Sven J

MOC: 1:33 Hohenzollern 0-6-0T v2.0 - UPDATE with new features

EDIT: Model's latest revision HERE!

Dear train community,

a while ago, I presented my model of a small industrial shunting engine (for information about the prototype, and to compare the pictures below with version 1.0, please see here).
However, although it proved to be a strong and reliable little locomotive, I was never entirely happy with it: The roof turned out to be very flimsy, and the battery box and IR receiver were completely blocking the view through the cab.
So when BuWizz was announced, and I realized that its height would be considerably lower than that of 84599, and it would need no additional receiver, I thought I should give it a try and rebuild my MOC (even though this meant that I had to get a smartphone… :sceptic:).

The revised model has been completed for a couple of weeks now, but it wasn’t until last week that a BuWizz app version was released which allowed to control two output channels via one slider, so I couldn’t let the engine run until then…
(By the way: One more thing that I would really wish for would be an option to „lock“ the slider in a given position, so that you don’t have to keep your finger on the phone all the time when the engine is running. Maybe someone from BuWizz will read this… :wink:)

Following alterations have been implemented:
-   BuWizz replacing the rechargeable battery box
-   boiler diameter increased by one plate for better scale accuracy and a brawnier appearance
-   slightly larger, smoother side tanks
-   revised colour scheme without black striping (thus adding to the stouter look)
-   additional small windows in the cab front
-   completely redesigned cab roof with more prototypical profile and no longer needing transparent plates to support the door openings
-   handrails below the buffer beams for the shunting men
-   strings as sand pipes
-   improved shape of the cylinders
-   smaller headlights
-   (at least rudimentary) cab interior thanks to the reduced height of BuWizz

But unfortunately, still no opening doors – sorry, Sergio! :wink:  (I promise my next model will have them. And it will be a BIG model. REALLY big!)

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

400x600.jpg

400x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

600x400.jpg

600x400.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x533.jpg

With BuWizz set to „slow“ mode, gentle and precise shunting becomes possible; something one couldn’t even dream about while using Lego’s IR remote control system.

As always, you will find larger versions of the images in my Bricksafe folder.

Comments are of course most welcome.

Thanks for stopping by!

Best regards,
Sven

EDIT: Model's latest revision HERE!

Edited by Tenderlok
changed video link

beautiful work, beautiful details, thanks for sharing the ldd file, I'll try to learn something, one of these in 6wide or 7wide will soon be a project of mine :)

Hi Sven

I'm delighted by your cure of prototypical shape, now your small (relatively) shunter is even more wonderful.

Is the BuWizz really so better than LEGO original? I mean, not only for the size.

I'm happy to hear your next model will have opening doors, (I'm also found of "gestallt" but details are important too)

best wishes for the BIG model (the bulgarian?)

Sergio and Eros

Still wonderful shunter, thanks for sharing!

I've tried the Buwizz built into one of TLCs cargo Trains to haul 18 brick built tanker cars, in other words a quite heavy load. The battery held up for 2-3 hours of constant running in medium mode, using 2 PF Train engines. The downside was my thumb getting numb after holding the button on my smart phone for hours on end. However, this was compensated greatly by being able to fool kids with too long fingers as they couldn't spot where I was standing with the controller.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much for your kind feedback! :classic:

On 7.6.2017 at 0:47 PM, monai said:

Is the BuWizz really so better than LEGO original? I mean, not only for the size.

It depends on your preferences. For my needs, BuWizz is just about ideal. I’m planning to convert all my locomotives to it.

Pros:
-        Precise speed control makes BuWizz ideal for shunting.
-       Small size allows more details and a more rigid frame design.
-        BuWizz has pin holes, so it can be used as a stressed structural part, e.g. for preventing the rear end of locomotive frames from bending.
-        No separate receiver is needed. This is not only welcome as it saves space; I had to experience that the LEGO IR receiver’s sides are not exactly vertical, so it tends to stress and warp attached sections of the model.
-        Bluetooth connection instead of LEGO’s infrared technology allows to completely hide BuWizz inside the model.
-        Works in direct sunlight – IR receiver does not.
-        Considerably more power than LEGO rechargeable battery box, if needed (in „fast“ mode).

Cons:
-        Not quite cheap. On the other hand, LEGO rechargeable battery box + IR receiver (only V2, as V1 is too weak for my models) are rather pricey, too.
-        Finger must remain on phone display to keep the train running, which can be quite annoying. As I wrote, I hope this will be fixed with one of the next app versions.
-        Initial firmware update is a nerve-racking disaster an effective method of training inner serenity and ease of mind…

On 7.6.2017 at 0:47 PM, monai said:

best wishes for the BIG model (the bulgarian?)

Sergio and Eros

Bulgarian – yes. But not the engine I suppose you are thinking of… :wink:

On 8.6.2017 at 0:32 PM, baard said:

The downside was my thumb getting numb after holding the button on my smart phone for hours on end. However, this was compensated greatly by being able to fool kids with too long fingers as they couldn't spot where I was standing with the controller.

