I think discussion about the houses should go into the city subforum.

If not, the disussion about modular buildings should come into the special themes subforum.

Both are flying the creator flag. :)

Thank you very much for the pics, bitbamboo! :classic:

It's really a pity that there is no public open air swimming pool! :thumbdown:

But: These new houses are hillarious and I like TLG for releasing these sets which are compatible with the regular Lego City houses because they have no backwalls and are nevertheless very detailed, have a nice interior and are very realistic looking! The most of the three buildings I like the modern house - simply amazing! :wub::wub::wub:

Keep on that great work, TG, and offer us many more of these buildings in the next years, too! Since this simmer we then have enough houses to live, I hope that 2018 will bring us some great shop buildings! An office would be amazing! :thumbup:

Gosh darn it. I didn't realise that all of the houses were backless when I first saw the photos. That's pretty disappointing. So, IF they do fold in half to be fully enclosed, then they're actually all half the size that they appear to be.

There I was mistakenly thinking that Lego were releasing larger size Creator houses like Family House, Hillside House, Apple Tree House, Family Home, Beach House, House, Model Town House and Building Bonanza  (ALL of which were sadly released during my Dark Ages).

7 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Gosh darn it. I didn't realise that all of the houses were backless when I first saw the photos. That's pretty disappointing. So, IF they do fold in half to be fully enclosed, then they're actually all half the size that they appear to be.

I don't think they'd be smaller when folded closed, just differently shaped. And obviously they've been made to be viewed the way they were presented at the fair, so might not look so interesting folded closed, with features on either side of the buildings.

I'm fairly certain at this point that the Family Villa and Poolside Holiday sets can be folded closed, but I'm still worried about the Modern Home. There just doesn't seem to be enough wall area to make a complete building.

I miss the old Creator houses too, like the Modern Town House, which I also didn't get because Dark Ages. I was hoping that the Family Villa would be more like one of those houses, but I think they're focussing too much on features at the expense of substance. I'd quite like a more solid house, even if it is more plain.

Edited by David Thomsen

Brickset has some new high quality images of most of the upcoming creator buildings, and they seem to confirm that the buildings will have open backs and don't have the ability to fold closed. This is sad for me because I'm really only interested in enclosed buildings. However, very good for my wallet since collecting minifig-compatible Creator sets was getting out of hand.

It's possible that the smallest build of the Family Villa set is small enough to have enough bricks to make it an enclosed building, but I'm not interested in buying a Creator set just to make the smallest build...

Curiously, the 1st floor (or 2nd, depending on how your country counts floors) of the main Family Villa build has solid grey behind the windows giving the impression of an enclosed space, but this grey wall does not appear to be brick built.

Edited by David Thomsen

Officially, June 1st, which means they're likely to start showing up on store shelves in mid to late May.

In the Modern Home, why is there a hose connecting the car to the house?

EDIT:

Oh wait, I know what that is, its not a hose, its a cable for charging an electric car :)

Great to see TLG putting electric cars into sets (there was also at least one Friends set that had an electric car in it)

Am I the only one who is disappointed that TLG has stopped making the really large Creator houses (the last one they made was the Family House in 2013 although you could almost count the Bike Shop & Cafe from 2014 in the same category)

Edited by jonwil

21 hours ago, jonwil said:

Am I the only one who is disappointed that TLG has stopped making the really large Creator houses (the last one they made was the Family House in 2013 although you could almost count the Bike Shop & Cafe from 2014 in the same category)

Very disappointed! I don't understand why they're happy to make a number of large $300 to $400 sets, a bunch of smaller, cheaper sets, but not much in-between. 

I just noticed something of interest on the boxes of the new Creator houses to be released in summer 2017.  If you look at the photos that were taken at the NY Toy Fair (posted on many websites), the boxes reveal more information than what was revealed from the German toy fair.  Here are the 3 sets with their titles:

31069 Modular Family Villa

31067 Modular Poolside Holiday

31068 Modular Modern Home

What does the term "modular" refer to?  Will each of these three homes have interchangeable sections?  If you recall, the small Creator train, race car, and air show sets released this year have interchangeable parts (which in my opinion was poorly executed).  Or will it be like the Lighthouse released last year in which each section of the lighthouse and roof can be interchanged into many different forms?

Has this already been discussed (I couldn't find any discussion on it)?  Any thoughts as to how this will work?  Can anything be inferred from the photos as to how these homes will be 'modular'?

