Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL - KMA] Fortaleza Victoria

With the initial settlement of Fuerte Unido secure, Capitan Alonzo now had to look at the long term defense of the settlement. Although the south bay was the best anchorage of Isla de Victoria, the settlement was positioned at the narrowest part of the island (less than 30 miles across!). As such, Fuerte Unido was susceptible to an attack from the north if Mardier were to land troops on the northern shore. So, Capitan Alonzo sent out Sargento Felipe and the troops on construction duty once more, to build a small fort on the coast directly north.

Imagine Felipe's shock when, after he crossed the ridge that forms the southern backbone of the island and followed a river to the northern coast, that there was already a settlement there! Mardier had made more than a claim to the island; it already had a settlement! And from the looks of it, it had been there for awhile. This was an unexpected development!

Felipe sent one of his men back to Fuerte Unido to report this urgent information, but he did not abandon his mission. Sargento Felipe and his men backtracked up-river and found a good location for the blockhouse, on a hill at a bend in the river, perhaps 15 miles from both Fuerte Unido and the Mardier settlement. This would still protect Fuerte Unido's northern flank, and could cut-off any supplies the Marderians might send to or receive from the interior of the island.

01angle.jpg

It took much less time to build than Fuerto Unido (which included a blockhouse at one corner). But this blockhouse could better stand alone, with musket slits on the lower level, and gunports for 3 cannons.

02outside.jpg

Additionally, Fortaleza Victoria had a watch tower built into the roof.

03lookout.jpg

Capitan Alonzo would be pleased with the job, thought Felipe. Perhaps he would even be promoted to have a command of his own, here at Fortaleza Victoria.

04front.jpg

Edit: Please note that the text above has been revised to note the discovery of the Marderian settlement and subsequent corrected location of Fortaleza Victoria.

Edited by Capt Wolf

I agree with Elostirion, a very nice looking blockhouse, the watch tower on top looks particularly good. I'm not sure I'd like to be inside with the cannons firing though!

Nice one! The black and brown roof seems to be the standard for your military buildings, right? :classic:

Also the surrounding ground is thoughtfully built. Not too many plants but not too few as well

15 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Fantastic overall appearance of the MOC, a very solid looking blockhouse. Great work on this one.

Thanks. It's basically a beefed-up version of what I used in the triangular fort.

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I agree with Elostirion, a very nice looking blockhouse, the watch tower on top looks particularly good. I'm not sure I'd like to be inside with the cannons firing though!

Thanks. I'm sure the firing of the cannons do rock things, but surely it can't be much worse than being on a ship.

14 hours ago, TitusV said:

Very nice build, gotta love that roof-watchtower!

Thanks. I was very happy that I was able to make the roof work with the watch tower on top. I had wanted to do a hip roof, but the parts didn't arrive in time.

13 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one! The black and brown roof seems to be the standard for your military buildings, right? :classic:

Also the surrounding ground is thoughtfully built. Not too many plants but not too few as well

That roof has been my go-to build of late for the rustic builds, mainly because I have the pieces for it! But I'm looking forward to getting back to civilization and working with some red tile roofs again. :pir-laugh:

And thanks re the plants. I always struggle with that part. But this gave me the chance to use some new lime green leaves.

On 10/10/2016 at 11:26 AM, Capt Wolf said:

Thanks. I'm sure the firing of the cannons do rock things, but surely it can't be much worse than being on a ship.

I was thinking more of the sound and smoke and taking pity on the poor minifigs inside!! :pir-laugh:

Edited by Ayrlego

Please note that the text in the original post has been revised to note the discovery of the Marderian settlement and subsequent corrected location of Fortaleza Victoria.