Hi there,

I've noticed whilst testing 'Electric Technic Motor 9V Geared 480rpm' (47154) http://peeron.com/inv/parts/47154, it was making a strange buzzing noise whilst going both clockwise and anti-clockwise.

47154.jpg

Could this mean one or more of the internal gears are failing? Thankfully, there are four thin screws on the bottom which allow the motor to be taken apart.

Are replacement gears obtainable? If not, then I have to have them either 3D Printed or cast in a silicone mold.

Thanks.

This motor is known to be noisy, so unless it's really loud or inconsistent, it's probably nothing to worry about...

Maybe you could take a video of it, so we can listen to it.

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

This motor is known to be noisy, so unless it's really loud or inconsistent, it's probably nothing to worry about...

Maybe you could take a video of it, so we can listen to it.

Here it is:

It sounds like a motor. I don't have one, but if this kind of motor is known to be noisy, that might just be it. You could try to find some plastic safe grease, and re lube the gears.

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I don’t have the motor, but it sounds like other non-LEGO motors I have used. It is probably just normal noise. 

If I remember correctly, it didn't make that noise when I first bought it.

So I assume the small white gear on the motor spindle has split due to 'plastic fatigue' and slips only when the output shaft is held.

6 hours ago, BrickWild said:

Here it is:

It does sound a bit strange...

1 hour ago, BrickWild said:

So I assume the small white gear on the motor spindle has split due to 'plastic fatigue' and slips only when the output shaft is held.

Could be, that's what happened to mine. The best way to check is to just open it, making sure you take notice of the gear arrangement as you go. If you're lucky, it might even fix itself when you put it back together...

I don't have one of those motors, but still it doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like you have a damaged tooth on one of the internal gears. I also wonder if the lubrication has dried out or something. Best thing I think would be to take it apart and inspect everything, then use some thin lithium grease on the gears when re-assembling. If you do, remember to take pictures as you take it apart so you can know how it all goes back together.

I have one, and it doesn't sound as grainy, though it does make noise. I think there's something loose inside the motor. Does the sound get worse when you put resistance on the output?

I also have two motors that don't work anymore, the red Micro Motor from 6979 and the Mini Motor from 8735.

I assume the parts inside the Mini Motor have been seized and now it's dead.

And I don't know why the red micro motor gave up in the first place.

41 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

And I don't know why the red micro motor gave up in the first place.

It could be that the magnet inside it has disintegrated, which if it has, will make a mess when you open it... (it's happened to me once...) 

1 hour ago, mocbuild101 said:

It could be that the magnet inside it has disintegrated, which if it has, will make a mess when you open it... (it's happened to me once...) 

They're impossible to fix due to the lack of spares.

It is an assault on history and it's totally disagreeable.

I dropped a duff micromotor onto a tiled floor and for some reason that got it working again!

I have one of these motors, for some reason the circuit board split in half, and I had to bypass the resistor. It sounds just like my motor, they are kinda noisy with the gearing inside of them.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky