Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

I'm not sure how to feel about the newly revealed sets, which leaves me a bit sad. I love HP and got most of the 2010-11 wave, and still think the new Great Hall set is absolutely fantastic. I just don't have that same tingly, totally jazzed feeling that I had when the Great Hall was revealed with the rest of these.

My favourite would be the Whomping Willow. The tree is a bit funky but cool to get anyway, the car is good, and the castle interiors are decent. Snape and Filch make sense for the setting, but I don't think we really needed another Hermione in this set and I'm totally perplexed by "random Griffindor student no.12". Random Ravenclaw student no.x would've been best to round out the houses, but if they weren't willing to do that then why not Crabbe and Goyle? They're quite a presence in the first two films and missing thus far.

I probably find Quidditch unexciting just because I have the other two, so that's my personal bias. Getting stands for all four houses is nice, but the minifigure selection doesn't excite me much, so for me personally it's an easy pass.

The Hogwarts Express is technically good and Lupin is fantastic, but I'll likely just BL him the same way I BL'd Luna from the last Hogwarts Express, and put my money towards Castle/other future structure sets instead.

All in all on the minifigure front, the Great Hall set made me think they were going all in on the figures and giving us most, if not all important/distinct characters from the first two films, but in the end we get tons of Harrys, Rons, and Hermiones and random characters like that Gryffindor boy, the sweets trolley lady, and Quidditch players who are nice but not very memorable or important.

I'm still very pumped for the two Castle sets we've seen and eagerly await that last set of the wave yet to be revealed and the CMF. Just thought I'd share my slight disappointment.

Just now, Evolved Turtle said:

I saw the following leak within a quick google search. Does anyone know what scene/movie these outfits are from?

mqdefault.jpg

The Ron torso is incorrect, but it’s either the scene with the Ford Anglia or when they go to see Aragog (can’t remember which one exactly)

Well Hogwarts Express was a plesent suprise, even more so given the fact it’s from Prisoner of Askaban!:wub:  I guess the worry we wouldn’t be getting a Knight Bus can be put to rest as Lego are clearly doing sets from movies 1, 2 & 3, not just 1 & 2 as we thought.  

I’m loving the Quidditch set and it’s nice to see Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff getting the same love as Gryffindor & Slytherin after all these years.  It has gone 0-100 for   those two houses though, from having nothing to having minifigures, flags, towers:laugh:

I love the extension for Hogwarts that comes with the Willow, it looks incredible. :wub:  Getting Snapes office and the classroom (which I’m assuming is Deffense against the dark arts classroom) is a great edition.  I’m sure that newspaper on Snapes desk is going to be the one with the flying car getting seen by SEVEN muggles.:laugh:  The dorm looks good but I do hope in the large D2C Hogwarts we getting a bigger sleeping quarters, as there is a few scenes in the movie that happen there.  Maybe the common room with stairs leading up to 3/4 beds with the curtains going around them. 

Guys, I’d like a bit of advice, when it eventually comes to it, for a display do you reckon it would be better to have the inside of the model showing or the outside with the figures positioned outside of it?

Honestly? For a prospective second wave, more than anything, I want good minifigures of Moody and Tonks. And an updated re-release of the Burrow. 

Although, now that I think about it, a built-up, Modular-Building-ish version of Number 12 Grimmauld Place would be utterly amazing too. (We got Ninjago City, it could happen.)

Just now, harleydavid98 said:

Guys, I’d like a bit of advice, when it eventually comes to it, for a display do you reckon it would be better to have the inside of the model showing or the outside with the figures positioned outside of it?

Definitely the inside; with the exception of that little balcony bit on the Great Hall, the outside is kind of bland. 

28 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Honestly? For a prospective second wave, more than anything, I want good minifigures of Moody and Tonks. And an updated re-release of the Burrow. 

Although, now that I think about it, a built-up, Modular-Building-ish version of Number 12 Grimmauld Place would be utterly amazing too. (We got Ninjago City, it could happen.)

Literally my only issue with getting Lupin, Tonks, Sirius, Moody and Fred as minifigures are all the feels I’m going to get building all the figs of my favourite characters who died ?

Edited by harleydavid98

3 minutes ago, Evolved Turtle said:

I saw the following leak within a quick google search. Does anyone know what scene/movie these outfits are from?

The blue outfit belongs to Harry, the leaker accidentally gave Ron the same one :wink: It's based on the Aragog scene in COS but set-wise it's included in the Hogwarts Express set (and probably in the Aragog set as well)

1 minute ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Definitely the inside; with the exception of that little balcony bit on the Great Hall, the outside is kind of bland. 

