Rick

10255 Assembly Square

7 hours ago, Doge said:

Here in the Netherlands it is also unfair, while the Brick Bank os 150 Euros (as usual) in Germany, in the Netherlands it is 170 (!) Euros...

The amount of tax is nearly the same in both countries, and the traveling costs are also not the reason :pir-sceptic:

Here in Denmark Brick Bank is being sold at DKK 1399 which equals EUR 188. Assembly Square will be sold at DKK 2099 which is EUR 282.

VAT here is 25%.

Apparently we might only dream about the prices you have got out there in Europe.

I might use my "German connection" when buying this set.

I noticed this has 1x2 bricks in Sand Blue - regular bricks, rather than the slotted ones found in the Pet Shop. That's an element we haven't seen in over a decade, and even then it was only in, what, four sets? Very glad to see it make a comeback!

A couple of things I like about this modular...

1. I really like the architectural nods to the previous modular buildings.  I have all the buildings (except Market Street), so the nods to the previous buildings are really appreciated. 

2. Someone said they didn't like the modulars because they look like Disneyland Main Street. This is on of the things I do like about the buildings is that they remind me of one of my favorite places... Disneyland. The buildings (to me) do not look cartoonish, just a nod to the past. 

I will be glad to add this building to my collection of the modular buildings.

Andy D

12 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I also wish they'd stop using the bulky flowers piece and go back to using the old flowers - some new plants and bushes wouldn't go amiss either.

I agree. I'd replace the fountain with some bulky tall tree with a lot of flowers and plants around it.

I was a little disappointed when I first saw it, but once I realised the colours were oversaturated in the original images, I like it a lot more now. I'm definitely buying 2 sets so I can widen the buildings. Rather nervous at how much the New Zealand price will be (as well as availability, which can be a bit hit and miss here). 

As for the spaceship post - it made my day! :D

3 hours ago, nzlegolady said:

I was a little disappointed when I first saw it, but once I realised the colours were oversaturated in the original images, I like it a lot more now. I'm definitely buying 2 sets so I can widen the buildings. Rather nervous at how much the New Zealand price will be (as well as availability, which can be a bit hit and miss here). 

As for the spaceship post - it made my day! :D

It's NZD450 according to Shop@Home. I checked this morning.

15 hours ago, Doge said:

Here in the Netherlands it is also unfair, while the Brick Bank os 150 Euros (as usual) in Germany, in the Netherlands it is 170 (!) Euros...

The amount of tax is nearly the same in both countries, and the traveling costs are also not the reason :pir-sceptic:

I suspect the toy shop companies have a monopoly in the Netherlands, which is the main reason why it is around 20% more expensive here :sadnew: (also the prices in the catalog are removed)

The more reason to do a roadtrip to Germany, which is relatively cheaper than buying it here... :tongue:

Yes that is probably the best thing to do. I live at an hours drive from the German Oberhausen-shop. Fuelcost would be 15 euro's. But point is, can i buy two of them?? I have two accounts with both 15 euros worth of VIP points, but have no card anymore. Can i still get VIP-discount from both accounts in the Oberhausen Lego Store? Does anyone know?  And can i buy two at once in that shop? The price of the Assembly Square will differ about 30 euro's per set, so it is worht driving for an hour, if you don't count the time.... Maybe i should start a dealership, that buys sets in Germany, and takes them to the Netherlands..and sell 'm there again for a bit less... (Edit: the set just appeared on Shop at Home Netherlands and the price is Eur 259,99 so  'only' 20 euro's more than Germany...)

8 hours ago, Sven F said:

I think many people are put off by the garish colors which are falsely represented in those photos. I don't know who or why always cranks up the contrast in some official photos.  That middle building is supposed to be sand green and it looks bright green in the picture.  The tower is dark blue which in reality is a very deep color, but again looks so bright here.  Sand blue looks almost like medium azure. :sick:

Sven, i see exactly what you mean... somehow the saturation is messed up...same with the Brickbank, where a lot of people thought it was in Tan, in stead of White... Here the same... The colors will look better in real, i think!!

11 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

@LegoSjaak, this is with 4 sets right? 1 regular set, second one for the mirror, 3 and 4 for the second floor on the flower shop and 3rd floors on the dentist/café. Unless I'm missing something. 

Looks like an absolute beast imo.

With 4 sets, you'd better make separate buildings of it.. i'm not sure if a 4-set XL version would still fit with other modulars, especially when the other moduler sets are not in XL version.... The sandblue and yellow/white building would do very good as a corner building, or even as a some kind of U-building... so not only a 90-degree, but 180 degrees... that would look great and Majestic!

Edited by LegoSjaak
Extra information about new price

There is one thing that seems to be trending.. using more sets to make an XL-version.....this set is very usable for that, as you could make three decent buildings of it...so i think we will see a lot of stand alones, ore full-size 32 wide buildings!

I think this also a perfect set for those of us just starting up with the modulars, you get 3 buildings in one build to provide more interest in a street. . I've ordered Pet Shop (with its 2 buildings) and am keen to get this to go with it. . Will start saving now!

I'm still waiting for Brick Bank to be available here in Australia to buy in a shop. Maybe If I am lucky the shop with exclusive distribution rights will get a few in for Christmas. Maybe next Christmas I will get my hands on Assembly square. If the prices you guys quote are correct, and going by historical mark up for Australian distribution, this set will be about $350. (GBHQ was about $400 here, Opera house was $400). SO if I get one online and pay the $50 it costs to get one of these, I will be paying same as a GBHQ... 

PLease Lego, Don't have exclusive distributors of these sets, without demanding they have them in stock or at the least maintain an custome order policy!  (the store in question does not even have BB listed in their online catalogue - so there is NO way to buy a new one in shop in Australia) 

Grumble Grumble. I like AS, I think some people will MOD the middle and right building to become an inverted corner.. 

7 minutes ago, Adamskii said:

I'm still waiting for Brick Bank to be available here in Australia to buy in a shop. Maybe If I am lucky the shop with exclusive distribution rights will get a few in for Christmas. Maybe next Christmas I will get my hands on Assembly square. If the prices you guys quote are correct, and going by historical mark up for Australian distribution, this set will be about $350. (GBHQ was about $400 here, Opera house was $400). SO if I get one online and pay the $50 it costs to get one of these, I will be paying same as a GBHQ... 

PLease Lego, Don't have exclusive distributors of these sets, without demanding they have them in stock or at the least maintain an custome order policy!  (the store in question does not even have BB listed in their online catalogue - so there is NO way to buy a new one in shop in Australia) 

Grumble Grumble. I like AS, I think some people will MOD the middle and right building to become an inverted corner.. 

It's AUD400 https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Assembly-Square-10255

Assembly Square has been confirmed to be $400 in Australia. Orders over $200 from Lego online are shipped for free.

GB HQ is $500 (unless you find one at Big W for $475).

As previously mentioned, go to Myer and ask them to do an iPad order for the Brick Bank.

13 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

Assembly Square has been confirmed to be $400 in Australia. Orders over $200 from Lego online are shipped for free.

GB HQ is $500 (unless you find one at Big W for $475).

As previously mentioned, go to Myer and ask them to do an iPad order for the Brick Bank.

I went to Myer at tea tree plaza SA, asked for exactly what you said - all I got was blank stares and crickets. They sent me to the lay buy office, all I got was blank stares and crickets, They rang Adelaide store - no one knew a thing about ordering BB and all said have to wait until it comes back in. But this really makes me angry - why do I have to do all the leg work to buy something that will invariably be overpriced, sold exclusively with no competition to drive price? Lego is not making it easy to buy their high end products in bricks and mortar stores in Australia. If only there was an alternative Even if the ipad thing is true. Look at the hoops I have to jump through for a product that is almost a year released?

Edited by Adamskii

18 hours ago, Doge said:

I suspect the toy shop companies have a monopoly in the Netherlands, which is the main reason why it is around 20% more expensive here :sadnew: (also the prices in the catalog are removed)

The more reason to do a roadtrip to Germany, which is relatively cheaper than buying it here... :tongue:

It is the other way round: cheaper in Germany.

Belgium and France have the same price as Netherlands (usually France is Between Germany and Belgium for the price).

Last year I went to Cologne for getting the Brickbank + Ghostbusters HQ, there was a 70€ difference compared to Belgium.

Usually for 20€ difference I go to Lille store, but here since the French price is the same as in Belgium I'll order it on S@H (Cologne is too far for only 20€).

As the value of the £ decreased (right?) it is normal that it appears cheaper in UK ; Lego tries to compensate currency changes usually, so prices do not change for people buying on their own market.

Edited by antp

How many of the same modular can you buy in the Lego store in one purchase? I know the limit on S@H is 5 per household.  

12 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

How many of the same modular can you buy in the Lego store in one purchase? I know the limit on S@H is 5 per household.  

I could always order only one modular per account/Household in the last years... Do not know what amount you can haul in a store...

AFAIK, the general policy is that the store cannot sell more than 16 of any one item to a single customer. It may be more restrictive for large items, such as exclusives.

EDIT: info is from the Vienna LEGO store.

Edited by Sammael

2 hours ago, Adamskii said:

I went to Myer at tea tree plaza SA, asked for exactly what you said

Fair enough. I'm sorry you didn't have any luck. I would suggest maybe trying again as I've never had any issues. Basically, they should just grab their iPad, search for stock of the Brick Bank and if they find one they will transfer it to your local store. It's normally quick and easy, so it's unfortunate no one at your local store was willing to help.

Other online retailers, like Outer Rim Trading Co, should eventually get in stock. Myer should also get in more stock prior to Christmas (as part of their sales / promotions leading up to Christmas).

On 17/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

In many ways i think this is a great, great set. There's a wide variety of bricks in various colors. Plenty of bricks to get creative.

And it seems to me that is exactly what Jamie was aiming for. Over the years the buildings themselves became less impressive perhaps,

but instead tons of ideas were added to it. So many features and funny details which for me is the trademark Jamie design.

As for the new bricks, they may be very useful, but as always it takes away the creative challenge a bit. I find it more fun to think

of a neat way to work around the corner, and not having the right brick for it. But that's just me. :)

Totally agree with the corner parts. If they continue to make parts for a certain purpose, it takes away the point of the lego brick. Dont get me wrong, these could be used for a host of different things, but slowly these parts are taking away that creative edge.

Very happy with Assembly Square!  I have Cafe Corner but not worried at all about having a 2nd similar cafe on my street, and it's a nice touch for people who missed out on it.  I like all the shops and what's upstairs, and that's despite already doing my own bakery and own florist, better for them to be in competition!   And how did a minifig get hold of Cafe Corner if this is 1920s/1930!  I've decided my street is 1983...

Here's my Mar 2013 post mentioning dentist, florist, bakery, detective office, do you think Jamie was influenced by it!!?

I'll most likely use two sets two mod this aswell. But I won't go with any mirror building.

Instead, I'll mod the left and right buildings to full-size corner buildings on a 32x32 baseplate each, while the flower shop will be on 16 wide baseplate (it already looks a bit like the Pet Shop, so why not go all the way). I'll either do a simple mod with just another storey added, or I'll mod it into a building of the same height, but with increased depth.
In any case, I'll try to fit interior staircases in both the bakery and the flower shop.

I may even challenge myself and try to use ONLY bricks from two sets to do this...though most likely I'll get annoyed and just use whatever I need *g*

Just realized: A new modular coming out means I propably should think about finally opening one of my Brick Banks and building it :look:. Where the heck has this year gone?!

Edited by RogerSmith