Foreman

What is the most complex model you know how to build by heart?

Mine is a small creator train VPR Raid 5981

Edited by Foreman
changed my answer

An interesting question. My answer depends on what you consider as "complex".

Most of my sets are CITY from 2007 onward. As I didn't get many sets after 2010 I kept rebuilding those I had; therefore, I can pretty much build any of them (cement mixer, rubbish truck, service station, fire station etc) from memory, although I might need a reference picture for some of the exact brick arrangements. However, many of these sets aren't particularly "complex"; they hardly used any SNOT or other unusual building techniques, as it was a decade ago, so they're not too much of a challenge. Whilst I'm good at building small custom technic models, I haven't rebuilt the sets I have from this theme enough times to be able to recall them from memory. 

Overall then, I'd say the largest set I can rebuild from memory is the 7945 Fire Station, but the "most complex" is probably 7990, 7991 or 7993, depending on how you define complex. On the other hand, seeing as I haven't rebuilt many old sets for a while, I'm not really sure.

19 hours ago, Blk69 said:

For me it the 2010 airplane, 3180.   Love this set,most have built it close to 100 times.

3180 is a gas truck, do you mean 3181?

Haven't assembled 6530 in ages, but if you'd give me all the parts, I think, I will be able to get it done without any issues.

6530-1.jpg

When I was a kid, Hero Factory was everything. I would remember how to build every set I got by heart by building it the first time, but the builds are pretty simple so it ain't that hard. The most complex I ever remembered by heart was Rotor. Von Nebula was too crazy for me back then.

image.jpeg.c23973eb602b2dbdc07e0c4d7d16086d.jpeg

I am not sure how many sets I could build from memory, but this reminded me of when I was a child and had a large classic town layout. My older brothers used to challenge me by removing or moving a single LEGO piece from anywhere in the layout. I was always able to locate the problem in short order, no matter how small the part! Here's a link to a thread I started about childhood layouts that has some old photos of it.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, JSN said:

A minifigure :laugh:

Me. Minifig polybags count as a set, right? :grin:

Edited by Vindicare

18 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Me. Minifig polybags count as a set, right? :grin:

it counts as a set but not as a model

The little car in 6374 (I'm an 80s-90s kid). Even after 30-odd years.

If looking at a photo is allowed, I can build an approximation of the 6374 house. Well, I'd forgotten some important details (it's been *decades*) but since I found instructions online last year & rebuilt it a few times I'm confident I can now build that house if I start from the second floor plates.

Long time ago I could rebuild all the upper/visible part (bodywork) of https://brickset.com/sets/5550-1/Custom-Rally-Van without the instructions.

For the chassis I still had to take a look to the instructions from time to time I think.

I could do the same for some parts of https://brickset.com/sets/5580-1/Highway-Rig

(especially the front, which was more fragile, so more often damaged in stunts :grin:)

Edited by antp