That’s exactly what I thought, when it comes to getting the later sets I plan on having a Battle of Hogwarts set so I’ll probably use the younger minifigs for displays, and then have the battle taking place in the courtyard, should be fairly interesting

Hey, just a thought; does anyone else think that the Firstborne Dragon, over in the Ninjago theme, is a pretty dead ringer for a Hungarian Horntail? I wonder if that's a coincidence?

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

Hey, just a thought; does anyone else think that the Firstborne Dragon, over in the Ninjago theme, is a pretty dead ringer for a Hungarian Horntail? I wonder if that's a coincidence?

Too many legs, but aside from that yes, it does look pretty similar, the last Horntail didn’t actually look that bad to say it was an old set, just imagine what we can get this time with the quality of Lego we have now

Do set piece counts include minifigure pieces (hair, torso, head, legs, accessory)?

To those worried about the lack of some characters (Hooch, crab and goyle etc.) I’d say hold off on the worrying for the moment. We still have a 22 Minifigure series to see, and I fully expect a few of these characters to be in that, as well as the D2C.

but those aside, they’ve only just scratched the surface of these 3 films. There’s so much potential for sets; the troll attack, the Philosophers stone chambers, the chamber of secrets, gringots, dragon alley, the Knight Bus, Hagrid’s Hut, the leaky cauldron. Lego are being very smart about this theme it seems, and focusing the sets on particular scenes rather than sourcing from multiple films. With this model I think they intend to be releasing Harry Potter sets for the duration that the Fantastic Beast films are out there (with 4 more films after this year that’s atleast a 7 year window). So are playing the long game. I think by the time this theme ends, we will have the most comprehensive collection of characters the franchise has ever seen in one place, and the theme will be a licence tentpole for Lego along with Star Wars and Superheroes.

now bring on August 1st so I can buy them all and me and my partner can spend the weekend building them!!

These sets look great, but personally I would have preferred the flying Ford Anglia as a different set the size of the BTTF Delorean and Ghostbusters Ecto-1. Still cool that we're getting it, but a bigger build would have been preferable. 

51 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I love that hairpiece but I feel that it might become overused in this theme, I mean Snape, Sirius, possibly Lucius (that hairpiece he used is so outdated), maybe some others, I’d love new moulds for Sirius’ curly hair and a new long hair mould for Lucius, Snape looks fine, but I don’t want Snape to have the same hair as Sirius who in reality (film wise) has completely different hair

If the Sirius Black wanted poster in the Hogwarts Express set is anything to go off of, Sirius may have a new hair mold

Just now, Ultron said:

If the Sirius Black wanted poster in the Hogwarts Express set is anything to go off of, Sirius may have a new hair mold

I did think that, but I wasn’t sure whether we could rely on prints for looks at Minifigs, but if we can then roll on the new Sirius ?

52 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm not sure how to feel about the newly revealed sets, which leaves me a bit sad. I love HP and got most of the 2010-11 wave, and still think the new Great Hall set is absolutely fantastic. I just don't have that same tingly, totally jazzed feeling that I had when the Great Hall was revealed with the rest of these.

My favourite would be the Whomping Willow. The tree is a bit funky but cool to get anyway, the car is good, and the castle interiors are decent. Snape and Filch make sense for the setting, but I don't think we really needed another Hermione in this set and I'm totally perplexed by "random Griffindor student no.12". Random Ravenclaw student no.x would've been best to round out the houses, but if they weren't willing to do that then why not Crabbe and Goyle? They're quite a presence in the first two films and missing thus far.

I probably find Quidditch unexciting just because I have the other two, so that's my personal bias. Getting stands for all four houses is nice, but the minifigure selection doesn't excite me much, so for me personally it's an easy pass.

The Hogwarts Express is technically good and Lupin is fantastic, but I'll likely just BL him the same way I BL'd Luna from the last Hogwarts Express, and put my money towards Castle/other future structure sets instead.

All in all on the minifigure front, the Great Hall set made me think they were going all in on the figures and giving us most, if not all important/distinct characters from the first two films, but in the end we get tons of Harrys, Rons, and Hermiones and random characters like that Gryffindor boy, the sweets trolley lady, and Quidditch players who are nice but not very memorable or important.

I'm still very pumped for the two Castle sets we've seen and eagerly await that last set of the wave yet to be revealed and the CMF. Just thought I'd share my slight disappointment.

I mean, the Trolley Witch is kind of iconic to the Hogwarts Express. Who would be better to include than her? There's nowhere else she could even appear. Perfect opportunity. And I believe the Gryffindor boy is meant to be Seamus Finnigan hence him blowing up the cauldron. 

