David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

4 minutes ago, Lion King said:

anyways, I apologize for off topic since this is a pirate thread! 

Actually were illustrating the point of why LEGO has been grouping older obsolete themes under established longstanding themes like Ninjago or City.

The point being I'm vaguely aware of Ninjago and City set releases, while completely oblivious to Hidden Side - it's been almost 3 years and I've only just learned it existed.

Hidden Side I liked even though I didn't get all the sets.  Ninjago doesn't do anything at all for me.  I don't like Mechs and I don't like ninjas.  They do have some interesting non-mech sets though, but I've no use for the Ninja minifigs.  Give me Classic Pirates & Classic Castle along with a dose of Classic Space any day over Ninjago.  I don't think I've ever bought more than a handful of Ninjago just fo the parts and an interesting build or two.  Never got into Nexo Knights or Chima as they were a bit too out there for my liking.  Found Nexo very robotic & Chima too heavy on the animal head figs along with over the top prints.

1 hour ago, karrit said:

Hidden Side I liked even though I didn't get all the sets.  Ninjago doesn't do anything at all for me.  I don't like Mechs and I don't like ninjas.  They do have some interesting non-mech sets though, but I've no use for the Ninja minifigs.  Give me Classic Pirates & Classic Castle along with a dose of Classic Space any day over Ninjago.  I don't think I've ever bought more than a handful of Ninjago just fo the parts and an interesting build or two.  Never got into Nexo Knights or Chima as they were a bit too out there for my liking.  Found Nexo very robotic & Chima too heavy on the animal head figs along with over the top prints.

What about classic Ninja theme? It was released in 90s.  No mechs ,no wacky vehicles. 

52 minutes ago, Lion King said:

What about classic Ninja theme? It was released in 90s.  No mechs ,no wacky vehicles. 

Nope, don't care for ninjas in any form, any Ninjago sets I've bought have only been for interesting parts or the main build but not the minifigs or weapons.  Late 80's, early 90's was some Space, Castle & Pirate stuff until a semi-dark age settled in.  Got back into it when they released the first Star Wars sets at the end of the 90's.  Picked up a handful of various small sets in a few other themes then re-entered the dark ages until the mid 2010's except for some small sets, mostly city, on sale and the occasional polybag.  So missed the resurgence of Pirates and other classic stuff and sadly passed on the Ewok Village and opted instead for some of the Winter Village sets.  Now it's Harry Potter, some Friends, some City other than Police & Fire, usually the Modular and Winter Village and whatever else I find appealing but definitely Pirate & Castle and the occasional Ideas set.  I did get some of the Explorer stuff in the late 90's and a bunch of old random accessory parts packs if I found them in the Lego Store while visiting Disneyworld.  I did get most of the Vidiyo stuff on clearance mainly for some of the parts.  Loved the Elves theme but wasn't able to get everything I wanted before it ended.  

1 hour ago, karrit said:

Nope, don't care for ninjas in any form, any Ninjago sets I've bought have only been for interesting parts or the main build but not the minifigs or weapons.  Late 80's, early 90's was some Space, Castle & Pirate stuff until a semi-dark age settled in.  Got back into it when they released the first Star Wars sets at the end of the 90's.  Picked up a handful of various small sets in a few other themes then re-entered the dark ages until the mid 2010's except for some small sets, mostly city, on sale and the occasional polybag.  So missed the resurgence of Pirates and other classic stuff and sadly passed on the Ewok Village and opted instead for some of the Winter Village sets.  Now it's Harry Potter, some Friends, some City other than Police & Fire, usually the Modular and Winter Village and whatever else I find appealing but definitely Pirate & Castle and the occasional Ideas set.  I did get some of the Explorer stuff in the late 90's and a bunch of old random accessory parts packs if I found them in the Lego Store while visiting Disneyworld.  I did get most of the Vidiyo stuff on clearance mainly for some of the parts.  Loved the Elves theme but wasn't able to get everything I wanted before it ended.  

Ah okay, I do wish Lego wold do a classic Ninja set - I am VERY fond of Japanese culture and archiecture myself. Ninjago? Eh, nothing screams for me. . All I see is a bunch of mechs and wacky vehicles and high-tech weapons.

Generally, I lov in-house themes, such as City, DreamZzz, Hidden Side. I only like very few licensed themes - Disney (minifigure, not minidoll ones), Jurassic World (I only care for dinosaurus), and Harry Potter.  I never owned Pirates sets in my life so I missed out on Barrcuda Bay - not realizing it was already retired a few years ago. Also,  Eldorado doesn’t appeal to me because it’s too faithful, as i mentioned it a few times here. 

I do wish they would do a full theme for pirates, castle, space, ninja and Viking themes. Oh well… I want a molded pirate ship!

I am curious to know which sets you guys would like to see in a new Lego Pirates wave. Let's say there are 8 sets in the price range from 10€/$ to 150€/$. And it would also be interesting to see if you prefer more historically accurate or more fanatsy themed sets. Any ideas for wave of pirate sets?!

Rumors are circling around about the release of 40710 "LEGOLAND Pirate Splash Battle" GWP in January. As the name suggests, it's most probably gonna be based off the eponymous LEGOLAND ride in Billund. Given that, I'd assume it's about to be a LEGO House exclusive, but we totally need to wait for more info on the matter 🤔

48 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

Rumors are circling around about the release of 40710 "LEGOLAND Pirate Splash Battle" GWP in January.

Sounds like yet another pirate-themed set that would fit in with your LEGO City amusements, rather than with your LEGO Pirates.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Sounds like yet another pirate-themed set that would fit in with your LEGO City amusements, rather than with your LEGO Pirates.

Totally, I'm rather hoping for some useful theme-related parts in there :shrug_confused:

3 hours ago, F1stzz said:

Rumors are circling around about the release of 40710 "LEGOLAND Pirate Splash Battle" GWP in January. As the name suggests, it's most probably gonna be based off the eponymous LEGOLAND ride in Billund. Given that, I'd assume it's about to be a LEGO House exclusive, but we totally need to wait for more info on the matter 🤔

Splash Battle? Definitely an amusement park set…

Anyways, it looks like. 2024 is going to. Be the Year of the Space becuase there is a bunch of space-themed sets, along wiht “space” CMF Series coming in. This gives me a small hope that we would see some pirate sets, something not too faithful. 

Like the playground set or the wagon from the 100 years of Dinsey train and any other set like these, a pirate splash battle will be basically useless. Maybe 1 or 2 nice parts but that's it.

20 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Like the playground set or the wagon from the 100 years of Dinsey train and any other set like these, a pirate splash battle will be basically useless. Maybe 1 or 2 nice parts but that's it.

I want to think otherwise but I know you’re 100% right. Ships wheel, a treasure chest, a few barrels and probably the exact same sail from the Disney set.

Now please spend 200 for the privilege of have these 6 parts added to your collection.

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am curious to know which sets you guys would like to see in a new Lego Pirates wave. Let's say there are 8 sets in the price range from 10€/$ to 150€/$. And it would also be interesting to see if you prefer more historically accurate or more fanatsy themed sets. Any ideas for wave of pirate sets?!

Well I guess first of all we would need two big ships, one for the imperials and one for the pirates. We got Eldorado Fortress so we would need some kind of Hideout probably a little island so the Pirates don´t need to stay on water all the time ;).

The two Ships would obviously be the top of the price list and the outpost wouldn´t be in the range 80-100€ I think, so only lower price Sets are left for the rest. I think there should be some little 10-15€ Sets. Little fun Sets with things like a row boat, a cannon, treasure chests etc and two minifigures, maybe a skeleton. And for the mid-price Sets there could be a Bar on the beach with a little dock, where the Pirates can drink some rum ;). 

14 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Anyways, it looks like. 2024 is going to. Be the Year of the Space becuase there is a bunch of space-themed sets, along wiht “space” CMF Series coming in. This gives me a small hope that we would see some pirate sets, something not too faithful. 

Well there are some space Sets, but they are all in different themes. City, Friends. CMF (that is actually the one I am most curious about). And then we got the rumours about the Lego Moments. So if the first infos are true, this could indeed be a new theme picking up on old Lego Themes and Sets - but sadly looks more like two sets a year or something (one in April, the other one on the spot of Lion Castle, Eldorado Fortress and the Classic Space Ship). However if that wents well they might still increase it in the future.

Yes I don't care about any of these Pirate themed sets that aren't actually Pirates. I have the Pirate Ship Playground set and haven't even opened it, I'll probably sell it down the road.

All I know is I would do ungodly things to see PoTC revived or a Black Pearl remake :pir-love: or an actual new lineup of Pirates sets. Imagine an Inn set or a brickbuilt Kraken, or a treasure island set... So many possibilities but unfortunately I also think we'll only be seeing more remakes aimed at adult collectors for a while.

Historically accurate (though we know TLG don’t do that) over fantasy any day for me. PoTC sets would be nice too though highly unlikely in my opinion. So wait and see what will be the next domino to fall. I am yet to purchase 10320 but I am surprised at the little coverage it gets on social media in the end. Then again doesn’t mean AFOLs aren’t there to make it a commercial success.

6 hours ago, Arjo said:

Historically accurate (though we know TLG don’t do that) over fantasy any day for me. PoTC sets would be nice too though highly unlikely in my opinion. So wait and see what will be the next domino to fall. I am yet to purchase 10320 but I am surprised at the little coverage it gets on social media in the end. Then again doesn’t mean AFOLs aren’t there to make it a commercial success.

I just don’t see somethign wrong with a mix of historical and fantasty for Pirate or Castle. 

Edited by Lion King

7 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

Imagine an Inn set

I could imagine LEGO doing a pirate pub set. :pir-devil:

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

I could imagine LEGO doing a pirate pub set. :pir-devil:

This will have my vote. 

@King, nothing wrong in mixing, was just answering the question of personal preference. Right now, I wish for two things: ability to get more bluecoats from pab, some set(s) with redcoats next.

I also would prefer historically accurate pirates over fantasy pirates. I am fine with PotC and i think it is as historically accurate as is possible for Lego :pir_laugh2: Generally i think most people would prefer a imperial flagship, some pirate tavern, an islander's island, a battlepack with a canon and imperials & pirates. Some civilians. Things like that. Nothing fancy, just solid sets.

While the rumored unlicensed space theme and CMF of next year maybe not have my interest at this point they can give us hints about how Lego treats the subject in regards to its connections to classic space or the other space themes.

6 hours ago, Arjo said:

@King, nothing wrong in mixing, was just answering the question of personal preference. Right now, I wish for two things: ability to get more bluecoats from pab, some set(s) with redcoats next.

Ah i see what you are saing now. Yeah, I do wish for redcoats. 

6 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

While the rumored unlicensed space theme and CMF of next year maybe not have my interest at this point they can give us hints about how Lego treats the subject in regards to its connections to classic space or the other space themes.

I don’t think it will be called “theme” if there are much few space-themed sets (Lego Moments: Icons, normal aset and GWP)? Of course City will have its own space-themed subtheme but otuside City, I don’t think it’s enough to be refereed as a “theme”.

I would be interested if there would few pirates sets and a pirate-themed CMF in future. I just don’t care what people think, such as saying “this will be a waste” . I will be up for a cool themed CMF like Monsters or Costume Series (18 and 23). 

Edited by Lion King

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

I don’t think it will be called “theme” if there are much few space-themed sets (Lego Moments: Icons, normal aset and GWP)? Of course City will have its own space-themed subtheme but otuside City, I don’t think it’s enough to be refereed as a “theme”.

Well it would be kinda Strange if they make a new Theme (Lego Moments) and put new Space Sets out which wouldn´t fit in there. So they for sure will be in one theme - but if it is not Space, and there is no other new theme they would need to go into Icons. I guess we will have to wait for some more informations for these sets.

Yeah, we'll see how this space thing turns out and how much "classic" will be involved. However, if they would make one nostalgia fueled theme, they could make more (pirates) :pir_laugh2:

On 8/11/2023 at 4:29 AM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am curious to know which sets you guys would like to see in a new Lego Pirates wave. Let's say there are 8 sets in the price range from 10€/$ to 150€/$. 

Lineup (I switched the $10 slot to a second $20 set, since LEGO generally does not release non-gimmick sets at that price point outside of City and the occasional Marvel set):

$150: Pirate Ship / Large pirate vessel and flagship (in all senses of the word) of the wave; dark brown hull, red and black trim, black-and-white striped sails. Minifigs: Pirate Captain, First Mate, Cook, two generic pirates, two Redcoat soldiers (one in a rowboat), large shark, monkey. 
$120: Imperial Ship / Slightly smaller than the Pirate Ship, but still larger than any other Imperial ship (aside from the Imperial Flagship); reddish brown hull, black, white, red, and gold trim, red-and-white sails. Minifigs: Redcoat Captain, Redcoat Officer, three Redcoat sailors, pirate (in the ship's brig). 
$100: Imperial Fort / Not as rockwork-focused as the Eldorado Fortress remake, but roughly the same footprint; shape is a square with loading dock jutting out to one side, contains a prison with breakout feature, a small crane, and a cannon emplacement. Minifigs: Redcoat Governor, Redcoat Officer, two Redcoat soldiers, two pirates (one in a rowboat). 
$80: Pirate Hideout / An overgrown island keep built around a cavern entrance from whatever the pirates have on-hand, including shipwreck parts and an old Islanders statue; bridges connect different parts of the hideout, and a sculpted skull sits above the mouth of the cave. Minifigs: First Mate, three pirates, one Redcoat sailor (in the prison), Skeleton, normal shark, monkey. 
$60: Battle for Loot Island / Intended as an entry-point for the theme, as well as the core of the story; this would be a sandy island with a booby-trapped treasure cove and two rowboats. Minifigs: Pirate Captain, Pirate, Redcoat Officer, Redcoat soldier, Skeleton, normal shark. 
$30: Shipwreck Standoff / A relatively small shipwreck with a piece of hull and a small mast with tattered sail, as well as a bit of land; also includes a cannon and some breakaway sections. Minifigs: Two Pirates, Redcoat soldier (with another cannon), Skeleton. 
$20: Pirate Raft / Basically a direct remake of the Castaway's Raft. Minifigs: Two pirates, normal shark. 
$20: Sea Shanty / A small, cobbled-together shack (like the Smuggler's Shanty). Minifigs: Two pirates, monkey. 

Note: This is a wishlist/response to a prompt only

Edited by Classic_Spaceman