Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

ALL: In regard to the recent update of EGS Licensing limit rules, after much deliberation the court has revised the revision to the following:

License limits

1. There are no restrictions on how many builds a player may submit each month.

2. Each month, a maximum of four properties built by any individual player may be licensed in the EGS, regardless of the licensing entity*.

3. These four builds may be licensed at any location, however only three properties from the same player may be licensed in any single location per month.

4. The fourth build licensed by a player in a month must be part of a collaboration (either build or story-wise) with another player / other players.

5. Micro build ‘prizes’ awarded by leadership and builds towards Royal Collaborations do not count towards individual licence totals or location quotas.

* 'Entity' includes individual player accounts, settlements and trade companies.

Of note players can now licence up to four builds a month, although one must be a story or build collaboration with another player/s. This is done to encourage collaborative storylines and builds. The other significant change is that mirco-build prizes no longer count towards licence totals or location quotas.

If there are any questions to this update, please ask here and we'll clarify.

Update can also be found here:

2 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

4. The fourth build licensed by a player in a month must be part of a collaboration (either build or story-wise) with another player / other players.

So, are both players who work on the collaborative build able to license it, or only 1?

Just now, Mesabi said:

So, are both players who work on the collaborative build able to license it, or only 1?

I guess it depends on if it is a build collaboration or a story collaboration... :classic:

For example. If you and I have a story collaboration going where one of my characters builds something in Mesabi Landing, then one of your characters responds by building something else, then yes, both builds can be licensed, one by me and one by you. Note this option would need to show a significant collaboration story-wise between us, something that we had clearly planned and worked on together. 

However,

If you and I are collaborating to build a large factory, and I build part of the required footprint, then you build the second half of the footprint, then only one player or entity would be able to license both builds as a single property.

Clear as mud?

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Clear as mud?

It sure is. :pir-grin:

I would appreciate a clear definition of what "collaboration" means in this case. So far the term is quite vague. Does it mean:

1. One or more builds by player A with text from player B?
  2. Builds and story for different properties from both players A and B?
  3. Builds and story for one property (e.g. a shared build) from both players A and B?
  4. At what point does the collaboration become a "significant collaboration story-wise"?
  5. Is there a need for "balance" between the players, or could A provide 95% and B the other 5%?
  6. Is there a limit to the number of players for any one collaboration?

5 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I would appreciate a clear definition of what "collaboration" means in this case. So far the term is quite vague.

I believe it has been left fairly vague on purpose. The intent is to encourage collaboration between players, so I would think that if you can show that some effort when into coordinating between players, then you'll be fine. I'll go into more detail of how this came about below which will hopefully help. If in doubt, you could always check before hand.

One or more builds by player A with text from player B?

If player A builds and player B provides text - either could license the build (of course a single build may only be licensed once, so either by player A or B, but not both). In the case of it being a fourth licensed build, then yes as two or more people were involved in it's production, I do not see why this could not be called a collaboration.

Builds and story for different properties from both players A and B?

Do you mean that player A and player B both produce different builds and stories, however they share a common storyline (see significant point below)? If so, then yes this would count for both players as a fourth licensable build.

At what point does the collaboration become a "significant collaboration story-wise"?

So in the spirit of transparency, the requirement for the collaboration component in the fourth licensable build was a compromise between those of us in court who supported allowing a fourth licensable build, and the others who wanted it limited to three. To make the licensing of a fourth build acceptable to the majority, the inclusion of the 'collaboration' clause was made - the intent was to encourage story telling and collaboration between players over building exclusively for the EGS. Again in the interest of transparency (you said you'd like more - I see no reason not to give it a try) I personally feel (and I have a suspicion that we will both agree on this point) that this clause is always going to be subjective and thus I am not sure how it will work out. So we would ask that players try to stick to the spirit of the intent here. Joint writing of the story, perhaps a small vignette from player B, there are many ways you could demonstrate collaboration.

6 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Is there a need for "balance" between the players, or could A provide 95% and B the other 5%?