2 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I did think that, but I wasn’t sure whether we could rely on prints for looks at Minifigs, but if we can then roll on the new Sirius ?

It seems they've probably already got future sets planned, looking at the hollow stump of the willow and connecting joints on Hogwarts. Sirius might even already be in the CMF 

Edited by Ultron

56 minutes ago, harleydavid98 said:

I love that hairpiece but I feel that it might become overused in this theme, I mean Snape, Sirius, possibly Lucius (that hairpiece he used is so outdated), maybe some others, I’d love new moulds for Sirius’ curly hair and a new long hair mould for Lucius, Snape looks fine, but I don’t want Snape to have the same hair as Sirius who in reality (film wise) has completely different hair

Lucius might use Dumbledore's new hairpiece in light yellow

About Moody, I'm guessing the Beetlejuice hairpiece. 

Edited by Robert8

10 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

These sets look great, but personally I would have preferred the flying Ford Anglia as a different set the size of the BTTF Delorean and Ghostbusters Ecto-1. Still cool that we're getting it, but a bigger build would have been preferable. 

It could serve to be slightly longer to make way for a bigger backseat, but I don't think it's as long as those other two cars mentioned

Just now, Robert8 said:

That’d suit Lucius very well, but I think that if Moody uses an oldish mould I think it will use the Elderly Luke hair piece

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

I think Lucius should use the Thorin hair in blonde. It drapes over the shoulders perfectly, imo. The new Dumbledore hair would do the trick too.

47 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I can't see Lego brick building the Horntail. 

5 minutes ago, Ultron said:

It could serve to be slightly longer to make way for a bigger backseat, but I don't think it's as long as those other two cars mentioned

It's not, but I meant a similarly big build like them rather than the same length.

4 minutes ago, Ultron said:

I think Lucius should use the Thorin hair in blonde. It drapes over the shoulders perfectly, imo. The new Dumbledore hair would do the trick too.

I can't see Lego brick building the Horntail. 

That's my point. If they progress to Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix next year, then having Firstborne already available and serving as a Horntail would basically give them a free excuse to skip over that scene in favour of other stuff. Like, just maybe, Grimmauld Place!

Also, yay, 500th post!

I'm a Knight now!

There's no hat on the Dumbledore hair so it appears to have been made for Lucius as much as anyone.

30 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

To those worried about the lack of some characters (Hooch, crab and goyle etc.) I’d say hold off on the worrying for the moment. We still have a 22 Minifigure series to see, and I fully expect a few of these characters to be in that, as well as the D2C.

Lego are being very smart about this theme it seems, and focusing the sets on particular scenes rather than sourcing from multiple films.

I totally get where you're coming from and I too am excited to see all of the characters that the CMF will give us! However on your second point that I've quoted here, while it's true they're recreating scenes, most sets thus far are still a mashing together of different scenes from different films - the train is a bit of 1 and a bit of 3 really, the Great Hall is mostly 1 with the Basilisk from 2, the Whomping Willow is mostly 2 with the exploding cauldron scene from 1.

11 minutes ago, Ultron said:

I mean, the Trolley Witch is kind of iconic to the Hogwarts Express. Who would be better to include than her? There's nowhere else she could even appear. Perfect opportunity. And I believe the Gryffindor boy is meant to be Seamus Finnigan hence him blowing up the cauldron. 

It is nice of them to include the Trolley Witch and she does make perfect sense. I was just saying that they seem to have prioritized some very minor (albeit appropriate) figures. Quidditch should have included Hootch in my opinion. And while I get that it is Seamus, he doesn't even have a soot/covered face to really recreate the scene, so he's a bit lackluster compared to some of the other characters.

^ also Filch in willow set is not based on his film 1 2 design, but the later one.

I worry the CMF is infested with FB characters still.

21 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

It is nice of them to include the Trolley Witch and she does make perfect sense. I was just saying that they seem to have prioritized some very minor (albeit appropriate) figures. Quidditch should have included Hootch in my opinion. And while I get that it is Seamus, he doesn't even have a soot/covered face to really recreate the scene, so he's a bit lackluster compared to some of the other characters.

Though even if Quidditch did include Hooch, would it have been enough? You already said it was too redundant for you to pick it up. She is integral so I think she should've been there, but perhaps budget comes into play. She really needs a new hairpiece and maybe even a printed cape so perhaps a CMF would be better for her. Lee Jordan should be there as well, but looks like he'd need new hair as well. CMF seems like a good outlet for getting around new mold limitations. 

And I 100% agree on Seamus, they at least should've made it a random Ravenclaw if they can't replicate Seamus as he deserves to be. All well, not like I ever liked his stuck up, traitorous character anyway