Here's a link to one of the sites with very good NY Toy Fair photos:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/02/18/summer-lego-creator-sets-revealed-at-new-york-toy-fair-2017-news/

Edited by wooster
added more details

That is interesting. I can only guess that they're (mis)using the term "Modular" to refer to the three different builds / "modules"? Although, if that was the case, then I don't know why they're limiting the use of that term to their residential builds as opposed to all of the Creator "3 in 1" builds.

I don't really see how else they could be "Modular". They don't even appear to be able to connect together "side by side" to form a street.

Maybe they're using the term "Modular" to differentiate these open-back / City-style houses from other Creator builds like the recent Park Street Townhouse which are still capable of being fully enclosed?

Edited by Agent 86

This link has some more pictures, one of which has the Modular Modern Home seen from the back. There are no pins or holes on the back, and the things sticking out of the side of the building would prevent it from attaching to anything that way. Maybe the doors can be swapped around? They're very similar builds.

I dunno. If they are 'modular', I find it unlikely that they will be modular in a way that interests me, if they can't be made into whole buildings.

Thank you very much for the links, wooster and Capparezza! :classic:

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed about the interior of the buildings: The Modern House has only a very small couch and a stair (plus a screen on the wall) downstairs. Instead of that stupid dog, I'd have prefered to get a table inside. That there's no room in the attic of the Family Home is really a shame (no more pics would have been needed if TLG kept one side open). Plus having the bed room and the living room without wall between them isn't nice, too. Last there are missing two stairs downstairs next to the dining table. :thumbdown:

Nevertheless there is some interior. And the exterior still stays hillarious! :thumbup:

Btw: Can someone detect from the pics which the first building alternative of the Family Home is (the second one is some kind of villa)? Is it something similar to the Grand Hotel?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

On 2/20/2017 at 11:21 PM, Agent 86 said:

That is interesting. I can only guess that they're (mis)using the term "Modular" to refer to the three different builds / "modules"? Although, if that was the case, then I don't know why they're limiting the use of that term to their residential builds as opposed to all of the Creator "3 in 1" builds.

I don't really see how else they could be "Modular". They don't even appear to be able to connect together "side by side" to form a street.

Maybe they're using the term "Modular" to differentiate these open-back / City-style houses from other Creator builds like the recent Park Street Townhouse which are still capable of being fully enclosed?

"Modular" in this case seems to mean that each one of the builds can separate into multiple sections that you can rearrange, like many previous Friends and City buildings. For example, the Modular Modern Home seems to have an 8x16 lower section, two 8x8 upper sections, and an 8x8 roof section, which can be moved around in various ways. Modular Poolside Holiday has one 8x16 lower section, two 8x8 roof sections, and an 8x8 pool section, so if you so chose, you could put the pool on the roof! You can even exchange sections between multiple sets or between multiple builds of the same set, though the latter might require multiple copies of the set since the modules you want to combine might require some of the same parts.

Arguably these are even MORE modular than the Creator Expert Modular Buildings. Those, at best, let you rearrange them on a street and add or remove middle floors, but you can't take a floor from the Fire Brigade and add it to the Town Hall, or put the roof of the Brick Bank on the Palace Cinema.

LEGO did something similar with some of the mini vehicle sets for the first half of the year. Every one of the three models for 31054 Blue Express, 31055 Red Racer, and 31060 Airshow Aces can separate into modules using Technic cross axles. And the modules are all inter-compatible between vehicles. This video illustrates this concept. LEGO has even shared video building guides on how to make other modular vehicles that you can mix-and-match the same way, like a limo and boat.

Edited by Aanchir

Picker up the Robo Explorer today, first Creator set in ages. Couldn't resist the cute little robot and its pet rock. As parts go, nothing too special, except that I didn't have a lot of the powder blue going around; and this is my first set with the link tread - boy, I can see that being annoying for bigger models. Only the second light brick in my collection too, though I don't remember the Alien Conquest ones being so bright.

The robo-critter alternate builds are cute enough, but I picked this one for the primary, and so far it makes a great desk toy just out of the box. Slippery or no, the claw arm can hold a surprising amount of stuff (and a couple of, say, dental rubber bands would fix the grip problem), and there's enough posability to be worth messing with. I certainly haven't stopped. Only think I'm thinking about tinkering with is rebuilding the forehead a bit to give it antenna eyebrows or somesuch.

Yeah, definitely recommend this one if you want a set to just putter around with.

Should we expect any Creator Expert car in 2017?

Edited by parsom

22 minutes ago, parsom said:

Should we expect any Creator Expert car in 2017?

There isn't any reason to think otherwise.

2 hours ago, Kaanere said:

There isn't any reason to think otherwise.

Any rumors what it could be?

1 hour ago, parsom said:

Any rumors what it could be?

Not at the moment.

And please, no speculation.