Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

You don't reckon we should get your pal Mynatt on board with this? Any Ji Pei reps? How about, what's their name again, Tritech? Just seems to me like the other established factions will want a say. If you're willing to broaden the invitation, it would probably serve to put Daneeka on the list.

Speaking of, where does Heroica itself fit into your plan? We fell apart because of a lack of guidance, a lack of structure. You ask me, we need a new set of Veterans. Are you intending to connect them on the council, or have a Heroican rep?

"The Guild is in pieces, Masked Man's gone. I like Mynatt, but I don't think the Guild has much power anymore. More importantly I don't think there's much they can offer the city: my immediate concern is gettin' Eubric up and runnin' again separate from all the nonsense that ruined things in the first place. The more Houses are on the council, the greater the risk of that. We should only be focusin' on the people that can contribute. Much as I like the Ji Pei, they're tied up with Xu right now, and Eubric is never gonna be their main focus. I dunno anythin' about this Daneeka, but if ya' think he can help, go ahead and send for him too."

Atramor sipped his rum.

"As far as Heroica goes....we're gonna need new Veterans, save Asa of course. But more importantly...I think it needs to be independent of all the politics. Havin' Hestia on board the Veterans and the Bonapartes was a bad idea, and Jacq and Kukulkan got too close to the Wolfgang. The whole Sungold Alliance and Crescent Union thing was a mistake.....Heroica can't be attached to any of this political stuff. It only corrupts us."

51 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Karie moved over to the table where Ulric, Atramor, and Lawrence were seated at, glass of water in hand, and took a seat. "Look, I'm all for getting together and having a big kumbaya, but we're not going to get that. We just blew up the Bonaparte's headquarters. I don't think them being here is going to be an amicable conversation."

"Amicable? No. But they ain't got anywhere else to dock. We blew up their fort. We killed or rescued the other half of their forces, the Founders are dead, the Watch and Paladins have been de-fanged. There's nothin' left for them to fight for. And if they come lookin' for a fight, well, here we all are. Attina might be misguided but I don't think she's an idiot. Even I can read those odds."

"I'm not sayin' she'll be happy to be here. But we ain't left 'em with much choice. They can either join these talks or leave the city. Or attack us. But like I said. They ain't that stupid."

13 minutes ago, Flipz said:

Arthur slams his head down on the bar next to his Flaming Gumball.  "No," he intones sarcastically, voice slightly muffled by the counter, "I was murdered by the archdemon Rosier and every last bit of my being was flung to the edges of the universe, triggering a chain reaction that destroyed the entire Z-Mail system and prevented me from ever having to deal with people who think they alone deserve the power to rule Eubric as king ever, ever again."  The Skirmisher groans, then drags himself back up to address the request seriously.  "I...can do that.  One better, even; pretty sure Lord Knyghton himself would be willing to come out for this, and if I know him he's most likely already at the city's edge.  It's a similar scenario with Mabel; I think my Great-Aunt Zelda might be the more prudent invitation...although frankly speaking, my mother would probably be among the better picks from the family, diplomatically speaking, since she's got one of the more open minds among those of us who are of age.  She's not main branch, but after what Ulric pulled inviting Baba into the Wolfgang I don't think any of the main branch would be willing to work with him, especially not Mabel."

Arthur sadly nods.  "Have to agree there.  But that said, we do need to get Hestia here, if only to decide how exactly we're dealing with her Veteran status.  I've not been particularly impressed by what she's done as a Veteran, but then again I haven't gotten to know her personally the way I did with Cain or Jacques, so I'll be looking to those of us who did for cues."

"If they can...pop in here in a reasonable amount of time, invite whichever Ziegfried's in charge. I s'pose if they teleport, not a big deal...."

"And like I said. I didn't exactly see Hestia fightin' and dyin' with the rest of us. I don't think she can serve both the Bonapartes and Heroica, it's not somethin' you can just.....put aside. Hell, you tried like three times and here you are still."

Edited by CMP

7 minutes ago, CMP said:

"As far as Heroica goes....we're gonna need new Veterans, save Asa of course. But more importantly...I think it needs to be independent of all the politics. Havin' Hestia on board the Veterans and the Bonapartes was a bad idea, and Jacq and Kukulkan got too close to the Wolfgang. The whole Sungold Alliance and Crescent Union thing was a mistake.....Heroica can't be attached to any of this political stuff. It only corrupts us."

"More than that, Heroica needs to be a check on political power.  Look at what we've done lately, the Founders tried to implement an authoritarian regime and we said 'nuts to that' and stomped it out as best we could.  That's important, whatever system we get going it needs to have accountability and Heroica is in a pretty darn good spot to provide that."

10 minutes ago, CMP said:

"If they can...pop in here in a reasonable amount of time, invite whichever Ziegfried's in charge. I s'pose if they teleport, not a big deal...."

"And like I said. I didn't exactly see Hestia fightin' and dyin' with the rest of us. I don't think she can serve both the Bonapartes and Heroica, it's not somethin' you can just.....put aside. Hell, you tried like three times and here you are still."

"Will do."  Arthur sends off quick missives for Noctus, Hoples, Knyghton, Zelda, and Daneeka.  After a few moments' thought, he also calls for Valentine and Noel, just to be able to see them again after recent events.

"I don't disagree with you, Atramor, but I do think we should tell her that to her face.  Her response after we stormed the fort was...disappointing, to say the least.  I don't think anything short of an in-person confrontation, showing her the bodies of her fellow Veterans who she couldn't even be bothered to help when everything went to Hel, will get her to actually accept that she's done anything wrong.  By all means, let's pick Attina as our official Bonaparte rep, if she'll be a more reasonable leader than her parents or her uncle, I'm all for it, but we can't just let the Falconer fade silently into obscurity without confronting her with her failures and making it clear that she's lost the right to helm our fates any longer."  Arthur pauses.  "I...may have a bit of a grudge, now I think of it."  He shrugs.  "Personally, I'd rather stick Illdria in the quartermaster's office, since she's most familiar with exactly what's wrong with the Bonapartes' whole regime, but having said that I'm pretty sure she'd personally murder me for sticking her behind a desk rather than a ship's helm, magical immortality or not.  Still probably worth a call... she'll have insights the rest of us lack."

2 minutes ago, Flipz said:

"More than that, Heroica needs to be a check on political power.  Look at what we've done lately, the Founders tried to implement an authoritarian regime and we said 'nuts to that' and stomped it out as best we could.  That's important, whatever system we get going it needs to have accountability and Heroica is in a pretty darn good spot to provide that."

"Should we though?" Kiray interrupts. "Why not set up a functional government? Heroica itself can easily be corrupted as well in the future. Why shouldn't we dissolve as an organization and go into politics ourselves or retire or whatever any one of us pleases. I'm in favor of what we just did with Rosier and the Founders, but we shouldn't be this quasi-branch of government. It's up to the people to be a check on the government, not whatever mercenary gang we were or are. And let's be honest, we're mercenaries, even if we're probably the most moral merc group there is.

"I think us going into politics is a better check on political power than us stepping in or threatening people. Everyone knows my affiliation anyways," She nods at the Wolfgang leader.

3 hours ago, CMP said:

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

"I think us going into politics is a better check on political power than us stepping in or threatening people. Everyone knows my affiliation anyways," She nods at the Wolfgang leader.

As a Hall, we have a reputation and a certain freedom of mobility. If we officially ally ourselves politically, if we make Heroica a political movement - that's going to get messy. As messy as it already is being quote-unquote 'mercenaries,' it's far messier to be a government-sanctioned hit squad. I agree with Atramor and Arthur, official politics have only brought the Hall corruption and ruin. Heroes are allowed to ally themselves wherever, but the organization as a whole, and its leadership, should remain neutral.

...Which, brings me to my next point. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but 'might as well make an official statement. I want to run for Veteran, or however we're doing this process. I was never loyal to the Union or the Alliance, not in actuality, anyways. My loyalty has always been to the broader city first and foremost, to maintaining peace. This is the best way I think I can do that. I want Heroica to stand for something again, and... well, I guess I want to stand for something again. I don't know how banal we're going to be about classes - if needed, put me down as rogue, ranger, whatever. I want in. 

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

"Should we though?" Kiray interrupts. "Why not set up a functional government? Heroica itself can easily be corrupted as well in the future. Why shouldn't we dissolve as an organization and go into politics ourselves or retire or whatever any one of us pleases. I'm in favor of what we just did with Rosier and the Founders, but we shouldn't be this quasi-branch of government. It's up to the people to be a check on the government, not whatever mercenary gang we were or are. And let's be honest, we're mercenaries, even if we're probably the most moral merc group there is.

"We're pretty much unkillable with the Nornalis. That's a dangerous thing. Picture the faction war that almost happened. Sungold, Crescent Union, Wolfgang. We came damn close to heroes clashin' blades over ideologies."

"We have a power that few others do. We gotta be careful with that. We need to be...better with that. Heroica needs to be around to serve everyone, period."

3 hours ago, Flipz said:

"I don't disagree with you, Atramor, but I do think we should tell her that to her face.  Her response after we stormed the fort was...disappointing, to say the least.  I don't think anything short of an in-person confrontation, showing her the bodies of her fellow Veterans who she couldn't even be bothered to help when everything went to Hel, will get her to actually accept that she's done anything wrong.  By all means, let's pick Attina as our official Bonaparte rep, if she'll be a more reasonable leader than her parents or her uncle, I'm all for it, but we can't just let the Falconer fade silently into obscurity without confronting her with her failures and making it clear that she's lost the right to helm our fates any longer."  Arthur pauses.  "I...may have a bit of a grudge, now I think of it."  

"Send her a message, too, then. She ought to be 'round for this, just a question of if she gets here in time. We can't exactly wait around."

8 hours ago, CMP said:

"They died as heroes do," explained Atramor briefly, laying down the Oracle beside her fallen compatriots and draping a cloth over them all. He stayed for only a moment longer before making his way to the bar, scooping up a fresh rum with one hand and taking a long, generous sip. He was quite certain he'd never deserved a drink more than this very moment.

"Fightin' to the end."

"Alright. Let's get this outta the way first." Atramor scratched his chin. "It's been a long day. Half the city turned against us. That's bad. But the other half listened to us. Believed in us. Includin' you. The only reason Eubric ain't bein' controlled by an archdemon right now is because of people that can think for them damn selves and can see the writin' on the wall." He passed the bottle back and forth between his hands. "I been thinkin' about it, and I don't think we would've won today if Eubric had a single leader. The Founders had to fight tooth and nail to get the city on their side. The Bonapartes, the news, everyone. It took time, because at the end of the day, Eubric's a Freeport and everyone'll think what they want. I don't think ya' should be king, Ulric. Moreover I don't think anyone should be king. But Eubric does need a kinda leadership. A group - like the Veterans - each lookin' after a part of the city. Not like the Houses - most of 'em only looked after themselves. A team, workin' together, for the betterment of Eubric. Power split to keep one another in check; if there was only Veteran, I doubt ya' would've managed to get their ear. But with six, convincin' one or two to work with ya' wasn't an impossible task, was it?"

Atramor turned in his seat to face Ulric, glancing at the rest of the party.

"I don't like ya'. Many of these heroes weren't 'round to see the Wolfgang before you tried goin' legit. I'm all for stealin' from the rich, but that wasn't all you used to be up to. All that said......ya' kept your word. Ya' helped us when few others did, and frankly, ya've done more for the poor and the oppressed than any House ever has. I'm gonna level with ya'. Nobody outside the Hovels is gonna stand for you takin' a "throne". Sorry mate. Ain't gonna happen. Good on ya' for tryin'. But you're damn right when ya' say ya' have people on your side. People that, one way or another, you been lookin' out for for years. I don't like you - but like a lotta things I don't like, you're good for this damn city. So don't be goin' anywhere. Ya' have an important bit in this next part. The part I hate..."

The rogue leaned back in his chair, slapping his hat down on his table and running a hand through his hair. He turned to eye Arthur.

"Your old lady's Valentine thing still work? We need letters to..." He frowned, and counted off his fingers. "....Noctus Shadeuax, Mabel Ziegfried, Detective Hoples, Dame Leona Kniveton...and Attina Bonaparte. We need all of 'em here in the Hall in the next hour. We're NOT reinstatin' the Houses, but Eubric is in a sorry state, and it needs good people to fix it. As for Attina...Founders are dead, fort is blown up. She needs to make peace with that."

Atramor addressed the rest of the heroes.

"Look. Puttin' a city back together is a lot more than any of us signed up for. I'd sooner face another archdemon than have to deal with this, but if we don't make a decision here, now, somebody else is gonna make it for us. I just wanna give Eubric the chance to get better so I can get back to drinkin' and fightin' evil. When these people get here I'm gonna suggest we put together some sorta council to rule Eubric. If anyone has a better suggestion, or someone else they want present for this little chat, speak up now. I wanna get this over with all at once. Sound good?"

38613641175_2cbff027fb_t.jpg
"Pfff, councils, parliaments, senates, they all have the same problem. You'll never get anythin' done. Constant back-biting and everyone trying to get their own priorities ahead of everyone else. How you expecting to solve that?"

7 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"You're right, Atramor. As much as it sounds like a return to the past, I think it is the only solution. Besides, Ulric, look at the number of your supporters who jumped to side with the Founders when they returned. Hell, when we got to fighting them, most of the support we had came from people who used to work with the houses, though obviously, they would have had reasons for doing so. Still, it seems to me that even in the Hovels people are not entirely in agreement with the idea of you becoming king. Some maybe, but I'm not sure if even the majority are. I must say, these Founders rising from the dead has changed some of my mindsets about this city. But...Scheherazade, is there an actual message for us from Hoples?"

If there is a message from Hoples, I read it.

"Believe me, ya want to ensure you don't have a riot on your hands, you'll make sure the Hovels have a say in all this. That wall's been broken down, ain't know way you're putting them back behind it without blood being spilled."

Scheherazade hands a letter to Pretzel.

Hello heroes, I hope you're able to get this message. We're restrained most of the undead within the city, the Paladin forces have been key in ensuring the nastier ones were put down. We've got another problem though, the Bonaparte fleet has sent messages saying they'll blockade the port without some sort of parlay on the main land. Hope you get this message, we'll do our best to make sure things stay civil out here.

5 hours ago, Flipz said:

At last, Arthur finally turns to address Ulric directly.  "Ulric.  With Kukulkan dead, what exactly are your intentions regarding leadership of the orcish rights movement, and the promises you've made to them?  I have to admit, I and some of my family have been pleased by some of the reforms you've been promising, and have even been pushing to do more to help people in our own way, but the big issue has always come back around to your trustworthiness--or rather, your potential lack thereof.  Care to make your case?"

"I'd say my actions speak for themselves and that the message of freedom is consistent with all those who follow me no matter their race. Kukullkan's passing will indeed be hard on the community, however I believe moving forward, the group will see that there is always room for them under the banner of the wolf. As for my trustworthiness, I believe I've always been clear about my goals." Ulric smiles, "However my strategy has always needed to be adaptive to the conditions in which I find myself."

Skrall pulls Arthur aside slightly.
26621841541_b6c025c0ed_t.jpg
"The liberation movement, still maintains a loose clan structure of representatives, the Wolf-head hasn't made any moves to dissolve it yet. If he tries, you can be sure we'll check him if not completely sever our ties to him."

1 hour ago, CMP said:

"We're pretty much unkillable with the Nornalis. That's a dangerous thing. Picture the faction war that almost happened. Sungold, Crescent Union, Wolfgang. We came damn close to heroes clashin' blades over ideologies."

"We have a power that few others do. We gotta be careful with that. We need to be...better with that. Heroica needs to be around to serve everyone, period."

"Perhaps it is a power, too great to be maintained... don't get me wrong havin' the extra security ain't nothing to be ungrateful about, however I can't help but feel it certainly makes us a little unapproachable by the common man on the street. If Heroica's about inspirin' regular folks that they too are capable of livin' a better life for their fellow man, can't see how advertisin' special mystical resurrection magics is helpin' that image."

5 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Will do."  Arthur sends off quick missives for Noctus, Hoples, Knyghton, Zelda, and Daneeka.  After a few moments' thought, he also calls for Valentine and Noel, just to be able to see them again after recent events.

A few minutes pass before messages return in response letting the heroes know that they would soon have more company. (Sorry still working on a final build)

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

"The only way we can be a check, is if we align ourselves alongside something like what Atramor's proposing - which is, in fact, very nearly what I was already thinking of proposing myself.

If we're in charge of the government, how can we really be a check against ourselves? We can't.

For this to work, we'd need power to be split up across several branches - with each branch having some degree of check over the others - but not so much that a single branch can veto all the other branches' hard work.

I don't really know, though, if there's enough strength in the remnants of all the Houses, to form as solid a base as we need for this. They were shuttered pretty quickly when the false Founders walked through here - might that not happen again, in the face of danger?"

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

As a Hall, we have a reputation and a certain freedom of mobility. If we officially ally ourselves politically, if we make Heroica a political movement - that's going to get messy. As messy as it already is being quote-unquote 'mercenaries,' it's far messier to be a government-sanctioned hit squad. I agree with Atramor and Arthur, official politics have only brought the Hall corruption and ruin. Heroes are allowed to ally themselves wherever, but the organization as a whole, and its leadership, should remain neutral.

...Which, brings me to my next point. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but 'might as well make an official statement. I want to run for Veteran, or however we're doing this process. I was never loyal to the Union or the Alliance, not in actuality, anyways. My loyalty has always been to the broader city first and foremost, to maintaining peace. This is the best way I think I can do that. I want Heroica to stand for something again, and... well, I guess I want to stand for something again. I don't know how banal we're going to be about classes - if needed, put me down as rogue, ranger, whatever. I want in. 

"I'd put extra strong emphasis on that 'staying neutral' part - and we'd need some kind of a punishment for Veterans who stray from it."

The Black Knight leant back.

"I'm all for starting the nominations - already picked my list - but wouldn't it be better to wait until after we'd already gotten more of the government figured out? People may find positions there that they would be better suited - and prefer - to serve as, than as a Veteran."

1 minute ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Pfff, councils, parliaments, senates, they all have the same problem. You'll never get anythin' done. Constant back-biting and everyone trying to get their own priorities ahead of everyone else. How you expecting to solve that?"

"By embracing it. By building a system where everyone's divisions ensure that no one gets too much power - but where the majority of the city, and its people, are the ones whose will is eventually heard and followed. Not a small handful of the rich. Not the loudest of the Hovel crowd. The majority of the city and its people.

That being said..."

Lind nodded.

"We need to make sure the Hovels have decent representation. They represent a huge portion of this city's population. We need to make sure they have representation equal to their population size, while not being able to use that size to single-handedly crush any opposing legislation or leaders.

Not recognizing how many of them there are would not be fair - but nether would be just letting them use their size to run rough over the rest of us."

"Believe me, ya want to ensure you don't have a riot on your hands, you'll make sure the Hovels have a say in all this. That wall's been broken down, ain't know way you're putting them back behind it without blood being spilled."

"Is it safe to assume that you consider yourself their spokesperson? Or is there someone - or another group - you have in mind?"

"Perhaps it is a power, too great to be maintained... don't get me wrong havin' the extra security ain't nothing to be ungrateful about, however I can't help but feel it certainly makes us a little unapproachable by the common man on the street. If Heroica's about inspirin' regular folks that they too are capable of livin' a better life for their fellow man, can't see how advertisin' special mystical resurrection magics is helpin' that image."

"We've had plenty of 'common men,' - and women - approach us over the years.

There's no lack of mercenary outfits out there. We're the only ones who can't die. Because we can't die, we're the only ones who have the capacity to put morals first, and survival second. Any other organization has to focus on survival first, morals second.

If we give up the only thing that allows us to serve as a beacon of hope, how can we inspire anyone?"

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

"It'd be nice for 'the people' to be a check on the government, but in practice there needs to be a mechanism in place for that to actually work.  We're the most accessible path people have toward becoming that check.  Look at who we are, where we came from -- rich or poor, commoner or noble, scholar or soldier, the Hall didn't care; all of us started from the same place with practically nothing, and grew with time to become the people we are today, people with political and practical power both within and outside of Heroica.  Heroica is the great equalizer, and that's what makes Heroes the perfect tool for keeping other, more closed-off powers in check.  In a sense, we don't represent the will of the people, we're the mechanism through which the people get to execute their own will for themselves.  That's what the original Yuliana saw in Heroica, and that's what I see, too."

45542551622_825ffccff8.jpg
"Sounds to me like you're putting a lot of faith in Heroica."

A familiar (to some) Assassin leans against the doorframe, not bothering to look at Arthur but instead grinning wryly at a certain Warden in particular.  Though she puts up a brave front, the awkward angle of her crossbow arm and the tell-tale pinpricks of blood wicking into clean clothing is evidence to the observant that she'd been through some serious action recently, and still wasn't up to any more combat in the immediate future; the hastily-hidden wince as she pushes herself up and the harder-to-hide limp as she takes a few steps forward provide further proof of her extensive injuries.

43775169850_59442e015e_t.jpg
"Boss," Diana intones casually with a half-hearted nod at Ulfric.  She smiles openly at Kiray.  "Sorry I'm late.  I got a little... held up at the office, you might say."  The one-time Hero twirls a pair of Watch-issued Shackles of War around a finger before slipping them back into her pocket.  "Miss me?"

