Sign in to follow this  
Captain Dee

[Cocovia Wagonway] Majestic Gulch

The Cocovia Wagonway was established to connect the settlements of King's Harbour on the western coast with Quinnsville on the eastern shores. Sir Dee had contracted to build a section that passed by the Majestic Gardens in King's Harbour, and it was finally complete. Construction required building up above the rocks of a rough gulch, and a rather decorated facade consisting of columns, arches, and fencing was chosen to reflect the overall aesthetic of the gardens. Various flowers were planted along the front, and a row of trees, bushes, and flowering plants were planted between the rails. Sir Dee insisted on having 2 sets of rails for improved traffic flow, to accommodate vehicles traveling each direction simultaneously or to allow faster vehicles a chance to pass via occasional switches. In the following photos we see a carpenter leading a load of logs and a load of bricks, plus the multi-carriage "Cocovia Express" making it's maiden run into King's Harbour.

b3r53a.jpg

xde5om.jpg

bfua9.jpg

(For better views of the Cocovia Express, the vehicles have been swapped to the opposite tracks for the remaining photos. This was planned from the start since the main build isn't really viewable from the back.)

j7tfyo.jpg

15dkz6p.jpg

20rsncn.jpg

say0j6.jpg

rjp5ir.jpg

2rbz0qw.jpg

2z7jty9.jpg

i1mt80.jpg

2qbu7vm.jpg

xcj53t.jpg

2mq4u0z.jpg

The Coinsmith and Chief Naval Strategist (whom we met a few months ago) ride in the first of the Cocovia Express carriages, controlled by none other than the Coachman (who stashed his pistols away for this trial run):

2rmob51.jpg

In the middle carriage rides the Croissant Baker (facing the rear) and her two daughters, the Cakemaker and Confectioner. It appears they're busy concocting a culinary creation of some sort:

2s0mxsk.jpg

Sir Dee and a certain Capitalist ride the third and final carriage. It appears they're having quite the discussion:

20gi6p3.jpg

A group of deer make their way through the flowers in the central opening. Sir Dee was so engrossed in the conversation that he didn't notice them; had he been aware of their presence he would have shouted for the coachman to stop so that he could, shall we say, "conduct a thorough scientific examination of the ballistic properties of his musket." Fortunately for the deer no venison was harvested:

2lc0193.jpg

A couple pics of the rails without carriages:

14ujl94.jpg

Gold is good, but my new favorite accent color is "Medium Dark Flash." :laugh:

de0181.jpg

Close-up of the loads of logs and bricks (and a mischievous squirrel). Love those log-end printed round tiles:

2h5siz5.jpg

And finally, three detail shots of the Cocovia Express. They're lightly modified versions of the carriage from 41146 Cinderella's Enchanted Evening:

nxn7n9.jpg

k4biuu.jpg

2nscsio.jpg

Game notes: this build brings the Cocovia Wagonway collab to 10k+ studs (finally... apologies for the delay...) It will be collectively licensed as a Royal Commerce property.

General notes: well, this is my first foray into Lego rails/railroads. I thought about building custom rails and wheels but finally decided to buy some standard parts. @Brickwolf, you scurvy dog, look what you made me do! :pir-laugh: Seriously, this was a really cool idea for a collab. :thumbup:

I knew from the start that the palm trees would be distracting once the carriages were in place, but they simply had to be there. Just because. :grin:

Thanks for viewing. Comments and questions welcome. :classic:

I quite like those white and lavender carriages! :pir_laugh2:  The tracks with the loose parts inside look great! :thumbup:  The whole MOC is very rich and elegant in classical Captain Dee style!

Edited by Kai NRG

Impressive landscape, and eye-catching colour choice. The vehicles are very well built too, and I like these trees!

13 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

A group of deer make their way through the flowers in the central opening. Sir Dee was so engrossed in the conversation that he didn't notice them; had he been aware of their presence he would have shouted for the coachman to stop so that he could, shall we say, "conduct a thorough scientific examination of the ballistic properties of his musket." Fortunately for the deer no venison was harvested:

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol:

Typical Captain Dee goodness here - very recognizably in your style, and all the gold and the well-ordered vegetation look great as usual too!  Nice job with all the carts and the Express, and I must confess that I'm loving that medium dark flesh! :wub: :grin:

Wow.  I’d never consider using bright red in architecture but you have made it work.  It’s a gorgeous display.

