SweetiePie88

I can't believe people stealing figures from sets is still a thing

I saw some misc Lego sets in shopping carts at Walmart, likely stuff that was recently returned from xmas. There was a Star Wars Advent Calendar set that was taped back with something other than official Lego box tape. Too suspicious to buy. There was a Nexo Knights King's Mech. Didn't feel safe enough to get a price scan for that.

Most of the stores near me have changed in the last 5 years so now the Lego is positioned directly in the view of the cameras and is open to main walking passages, rather than being hidden down aisles where people can't see.

Back in the dark days it wasn't uncommon to see open sets or boxes beaten up so someone could probably claim them on discount.

another thing to look out for is sets where the security device is distorting the box, not only does this hurt resell if you wish to do that it also very commonly splits the box open. meaning anyone can walk up, reach in, rip some bags open, and take what they want without bringing a single tool. most stores wont even look at a box with a security device on it, they just assume the device is stopping thieves because the box is still in the store.

Also if there is a set you want and the ones on the shelves look... violated, ask if there is any stock in back. most employees wont even question the request and will get you a un shelved set (if they have one) you can also sometimes request to have a new shipping box opened in front of you (annoys the workers I'm sure, but if they agree then I guess they can't complain right?) this ensures that the set is in its best form and any flaw within the set is from the factory if any exists at all.

lastly stay away from clearance aisle sets, most of these have been opened and returned and are not complete. the only time I buy these sets is if the price is really good and I plan to use it as a parts pack, and not build the model  (price should 50% of original price or less)

On 1/19/2017 at 10:23 PM, Japanbuilder said:

This is crushing to hear. 

I am planning on visiting the States this summer and was for sure going to hop by a store to pick up some sets on the cheap but now I am not sure. How widespread is this problem?

The only thefts I have seen in person are the CMF ones and the DK books ones. Those are pretty easy to spot fortunately, and I have never had issue with any of my purchases since I am on the look out. I have never checked stuff like the seals or the tape either, and I have never had a problem with those sets when I got home to build them. All the contents were in the bag. Only time I even checked the seals was due to the Wall-E recall last year, which had nothing to do with preventing theft.

On 1/26/2017 at 3:49 PM, GallardoLU said:

<snip>

lastly stay away from clearance aisle sets, most of these have been opened and returned and are not complete. the only time I buy these sets is if the price is really good and I plan to use it as a parts pack, and not build the model  (price should 50% of original price or less)

Here's my experience clearance hunting the last 2 years:

Walmart: You can score great deals on clearance items (I got a 21118 Minecraft the Mine for $35 last year), but you need to be a cautious shopper. Check seals and seams. I wouldn't go as far as claiming "don't buy clearance" because you miss out on gems (Picked up a General Grievous Wheel bike from a clearance aisle long after it was gone, in a mint box). Just be very much on your toes. And when in doubt, go to customer service and ask if you can open the set and validate its contents after you buy (or if the seals are broken, even before you buy - I did an inspection of a damaged box Popstar Tour Bus a while ago in front of a WM employee. Me with a set review open on my phone's browser, the lady pulling the contents out and checking with me).

Target: I have not found theft/scams to be an issue in general at Target. I still check seals, but everything typically looks really nice in all of the 5-6 Targets around me (Mid-west USA). The times that I found damaged boxes I got additional discounts from customer service.

Meijer: (For those who missed it, Meijer (a mid-west US Walmart/Target competitor) is running a 50% off all clearance prices (10-50% off already) until tomorrow Jan 28) - Never seen a tampered box. Even the clearance stock is pretty much mint, minus the occasional spider imprint. Love the 2x 21127 Minecraft Fortresses I picked up yesterday and today for $39 each (68% off) :)

One thing I did not see in the thread so far is that some minifigs are quite expensive in e.g. Bricklink. This may give less honest people ideas.

On the one hand, some people want to get things they collect, no matter the means.

On the other hand some people also see business opportunities when there are willing buyers out there. In our world collectors of seldom minifigs (e.g. Star Wars) or minifigs to be collected in large numbers, e.g. for armies.

Unfortunately it is impossible to see if bricks have been purchased in an honest way or not which leads the way for dishonest people. I have no idea how such problems can be avoided.

For the second time, saw the remains of a stolen CMF16 minifigure pack at Target. It was cut open in the back. Would they sell the black 3x4 base plate for cheap?

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Phil B said:

Here's my experience clearance hunting the last 2 years:

Walmart: You can score great deals on clearance items (I got a 21118 Minecraft the Mine for $35 last year), but you need to be a cautious shopper. Check seals and seams. I wouldn't go as far as claiming "don't buy clearance" because you miss out on gems (Picked up a General Grievous Wheel bike from a clearance aisle long after it was gone, in a mint box). Just be very much on your toes. And when in doubt, go to customer service and ask if you can open the set and validate its contents after you buy (or if the seals are broken, even before you buy - I did an inspection of a damaged box Popstar Tour Bus a while ago in front of a WM employee. Me with a set review open on my phone's browser, the lady pulling the contents out and checking with me).

Target: I have not found theft/scams to be an issue in general at Target. I still check seals, but everything typically looks really nice in all of the 5-6 Targets around me (Mid-west USA). The times that I found damaged boxes I got additional discounts from customer service.

Meijer: (For those who missed it, Meijer (a mid-west US Walmart/Target competitor) is running a 50% off all clearance prices (10-50% off already) until tomorrow Jan 28) - Never seen a tampered box. Even the clearance stock is pretty much mint, minus the occasional spider imprint. Love the 2x 21127 Minecraft Fortresses I picked up yesterday and today for $39 each (68% off) :)

I actually agree with you here, so I guess I need to clarify my meaning. some stores near me have a dedicated "Clearance" aisle. this contains random things, often damaged goods or returned goods, that can't be priced back to it's "new" price. this is the aisle I was referring to avoid. I often see heavily damaged sets here (clearly opened at least once before) so I stay away from these. clearance items still in the normal Lego aisle I follow Phil's guidelines above.

4 hours ago, GallardoLU said:

I often see heavily damaged sets here (clearly opened at least once before) so I stay away from these.

I've purchased Lego sets at great prices in these conditions, I found an open box of some starwars figure set and a bag was missing but it was parts not figures, got the whole thing for $2, normally $12.99.  So I wouldn't say stay away, but be mindful of what you are purchasing.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:43 AM, SweetiePie88 said:

Got a lego Minecraft Treehouse for Christmas. I spent part of the last 3 days doing stuff in my room in order to make the room to have the treehouse set up.  Discovered that the box was tampered with. Discovered that the first bag was opened at a few smaller things assembled and all the figures except one swiped. Did one call to lego and was given the option of either returning the set to Walmart or doing an exchange via the lego company. Was going to do the first one but the receipt is AWOL. Called back and got a different person and was actually able to do a replacement of the figures option. :D

On 12/31/2016 at 8:14 AM, Only Sinner said:

Aw, that sucks. If it was from Walmart, we all know what quality kind of people go to Walmart, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. I had a set from Walmart once, and was about to build it with my little girl, but someone had resealed the box after they stole bag 1- the entire bag! Fortunately the nice lady at CS went through the parts list and replaced everything that was in that bag, even though it was Walmart's problem and not TLG's. I received the package about a month later and everything was there except Shaak Ti's cape and Saesee Tiin's head, but at least we could start building the dang set. :sceptic:

The amazing thing about Lego is that if you do get into a situation like this they will send you the parts. I have dealt with them in the past on different circumstances and their customer service is amazing. Many if not most manufactures put it back on the retailer when there is a problem right after purchase. Lego could easily say that its not their fault that someone stole items from the box and to take it back to where you bought it from and they would be right to do so. I deal with a lot of tech companies on a regular basis like HP and Dell and they constantly pass the buck on everything. TLG is a one of a kind company in this regard and they hold a very high standard when it comes to their brand. Anyway, yeah... you have to be very careful when buying Lego from Walmart. Always inspect the box.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:36 PM, Sven F said:

I always thought American store return policies were too lenient and opened more possibilities for fraud than customer protection. People will always steal,  especially if you make it easy for them.  Some imbecile took a scalpel and cut through all the collectible minifigure bags just to see what's inside in one of the stores here. 

