Yeah, I seriously don't get why Lego did not do radio control from the start. So much better than IR, and not much more expensive. I mean, you can get a cheap RC car for only 15 bucks, about the cost of a whole PF receiver. Surely Lego could do a radio remote and receiver for the same price as the IR pf stuff, but no.

I am not 100% sure about the backgrounds, but I read here on EB somewhere, that radio controlled systems are regulated country by country, thus certification must be done everywhere. For IR system there is no such thing. If it is correct, than makes perfect sense to use IR, You don't need to bother about extra bureaucracy - easy implementation to market.

Still, I would like to see another battery solution too, they are indeed too bulky, and replacing batteries all the time is really pain in the megablocks... not to mention it is so outdated! That is a reason, why I start to focus on manual models more.

On the bright side, I like the hardware based controls, I don't want to fondle a flat surface, without any feedback, I don't want to fight with connection problems, I don't want to have an extra device to be able to play. I tried both, for me "Swithch ON and GO!" is the way I want to play with my Legos, and I am pretty sure, most of the young children share this opinion. It is simply because they are not patient enough in that age. 

Edited by agrof

On 11/26/2017 at 12:14 PM, agrof said:

I am not 100% sure about the backgrounds, but I read here on EB somewhere, that radio controlled systems are regulated country by country, thus certification must be done everywhere. For IR system there is no such thing. If it is correct, than makes perfect sense to use IR, You don't need to bother about extra bureaucracy - easy implementation to market.

Furthermore, I remember seeing a video where TLG designers were pointing out that Lego is meant as an indoor toy and they seem very reluctant to lean toward solutions that could imply otherwise. It certainly has to do with regulatory requirements as you are pointing out. 

Edited by tohan

On 12/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, tohan said:

Furthermore, I remember seeing a video where TLG designers were pointing out that Lego is meant as an indoor toy and they seem very reluctant to lean toward solutions that could imply otherwise. It certainly has to do with regulatory requirements as you are pointing out. 

Not to mention all the issues with warranty claims from people using the models in unsuitable outdoor conditions.  Much less of a problem when limiting product scope to indoors.

1 hour ago, Boulderer said:

Not to mention all the issues with warranty claims from people using the models in unsuitable outdoor conditions.  Much less of a problem when limiting product scope to indoors.

Plus longer distance and bigger speed mean a less chance to catch the model when it's about to fall...

On 12/12/2017 at 6:33 PM, tohan said:

LEGO used to release sets for outdoor - 8369, 8675. Both controlled remotely and with plenty of speed.

We'll be getting PF components in the 2H sets, so don't think an upgraded PF system is likely before 2019.

Another interesting note, there might be an app controlled batmobile coming late next year, that's in the super heroes theme though but will still be interesting.

On 12/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, zux said:

LEGO used to release sets for outdoor - 8369, 8675. Both controlled remotely and with plenty of speed.

They did indeed. I actually bought the 8676 at the time and although it was a fun RC toy, it was a clear rupture from the more 'regular' LEGO set. I wouldn't bet on an exception to dismiss the rule entirely.

I'm pretty sure what I mentioned was heard in this video but I haven't had the time to review it entirely to quote the precise time it is said. Sorry about that. 

On 24/11/2017 at 11:30 PM, RohanBeckett said:

Mindstorms (RIS/NXT/EV3) has been reported MANY times as Lego's Best selling set... due to the amount they sell to schools around the world..

To be fair. They also sell a lot to normal retail. Schools often purchase the education version, but it is the retail version you will find in LEGO's "top 10" sales list.

I remember seeing a post in a FB Lego group of a guy who  works as a part of a LEGO Motorola collaboration on a system of remote controlling. This may be an upgrade to the current PF. I will dig for the post/video now.

UPDATE:

I found it and the person was talking about a  phone replacing the mindstorms control unit.

The pictures below is all he shared: 

https://ibb.co/mygG1b

https://ibb.co/ePUfSG

Maybe this is what we've got coming as the next upgrade and will be extended to 'ordinary' PF control

Edited by TheQuoteMan
New info

I see nothing wrong with the current PF motor lineup, I would LOVE a PF small motor and a smaller battery pack as an addition to the current lineup.

I say SBrick struck gold, BT 4 channels (up to 64!) speed control, simple programming capability, and now with the SBrick+... sensors!

They should just buy SBrick, tweek the software a little and come out with 2 or 3 more we do style sensors.

To keep it easy for the youngsters, in addition to the a smartphone app make a gamepad-like controller to bundle with sets. 

best of both worlds!

20 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

To keep it easy for the youngsters, in addition to the a smartphone app make a gamepad-like controller to bundle with sets. 

It is an older generation that would like to have gamepad-like controllers because we all know dragging your finger over smooth surface gives zero feedback. Kids would prefer fancy touchscreen. Anyway, gamepad-like controller is unlikely for BT based setup, purely due to the way how it works.