

Ah now I understand your message on my build! 

Same scene, but a very different outcome, I do like yours very much! 
You've got a better terrain then I have done, I like your positioning of the loose peddles and spears, that is hard to do digitally. 
Well done.

Thanks! Yeah, placing the accessories takes some time and some homemade cranes to position them properly. I'm glad you like it!

What a nice story and great, colorful moc! I really like it and I believe the rendering makes it shine! Also the canoe is well built!

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

What a nice story and great, colorful moc! I really like it and I believe the rendering makes it shine! Also the canoe is well built!

Thank you very much!

Very nice indeed... I really like the fish rack and the vegetation on this one.   The dog is a nice touch as well. 

Can you show your "rig" for positioning the spears and paddle?  I think I know how you positioned some of the other loose items. 

15 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice indeed... I really like the fish rack and the vegetation on this one.   The dog is a nice touch as well. 

Can you show your "rig" for positioning the spears and paddle?  I think I know how you positioned some of the other loose items. 

Thanks Roadmonkey!

Here is a few of the ways I position accessories:

29397020428_381fdde3b3.jpgLDD positioning technique by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

For more intricate detailing, I sometimes have to build semi-elaborate crane like structures to pivot and twist things into place. A good example of that is what I had to do to get these sugarcanes on an ox-cart.

I didn't think of the 1x hinge...  I've gone about it differently but this is nice

Love the ox cart... 

3 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I didn't think of the 1x hinge...  I've gone about it differently but this is nice

Love the ox cart... 

Thanks!

Nice beach scene. i like the hut and the natives' artisan. Although I'm not sure it's a good idea to send a first rater to ferry supplies, usually a simple brig would suffise.:innocent2:

17 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Nice beach scene. i like the hut and the natives' artisan. Although I'm not sure it's a good idea to send a first rater to ferry supplies, usually a simple brig would suffise.:innocent2:

Thanks Bodi! That probably wasn't super clear, the first rate has all the supplies for the expedition and they were going to ferry them to shore on smaller vessels.