:laugh:

On 09/06/2017 at 9:32 PM, Tenderlok said:

Bulgarian – yes. But not the engine I suppose you are thinking of… :wink::laugh:

mmh intriguing, since it's not the br46 could it be the br45, you love tenderlokomotiven, not the largest but the second one, 6 axes...

I cannot wait to see it..

14 hours ago, monai said:

[...] could it be the br45, you love tenderlokomotiven, not the largest but the second one, 6 axes...

I’m afraid not…
It will be a narrow gauge locomotive this time, in 1:22.5 scale: the Bulgarian „Mountain Queen“ 2-10-2T class 600.76.
The designing work for this 3200-parts-model is finished, and I have already built the cylinders, the leading and trailing trucks and the main frame (57 studs long!); at the moment, I am gathering parts for the rest of the engine. I think it will take at least two or three months more until completion.

As for the class 46, it is still on my list. But the wheel size question aside, there are serious difficulties to overcome.

Edited by Tenderlok

wunderschoen! in 22.5 garten bahn!

I'm sure you know it but for the others, they can see it in action:

https://www.tesnolineikata.com/steam-engines

as regard the br46 you are right considering your scales, but in L-gauge it should be possible, but not on standard curves. Have you considered the 3d printed wheels recently proposed on this forum too?

Edited by monai

12 hours ago, monai said:

I'm sure you know it but for the others, they can see it in action:

https://www.tesnolineikata.com/steam-engines

The old FSO Warszawa 223 in the video is almost as beautiful as the locomotive… :wub:

With regard to the 46, I fear it leads a bit far off topic in this thread. I hope you don’t mind if I’ll take the liberty of writing you a PM via the Eurobricks messenger service.

Edited by Tenderlok

This topic went unnoticed to my radar ..until now! :laugh:

Wonderful upgrade with the new BuWizz and beautiful video! :wub:

It's useless to say that this new compact system has allowed to improve the detail of a MOC already in the Olympus of the locmotives!

Your fine works are light years ahead of all! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, you’re flattering me! :blush:
Thank you very, very much for your kind words! But don’t put your own light under a bushel, your trains are so amazing in design, imagination, diversity and number!

Dear all,

My little industrial shunter has been updated again:
Recently I noticed that the spare side rods that I bought for my Kitson-Meyer would also fit on the Hohenzollern engine. So I designed matching main rods as well and equipped the 0-6-0T with these 3D-printed parts.
Besides the new rods, I made minor improvements like revised sun visor hoods for the cab windows, the addition of an engine crew and some invisible changes for greater stability of the chassis. The BuWizz 1.0 was replaced with a 2.0, as I needed the greater voltage output…Why? See below! :wink:

First of all, a few pictures of the updated model:

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x533.jpg

Full-resolution images can be found here.

And now for the most striking new feature: The engine has got into the habit of smoking... :laugh:
With the BuWizz 2.0 allowing for up to 11 V, I was able to install a Seuthe no. 99 smoke generator. Here’s what it looks like in action:

Hope you like it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Best regards,
Sven

58 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

The engine has got into the habit of smoking... :laugh:

At first, whilst stationary, the smoke looked a bit thin against the pale background - but then it started pootling around the track, leaving out neat little puffs smoke behind it... :wub_drool: She's absolutely stunning.

Thank you, @ColletArrow!

The smoke is rather difficult to film, especially, as you said, with light-coloured carpets and furniture in the background. In reality, you can actually see it much better.
Of course, there are also larger generators which produce more smoke, but they don't fit into the engine's small chimney...

That is absolutely awesome! Of course, 11w gives so much more room for details than 6 or even 8w, but you used the extra space to the extreme. Well done!

Really outstanding, this "puff-puff" is icing on the cake, now you have to paint some background panel for a real setting.:wub_drool:

gruss

Sergio

Hi there, Sven! I saw this beauty yesterday on Flickr, since I was uploading some things too! Even if it is a rework, it is another opportunity to appreciate your beautiful way to build these locomotives!!! :thumbup::wub:

I always look at the photos from time to time and I find a new detail!!! :sweet:

Many thanks to all of you for your compliments! I'm glad to hear that you like that little machine!

5 hours ago, monai said:

now you have to paint some background panel for a real setting.

Sergio, you don't really want to see anything that was painted by ME... The school subject I hated most as a child and teenager was always "art"... :wink:

3 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Even if it is a rework

That's one of the great advantages of our hobby - when you have a new and better idea for an existing model, just rebuild it... Try that with a "real" model train! :laugh:

5 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

That's one of the great advantages of our hobby - when you have a new and better idea for an existing model, just rebuild it... Try that with a "real" model train! :laugh:

We've a great example in Italy with the FS E444 - the rebuilding was worse than the original :thumbdown: - it seems also someone in Italian railways had a bad feeling with design :laugh_hard::laugh_hard::laugh_hard:

Don't worry - even if you can't paint or design...you surely can BUILD!!! :wub:

6 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Don't worry - even if you can't paint or design...you surely can BUILD!!!

You're really too kind, Davide!

7 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

it seems also someone in Italian railways had a bad feeling with design

And I thought that Italian design was world-famous for its elegance and beauty... okay, maybe apart from the Fiat Multipla... :laugh: