Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - Jan FB1] Terraced Rice Fields, Mooreton Bay

Some time ago, a small boatload of people from the far west of Halos landed in Mooreton Bay wishing to start a new life. The mayor at the time, Major Dirk Allcock, being a typical Corlander and open to people of all cultures, of course accepted them into the colony. They petitioned the mayor for some land in which to grow the staple cereal of their distant homeland, rice. Major Allcock was quite surprised when they requested land in the highlands inland of the colony. Although terraced systems were not unheard off, indeed Stormhaven had a sugar plantation utilising a similar system, it was still quite unorthodox. Nevertheless, Major Allcock approved, and even provided convict labour to clear the land and build the barriers for the terraces. Although he has since left the settlement, work has continued under the new Mayor, and the fields are now being planted for the first time.

32087288935_1669d4f3d3_c.jpg

In this scene, the top tier has been flooded and planted. The middle has been flooded and is in the process of being planted; and the bottom is being ploughed by an oxen driven plough.

Hi all! A small plantation for Mooreton Bay. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!

Well done! A very convincing rice field! The middle section with the clear tiles is nicely done, and I especially like how you've done the irregular barriers between the terraces. The figure carrying the two buckets on the rod is also nicely done. And that plow looks vaguely familiar. :pir-grin:

A nice job of adding some cultural variety to Mooreton Bay! :thumbup:

Neat build, Ayrlego, I really like the colors and figs here, and great way to use an underrepresented aspect in BoBS! :pir-wink:  Those trans-clear tiles look excellent as well, I really need to get some of those! :thumbup: :grin:

Great work and once again very appropriate for the city. The density of the grass and the irregularly curved wall are perfect.

Very nice (once again)!! Depicting various aspects of agricultural life during this age is really nice. But :pir-oh: is that a tan cow?!?!?!?...tan cow...tan cow...tan cow... :pir_wacko: (departs mumbling...)

Awesome build, this is a great rice field! I absolutely love the low walls with the stern pieces in between them. The water/trans-clear tiles really add to the atmosphere, and the ox is just awesome! :wub: 

Great looking agricultural build, Ayrlego! I like the inclusion of a different culture of agriculture, and your depiction is really nice. I love the minifigs and their implements, including the stick with buckets, the baby, the HATS, and the plow. The plants and the walls are great too.

My only wonder is, wouldn't it be smarter to flood it from the bottom up? Seems like it would be hard to avoid the lower levels flooding when the upper ones are. :pir-blush:

Thanks all for the comments!

On 1/5/2017 at 6:59 AM, Capt Wolf said:

And that plow looks vaguely familiar. :pir-grin:

Ahh, I knew I'd seen the axe head used as a plough somewhere, but couldn't find it again for reference/credit.... Probably because I was looking on flickr... :pir-blush: Sorry!

On 1/6/2017 at 5:48 AM, blackdeathgr said:

. But :pir-oh: is that a tan cow?!?!?!?...tan cow...tan cow...tan cow... :pir_wacko: (departs mumbling...)

It's from BrickForge, they do them in several colours :pir-classic: I think the bulkiness of their cows suits a plough driving beast well!

On 1/9/2017 at 0:36 AM, Bregir said:

My only wonder is, wouldn't it be smarter to flood it from the bottom up? Seems like it would be hard to avoid the lower levels flooding when the upper ones are. :pir-blush:

Hmmm, I actually hadn't thought of this, I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that they would use gravity to channel the water down from a higher dam, but now you've mentioned it I'm not sure that's right....

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Ahh, I knew I'd seen the axe head used as a plough somewhere, but couldn't find it again for reference/credit.... Probably because I was looking on flickr... :pir-blush: Sorry!

No, don't apologize! I'm sure I stole it from somewhere else. :pir-grin: Just glad it worked for you!

9 hours ago, Ayrlego said:
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, blackdeathgr said:

But :pir-oh: is that a tan cow?!?!?!?...tan cow...tan cow...tan cow... :pir_wacko: (departs mumbling...)

It's from BrickForge, they do them in several colours :pir-classic: I think the bulkiness of their cows suits a plough driving beast well!

I will second this. I have a couple of tan cows from Brickforge as well. I love 'em! They make great oxen.

Anything I could add that hasn't been said yet or drooled over? No? Then let me continue drooling over this beautiful creation... might help your workers irrigate those fields :drool: :grin:

Great job :classic: :thumbup:

... just... leave that frog alone, you workers, please :laugh: