Aleh

[WIP] International Lonestar Truck, 5000+ parts

Hello.

Introduction.

Let me introduce you my MOC.
My dream is to build some great american truck in unimog tire scale.

First think was  to choose the concrete model. After searching I chose facelift International Lonestar truck.
 0003lonestar_chi.jpg

As I like many of us, builders, have a lack of free time, so when start building I know how the process will go on.

Functions.

I start with the gearbox. Designing own one is not my cup of tee so I took Charbel's 8th speed one. I make it 16th speed by adding simple second gearbox with upper/lower torgue.
After that I add a modified also Charbel's (many thanks to him) shifter and remake it for a Servo motor. So you can shift all 8 speeds RC just in "up/low" mode. Second gearbox is driven by M-motor.

Brakes:

Truck already has pneumatic drum brakes in all 6 wheels. Building this I was inspired by Sheepo's Kenworth. Brums in hubs already done, but how it will work I do not know for now...

Engine:

Truck is driven by 4 XL motors, under the future bonnet the inline six-cylinder  engine cituated, Connected to driven motors.

Steering by M motor. Torgue lowered 6 times (1:3) + (1:2) reduction. Connected to the future steering wheel.
Compressed air is mading by an L motor with two pumps.

Dimensions:
31 stud wide, 99 studs long. at around 37 studs high. It will consist of ~5000 parts. 10 Unimog wheels.

FInish time: Late 2017.

And finally photo. As you can see big percent of chasis is complete.
579dd8529481542.jpg 710616529481547.jpg 4b1d3e529481554.jpg 55d1f6529481556.jpg e432b2529481563.jpg 00d8d9529481565.jpg 3bb770529481571.jpg 8223d3529481576.jpg 8189f6529481581.jpg a6ecb7529481585.jpg 

Edited by Aleh

Okay that is something! You really took an amazing shaped truck and I'm really looking forward to see what you'll come up with... :thumbup:

The chassis is going strong, but that is not what makes this truck stand-out. Obviously it is the shape of the hood and bumper. Looking at the bumper makes me wonder if this you already designed this or did you just install a quick build? Right now it doesn't look close to what is should be IMHO... :wink:

12 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Wow. This is a massive truck you are building. I will watch your progress with great interest.

Thanks! I'll try to do all possible!

2 hours ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

Okay that is something! You really took an amazing shaped truck and I'm really looking forward to see what you'll come up with... :thumbup:

The chassis is going strong, but that is not what makes this truck stand-out. Obviously it is the shape of the hood and bumper. Looking at the bumper makes me wonder if this you already designed this or did you just install a quick build? Right now it doesn't look close to what is should be IMHO... :wink:

Hey! Nice to hear from you! Actually I spent an hour or two to build this bumper :look:
But I personally dislike it if to be honest and your words make me to rebuild it! 
It does not satisfied even me, the author :laugh:
But no other decision came to my mind yet...

Great looking truck in real life! I was kind of shocked Navistar actually built them, seemed more of a concept than a truck. I get to see one about once a week around here. I look forward to your progress! ( Last 2 trucks my Dad owned were Navistar's or International's as they are called, but he passed before these came out. His were 9400 and 9900ix.) The bumper seems off but keep working at it!!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Indeed....very nice start.  Incredibly large project.  You may even well exceed 5000 pieces.  Chassis looks strong, but consider weight of what may easily exceed 5000, even if 6000 pieces

4 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hey! Nice to hear from you! Actually I spent an hour or two to build this bumper :look:
But I personally dislike it if to be honest and your words make me to rebuild it! 
It does not satisfied even me, the author :laugh:
But no other decision came to my mind yet...

You're most welcome and especially since this is an extraordinary truck I like to see the progress. Also cause it's on my to do list too... ;-)

O sorry, I didn't realize you spend two hours... :blush: ...but I'm glad you're not happy with it either... :classic: Looking at the image of the real truck you included I see a wedged and curved front bumper. Hard to capture in Technic I think, would look great if you managed to do so anyways... :thumbup:

I will stay tuned for sure...I'm very excited about this build!!! 

Some minor update:

Totally rebuild front bumper. Better than it was but not perfect yet.
Make some drivetrain and cover it with panels, add beta fueltank and the ladder..
b34a7f529902968.jpg 14a3c2529902973.jpg 926ad3529902978.jpg 91e36a529902980.jpg 

14 minutes ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

The bumper sure has more curved and wedged shapes then v1...so keep on going! :-) I'm still very excited about you picking this really nice shaped truck...!

Thanks, Ingmar! Very appreciate!

Hello everyone!
Sщme minor updates!
Today I got a parcel with some parts, so made some changes in the truck.
16 speed gearbox was tested succesfully!
Wheel brakes are complete in the hubs. Still looking for decision how to connect them to the pump.
e5e2d8531637455.jpg e6bcbd531637466.jpg 249068531637473.jpg d4b927531637483.jpg 6ae9be531637491.jpg 

Edited by Aleh

2 hours ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

It is massive! Really love those pipes...!

Thanks! But important note!
Making this truck in some places I'm inspired of Sheepo's Great Peterbuild. The idea of pipes exhaust and drum brakes was taking from there. But all I have is the youtube video only. I do not used any other people instructions except Charbel's gearbox in this truck.
Thanks!

That is cool, we are all inspired by someone else... :classic: It's a good thing to be inspired and a good thing to share who you're inspired by :thumbup: Really looking forward to the progress on your build! :wub:

This looks massive.

It's cool to see my gearbox in the MOC. I just made a better version that can handle high torque, which might be useful for your project

Good luck ..!

This is one awesome project! Really looking forward to seeing more.

I'm not too sure about the rear axle, though - are you sure the geometry is correct? The way the towball arms and the shock absorbers are mounted is going to severely restrict movement.

CharbelI will see your new gearbox for sure later, thanks!
suffocationyou are almost right! Both rear axles are too low if compare with the front one. But despite the movement is enought for such truck I'm planning to rebuild some rare parts. High suspencion range is no needed here.
Thanks everybody for your interest to this truck! Very appreciate!
This motivates to continue building is nothiong else!