Bart

[SR-ship] Barque Narwal

The barque Narwal, the ship of Captain Rodsh Derr:

41182591441_7fd3325f8e_z.jpgBarque Narwal 4 by Bart, on Flickr

27304274068_5cbcfa42d2_z.jpgBarque Narwal by Bart, on Flickr

26305584227_7db39bac57_z.jpgBarque Narwal 2 by Bart, on Flickr

41133725632_7e4b8b1a3a_z.jpgBarque Narwal 3 by Bart, on Flickr

A single deck frigate, with a barque rig.
Armed with 12 cannons on the gun deck each side, the six centre guns are the big Lego pieces and the six on the fore and aft are smaller brick build. (I''m not really sure wat the common lore is fore the size of guns, were the Lego ones 32 pounds? and brick build 16, or was it 16 and 8?)

And in addition to that six swivels on the stern and two swivels and two carronades on the forecastle. 

You see her here under the command of Cathy Derr, normally the first mate, as Rodsh is off on an adventure
The Narwal has just finished careening on a beach near King's Harbour and are no underway chasing  a rumour Cathy picked up during the Ball.

This ship grew out of the cabin I build as an approach to the Ball, I first intended to build only a side and use it as a decor in my AMRCA opening post, but it turned into a full ship by accident.

Bart

Nice ship, Bart! I like her curve and stern decoration, black and white look good too and I like how you've made the waves as well.:thumbup:

Lovely! - excellent ship all around, and the addition of those waves adds so much!  Great color-scheme, and I'm liking the tiled deck! :wink:

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Nice ship, Bart! I like her curve and stern decoration, black and white look good too and I like how you've made the waves as well.:thumbup:

Thank you, the stern went trough several fases before ending up to this.

59 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Lovely! - excellent ship all around, and the addition of those waves adds so much!  Great color-scheme, and I'm liking the tiled deck! :wink:

Thanks, the wave does all the presentation work for me here :) I feel like if you have the possibility then a ships deck should be tiled, if it fits the building style of the ship off course. 

23 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Not to be confused with the Dark Narwhal. Pretty. Do the Derrs happen to worship the Triuri?

I decided on the use of the name Narwal before I knew there was a Dark Narwhal. I litterlay thought up dozens of other options, but my mind kept returning to what I started with, I thought the difference to be enough and settled with it.

What is the Triuri?

A lovely ship and I especially like the dolphins. 

BUT, I am annoyed with you because I am struggling to get my head-rails looking right at the moment and yours looking so simple & perfect is annoying me. Grrrr :angry:

The waves to giver her movement really look .... Great ... May have to replicate the base in brick some day ... The ship turned out great ... So stunls?  See you added the yards

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

A lovely ship and I especially like the dolphins. 

BUT, I am annoyed with you because I am struggling to get my head-rails looking right at the moment and yours looking so simple & perfect is annoying me. Grrrr :angry:

Thanks, the dolphins where the last addition, as i found the space infront of the ship too empty.
I take that as a compliant! Don't think it came easy to me either, there where a lot of alternative versions before I got it here.

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The waves to giver her movement really look .... Great ... May have to replicate the base in brick some day ... The ship turned out great ... So stunls?  See you added the yards

Stuns'ls are set at very light wind, to catch every bit of moving air and give the ship a minimum movement. 
But as you can see there is plenty wind, the courses (lower sails on the fore and main mast) are furled on their yards, the lowest jib isn't set, and the gafftopsail of the spanker is also still secured. the stuns'l yards are in their stored position, to fly the stunsails they are slided out. I thought it gave the ship a bit more character to have them there.

11 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beautiful looking ship @Bart! The sails turned out great and the wave and motion of the ship also look fantastic!

Thank you! 
I'm happy you like the sails, the triangle shaped ones on the DMDR 6 somehow where easier, maybe because there werent any expactions yet. 
I first had cockbilled the yards (moved to horizontal to better catch the wind, in this case lift up the portside to create an angle of 5 degrees the same as her list) but with the squareness of the bricks where the sails are made from it looked awefull
I did keep the fanning though, (going up every yard is turned a little more because the wind blows harder on top and therefore the relative angle changes)

A good looking ship! I like the colour scheme you have went with and those waves really do help bring the whole thing to life! I really like the angles of the cabin at the back. Great job!

Incredible details with the sails and yards, and the rest also looks great! Nicely shaped stern too!

@Kwatchi can you post the issues you are having with the headrails in the Shipwrights Guild Hall? I can see if I can find a couple good examples from simple to complicated that work well :pir-wink:

4 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

A good looking ship! I like the colour scheme you have went with and those waves really do help bring the whole thing to life! I really like the angles of the cabin at the back. Great job!

4 hours ago, Legostone said:

Incredible details with the sails and yards, and the rest also looks great! Nicely shaped stern too!

@Kwatchi can you post the issues you are having with the headrails in the Shipwrights Guild Hall? I can see if I can find a couple good examples from simple to complicated that work well :pir-wink:

Thank you both :)