Arthur frowns at the newcomer, but decides not to object to her presence.  "I'm not suggesting... look, Yuliana's spirit put it best: the Heroica she founded 'placed no absolute faith in either itself or any other institution, it put its faith in people.'  The way I see it, for all the ways Heroica's changed since then, that's one way it hasn't, that's all."

Diana merely shrugs at the objection, seemingly uninterested in the Skirmisher now that she has Kiray in her sights.

OOC: Hope you don't mind, WBD, happened to stumble across the 'fig and decided to show off Diana and the upgraded outfit I worked out for that cancelled Quest before the end.

10 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'd say my actions speak for themselves and that the message of freedom is consistent with all those who follow me no matter their race. Kukullkan's passing will indeed be hard on the community, however I believe moving forward, the group will see that there is always room for them under the banner of the wolf. As for my trustworthiness, I believe I've always been clear about my goals." Ulric smiles, "However my strategy has always needed to be adaptive to the conditions in which I find myself."

Skrall pulls Arthur aside slightly.
"The liberation movement, still maintains a loose clan structure of representatives, the Wolf-head hasn't made any moves to dissolve it yet. If he tries, you can be sure we'll check him if not completely sever our ties to him."

A few minutes pass before messages return in response letting the heroes know that they would soon have more company. (Sorry still working on a final build)

"That your actions speak for themselves is... part of the problem, Ulric.  You can't deny what a massive mistake you made with Baba.  I know you also helped make her downfall possible, but that doesn't erase the mistake you made in the first place.  Surely you can see why that wouldn't inspire confidence in your decision-making in me or my family."

Arthur nods approvingly at Skrall's reassurance.  "Good.  I'd hate to see the movement die with its head.  Honestly, now seems an ideal time to get some things set in stone here and now--if Eubric's supposed to be a free port, there shouldn't be anyone bound in slavery, you know?  But I guess that's something to discuss once we actually have the city's power players all in one place."

"Honestly?  I go back and forth on that thing myself.  On the one hand, it definitely levels the playing field between those rich enough to afford combat training and those poor enough that untrained brawling's their only option.  On the other... yeah, immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be, and perceived invincibility can definitely lead to recklessness.  Something to be considered for sure."

5 hours ago, KotZ said:

Karie begrudgingly nods. "There's some of us here who clearly want to enter politics. There's other amongst us who want to continue working in Heroica. There can't be a direct involvement between the two. I have no issue with heroes holding a position within a political group, as to withhold Heroican members to remain unpolitical and neutral on political issues is a recipe for disaster, but for Heroica as a guild, because lets face it, that's what this hall is, to completely ally itself with a political ideology is just a dangerous. Heroica must remain non-partisan, but it's individual members should be free to be aligned with whatever political affiliation they want to, barring what they're involved in isn't illegal."

12 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Karie raised a skeptical eyebrow at Ulric. "Adaptive? So how will you adapt to a crown being placed on your furry noggin? This is the exact reason I told you I wouldn't support you back in the sewers, Ulric. I know what you claim to be for: ensuring the poor's needs are seen to, bringing down the wall, bringing law to this city. What I don't know is how you intend to go about doing that. What are you going to do to those who stand in your way? We all know you've had a criminal streak in your pas, and if rumours are to be believed you've worked with less than savoury individuals in the past: who's to say you won't fall back on those tendencies?"

3 minutes ago, Flipz said:

Though she puts up a brave front, the awkward angle of her crossbow arm and the tell-tale pinpricks of blood wicking into clean clothing is evidence to the observant that she'd been through some serious action recently, and still wasn't up to any more combat in the immediate future; the hastily-hidden wince as she pushes herself up and the harder-to-hide limp as she takes a few steps forward provide further proof of her extensive injuries.

"Boss," Diana intones casually with a half-hearted nod at Ulfric.  She smiles openly at Kiray.  "Sorry I'm late.  I got a little... held up at the office, you might say."  The one-time Hero twirls a pair of Watch-issued Shackles of War around a finger before slipping them back into her pocket.  "Miss me?"

Karie looks over at the newcomer with a look of worry. "You okay? I can take a look at your wounds if you'd like."

52 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Atramor crossed his arms.

"People like you, mate. The problem with the Houses was that they were all large and in charge, even the ones that started up elsewhere. Decades or centuries of bein' rich and bein' powerful. But look what just happened. Shadeaux lost everythin', and nearly lost their lives, too. Their youngest kid was out there riskin' her life with the rest of us. The Ziegfrieds nearly got evicted, but helped us anyway. The Bonies just lost their seat of power, the Hinckwells and the Guild are in pieces, and the Watch is gonna be tryin' to piece together what just happened for weeks. Those Lion Knights outta Bric'bay? Even they showed up."

"Eubric just got upended. Ya' know that. That's why you're here: make your play while ya' have the chance. The city's ready for change. It doesn't have a choice in the matter anymore, Rosier made sure of that. We're not buildin' new Houses to take control, we're puttin' together everyone that have proved they are willin' to fight for what's best for Eubric. Will they always agree on what that is, hell no. But each of 'em need a voice. And this time? The common folk will have a voice too: you."

"I've seen kingdoms. I've seen empires. Dastan. Xu. Strivvi. Azzurat. Know what every single one had in common? They each only needed one bad guy sittin' on a throne for everythin' to go to hell. We set up a single leader, it will happen. Sooner or later. Believe me when I say this, mate. This whole situation here was real damn bad. But you haven't seen just how far a nation can fall under one bad king. That's all it ever takes. Neither of us might live to see it. But it will."

52 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The rogue looked down into the depths of his bottle.

"Yeah. I thought about it, Skrall. But..." Atramor trailed off briefly. He twisted the bottle in his hand, and looked up. "...I was one of the first ones in the Hall after the whole Lucifuge thing. Course, didn't know about that, back then. But when I got in there...there were maybe half a dozen people. And aye, there were a whole lot more that joined along with me, in those early days. But look 'round now. Half the Veterans got wiped out in a single battle...and I know, unique circumstances, but...mate. This is dangerous stuff. And I dunno about you, but I'd be long dead in this line of work without the Nornalis. Personally, I can make my peace with that, but it isn't just us. It's everyone that joins Heroica. Man, woman, child."

"I can get by without the Nornalis. But that idiot pirate who wandered in here seven years ago, hopin' to make bank? He wouldn't've."

11 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Karie begrudgingly nods. "There's some of us here who clearly want to enter politics. There's other amongst us who want to continue working in Heroica. There can't be a direct involvement between the two. I have no issue with heroes holding a position within a political group, as to withhold Heroican members to remain unpolitical and neutral on political issues is a recipe for disaster, but for Heroica as a guild, because lets face it, that's what this hall is, to completely ally itself with a political ideology is just a dangerous. Heroica must remain non-partisan, but it's individual members should be free to be aligned with whatever political affiliation they want to, barring what they're involved in isn't illegal."

"That's a nice sentiment. My problem is that's what Hestia Bonaparte was doin', and she didn't even show her face while the rest of the Veterans scrambled. Push comes to shove, those heroes will have to make a choice between their faction and Heroica. Or between their faction and another one. I can't tell ya' how many times the Hinckwells wanted me to rip off the Shadeaux...or the other way 'round. I'm tired of those choices. Those decisions. Heroes gotta do what's right, and if that ain't obvious enough, they gotta go with their heart. Is that somethin' we can control, maybe not. But we can't let ourselves be swayed like we were."

"I'm serious 'bout that, by the way. Those choices took years off my life, mates. I'm pretty sure that bag-of-holding thing is gonna shave off a decade or so."

Edited by CMP

1 hour ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"I'd put extra strong emphasis on that 'staying neutral' part - and we'd need some kind of a punishment for Veterans who stray from it."

The Black Knight leant back.

"I'm all for starting the nominations - already picked my list - but wouldn't it be better to wait until after we'd already gotten more of the government figured out? People may find positions there that they would be better suited - and prefer - to serve as, than as a Veteran."

That's warranted, sure. But again, I'm neutral. I can't be tied to any house or faction, hel, I'm not even a native. I can't see anywhere else I belong where I can make a difference, so I might as well step forward where I can. 

1 hour ago, Flipz said:

"Honestly?  I go back and forth on that thing myself.  On the one hand, it definitely levels the playing field between those rich enough to afford combat training and those poor enough that untrained brawling's their only option.  On the other... yeah, immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be, and perceived invincibility can definitely lead to recklessness.  Something to be considered for sure."

Rone can't help but glance towards Matthias. Still, he nods.

Three times now, I've been without the protection of the Nornalis. 'Can't say it's hurt too much to be rid of it. I'd suggest keeping it around and activating its ward when the next archdemon swings by, but I can't see a power like that just sitting around untapped without someone abusing it. It's served the Hall, but heroism isn't much of a claim if there's no risk to it. The Founders were able to manipulate it... maybe we should just destroy it altogether.

44 minutes ago, CMP said:

"I've seen kingdoms. I've seen empires. Dastan. Xu. Strivvi. Azzurat. Know what every single one had in common? They each only needed one bad guy sittin' on a throne for everythin' to go to hell. We set up a single leader, it will happen. Sooner or later. Believe me when I say this, mate. This whole situation here was real damn bad. But you haven't seen just how far a nation can fall under one bad king. That's all it ever takes. Neither of us might live to see it. But it will."

I can speak to that. I fled to Eubric because of corrupt kings, I'd hate to see the Freeport turn into that very same mess. What makes Eubric what it is, is its variety. Any sort of governance would need to reflect that.

1 hour ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Is it safe to assume that you consider yourself their spokesperson? Or is there someone - or another group - you have in mind?"

I mean, if we're taking names, Skrall seems to know what's best for the group.

Vindsval sips from his steaming tankard. 

It always seem to come back to politics as of late.  All this squabbling makes me almost think that my mother's people have the right of it.  If two both wish to rule, and the council cannot decide on who they wish to see sat in the chieftains place, they simply allow their blades to settle the matter.  No one innocents die to see someone upon a throne save those who wish its seat.

11 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Three times now, I've been without the protection of the Nornalis. 'Can't say it's hurt too much to be rid of it. I'd suggest keeping it around and activating its ward when the next archdemon swings by, but I can't see a power like that just sitting around untapped without someone abusing it. It's served the Hall, but heroism isn't much of a claim if there's no risk to it. The Founders were able to manipulate it... maybe we should just destroy it altogether.

"Oh hell no!"

With those word Throlar was back with the rest of the Heroes.

"That is the single stupidest, most irresponsible thing I've ever heard!"

And as irritable as ever to boot.

"Quite aside from the difficulties that would place us in we are, if you recall, not the only people under it's protection. The Norns brought it over to Eubric when they fled Vartland and have been dependent on it's protection ever since. Even if Heroica ceases to make use of it we are not destroying it simply because it is not ours to do with as we please! Now, can someone tell me what's going on here, what he," he pointed at Ulric, "is doing here, and who she," he pointed at Diana, "is and what she's doing here."

Edited by Lord Duvors

12 hours ago, CMP said:

"That's a nice sentiment. My problem is that's what Hestia Bonaparte was doin', and she didn't even show her face while the rest of the Veterans scrambled. Push comes to shove, those heroes will have to make a choice between their faction and Heroica. Or between their faction and another one.

"Atramor is right. If we complain about the way Hestia sided with the Bonapartes, and I think we just about all did in one form or another, then we've got to realize that it simply doesn't work to have Heroes with outside affiliations. How we can enforce this, I do not know. I doubt it's even really possible in truth..." I look over at Kiray.

"As far as the Nornalis is concerned, I would have thought well of destroying it or at least keeping it out of Heroica, but Atramor again makes a valid point. How many of you all would be here today if it weren't for that. How many people have we had entering the hall who started with selfish motivations, but ended up becoming true heroes. Certainly, there are those who have not changed much through being in Heroica, but the fact is that, as much as I may have said the opposite in the past, Heroica doesn't have too many people in it. Think about it, if our lives are really as easy as some of you make it out to be, why aren't people breaking down our doors to get in. Don't tell me any rot about them feeling morally superior to us either. They aren't coming in droves, because people don't want to make the sacrifices it takes to be a hero of Heroica. People don't want the risk, the danger, they don't want to be responsible for saving Eubric when an archdemon strolls into town. They want to leave it to someone else. I think we've got to hang onto those we've got and do our best to encourage those who are coming in that their first mistake won't mean the end of them.

"If we destroy the Nornalis or remove it from Heroica, it's true that those who come to join us may likely be better characters, noble characters, or whatever, but how many of those will there really be? How many of you were that way when you first came?"

My eyes fall on Petaldan, and I promptly go quiet.

Hoke sighs in disgust. He's not sure whether he should skin the wolf while he was there or just walk off. The others didn't sound much better.

13 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Not just their spokesperson, their protector. There's a few other charitable individuals in the hovels, a Teresa Finneldria, Patricia, one of the better Ziegfrieds. The Oracle, your Sandqueen, was always popular among the people, can't see her dyin' goin' easy on 'em."

13 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

There's no lack of mercenary outfits out there. We're the only ones who can't die. Because we can't die, we're the only ones who have the capacity to put morals first, and survival second. Any other organization has to focus on survival first, morals second.

If we give up the only thing that allows us to serve as a beacon of hope, how can we inspire anyone?"

"By showin' you don't need some sort of magical safety net to fall back on when things get tough. Short of times when the Nornalis wasn't workin', how many of us could say we've ever truly risked our lives for what we believe in. It's easy to be moral when you've got nothin' on the line, much harder when there's a cost. That's what separates the heroes from the mercs."

13 hours ago, Flipz said:

Arthur frowns at the newcomer, but decides not to object to her presence.  "I'm not suggesting... look, Yuliana's spirit put it best: the Heroica she founded 'placed no absolute faith in either itself or any other institution, it put its faith in people.'  The way I see it, for all the ways Heroica's changed since then, that's one way it hasn't, that's all."

Diana merely shrugs at the objection, seemingly uninterested in the Skirmisher now that she has Kiray in her sights.

OOC: Hope you don't mind, WBD, happened to stumble across the 'fig and decided to show off Diana and the upgraded outfit I worked out for that cancelled Quest before the end.

"Diana, wondered how long the watch would be keepin' you busy."

QM Note: I don't mind at all and in fact if there are any other NPC's from the other QM's, feel free to take them over, Illdria (CMP) for example.

12 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie raised a skeptical eyebrow at Ulric. "Adaptive? So how will you adapt to a crown being placed on your furry noggin? This is the exact reason I told you I wouldn't support you back in the sewers, Ulric. I know what you claim to be for: ensuring the poor's needs are seen to, bringing down the wall, bringing law to this city. What I don't know is how you intend to go about doing that. What are you going to do to those who stand in your way? We all know you've had a criminal streak in your pas, and if rumours are to be believed you've worked with less than savoury individuals in the past: who's to say you won't fall back on those tendencies?"

"We're still standin' here ain't we? I've cut my ties with a fair share of those 'less than savoury individuals' when their sacrifice assisted this city. Donny, Kayla, Nicolas flawed each one of 'em, but they cared about this city in some way or another and laid down their lives to ensure it was better than their own failures. The witch, a pawn, to ensure the corruption of the houses was stymied and when her usefulness to this city had been siphoned, don't forget who was the one who ousted her from this city." Ulric takes a sip of his goblet. "What do I intend? I intend to make sure this city is prepared for the end of all times and the best way I can see how is by gettin' myself to the top in order to do that. It means making sure this city is unified, not divided by race, class, creed, or politics. It means makin' laws that keep the rich of this city from grindin' the poor into the dust with their boot heal, it means makin' sure the paladins don't have a standin' army that they can wipe the city clear of anyone with green skin if their theology decides to change again, it means having a watch willing to listen to the wronged instead of choppin' off the hand of the nearest street urchin. It means makin' sure those with the wealth and the technology of this city are usin' it for the betterment of all instead of buildin' loft mansions for themselves on the top of some hill. That's what it means."

12 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor crossed his arms.

"People like you, mate. The problem with the Houses was that they were all large and in charge, even the ones that started up elsewhere. Decades or centuries of bein' rich and bein' powerful. But look what just happened. Shadeaux lost everythin', and nearly lost their lives, too. Their youngest kid was out there riskin' her life with the rest of us. The Ziegfrieds nearly got evicted, but helped us anyway. The Bonies just lost their seat of power, the Hinckwells and the Guild are in pieces, and the Watch is gonna be tryin' to piece together what just happened for weeks. Those Lion Knights outta Bric'bay? Even they showed up."

"Eubric just got upended. Ya' know that. That's why you're here: make your play while ya' have the chance. The city's ready for change. It doesn't have a choice in the matter anymore, Rosier made sure of that. We're not buildin' new Houses to take control, we're puttin' together everyone that have proved they are willin' to fight for what's best for Eubric. Will they always agree on what that is, hell no. But each of 'em need a voice. And this time? The common folk will have a voice too: you."

"And what of the good that one king can bring? Unshackled by the burdens of bureaucracy, of the conditions of compromise, the prioritization of partisanship when a wrong is done it can be righted, when there is unbalance it can be restored, mercy and justice can be doled out unconditionally. Would you give all of that away for the security of what 'may' happen?"

43 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Oh hell no!"

"Quite aside from the difficulties that would place us in we are, if you recall, not the only people under it's protection. The Norns brought it over to Eubric when they fled Vartland and have been dependent on it's protection ever since. Even if Heroica ceases to make use of it we are not destroying it simply because it is not ours to do with as we please! Now, can someone tell me what's going on here, what he," he pointed at Ulric, "is doing here, and who she," he pointed at Diana, "is and what she's doing here."

"Parlaying, you don't think I'd simply let you establish a new world order in your own image, do you?"

35 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Atramor is right. If we complain about the way Hestia sided with the Bonapartes, and I think we just about all did in one form or another, then we've got to realize that it simply doesn't work to have Heroes with outside affiliations. How we can enforce this, I do not know. I doubt it's even really possible in truth..." I look over at Kiray.

"As far as the Nornalis is concerned, I would have thought well of destroying it or at least keeping it out of Heroica, but Atramor again makes a valid point. How many of you all would be here today if it weren't for that. How many people have we had entering the hall who started with selfish motivations, but ended up becoming true heroes. Certainly, there are those who have not changed much through being in Heroica, but the fact is that, as much as I may have said the opposite in the past, Heroica doesn't have too many people in it. Think about it, if our lives are really as easy as some of you make it out to be, why aren't people breaking down our doors to get in. Don't tell me any rot about them feeling morally superior to us either. They aren't coming in droves, because people don't want to make the sacrifices it takes to be a hero of Heroica. People don't want the risk, the danger, they don't want to be responsible for saving Eubric when an archdemon strolls into town. They want to leave it to someone else. I think we've got to hang onto those we've got and do our best to encourage those who are coming in that their first mistake won't mean the end of them.

"If we destroy the Nornalis or remove it from Heroica, it's true that those who come to join us may likely be better characters, noble characters, or whatever, but how many of those will there really be? How many of you were that way when you first came?"

My eyes fall on Petaldan, and I promptly go quiet.

"Monk, it wasn't the Nornalis that set me straight. It was the people who took time to right me with a healin' potion, an essence, or their clerical ministry when I was down and perhaps deserved to die. I ain't any less grate for the Norn's gift, but it's a gift that can be abused, just think about what the Founders could have done with it had they truly been brought back."

28 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke sighs in disgust. He's not sure whether he should skin the wolf while he was there or just walk off. The others didn't sound much better.

Euflear stands to one side watching the proceedings in silence for the time being before moving over to Hoke.
42748028751_4a3f08bf58_t.jpg
"You know Cain always mentioned he thought you'd never return to the ways of the dragoon when you pursued the path of the paragon. You surprised him. What troubles you know?"

17 hours ago, CMP said:

"The Nornalis is a blessing and a curse. That faction war would have been absolutely the ugliest conflict.|

15 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Sounds to me like you're putting a lot of faith in Heroica."

A familiar (to some) Assassin leans against the doorframe, not bothering to look at Arthur but instead grinning wryly at a certain Warden in particular.  Though she puts up a brave front, the awkward angle of her crossbow arm and the tell-tale pinpricks of blood wicking into clean clothing is evidence to the observant that she'd been through some serious action recently, and still wasn't up to any more combat in the immediate future; the hastily-hidden wince as she pushes herself up and the harder-to-hide limp as she takes a few steps forward provide further proof of her extensive injuries.

"Di... Diana?" Kiray says, unsure as the memory of the apparation of her friend still burns hot. Taking a chance, she rushes over to the Assassin and gives her a crushing embrace. "Where in Hel have you been? You're hurt, bleeding. Here, use this potion." Kiray steps back, looking Diana up and down. "I like that outfit. OH! And check this out." Kiray then pulls out her own crossbow, showing it off. "We can catch up on this later, though." Kiray then sits down next to Diana.

14 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Exactly. The guild must remain neutral, but we should be able to do things individually."

13 hours ago, The Legonater said:

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Oh hell no!"