Yes, you are so right. Sometimes I don't really understand what the American businessmen think in their mind. While they are offering friendly return or refund policies in hope of pleasing some customers, they are at the same time putting many other customers at risk. I understand that majority of people won't do this nasty trick but even if 1 out of 100 customers does this (in fact I believe there's more than that), their business reputation is then ruined. Yes, the real customer can still return the problematic product to them but he will be also impressed negatively. A friendly, easy

return / refund policy always does more harm than good, especially for valuable products like Lego.

Some may still like to keep arguing with me and say that "this won't often happen" , "this doesn't happen" ... Some may even argue that it's the customer rights or even human rights to return if they are not satisfied. I can only say it's just a mind of selfishness.

If an easy return or refund is something inborn, why we cannot refund services? OK you finish dining at a restaurant, you are full and then you tell the captain you are not satisfied you don't pay the bill and walk out of the shop?  you gonna have massage with happy ending and you tell the lady you are not satisfied and you don't pay and you just walk away? 

Many personal products are not returnable as well, not to mention services.

It's really up to the seller if they allow their customers to return or refund, but 

they should at least investigate the returned products carefully before putting

on the shelf again, not just doing things with a simple mind - Oh it looks okay, 

then it's okay.

5 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

Yes, the real customer can still return the problematic product to them but he will be also impressed negatively. A friendly, easy return / refund policy always does more harm than good, especially for valuable products like Lego.

Why would someone be negative if they returned a product with missing parts to a store for an exchange or refund? They had a problem with an item, the store sorted it. 

If it always did more harm than good, then there would be an economic reason to stop allowing returns. Consumer law here does not insist on allowing customer returns (unless defective) but nearly all stores will allow returns. It must be beneficial for the stores otherwise they would not do it.

Edited by MAB
Typo

27 minutes ago, MAB said:

Why would someone be negative if they returned a product with missing parts to a store for an exchange or refund? They had a problem with an item, the store sorted it. 

If it always did more harm than good, then there would be an economic reason to stop allowing returns. Consumer law here does not insist on allowing customer returns (unless defective) but nearly all stores will allow returns. It must be beneficial for the stores otherwise they would not do it.

My reasons are always clear, direct and convincing, which I will not repeat here again and again. On the contrary you are just always speaking your own words, saying something otherwise in hope of confusing people. The reason behind is just so simple -- you are one of those who are doing this thing as the thread starter suggested.

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

The reason behind is just so simple -- you are one of those who are doing this thing as the thread starter suggested.

Careful - careful here. Easy. And calm down. Some use the English language with all its wonderful assets (educated native speakers), some just use clear bold wording. Personally I like to "breathe" the depth and width of a language - as I simply cannot phrase things in that way. But it is always nice to read such texts. 

Of course the return >policies< makes economic sense: People feel comfortable. Plus: The returners feel easy. As we do, when we call TLG's customer service and ask for replacement parts. People here on EB talk about that all the time: "It was so nice" that TLG did this and that without having any obligations. And on average, it is better for TLG and all the others out there to do it that way, because these customers will for sure return - because they feel "no worries". Easy. It has become a lifestyle.

And of course this attracts cheaters. It is a natural thing in a world not necessarily balanced that well.

What do we learn? Don't go for the cheapest - "best" bargain? Want to be safe? Buy at The LEGO Store. Do you pay more? Sure. But there will never be a broken seal or a nicely prepared box with missing parts. Everything comes with a price. Trying to pull it off and feel fortunate is nice. But hey. This is not how this system works. Sometimes, there will be "tried pulling it off but got screwed". It is our choice. Well. Nobody says "I was trying to pull it off". It is always: "There was this crazy 50% off thing and I actually got it!!!"