Wow Captain Dee, my apologies for not commenting until now - this is quite the contribution and definitely brings the 'Royal' aspect to the project! The colourful and lively style is instantly recognisable with your gardens in King's Harbour. The duel carriage way was something that was bothering me about the project. The logical part of my mind objected to a single line of track as how would you achieve two-way travel? I just didn't have the rail line to correct this in my contribution however, so I'm glad someone was able to! The carriages themselves look great, I especially like the one carting the logs.

On 09/02/2018 at 11:00 AM, Captain Dee said:

I knew from the start that the palm trees would be distracting once the carriages were in place, but they simply had to be there. Just because.

I'm glad you included them, distracting or not they look great and really add to the scene!

Overall a majestic contribution to the project, absolutely fantastic job!

Such a splendid scene - lovely work. You really have found your very unique signature style for these MOCs. Fantastic.

Thanks all for the input. :classic:

On 2/8/2018 at 8:17 PM, Kai NRG said:

I quite like those white and lavender carriages! :pir_laugh2:  The tracks with the loose parts inside look great! :thumbup:  The whole MOC is very rich and elegant in classical Captain Dee style!

Well, I can't really take credit for the carriage design. I just modified it slightly. The official set is really quite good.

The loose parts are supposed to be gravel, bringing the surface up level with the cross ties. I imagine horses would have a hard time pulling heavy loads if they had to step over the cross ties.

For some reason I just wanted to build a flashy scene. But it didn't make sense in the middle of nowhere, hence the story placing it near the gardens.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:12 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Fantastic looking addition to the wagon way! Great details!

Details often make a critical difference, at least for me. With only the main structure built I couldn't shake the feeling that this was going to be one of my worst builds as an adult, but when it all came together I was pleasantly surprised by how it looked.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, Bodi said:

Impressive landscape, and eye-catching colour choice. The vehicles are very well built too, and I like these trees!

The landscape is perhaps too orderly, but I couldn't help myself. The red wall behind gold arches was originally supposed to be a part of the Majestic Gardens last year, before I scrapped it. The two vehicles built entirely by my hand are pretty much just form following function; I built a third but it wouldn't fit the scene! And I keep reusing that tree design; nothing fancy really.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, Garmadon said:

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol:

Typical Captain Dee goodness here - very recognizably in your style, and all the gold and the well-ordered vegetation look great as usual too!  Nice job with all the carts and the Express, and I must confess that I'm loving that medium dark flesh! :wub: :grin:

My style... dump out a pile of bricks and stir in gold! :pir-laugh: No, not really. I just wanted to make a colorful architectural statement of some sort.

Medium Dark Flash is such a cool color - too bad it isn't available in more parts. :excited:

On 2/9/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kwatchi said:

Wow.  I’d never consider using bright red in architecture but you have made it work.  It’s a gorgeous display.

I think nearly any color will work as the focal point, if matched with the appropriate accent colors. And gold matches well with most bright colors.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ayrlego said:

Wow Captain Dee, my apologies for not commenting until now - this is quite the contribution and definitely brings the 'Royal' aspect to the project! The colourful and lively style is instantly recognisable with your gardens in King's Harbour. The duel carriage way was something that was bothering me about the project. The logical part of my mind objected to a single line of track as how would you achieve two-way travel? I just didn't have the rail line to correct this in my contribution however, so I'm glad someone was able to! The carriages themselves look great, I especially like the one carting the logs.

I'm glad you included them, distracting or not they look great and really add to the scene!

Overall a majestic contribution to the project, absolutely fantastic job!

With all the parts close at hand, building something to match the gardens was pretty easy. And it simply had to have 2 sets of rails - travel would be difficult otherwise. As for the trees, I planned a second, taller row in the back, but that was just too much... my poor eyes didn't know where to focus. So, after placing them all, I took them back down, and its much better without them.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:48 AM, Elostirion said:

Such a splendid scene - lovely work. You really have found your very unique signature style for these MOCs. Fantastic.

I suppose it may be my signature style, and while I like it, I think there's a point where relying too heavily on it could lose some of the appeal. My planned projects will be more conventional, but I ain't giving up this style entirely!

Thanks again everyone for the input. 

P. S. No one is calling me out on the name?  The words "Majestic" and "Gulch" don't belong in the same dictionary, much less the same sentence or phrase! :grin:

6 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

P. S. No one is calling me out on the name?  The words "Majestic" and "Gulch" don't belong in the same dictionary, much less the same sentence or phrase! :grin:

:laugh:  You have a point...