Robin_IV

illegal lego techniques

INFO: TOPIC CLOSED!!

Hello guys.

I have a question here. I am creating a complex MOC ship and i found an interesting technique to put two lego blocks together so that the studs from the one block is facing to the front while the studs from the other are facing normal upwards.

It's like a Lock-and-key-model.

So my basic model here as an example is the black part.
Now i take the red model and put it with the holes (which are in the red model) through the technic bars.

The technic bar (with the green plates) is PERFECT fitting in the hole.
And now i could put the grey plate on the two models and there is no gap between. It's perfect fitting actually.

Now my question is: I THIS a illegal lego technique or is this allowed to build such a thing?

Thanks for answers.

Edited by Robin_IV

I believe that is a legal connection.  1 brick + 2 plates (well 1 plate and 1 tile in this case, so no studs on top) = 16mm, and 2 studs wide is 16mm, so with the 0.1mm between the red bricks as you show in your image, nothing should be in tension or compression.  Now, there are other easier ways to get the grey plate flush with the side of the red bricks (a few of the now standard brackets will do the job), but if there's another reason for using this construction in your MOC it should be OK.

Not to mention, when we're talking about "legal" connections, that only matters if you're using it in some kind of official capacity- if it works for you in your own MOC and isn't physically damaging the bricks due to heavy loads, etc., I say go for it!  :wink:

Edited by deraven

Their is no such thing really as a "illegal building technique". An IBT is simply a technique that TLG would never use in their own sets for whatever reason such as it not being sturdy enough, or to complex to replicate in instructions.

On the other hand, a technique that bends/stresses parts may be considered "illegal", or at least frowned upon by some. But that's just the personal preference of some.

Regards.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

There is nothing illegal about it, there is no strain on the parts due to putting them in that configuration. There is also nothing new about it, it is just down to knowing the dimensions of bricks and plates.

Similar techniques have been used to decorate walls, trains, etc, for many years. Have a look here for example:

www.brickshelf.com/gallery/KimT/Mixed/Instructions/advbuilding.pdf

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Now I am really happy about it and am going to continue my work. I just was not sure.

It would be devastating if I had to recognize afterwards that this is not accepted in the LEGO communitiy. 

Edited by Robin_IV

On 07/02/2018 at 9:16 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Their is no such thing really as a "illegal building technique". 

That's what you think! Just wait till the Legostapo bust down your door in the middle of the night and throw you in LEGO jail (like the one below), never to be seen or heard from again.60130_alt7.jpg

4 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

It would be devastating if I had to recognize afterwards that this is not accepted in the LEGO communitiy. 

I learnt a long time ago not to let others define my happiness (except where it would cause others harm). Even if the "LEGO community" disapproved of your building technique, so what? It's your LEGO. Do what you like with it.

The only possible problem you would really have with an "illegal" technique is that, if you had an Ideas project reach 10k, they might have to "fix" the connection to make it valid.  The only other problem, as LegoMonorailFan mentioned, is that if a part is under stress then it might eventually break or fracture.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:01 PM, Robin_IV said:

Illegal techniques tend to be praised as often as not for demonstrating creative problem solving. Even on their official contests (Rebrick), Lego allows any kind of brick-to-brick connection.

The only thing that really knots people's knickers it seems is if you don't pledge absolute fealty to the almighty Lego Group.

Edited by rodiziorobs

On 9-2-2018 at 2:39 AM, AmperZand said:

That's what you think! Just wait till the Legostapo bust down your door in the middle of the night and throw you in LEGO jail (like the one below), never to be seen or heard from again.

[IMAGE OF LEGO JAIL]

I learnt a long time ago not to let others define my happiness (except where it would cause others harm). Even if the "LEGO community" disapproved of your building technique, so what? It's your LEGO. Do what you like with it.

But it didn't stop the chap on top from mentally constructing another evil plot filled with illegal building techniques, clearly!
I can't help but imagine clickbait articles in the LEGO World...

"If you do THIS with your bricks, you will go to PRISON..."

4 minutes ago, General Magma said:

\
"If you do THIS with your bricks, you will go to PRISON..."

No problem.  All Lego prisons have a breakaway wall of some sort.  

I would not use any of the "illegal" techniques only because my bricks are apparently threatened by climate, ziploc bag plastic reactions, and the occasional light that shines on them.  

13 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

:laugh: :thumbup: So true.

24 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I would not use any of the "illegal" techniques only because my bricks are apparently threatened by climate, ziploc bag plastic reactions, and the occasional light that shines on them.  

Oh dear, somebody didn't get the memo on the breakaway wall...

19951913962_9b9210277f_c.jpgDay 205 of 365: Waiting for Bail by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

15 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Oh dear, somebody didn't get the memo on the breakaway wall...

I think "not getting the memo" was done on purpose here...