Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2018 - Set Discussion

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

Wall of text. 

I think this summarizes how I feel with a more in dept view (I was on phone earlier). I guess I expected too much because this is IW and not some random wave, but it doesn't look all that special apart from the biggest set. I get why they made 1/4 of the sanctorum with an open back, but I would have loved something more like a modular. 

The iron man figure from the Milano set looks cool tho, too bad the set is really meh. 

2 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

-snip-

Suppose it's always possible the D2C will surprise us all, along with the other exclusive set.

At least on the bright side we dont get many repeating figures, other than Outriders.

31 minutes ago, doclord said:

Just noticed that Strange has a new cloak that looks more accurate to his movie cloak.

Isn't it the same one as 2016 movie version? Looks exactly the same, but I'm glad since that version look awesome.

41 minutes ago, doclord said:

Just noticed that Strange has a new cloak that looks more accurate to his movie cloak.

Same in design I think, but different cloth material than before. 

My (probably unwanted) thoughts on the new sets (arranged in order of worst to best):

Corvus Glaive attacks

How incredibly "meh"; the builds aren't very interesting and the figures are mostly repeats. I'll probably just end up buying Shuri, the mind stone and Corvus on bricklink.

The Hulkbuster fight

Nice figures in this one. The titular Hulkbuster is an odd one for me, as I like how similar to the Hulk it looks, yet it also annoys me that it's twice the size of the Hulk. Falcon's wings suck, they're too bulky. Proxima's weapon in the film looks similar enough to Aquaman's from the Justice League set, so I'll give it to her.

Attack of the Riders

The heroes are decent, the villains are good. Black Widow's face is very wrong. Cap's panther-like gauntlets should be in a more panther-like colour, gunmetal grey for instance. I love the Outrider's egg-like dropship, it's charmingly odd looking; I wish there were less gaps though, it really brings it down on my list. 

Thanos: The Last Battle

I rather like the new Milano, it looks less flat than the others. The 2014 version is still the best version, however. Thanos has grown on me, but I still wish they included something on his legs, the lack of detail down there makes him look like he's wearing a onesie. It was a weird choice to give him a sword, but maybe he has one in the movie (or TLG wanted to justify making a new piece for the monoski set). Star Lord having no helmet sucks. Gamora is really good, Iron Man is the best figure in the wave. His jetpack is oversized, but it isn't massively so like it was with Vulture. 

The Search for Thor's Weapon

Huh, turns out his new weapon is the hammer of Ultimate Thor. The forge is alright, nothing special. It'll probably end up lying around somewhere along with the red rock from Ayesha's revenge. I like teenage Groot a lot, although I wish he was bigger. Thor and Rocket are good. What ended up getting this set so high on my list is the pod. I'm a sucker for unusual looking vehicles, so the escape pod in this set really caught my eye. Seriously, I can't describe how much I like that thing. My only concern is that it seems like the back won't be built up as much as I'd hope, although I could (and hopefully am) wrong. Anyway, if the back does end up looking bad, I'll just keep it connected to the Milano full-time. It would be nice to display it separately, though.

The Battle in the Sanctum Sanctorum

I've never got around to buying a modular building set. I've always wanted to, but I've always seen something else that I consider a higher priority to spend my money on instead. Since this thing is basically a modular inside of my favourite theme featuring amazing minifigures, my problem is solved. It's also worth noting that if it is displayed on the pizzeria side, it could easily pass for a regular modular and therefore fit right in to someone's collection. 10/10, possibly the best superhero set Lego has ever made; a must-buy.

If anyone actually read this, thank you for enduring my rambling observations.

10 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Isn't it the same one as 2016 movie version? Looks exactly the same, but I'm glad since that version look awesome.

Softer cloth material and it's two separate pieces, so it's much easier to take off and avoid crinkling. 

I really like how Groot looks.  And I love how the gauntlet looks.  I will probably try to get that gauntlet and gems to put on my other Thanos, as I like that Thanos design better.

4 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I will probably try to get that gauntlet and gems to put on my other Thanos, as I like that Thanos design better.

I like this idea, especially if we were to get a second Gauntlet in the D2C.

I couldn’t get any of the Marvel sets last year due to the Lego Batman Movie sets and had to take most of my other ones apart to make room for those. While I wasn’t intending on getting any this year either, I’m very tempted by that Sanctum set :wub:

Just now, Duncan Young said:

I couldn’t get any of the Marvel sets last year due to the Lego Batman Movie sets and had to take most of my other ones apart to make room for those. While I wasn’t intending on getting any this year either, I’m very tempted by that Sanctum set :wub:

When I first saw image of this set and was able to describe them here it was potato quality and blurry, I was truly stunned by the design of it. Little by little we get a glimpse of those minifigures that is included.

Now. HD Pics are available online, I'm still loving it and I can't wait for it to be released. Hopefully there will be pictures of interior soon.

Wow just saw the sets and they look fantastic! Excellent builds all around, they really focused more on producting great sets than on highly detailed figs and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm going to have trouble deciding on what to pass on as I can't afford it all (this is going to be a very expensive year for all things awesome and nerdy, plus I'm getting married). The Sanctum is a must-have, Thor forging his new weapon is a shoe in, especially if that ends up being Stormbreaker, looks good regardless. The ship is a certainly a strange but cool design and the teen Groot figure is an instabuy. The new Hulkbuster blows the last one out of the water and I thought that one was pretty good. That one is hight on my list. The Outrider attack I will likely get as it'll be the cheapest set and has a decent selection of figures and another funky ship design. The new Milano is well built but I'm not a big fan of the color choice or shaping which I have no doubt is fairly accurate to the in universe design. Still, that Iron Man looks awesome with the jetpack and it's the only set with the Infinity Gauntlet so far. Thanos is still a big disapointed and the other figs aren't very exciting. Ultimately might pass on this one and wait to see what we get for Thanos in Avengers 4. The Wakandan wall looks very well done with a decent selection of figures, I'm not sure if it'll make the cut though. 

tldr: IW sets look incredible! Sanctum is a day-1 buy.

Edited by ToaDraco

We can now anticipate the D2C and exclusive set. 

The inclusion of MK43 (exposed chest) in these sets is a little bit weird for me. I wonde what will be the set be?  Avengers Facility because it has the old armor in it? 

2 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

We can now anticipate the D2C and exclusive set. 

The inclusion of MK43 (exposed chest) in these sets is a little bit weird for me. I wonde what will be the set be?  Avengers Facility because it has the old armor in it? 

I am assuming that the MK43 either means there's a Hall of Armors in the set or that it takes place in the past, both of which imply Avengers Facility.

Wow. That Sanctum is a modular. :oh3:

I'll just have to wait for better pictures to give my final judgement of that particular set, but other than that, there's nothing that specifically striking to me about the others. As for that Milano, it looks aesthetically inferior to last year's in both color scheme and construction I think. :def_shrug:

Mario posted a closer up image of the Hulkbuster. I love it even more than I already did now. The design is so much better than the already great one we got in 2015, the stickers really add some nice detail, and it overall just looks heavier and more powerful than the old one. I’m so excited for all of these sets and I’m afraid the D2C and 7th set will explode my brain. 

When it's said that the Hulkbuster has a "go to sleep" function, does that imply that the hand moves forwards and back, or that the entire arm can be moved up and down? Because I see no room for such a feature in the hand area. 

Rather uninspiring builds, but maybe after seeing the movie they’ll grow on me more. Definitely disappointed in the sanctum / Peter Parker apartment building mashup, wish it had just been the sanctum.

As far as outstanding parts go, the Trans. Purple window panes in the Wakanda set might be new, but I'm not certain. We don't see many larger parts and/or canopies come in that color often, so that's always welcome.

Love those sets, especially the Sanctum :)

Why does everyone say the ship in Thanos' set is the Milano? It looks nothing like the Milano other than it has two wings. It looks like a new Guardians ship to me

2 minutes ago, Shahennian said:

Love those sets, especially the Sanctum :)

Why does everyone say the ship in Thanos' set is the Milano? It looks nothing like the Milano other than it has two wings. It looks like a new Guardians ship to me

I agree, i don't see the resemblance at all

7 minutes ago, Shahennian said:

"Milano" is shorthand for "Guardians' Ship" I'm sure.