"I think that's a fair idea, except the destroying it. If we could turn it off and on for cataclysmic events, I think we would be ok." Kiray then turns to Throlar, "Ulric is here because he's helping, or trying. This is Diana, an Assassin aligned with the Wolfgang, as well as my closest and dearest friend."

OOC: Diana's new outfit totally fits her. Also, if we're able to bring over old NPCs, would anyone be opposed to Luke joining in?

Edited by KotZ

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Parlaying, you don't think I'd simply let you establish a new world order in your own image, do you?"

"Makes sense, I wouldn't let you either."

36 minutes ago, KotZ said:

"I think that's a fair idea, except the destroying it. If we could turn it off and on for cataclysmic events, I think we would be ok." Kiray then turns to Throlar, "Ulric is here because he's helping, or trying. This is Diana, an Assassin aligned with the Wolfgang, as well as my closest and dearest friend."

"Yes, helping. And I'm glad to meet your friend. Well, as glad as I can be right now. An assassin you say?"

1 minute ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Yes, helping. And I'm glad to meet your friend. Well, as glad as I can be right now. An assassin you say?"

"Yes. We met on a quest to Dastan, hadn't seen each other since. We grew close over that adventure."

Having gone through his belongings, Arthur returns the Glistening Halberd and one Gladiator Trident to Hoke (Arthur already had one Gladiator Trident of his own before then), before in turn returning the Bloody Skull Helmet, Duke's Coat of Arms, and Soul Link Chain to Pretzel.  He then reclaims his Diamond from Heckz, reclaims his Prayer Beads from Pretzel, and from a parcel left at the bar reclaims the Anniversary Medal, Fur Leggings, Sven's Dagger, and Staff of the Cultist Battlemage he'd lent Bellanotte.  He elects to continue to let Matthias borrow his Coat Hangar and Mail of the Renegade Commander, and outright lets Atramor keep the White Ninja Cowl he'd lent him.

15 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie looks over at the newcomer with a look of worry. "You okay? I can take a look at your wounds if you'd like."

Diana looks Karie over warily.

"...No thanks, redheads aren't exactly my type.  Brunettes, on the other hand..."  Diana smiles warmly at Kiray.

"Diana, wondered how long the watch would be keepin' you busy."

"Oh right, report."  Diana's face resumes its usual scowl.  "My fath--I mean, Jupiter Justus has been avenged, with prejudice.  There's one less Watchman coward out there willing to stab an unarmed Minstrel in the back for the 'crime' of spreading propaganda.  Er...end report, I guess?"

"We're still standin' here ain't we? I've cut my ties with a fair share of those 'less than savoury individuals' when their sacrifice assisted this city. Donny, Kayla, Nicolas flawed each one of 'em, but they cared about this city in some way or another and laid down their lives to ensure it was better than their own failures. The witch, a pawn, to ensure the corruption of the houses was stymied and when her usefulness to this city had been siphoned, don't forget who was the one who ousted her from this city." Ulric takes a sip of his goblet. "What do I intend? I intend to make sure this city is prepared for the end of all times and the best way I can see how is by gettin' myself to the top in order to do that. It means making sure this city is unified, not divided by race, class, creed, or politics. It means makin' laws that keep the rich of this city from grindin' the poor into the dust with their boot heal, it means makin' sure the paladins don't have a standin' army that they can wipe the city clear of anyone with green skin if their theology decides to change again, it means having a watch willing to listen to the wronged instead of choppin' off the hand of the nearest street urchin. It means makin' sure those with the wealth and the technology of this city are usin' it for the betterment of all instead of buildin' loft mansions for themselves on the top of some hill. That's what it means."

"That sounds great," Arthur replies, "but how do you intend on preventing your successors from reversing everything you've done?  What if you're assassinated, or mind controlled, or blackmailed, or subject to any number of misfortunes that would remove you from the playing field?  What if, gods forbid, you make another mistake?  How do you plan to stop all that from ruining the vision you've laid out?  I like your vision, really I do, but I just... I struggle to believe you can carry it out alone.  A year or two, maybe, sure.  But long-term?"  Arthur shakes his head.  "Eubric is a city of change.  No one person can possibly hope to bend it permanently to their will."

28 minutes ago, KotZ said:

"Di... Diana?" Kiray says, unsure as the memory of the apparation of her friend still burns hot. Taking a chance, she rushes over to the Assassin and gives her a crushing embrace. "Where in Hel have you been? You're hurt, bleeding. Here, use this potion." Kiray steps back, looking Diana up and down. "I like that outfit. OH! And check this out." Kiray then pulls out her own crossbow, showing it off. "We can catch up on this later, though." Kiray then sits down next to Diana.

Diana blanches at the tightness of the embrace, but the joy on her countenance practically exclaims 'worth it.'  She gratefully accepts the Potion, chugging it as smoothly as any veteran Hero, and looks over the Deadly Crossbow Kiray had hefted.

"Nice pick...always knew I was a good influence."  The Assassin smirks playfully, her impulse to throw an arm over the Warden's shoulder thwarted only by her injuries.

35 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Diana beams at Kiray, but at the mention of 'friend', her expression grows grim.

"Listen, Kiray... my father is..."  The Assassin closes her eyes and takes a deep, calming breath.  "Dad's... gone.  You and Walbartan are all I..."

Diana trails off, fingering some small, round object in her pocket.

"Look, what I'm trying to say is... after those cowardly bastards murdered my father, and they started talking about executing Heroes, and then everything with the Paladins and the curfews and... well, the thought occured to me that, well... people die... or well, not exactly that people die, I'm... familiar with that, it's more that it could be people I... you know... care about, and so it ended up being like, look, life is short, right?  And it's possible time can end up wasted, time you'd want to spend with people, 'cause they can die and all, and maybe waiting for the perfect moment isn't a grand gesture, it's an excuse -- no, cowardice -- and, and..."

The Assassin jumps to her feet, jerking her hand out of her pocket as if burned, before belatedly recalling her own injuries and dropping back to her seat with a hiss.

"You... you know what, you're right, catch up later, future of the city and all.  Good call, Kiray."  From her expression, the Assassin seems to be warring with herself over whether she's infuriated or relieved about her own actions.

8 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Ace Assassin, thank you very much.  But, uh...good to meet you, I guess.  Friend of Kiray's and all."

1 minute ago, KotZ said:

"Yes. We met on a quest to Dastan, hadn't seen each other since. We grew close over that adventure."

Diana's face briefly contorts in agony, only a little of it physical in nature.

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"And what of the good that one king can bring? Unshackled by the burdens of bureaucracy, of the conditions of compromise, the prioritization of partisanship when a wrong is done it can be righted, when there is unbalance it can be restored, mercy and justice can be doled out unconditionally. Would you give all of that away for the security of what 'may' happen?"

"You say that like it can avoided. You put one person above everyone else, sooner or later someone'll happen along that abuses that. And you're gonna say that it's worth it, that all the good you and whatever other kings are 'round 'fore that will make up for it. It won't. You leave all the power with one person, there's no one to stop them when things go bad. And they will go bad."

"What if Eubric did have a king when all this went down? We would've had to fight a Eubric that was completely and totally united under one banner. I don't think that's a fight even we would've won. You split the power, it's easier to cut out the corruption. "

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"By showin' you don't need some sort of magical safety net to fall back on when things get tough. Short of times when the Nornalis wasn't workin', how many of us could say we've ever truly risked our lives for what we believe in. It's easy to be moral when you've got nothin' on the line, much harder when there's a cost. That's what separates the heroes from the mercs."

"Monk, it wasn't the Nornalis that set me straight. It was the people who took time to right me with a healin' potion, an essence, or their clerical ministry when I was down and perhaps deserved to die. I ain't any less grate for the Norn's gift, but it's a gift that can be abused, just think about what the Founders could have done with it had they truly been brought back."

"I get it, mate. I do. But this ain't about provin' a point. This is about makin' sure good people, or people that can become good people, don't die before their time."

19 minutes ago, Flipz said:

Having gone through his belongings, Arthur returns the Glistening Halberd and one Gladiator Trident to Hoke (Arthur already had one Gladiator Trident of his own before then), before in turn returning the Bloody Skull Helmet, Duke's Coat of Arms, and Soul Link Chain to Pretzel.  He then reclaims his Diamond from Heckz, reclaims his Prayer Beads from Pretzel, and from a parcel left at the bar reclaims the Anniversary Medal, Fur Leggings, Sven's Dagger, and Staff of the Cultist Battlemage he'd lent Bellanotte.  He elects to continue to let Matthias borrow his Coat Hangar and Mail of the Renegade Commander, and outright lets Atramor keep the White Ninja Cowl he'd lent him.

Another unlikely visitor invading the hall eyed Arthur warily as he sorted out his gear. She then stepped forward off the staircase, marching towards the skirmisher importantly, in a huff and covered head-to-toe in white splinters.

16403890313_9ffb0c7a7d_t.jpg

"Huh. You've become a walking armory since the last time I saw you, Arthur. I don't know if that's an upgrade or what. Really, though. Good for you. You got your Hall back. Lovely. Compliments. Small talk. Et cetera. Et cetera. Who's paying for my ship?" she asked, quite bluntly, arms crossed. "Looks like the Magpie got you to that Fort - which was a lovely sight, I'll admit so I'll let you off for a hundred or so - and then a hold-full of up-and-comers back, all safely. And you did save me and most of my crew, again, so yes, perhaps I do owe you. A bit. But gratitude isn't gonna fix my ship."

15 hours ago, The Legonater said:

I can speak to that. I fled to Eubric because of corrupt kings, I'd hate to see the Freeport turn into that very same mess. What makes Eubric what it is, is its variety. Any sort of governance would need to reflect that.

"And neither is...whatever all this is. Are you all talking politics in here, Rone? Ah, I knew I had a bad feeling about walking in here, but this is worse than I imagined..."

Edited by CMP

30 minutes ago, Flipz said:

Diana looks Karie over warily.

"...No thanks, redheads aren't exactly my type.  Brunettes, on the other hand..."  Diana smiles warmly at Kiray.

"Oh right, report."  Diana's face resumes its usual scowl.  "My fath--I mean, Jupiter Justus has been avenged, with prejudice.  There's one less Watchman coward out there willing to stab an unarmed Minstrel in the back for the 'crime' of spreading propaganda.  Er...end report, I guess?"

Diana blanches at the tightness of the embrace, but the joy on her countenance practically exclaims 'worth it.'  She gratefully accepts the Potion, chugging it as smoothly as any veteran Hero, and looks over the Deadly Crossbow Kiray had hefted.

"Nice pick...always knew I was a good influence."  The Assassin smirks playfully, her impulse to throw an arm over the Warden's shoulder thwarted only by her injuries.

Diana beams at Kiray, but at the mention of 'friend', her expression grows grim.

"Listen, Kiray... my father is..."  The Assassin closes her eyes and takes a deep, calming breath.  "Dad's... gone.  You and Walbartan are all I..."

Diana trails off, fingering some small, round object in her pocket.

"Look, what I'm trying to say is... after those cowardly bastards murdered my father, and they started talking about executing Heroes, and then everything with the Paladins and the curfews and... well, the thought occured to me that, well... people die... or well, not exactly that people die, I'm... familiar with that, it's more that it could be people I... you know... care about, and so it ended up being like, look, life is short, right?  And it's possible time can end up wasted, time you'd want to spend with people, 'cause they can die and all, and maybe waiting for the perfect moment isn't a grand gesture, it's an excuse -- no, cowardice -- and, and..."

The Assassin jumps to her feet, jerking her hand out of her pocket as if burned, before belatedly recalling her own injuries and dropping back to her seat with a hiss.

"You... you know what, you're right, catch up later, future of the city and all.  Good call, Kiray."  From her expression, the Assassin seems to be warring with herself over whether she's infuriated or relieved about her own actions.

"Ace Assassin, thank you very much.  But, uh...good to meet you, I guess.  Friend of Kiray's and all."

Diana's face briefly contorts in agony, only a little of it physical in nature.

"You know what I mean when I said 'friend'," Kiray whispers to Diana, taking her hand and interlocking fingers.

7 minutes ago, CMP said:

Another unlikely visitor invading the hall eyed Arthur warily as he sorted out his gear. She then stepped forward off the staircase, marching towards the skirmisher importantly, in a huff and covered head-to-toe in white splinters.

"Huh. You've become a walking armory since the last time I saw you, Arthur. I don't know if that's an upgrade or what. Really, though. Good for you. You got your Hall back. Lovely. Compliments. Small talk. Et cetera. Et cetera. Who's paying for my ship?" she asked, quite bluntly, arms crossed. "Looks like the Magpie got you to that Fort - which was a lovely sight, I'll admit so I'll let you off for a hundred or so - and then a hold-full of up-and-comers back, all safely. And you did save me and most of my crew, again, so yes, perhaps I do owe you. A bit. But gratitude isn't gonna fix my ship."

"And neither is...whatever all this is. Are you all talking politics in here, Rone? Ah, I knew I had a bad feeling about walking in here, but this is worse than I imagined..."

I thought Arthur already paid you? 

In any case, yeah, politics seem to be the talk of the day. Can't have a nice change of order without, well, order afterward. Look, a while ago you told me that you'd rather be rid of the Houses - that's what we're trying to do. No more squabbling, no more power grabs; a fully represented council that aims for Eubric's best. This is a good thing we're setting up here. 

Just now, The Legonater said:

I thought Arthur already paid you? 

In any case, yeah, politics seem to be the talk of the day. Can't have a nice change of order without, well, order afterward. Look, a while ago you told me that you'd rather be rid of the Houses - that's what we're trying to do. No more squabbling, no more power grabs; a fully represented council that aims for Eubric's best. This is a good thing we're setting up here. 

"That was before I saw the mess you left on the deck. There's three dragon corpses tangled up in the starboard rigging - how does that even happen?"

"Probably for the best things get shaken up. Maybe with the Bonies out of the picture I can actually start getting business going again. The plan was to lay low after the thing with the Commodore, but when word got to us about one of your Veterans biting it I figured it'd do us more harm than good staying away. Looks like I was right, but I suppose they had us pegged as troublemakers as soon as we hit port. Anyhow. That all sounds well and good as long as this council doesn't interfere with things the way the Houses did. I was born in the Hovels, and I'm more than happy to help if it puts a stop to nonsense like the wall."