Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

10 hours ago, Lion King said:

I don’t think raven mold would show up in regular City set. But crows can show up in farm setting. 

I think ramen could be used for CMF to accompany figures, such as Odin or enchantress or grave digger. 

Odin with ramen noodles would be great LOL.  But yeah that would be cool to see the Raven used in several settings.  

Pics of the gorilla and red panda parts are out!

They all look pretty great. Of course it would be nicer if LEGO could develop a system to give larger animals more articulation, but it's good that the adult gorilla's arms can move at least, and the overall walking pose is more dynamic than a sitting one would have been.

The red panda is adorable.

4 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

New Friends style animals - donkey (baby?) and leopard - in two new Encanto sets.

I assume it is a jaguar to be picky even if he said leopard in the video :wink: Is it a recolored tiger or a new mould? Pony and now donkey in minidolls, maybe we get them in minifigform as well down the line then:sweet:

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Pics of the gorilla and red panda parts are out!

They all look pretty great. Of course it would be nicer if LEGO could develop a system to give larger animals more articulation, but it's good that the adult gorilla's arms can move at least, and the overall walking pose is more dynamic than a sitting one would have been.

The red panda is adorable.

They look great, hopefully we will see some set pictures soon as well..
I fear the price of the adult on PAB are going to be high if we must buy the arms loose, after seeing the orca jaw price :wacko:

The gorillas look even better in those new pictures! :wub: With all the animal pieces that exist now, they could finally do a zoo subtheme for City! Wonder why they still haven’t properly tackled that, it’d be a gold mine! Ethical concerns maybe?

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I assume it is a jaguar to be picky even if he said leopard in the video :wink: Is it a recolored tiger or a new mould? Pony and now donkey in minidolls, maybe we get them in minifigform as well down the line then:sweet:

They look great, hopefully we will see some set pictures soon as well..
I fear the price of the adult on PAB are going to be high if we must buy the arms loose, after seeing the orca jaw price :wacko:

You are of course correct. The print could probably pass for a leopard, but the set it's from definitely suggests jaguar. Oops. Clearly wasn't thinking.

The gorillas come in a $100 set, but I can well imagine it being nearly as expensive to buy the set as a couple of gorillas on PAB if it's three separate pieces. :sad:

Some other pictures of the new colour crocogator also show a new colour for the baby crocogator! I think it's a sand green? But a little hard to tell. Could be included with the adult the $20 set (or a different set entirely)!

1 hour ago, SketchBrick said:

Some other pictures of the new colour crocogator also show a new colour for the baby crocogator! I think it's a sand green? But a little hard to tell. Could be included with the adult the $20 set (or a different set entirely)!

Previous set descriptions said they came in the same set. 

20 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Odin with ramen noodles would be great LOL.  But yeah that would be cool to see the Raven used in several settings.  

LOL, oops!! I must have been thinking about Japanese food lately…. Agreed, i just don’t know if Raven will show up in any City sets other than farm, it’s more likely for Halloweeen-themed sets, Disney, Harry Potter, Castle theme.

Norse god of knowledge having a ramen for dinner sounds cool, Honeslty, lol

3 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

New color for crocodile and its baby? Oh boy, I need to collect them! Gorilla and its infant! Red panda! Raven! Stegosaurus! Robot dog! Space penguin! 

…I’m just excited about new colors and molds for all animals from groups (fantasy, sci-fi, realistic, prehistory).

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Previous set descriptions said they came in the same set. 

Okay cool, thanks for the clarification :)

After a discussion in the LOTR thread @upliftingbricks pointed me to this video:

Basically it explains that moulds are normally destroyed after 5 years without being in production. I would explain all the trouble we got with the goat, but has me worried for a lot of the animal mould going out of production as well. If the designers are not vigilant and include a specific animal within 5 years of its last set we could end up with a lot more "goat cases" in the future:pir-murder:

Hmmmm interesting… and are the foal and falcon molds the “old” molds too I might misremember but I think foal was introduced in Paradisa or Berylville themes in 90s but i could not remember about falcon…

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

After a discussion in the LOTR thread @upliftingbricks pointed me to this video:

Basically it explains that moulds are normally destroyed after 5 years without being in production. I would explain all the trouble we got with the goat, but has me worried for a lot of the animal mould going out of production as well. If the designers are not vigilant and include a specific animal within 5 years of its last set we could end up with a lot more "goat cases" in the future:pir-murder:

As mentioned in that thread it seems more likely to me that animal moulds won´t get reitred that easily, since they are more likely to get used again at a later time. For instance the chimpanzee we got in the Jane Godall Tribute GWP was last used ten years ago in a CMF and it seems very unlikely they would have made a new mould just for that GWP.

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Hmmmm interesting… and are the foal and falcon molds the “old” molds too I might misremember but I think foal was introduced in Paradisa or Berylville themes in 90s but i could not remember about falcon…

Both are new ones and as far as I know the the foal mould we have now is the only foal Lego made in Minifig Size.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Both are new ones 

Yes and no. Yes, new molds and no, just i feel like they modified the mold  slightly after years.  I recall seeing some people’s comments about how slightly they updated the molds somewhere. 

Anyways…. I think it’s not just goat but cow from late 2000s/early 2010s too. The cow made its comeback in 2022. Bot goat and cow look the same as before. 

3 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

the the foal mould we have now is the only foal Lego made in Minifig Size. 

There's one from Paradisa: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30032&in=S

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Yes and no. Yes, new molds and no, just i feel like they modified the mold  slightly after years.

Both the falcon and the new foal are completely different from the ones that existed in the 90s.

9 hours ago, Lion King said:

As mention the original foal came in 2 Paradisa sets, the old "falcon" was just a gray parrot so that is completely new in my book and the foal got a updated mould..