Good question - I would personally say no - again as long as you were sticking to the intent of the ruling (see above) - I really don't see any way this could be made quantitative.

I see no issue with Player A writing an IC request for the construction of a building, then Player B building that construction and writing the associated blurb. For example: Governor Allcock calls for the construction of a cannon foundry in the Paradise Isles. An open letter is written in the Corrington thread calling for interested parties and outlining conditions. You build a factory producing cannon and write the story to go with the build. This would be acceptable as your fourth licensable build.

6 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Is there a limit to the number of players for any one collaboration?

Oh finally an easy one! :pir-laugh: No, no limit on player numbers for any one collaboration - you can have as many as you like.

Thank you for the detailed response, that solved any questiones I had so far. :thumbup:

I might have new ones another day.. :pir-grin:

I was looking at the property index, and it said that government buildings like town halls and such weren't classed an Arts & Culture. So what would a town hall be classed as then?

11 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

I was looking at the property index, and it said that government buildings like town halls and such weren't classed an Arts & Culture. So what would a town hall be classed as then?

It is the other way around: government buildings that do not belong to another category - for example town halls - are instead classified as art and culture.

Just now, Drunknok said:

It is the other way around: government buildings that do not belong to another category - for example town halls - are instead classified as art and culture.

Lol, Oh... *oh2* :facepalm:. Thanks for the clarification!  

Soooo, guys - I was wondering if we are going to Skærbæk fan weekend this year? If so, I might be interested in joining, and I think it would be cool to have a dedicated BoBS setup, and even more so if it could tell some of the major events of the history of BoBS. :pir-blush:

@Maxim I?

52 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Soooo, guys - I was wondering if we are going to Skærbæk fan weekend this year? If so, I might be interested in joining, and I think it would be cool to have a dedicated BoBS setup, and even more so if it could tell some of the major events of the history of BoBS. :pir-blush:

@Maxim I?

Nope *huh* I am on a honeymoon this year, so I have to skip all Lego events that take place abroad.

Next year I'll be back!! I am also hoping to do Paredes Fan Weekend in 2019 and hopefully an event in Sweden as well for 2019 :)

The Results of The MTF are announced. Can someone please edit the topic with "Winners announced"? Baby please...

Edited by Sir Stig

I was looking at the stats of Fortresses, but I was surprised by the enormous range they are given.

Let me demonstrate:

42679832322_48f92c488b.jpg

Those are small, medium and large fortress ranges.

Even with a small fortress I could control the majority of the island (not taking into account a mountain range) 
I don't know what the ranges are based on, the distance a army could travel based in a fortress or the range of the guns?

If ranges are based on gun range, well then some update on those numbers might b650e necesary to bring them a bit more inline with what we consider historical accurate here in BOBS.

-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36-pounder_long_gun gives the range for a 36 pound gun at 3700 meters maximum, and 650 meters effective. (2.3 miles and 0.4 miles)

Edited by Bart

Bart, I think the range is the on land range the forts garrison can help defend an Island.

We will probably look into this as we develop/finish land combat rules.

Congratz Bregir being a Grand Duke/hitting the 5k posts! :)

Edited by Maxim I

2 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Congratz Bregir being a Grand Duke/hitting the 5k posts! :)

Thank you, sir - never noticed myself! :pir-laugh:

PS: Isn't it wonderful being rewarded for endless discussion? :pir_tong2:

Since the beginning of the game, certain islands have received bonuses for different property types and commodities. These bonuses have been automatically applied to properties, but no one was told when they discovered a bonus. That will now change. Whenever a bonus is activated (by having the right property type and commodity), it will be announced at the end of the month. 

Note that this does not change any rules nor does it require you to change your behavior or licensing. You can ignore this if you'd like, or you can use the information to try and discover additional island bonuses or to exploit known bonuses. 

Discovering island bonuses is part luck and part skill. Island descriptions (see the indexes for New Island Information in the master index) may give you clues as to what bonuses (positive or negative) exist, but these are not guaranteed to be completely accurate. Bonuses and islands are not created equal, and you very well may find some islands having a plethora of bonuses while others have nothing. 