Best
Thorsten

P.S.: We may get flak from the moderators - this thread IS old:innocent:

Edited by Toastie
Noticed the time stamp - man I am getting old

5 hours ago, Toastie said:

Careful - careful here. Easy. And calm down. Some use the English language with all its wonderful assets (educated native speakers), some just use clear bold wording. Personally I like to "breathe" the depth and width of a language - as I simply cannot phrase things in that way. But it is always nice to read such texts. 

Of course the return >policies< makes economic sense: People feel comfortable. Plus: The returners feel easy. As we do, when we call TLG's customer service and ask for replacement parts. People here on EB talk about that all the time: "It was so nice" that TLG did this and that without having any obligations. And on average, it is better for TLG and all the others out there to do it that way, because these customers will for sure return - because they feel "no worries". Easy. It has become a lifestyle.

And of course this attracts cheaters. It is a natural thing in a world not necessarily balanced that well.

What do we learn? Don't go for the cheapest - "best" bargain? Want to be safe? Buy at The LEGO Store. Do you pay more? Sure. But there will never be a broken seal or a nicely prepared box with missing parts. Everything comes with a price. Trying to pull it off and feel fortunate is nice. But hey. This is not how this system works. Sometimes, there will be "tried pulling it off but got screwed". It is our choice. Well. Nobody says "I was trying to pull it off". It is always: "There was this crazy 50% off thing and I actually got it!!!"

Best
Thorsten

P.S.: We may get flak from the moderators - this thread IS old:innocent:

I am NOT disagreeing with the return policy for ANY products. In fact, NOT every seller allows return and when a seller allows, they may apply restriction on kinds of products they allow. If return is not a risk to the general public and their business, why not just allowing return for any products? Does your underwear clothing allow return? Does fresh food allow return? In most cases, NO, even if a "friendly" merchant allows, they won't resell it again because they can readily understand the risks, but Lego is a problem,

many retailers probably don't understand the risk very well and they haven't thought

about the problem thoroughly. In a big local retail of my country where they allow return and I once asked about the possible risks and their frontline staff and even the manager weren't answering me confidently and looked like it was the first time they have heard of

the possibility, it then simply implies that they don't even understand the risk before. Yes, in most cases most people won't do this nasty thing but one evil member of the herd 

is already bad enough to Lego fans community.

9 hours ago, ks6349 said:

My reasons are always clear, direct and convincing, which I will not repeat here again and again. On the contrary you are just always speaking your own words, saying something otherwise in hope of confusing people. The reason behind is just so simple -- you are one of those who are doing this thing as the thread starter suggested.

No, I am not a thief. You have been told this before. You are making allegations of fraud without any knowledge.

As for me "speaking my own words" and your reasons being "clear, direct and convincing", what a load of rubbish. You claim an easy refund/return policy ALWAYS does more harm than good. This is false. There are cases when people return items without fraudulently removing items from them. This does the customer good and the store and other customers no harm. It also gets the store more sales overall as customers know they have a decent customer service.

Stores make huge numbers of sales every day, especially compared to the number of purchases by an individual. They know what works best for them hence why many stores, at least in Europe and Northern America, offer a refund policy.

10 hours ago, Toastie said:

We may get flak from the moderators - this thread IS old:innocent:

You won't. 

@ks6349 what possessed you to post in a three year old thread? If it was something new to add then the post would be valid. However it seems to simply be another of your rants that border on the paranoid.

Then you set off on attacking members and accusing them of criminality.

If this is going to be a continual problem. We might have to have a more formal chat.

@Peppermint_M Sorry for cutting in here, but with all due respect, I know ks6349 very well. He's really a great guy. He was frustrated because he felt like people were attacking him for his opinions, which happens a lot on these forums unfortunately and nothing is done about it. Instead, the person who stands up for themselves is played as the criminal. 

Some people on here like to challenge. But they don't understand that they are just expressing their opinion or speaking from their own experience. They're not stating facts or speaking for anyone else. Thought I'd just inform you of that since according to your profile, you are a moderator. 

Opinions are opinions. Someone who presents their opinion as irrefutable fact and accuses others of criminality needs to reign it in a bit.

Something I have noticed over nearly nine years as a moderator; people have moved from discussion of their respective opinions and the opinions of others to instead throwing their opinion out there and accusing any sort of opposing opinion as an attack. Anyone challenging an opinion with a factual return or a different experience/approach is accused of an attack.

Sure, this is reflected in society as a whole. However, people are welcome to express opinions but if they start mud-slinging moderators will step in.

Also, all this does not change the fact that a thread was necero-bumped for trivial reasons. Something the forum rules cover, mainly the rule is: Don't necro a thread without good reason.

3 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@Peppermint_M Sorry for cutting in here, but with all due respect, I know ks6349 very well. He's really a great guy. He was frustrated because he felt like people were attacking him for his opinions, which happens a lot on these forums unfortunately and nothing is done about it. Instead, the person who stands up for themselves is played as the criminal. 

Some people on here like to challenge. But they don't understand that they are just expressing their opinion or speaking from their own experience. They're not stating facts or speaking for anyone else. Thought I'd just inform you of that since according to your profile, you are a moderator. 

Not to shake things up in a soon to be locked thread but I've just finished posting an answer to you in the other section because of this. In my honest opinion you and your friend who are making very subjective remarks selling them as objective truth and making the debate personal the first moment someone dares to contradict you with their own arguments.

I had my quarrel wit MAB many months ago, I know he is a very precise and brutal debate partner and I actually do believe he contrariously enjoys finding logical holes. Still, I must take his side for this one. Just be more patient and if some statement can't be held up without subjectivity, just let it go and try not to be personal.

12 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

Not to shake things up in a soon to be locked thread but I've just finished posting an answer to you in the other section because of this. In my honest opinion you and your friend who are making very subjective remarks selling them as objective truth and making the debate personal the first moment someone dares to contradict you with their own arguments.

I had my quarrel wit MAB many months ago, I know he is a very precise and brutal debate partner and I actually do believe he contrariously enjoys finding logical holes. Still, I must take his side for this one. Just be more patient and if some statement can't be held up without subjectivity, just let it go and try not to be personal.

@Medzomorak Who is the one being subjective for real when a lot of people here talk about their experience of buying manipulated Lego sets and criticize the theft that we can see in this thread.

I did never disagree that the chance of getting manipulated Lego set is quite low. But some people like to use their only convincing fact to elaborate anything else subjective. The chance is LOW, but not VERY LOW. This is common sense. A "rare" chance should also be taken seriously, not to mention a low one

Now I even start to feel that stealing bricks lego sets and then returning may have become an organized criminal activities already. 

Some people focus on carefully opening the Lego box, some focus on cheeky returning in shops, some focus on selling their stealing, some focus on taking down voices on the internet.

14 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Opinions are opinions. Someone who presents their opinion as irrefutable fact and accuses others of criminality needs to reign it in a bit.

Something I have noticed over nearly nine years as a moderator; people have moved from discussion of their respective opinions and the opinions of others to instead throwing their opinion out there and accusing any sort of opposing opinion as an attack. Anyone challenging an opinion with a factual return or a different experience/approach is accused of an attack.

Sure, this is reflected in society as a whole. However, people are welcome to express opinions but if they start mud-slinging moderators will step in.

Also, all this does not change the fact that a thread was necero-bumped for trivial reasons. Something the forum rules cover, mainly the rule is: Don't necro a thread without good reason.

This thread is necro-bumped, but this topic is never! I happened to find this awesome thread that I agree so much so I need to reply to show my support and to further elaborate in hope of raising the awareness of the Lego company and other big merchants, and other innocent Lego fans as well. Yes it's very difficult, probably at the end of the day no more than 100 people will read and think carefully, but no problem, better than no voice.

In addition, buying manipulated Lego set is a probability which is undeniable, not something "irrefutable", not happening always though.

Maybe ks3649 would like a title on his profile? I think he's earned one.  Maybe "Customer Returns Crusader"?

@ks6349 you bumped a thread for a pretty irrelevant reason considering it was simply for a topic you mention in every single thread you can. Locking this.