Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] Inspecting the Outpost

The north-western most of the Rider Islands near Cocovia are often the first sight sailors behold, and an important strategic location for both civillian and military navigation. Therefore, a small outpost has been erected on the one called "Hussar's Isle" in preparation for the construction of a large lighthouse.

30410088015_c4aa5ab0ae_c.jpg

Upon returning from the old world, and most recently a succesful naval engagement against a Garvian privateer and a captured Eslandian treasure galleon, Cooke, now a post-captain, has decided to stop by the new outpost for an inspection on his way to Quinnsville for a long delayed meeting with the Mayor, Sir Thomas Smaugton.

30410087275_d413986f5e_c.jpg

Lieutenant Sharpe, commander of the garrison, is now facing his first inspection on an independent command, and the prospect of a godlike creature such as the Military Governor of the Southern Isles is bringing a sweat to his brow, although the last 14 hours since the Ironsides began beating its way against the wind towards the outpost had been rigorously spent in polishing every piece of brass available.
The single cannon starting its salute, and the troops lined up for parade, the inspection was becoming very real...
30410087395_63de4f4acc_c.jpg

Captain's Log, 22nd day of October, 616 AE

Raised Hussar's Isle at four bells in the forenoon watch. Winds unsuitable for mooring. Took jolly-boat in for inspection. Lieutenant Sharpe capable commander and troops in good order. Clearing ground for grand lighthouse proceeding as planned.

Four bells into the afternoon watch returned to HMS Ironsides. Course lain for Quinnsville. Sails spotted on northern horizon. Private signal answered correctly. Continued on prior course.

Really nice tent! :thumbup: The texture on the path is great too, but I'm a little confused by the brown... it's too textured for wood, but why would there be dirt right there?

A very nice build Bregir, and I enjoyed the story; you can really see the influence of your reading list in text (though as a post Captain, isn't he supposed to have a single epaulet... time to get the scissors out :devil:).

You did a far better job than me portraying waves an a blue base plate, and I like the field tent.  Well done!

A change of uniform for Cooke, nice!

A good concept for an outpost and a great strategic location - I love the name as well.

I've never been a big fan of brick built animals, but I have longer admired your seagulls. I think I'll be attempting one before too long! The trans clear plates for waves are simple but quiet effective. Great job and good to see Cocovia expanding.

Nice outpost! I particularly like the tent, the scrappy built battlement for the cannon and the gradual leveling of the rock. Also your take on the wavy sea is always a pleasant and fast way to do it and particularly handy for bigger scale projects (exhibition and such).

What strikes me as a bit odd is indeed this dark brown at the pier and the colored building behind the cannon as i would prefer a much neutral color for military buildings. 

All in all, a nice innovative moc of yours!

17 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Really nice tent! :thumbup: The texture on the path is great too, but I'm a little confused by the brown... it's too textured for wood, but why would there be dirt right there?

Thanks Kai, glad you like it - the path was originally intended to lead further up, but I basically ran out of greys. (And forgot my initial plan as I worked through it...)

The pier: Well, it was supposed to be built by placing the bricks as a foundation and then filling it with dirt, thus the brown... :pir-grin:

13 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

A very nice build Bregir, and I enjoyed the story; you can really see the influence of your reading list in text (though as a post Captain, isn't he supposed to have a single epaulet... time to get the scissors out :devil:).

You did a far better job than me portraying waves an a blue base plate, and I like the field tent.  Well done!

Thanks, Kwatchi - and I try to take inspiration from where I can. And will take it as a compliment when someone catches it! :pir-blush:

And in Corrington, we only use double epaulettes. What I have done so far is using the white ones for lieutenants, and yellow ones for post captains. And as I am one of the only ones to actively portray a corlander naval officers (as far as I remember... :pir-hmpf:) I am claiming the right of definition! :pir-tongue:

Glad you like the waves - I think baseplates are hard to make look nice.

12 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

A change of uniform for Cooke, nice!

A good concept for an outpost and a great strategic location - I love the name as well.

I've never been a big fan of brick built animals, but I have longer admired your seagulls. I think I'll be attempting one before too long! The trans clear plates for waves are simple but quiet effective. Great job and good to see Cocovia expanding.

This is the (new...) dress uniform for naval officers in Corrington (I just recently decided... :wink: ) And the name - well, I was taking inspiration from the name of the island chain "The Rider Islands" :wink:

And to be honest, I think those seagulls are lifted from some creator sets - but I don't have any of the lego seagulls, so these will have to do!

3 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice outpost! I particularly like the tent, the scrappy built battlement for the cannon and the gradual leveling of the rock. Also your take on the wavy sea is always a pleasant and fast way to do it and particularly handy for bigger scale projects (exhibition and such).

What strikes me as a bit odd is indeed this dark brown at the pier and the colored building behind the cannon as i would prefer a much neutral color for military buildings. 

All in all, a nice innovative moc of yours!

Thanks - see my comment to Kai about the brown. As to the building, I prefer them colourful. Glad you like the MOC :blush: The tent was to emphasize that this is a new and simple settlement, while the house is meant to be the storehouse for powder and shot, as well as a place to rest between duties.

Very nice outpost MOC! My favorite parts of the battlement with cannon and the wave effect with the clear plates. It took me a moment to realize the tent was a tent, but once I did, I liked it. Good minifig posing, and of your brick-built gulls, I like the one on the roof the best. Great piece usage for its wings! :thumbup:

ery nice build, only recommendation would be to top off the dark tan with tiles to distinguish more from the rockwork (wich is great!)