7 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

As mentioned in that thread it seems more likely to me that animal moulds won´t get reitred that easily, since they are more likely to get used again at a later time. For instance the chimpanzee we got in the Jane Godall Tribute GWP was last used ten years ago in a CMF and it seems very unlikely they would have made a new mould just for that GWP.

I hope you are right, and you make a valid point with that GWP since i think that chimp was last used over 5 years before the GWP. Or was it in BAM after that? However the goat was not saved so do not feel so safe :sceptic:

6 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think it’s not just goat but cow from late 2000s/early 2010s too. The cow made its comeback in 2022. Bot goat and cow look the same as before. 

The goat is slightly different on the "inside" so they remade the mould, but made some slight adjustment and apparently that means it was it cost just as much as a new one :def_shrug:

The cow on the other hand did never go 5 years out of production, my guess the designers included it in 60052: Cargo Train to keep it in production and that set went of marked in 2018 so when 60346: Barn & Farm Animals showed up in 2022 that was only 4 years later:sweet:

Posted (edited)

@Roebuck, acknowledged. I did say “new mold”, although I could not remember well as my eyesight got worse as of right now. I thought foal and falcon molds were updated slightly based on AFOLs’ comments somewhere  here and on articles. Ah well…move along, everyone…

Edited by Lion King

On 4/12/2024 at 3:15 PM, Roebuck said:

I suspect that since LEGO now knows how marketable animals are (hence the new ones in CMFs and City sets each year), they will be less likely to let animal moulds go out of production. A farm subtheme in City (even a small ~3 set one) every 4-5 years would be enough to keep basic farm animals around (cow/calf, horse/foal, sheep/lamb, pig/piglet, goat, chicken). 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I suspect that since LEGO now knows how marketable animals are (hence the new ones in CMFs and City sets each year), they will be less likely to let animal moulds go out of production. A farm subtheme in City (even a small ~3 set one) every 4-5 years would be enough to keep basic farm animals around (cow/calf, horse/foal, sheep/lamb, pig/piglet, goat, chicken). 

I hope you are right and that Lego will give us sets like this in the future to keep the farm animals around at least;
60346_alt1.png

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I hope you are right and that Lego will give us sets like this in the future to keep the farm animals around at least;

But ideally 6-9+ sets and not 4+ where the price for what you get seems extremely over-inflated. And the box art is doing a lot of the heavy lifting to make that set look good.

There are many 4+ sets that I like and think work really well, but this was not one of them at all.

Agreed, i like 4+ sets too. Both animal AND printed pieces in these. 4+ sets.  Pretty much it’s a big win. 

As for farm aniamls, I feel that they could show up in Disney, City, Castle, Pirates, and polybag sets in future. We haven’t seen piglets that much, do we? I know lambs show up in Add-On VIP polybag last year or so.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:38 AM, Lion King said:

Yes and no. Yes, new molds and no, just i feel like they modified the mold  slightly after years.  I recall seeing some people’s comments about how slightly they updated the molds somewhere. 

Both moulds obviously look like horses but aside from that, they do look quite different to me, so I don´t think they updated it but made a new one from the scratch.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:13 AM, iragm said:

There's one from Paradisa: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30032&in=S

Both the falcon and the new foal are completely different from the ones that existed in the 90s.

Thank you, I checked on bricklink, but since that ones is called Pony there, I didn´t found it.

18 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

But ideally 6-9+ sets and not 4+ where the price for what you get seems extremely over-inflated.

Yes would be more interesting with farm sets with a higher age than 4+, but beggars can't be choosers and if we only get a 4+ set to keep the animals I will take it:tongue: I think it sold really well so hopefully if Lego understood it was because of the animals :wink:

14 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Both moulds obviously look like horses but aside from that, they do look quite different to me, so I don´t think they updated it but made a new one from the scratch.

Thank you, I checked on bricklink, but since that ones is called Pony there, I didn´t found it.

There is some language problem, I think foal is called pony in USA which is really confusing. (not sure what they call a pony then or maybe they do not have them since everything must be big over there :tongue:)

I actually bought some Lego at a flea-marked this weekend and in one of the bags I noticed a Paradisa foal when I got home :wub:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

There is some language problem, I think foal is called pony in USA which is really confusing. (not sure what they call a pony then or maybe they do not have them since everything must be big over there :tongue:)

American here - sister is a horse girl so I spent most of my adolescence riding as well as a result. 

The term foal is still used for newborn horses here. And those of us with basic knowledge will still use the term pony only for adult horses under a certain size (which is actually 14 and a half hands officially, which might be bigger than some people realize). 

That said, there are still plenty of people out there who don’t know enough not to use the two interchangeably (terms like turtle and tortoise suffer similar fates), and the problem is compounded by the fact that older lego animals can be a bit more ambiguous than modern ones. I forget which site it was, but I found the old shepherd dog (which I have two of from the 2004 Harry Potter sets) referred to as a wolf. Mix ups can happen.  

5 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

American here - sister is a horse girl so I spent most of my adolescence riding as well as a result. 

The term foal is still used for newborn horses here. And those of us with basic knowledge will still use the term pony only for adult horses under a certain size (which is actually 14 and a half hands officially, which might be bigger than some people realize). 

That said, there are still plenty of people out there who don’t know enough not to use the two interchangeably (terms like turtle and tortoise suffer similar fates), and the problem is compounded by the fact that older lego animals can be a bit more ambiguous than modern ones. I forget which site it was, but I found the old shepherd dog (which I have two of from the 2004 Harry Potter sets) referred to as a wolf. Mix ups can happen.  

Spot on.