Again, I would like to emphazie that no rules are being changed and nothing new is being added. All we're doing is making this information public so that builders can better exploit these bonuses. 

Without further ado, here are all previously discovered bonuses: 

Builder Faction Commodity Property Island Bonus (Extra DBs/Month)
            Small Medium Large Royal
Phred Oleon Grape or wine Commerce Medium Île de Zeus 3 6 9 12
Ayrlego Corrington Tropical fruit Plantation Small Alicentia 4 8 12 16
Legostone Eslandola Timber or woodworking Plantation Small Cocovia 2 4 6 8
Phred Oleon Grape or wine Plantation Small Île de Zeus 3 6 9 12
Ayrlego Corrington Crab Commerce Medium Garma's Key 3 6 9 12
Legostone Eslandola Citrus Plantation Medium Isla de Victoria 3 6 9 12
ETTC Corrington Vanilla Plantation Medium Celestia 3 6 9 12
Mesabi Landing Corrington Agricultural science Plantation Small Argentia 3 6 9 12
Drunknok Corrington Agricultural science Plantation Small Argentia 3 6 9 12
Drunknok Corrington Agricultural science Plantation Small Argentia 3 6 9 12
Ayrlego Corrington Crab Commerce Small Garma's Key 3 6 9 12
LM71Blackbird Corrington Cocoa Plantation Large Cocovia 2 4 6 8
Mesabi Landing Corrington Agricultural science Plantation Small Argentia 3 6 9 12

15 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

Whenever a bonus is activated (by having the right property type and commodity), it will be announced at the end of the month.

Good. :thumbup:

Personally I think that while the "quest for the sweetest fruit" on Argentia had its moments, it also felt frustrating at times. Getting to know an existing bonus in a reasonable time is good news.

I've a question about armies.
A platoon is 10 men. I assumed included a Lieutenant
next step is a Company = 3 platoons = 30 men. Is that including a major to lead them?

then you get a battalion: 90 men. but you need to add an Colonel, signal men, staff, etc. are those included in the 90? or are they free to moc extras? 

The number of men are just for game mechanics purposes. You can moc the composition as you like.(And if I remember correctly, you only have to moc a representation of the troops, not the whole unit.)

Lastly, a company commander would be a captain, not a major... ;)

5 minutes ago, Bregir said:

The number of men are just for game mechanics purposes. You can moc the composition as you like.(And if I remember correctly, you only have to moc a representation of the troops, not the whole unit.)

Lastly, a company commander would be a captain, not a major... ;)

Ah okay, I could go full out with marching bands and all :P 

BTW as far as I could find there was no requirement to build a moc to license troops.. (and there was no "post link here" in the form :innocent2:)
(There is very little rules to find about troops anyway)

I know it could/should be a captain , but there are already so many captains in this game :O ship master captain and the navy rank captain, I thought it more distinguishing to call him/her a major. 

But if we go sort of historical accurate the battalion commander should be a lieutenant-colonel :P (unless it is a 1 battalion regiment,, but now we are getting offtopic)

There is a build requirement to license troops. If it is not explicitly mentioned in the rules, that is an error that we better correct :)

As to general rules for land combat, this is something we are working on in court so you may see something soon(tm). :)

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

There is a build requirement to license troops. If it is not explicitly mentioned in the rules, that is an error that we better correct :)

As to general rules for land combat, this is something we are working on in court so you may see something soon(tm). :)

I'll be building a something then :) 

Hey y'all!  Anybody else coming/at BW this year?  I think Phred, Capt Wolf, and MKJ (saw your ship there today, mate - that thing is pretty big!) were planning on being there, right?  Kai and I'll be there with the Innovalug team, though unfortunately neither of us have got any BoBS stuff on display :pir-cry_sad: :pir-grin:  I'm the guy running around with the coat and the gold sash (and maybe an eyepatch too, we'll see :grin: :laugh:).  Would love to get to meet/hang out with any BoBSers who'll be there!