Sign in to follow this  
lcvisser

[TC13] Steampunk windup clock

I have one of the old pull-back motors, which, as @Aventador2004 noticed, unwind really, really fast. I quickly realised that if I wanted to build anything but a car, I needed something to let it unwind in a controlled manner. For example, an escapement, like in a clock. Unfortunately, @Didumos69 posted his topic while I was working on my proof-of-concept. I guess there's no rule against having the same idea, but I'll think about if I want to build a clock or something else from it :wink:

Anyway: here's a proof-of-concept to show that the idea works. I shamelessly borrowed one of Ben van de Waals escapements (W40, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-dXJJ-aJ60), which works great. Now to figure out a ratchet mechanism to wind it. To be continued :classic:

PS: sorry for the filming-through-a-vertical-mailbox-opening, but my phone was the quickest way to get a quick video and I still don't know how to use it properly :grin: If anyone can tell me how to change the aspect ratio on the iPhone, let me know.

Edited by Ludo Visser

Cool, another non-typical pullback implementation. This is gonna be an interesting contest for sure:classic:.

Mechanism works nice, looking forward to see where this will end up:thumbup:.

Good luck in contest!

Thanks, @Rudivdk

I now also have a ratchet that allows to wind up the pull-back. Accidentally, I reversed the gear direction (due to the differential). It still seems to work, but I think the other direction works better.

Now to figure what to do with this concept... Clock or something else... :classic:

Nice work, the escapement works well, I'm just waiting to see what you do with it.... 

1 hour ago, Ludo Visser said:

If anyone can tell me how to change the aspect ratio on the iPhone, let me know.

You should be able to change it just by holding it horizontally.

46 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

Or remove the 'automatic screen rotation' lock in settings if above does not work.

2 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

That did the trick indeed, as you can see in the second video... :blush:

7 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

Unfortunately, @Didumos69 posted his topic while I was working on my proof-of-concept. I guess there's no rule against having the same idea, but I'll think about if I want to build a clock or something else from it :wink:

You will have to figure out what to use it for, for yourself of course, but I wouldn't mind you making a clock too. We have to see whether I will make it to the finish line and it would be a pitty if you would regret not making a clock afterwards.

Good luck with this and I will sure be following your next steps.

So... I thought about a lot of ideas. Chess-clock, jack-in-the-box, etc. Finally, I came up with... a clock :grin: I tried something else: a mix of a digital and analog clock, so I could incorporate a lot of different mechanisms. Let's say it's "art deco" :wink:

The large number on the left is supposed to be the hour indicator. It's driven by a Geneva drive in the back of the clock. On the right are the minutes (long hand) and seconds (short hand). There's 4 minutes in an hour and 3 seconds in a minute. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but all the mechanisms require quite a bit of power and with more gearing I had to wind up the pullback multiple times to complete an "hour". The current gearing is a trade-off for visual appeal :blush:

In between the "hours" and the "minutes/seconds" is another second indicator that is supposed to be reminiscent of those found on digital clocks. It's driven by a Scotch yoke.

Technically everything works, as you can see in the video. The "packaging" needs some work though, but I have some time left, I learned.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for finishing the housing?

Looks great! ...or should I say, it looks horrible, but it works great! :laugh:

Not really sure what's best for a housing - especially with that big turning part... (which, by the way, is very cleverly built)

This has turned into something very creative! As for the housing, you could make it even more steam punk. Perhaps also add something that makes more noise.

I like @Didumos69 suggestions for the steampunk theme. I'm not very good at styling things, but I gave it a shot. What do you guys think? (sorry for the bad lighting in the photo's... it's quite dark here)

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I like it! Using gold and brown would be better, but I suppose you used the colors you had available. Despite the colors I thinks this fits the clock better than 'art deco'.

Good point regarding the gold and brown... I don't think I have any gold parts, but I'll check. I have a few brown parts that I might be able to use. Thanks for the feedback!

I found a few brown pieces from a Creator set I once bought... Is this the direction to go with, or I'm I doing it all wrong? :blush: 

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I think that the semi-random arrangement is very cool. Some additional mechanism, such a chime, would fit this perfectly! :wink:

This is starting to look better and better. Somehow the blue barrel is out of tone now.

I would like to 'hear' the clock :wink:.

On 23-1-2018 at 9:50 AM, Didumos69 said:

This is starting to look better and better. Somehow the blue barrel is out of tone now.

I would like to 'hear' the clock :wink:.

You're right about the mismatch of the blue. I was thinking the same, but I don't have a white one. But then I realised that 8868 has some nice tanks :wink: Fits nicely, I think:

800x600.jpg

There's a video a few posts up that has the mechanism with sound; it hasn't changed since, only aesthetics.

I think that this will be my final submission: make some nice photo's and a video in the weekend and I'm just in time :classic:

Edited by Ludo Visser