Trekkie99

Any bicyclists here on Eurobricks?

Bicycling is my second favorite hobby. And depending on the season, it's my first. :grin:

So I was wondering if anyone here on Eurobricks is a bicycle enthusiast/fanatic as well. :wink:

Cheers

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

I personally have nothing against cycling itself. I think it's a great hobby to have. 
I have a massive thing agaisnt people who are cyclist in the city, hogging the roads and causing accidents and danger. 

I have a 600 eur solifer bike with 3x7 gears if i recall correctly. Doesn't have disc brakes unfortunately. 
My tires are standards because i usually ride in the countryside so we have gravel roads. 

I'd give it all to get a velomobile though. Even a recumbent bike would do. 
I have bad knees and a bad back. 
It's been a long wait for summer.. 

Ish. I quite enjoy a short ride now and then, but I'm not particularly fast or fit, nor is my bike the lightest or flashiest. For me, riding is just a good way to see the country, or a cheap means of transport. As a university student, having mine with me can save me a £3.50 bus fare (and that's the student discount!) if the weather's nice enough. Which it isn't at the moment, because coastal Wales in winter. Ah well.

Cycling is just a part of culture here I guess... everyone owns a bike & can ride it. :blush:

I was really into bmx-ing on dirttracks when I was a kid, transitioned to mtb's in my teens, right now I only cycle as a cheap tranportation method for getting from a to b.
Just cycling alongside traffic on a standard black 'granny bike', though I'm looking into getting a 'fixie' cause cycling is a good way for me to empty my head... :laugh:

I ride an old Schwinn, almost everywhere I go. The city I live in has a great network of trails and dedicated bike routes, so sometimes it's actually faster. 

All my Lego sets have rode with me on that bike as well. 

Usually manage 5 to 10 miles daily, 20 mile trek once a week, quite enjoyable, I must say. 

Yep, 25 years of racing here.  MTB, road race and Time Trial.

Still waiting for LEGO to bring out a drop bar bike frame mould.

It's a problem of competing space and time for me, my bike workshop has just given up a wall for storage for by Bricklink shop, and building and riding are always vying for my time.

I too am finding my bike workshop compressing to make room for legos.  Both directly, and indirectly (non-bike non-lego things are moved into bike space to free up space elsewhere for legos).  Some bikes have even been  dissembled and boxed to make room.

50 minutes ago, Giantorange said:

TIt's a problem of competing space and time for me, my bike workshop has just given up a wall for storage for by Bricklink shop, and building and riding are always vying for my time.

Yes! My two hobbies are always at war! :laugh: 

Its never a healthy mixture of both. If I'm paying attention to one hobby, I can't help but completely forget about the other one. :cry_sad: Fortunately, I always come back to the other hobby. :grin: 

7 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Cycling is not a hobby for me.  It's my el cheapo mode of transportation.  I ride all year around. 

*snip*

Some days, it is not necessary to use a kickstand.  :classic:

*snip*

LEGO is the hobby.

20863136158_5a3d11071b.jpgDay 244 of 365: Doored by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

:laugh: For me it's both. It's a toy and a tool! :sweet: 

Hilarious picture BTW. Reminds me of a cycling joke I once heard. 

I knew a guy that got hit by a Delorean once. It set him back a couple of years.

That one really got to me when I first read it. :laugh:

4 hours ago, -zenn said:

Reminds me of;

:laugh::tongue:

:iamded_lol:

Yes, I like to cycle (see sig).  Hopefully we will move to a better neighborhood soon where it is safer to ride once again.  

10 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I've replaced my bell with a big honking horn.  Weekend crowd of people on the path seem oblivious to the bell.   :angry:

Assuming this isn't just a set up for the picture.  I got one of the pressurized air horns (the bike horns, not the canisters for emergency signaling) and it has worked wonders.

I quite enjoy cycling, will do even more this summer due to a happy coincidence.  I like to cycle to Birmingham city center in the UK along the canel toe paths for fitness. And where I turn round to go home again, I was delighted to find out that is EXACTLY the spot where they are building a new Lego discovery center, due to open this summer!

The UK's many canal tow paths make excellent cycle routes, as does our network of dismantled railways. They're ideal as they're typically long, straight, fairly flat and go to useful places. The Sustrans National Cycle Route through my city is primarily built upon the many railways that fed the docks (except for the horrible bit were it's on the pavement next to a busy, dirty dual carriageway). (On the other hand, Sustrans are a pain for railway preservationists, as I believe they own a lot of trackbed and aren't using it...) @allanp, I might have to try that route when I go back home in Summer; all I have to do is cycle up the old Roman road Iknield Street, until I meet the Worcester And Birmingham Canal; I can then follow that up all the way into the city. Sounds good.

Overall, cycling is good, as it keeps me exercising and saves me money on bus fares.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:00 AM, Juxtapoisson said:

Assuming this isn't just a set up for the picture.  I got one of the pressurized air horns (the bike horns, not the canisters for emergency signaling) and it has worked wonders.

Do you have a name or a link for the horn?

On 3/10/2018 at 9:09 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

:grin: Maybe you could try this.

I could try to make that sound with my trumpet.  :laugh: