Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

Mesoamerican Pyramid

Very impressive!  Among many other parts of it, I particularly like how the pyramid is framed by the trees, it really looks great!

On 11.1.2017 at 10:27 PM, MassEditor said:

Thanks kabel! I remember you saying you got to travel some in Mexico/Central America. I've only seen a few, smaller sites in Cozumel. Let me know next time you're in the area, we'll meet up and finally have those cervezas fria!

(...)

Thanks Ecc, that means a lot coming from one of my all time favorite builders. And I absolutely agree with you on the building techniques. There is such an 'arms race' among LEGO builders to introduce new techniques and continually go over the top in detail. When, like you said, that's completely unnecessary. I've definitely adopted a style of building that many would label fairly simple while focusing more on composition and color. That hurts my brain less than trying to figure out some of those more advanced styles (like building trees from axes - I'll never understand it!:laugh:).

yeah man, those servecas in Mexico hombre, I like 'em! Thing is, airfare for 4 people is just ever so expensive ...

Wow, really interesting to see where this other discussion is headed. I was under the impression that I was the only one thinkig that this "DC-style-building" was heading over the top these days and that I quit going that direction altogether. And just like you I started going more for realistic colors and shapes and will continue to do so in the future. Definetely more satisfying for me to take mocing down that road!

This is a great MOC! I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when Pharaoh's Quest wasn't followed by another Jungle-inspired adventure like the Adventurers one in 1999, even though I knew that wasn't terribly likely. This MOC feels a lot more authentic to what I think of when I imagine Mesoamerican architecture than anything from the Adventurers theme ever was. The landscape is also delightfully detailed with all of its amazing foliage and its clean blue water. I appreciate the parrots to add a bit more life to the treetops, and it would be awesome to see some monkeys too! The sand green bricks you used on the pyramid itself do a great job adding visual interest on the more repetitive parts of the pyramid.

I'm not sure how well King Kahuka and his Islanders fit here, though, since I always thought they were more based on Pacific island cultures (I haven't ever looked very deep into this, though, so perhaps some aspects of their design might have been Caribbean or Mesoamerican inspired). It's also a bit tricky to understand when this model is meant to be set chronologically. If set prior to the colonial era when the people who created this temple were still thriving, I might've expected the space around it to be a little bit less overgrown and perhaps a little more populated with indigenous people.

Great job overall!

The Aztecs (or Maya or Olmecs) would be proud ME! The beauty definitely lies in this build's simplicity.

This is an awesome build! It is the kinf of theme i like to see and it si perfectly made! The pyramid is just amazing but the surrounding jungle is highly reallistic too! Congrats for this amazing build!

I guess I just commented on flickR, let me tell you how amazing moc it is once again Patrick :)

:wub: :wub:

This could easily be a scene for the Adventurers. :thumbup:

Your pyramid looks really good and the surrounding area is stunning. :wub:

Great build! i feel like non European cultures don't always get enough love. I think this might belong in the pirates forum though, usually anything along that goes along with the new world ends up there

Simple yet wonderful. I just love it :wub: And though I have to say the pyramid is very cool, it can only be so cool because of it's gorgeous suroundings. These trees man, just :drool: 

Also very intresting to read what the "big" builders have to say about difficult techniques en styles