Sign in to follow this  
Sir Gareth

Pokémon Go

What's the big deal with this game? I keep hearing about it but don't understand the buzz.

This.

Everybody is posting about this.

All what I hear is "Oh look I found this or that pokemon"

I just read that a girl found a corpse in a river while chasing a pokemon with the game O____________O

I just read that a girl found a corpse in a river while chasing a pokemon with the game O____________O

I saw that article too. Creepy stuff. :look: Doesn't exactly entice me to download it.

Edited by mediumsnowman

This.

Everybody is posting about this.

All what I hear is "Oh look I found this or that pokemon"

Perhaps Police should use it...

There's a lot of misconceptions about this game. You don't chase the Pokemon because they usually stay still for about 5 minutes before "teleporting" elsewhere. Once you walk writhing about 30 foot radius of where the Pokemon appears on gps you ARE close enough to catch it, and tapping it on your map screen will cause your phone to switch to a camera, and the Pokemon will be a foot away, wherever the lens is pointing. You also don't even have to look at your phone to know if there's any nearby, as it vibrates when there's one within 30 feet, so you can catch it. No reason to walk off a cliff or anything. I think the game is great for young kids with plenty of time on their hands. The game forces you to walk (or at least drive in a car) to play. To hatch an egg, the game told me to walk 5 kilometers. Also, visiting monuments, statues, or stores looking for some Pokeprofit TM will get you in game items. I think it's a step on the right direction for mobile games encouraging exercise and worldliness. Edit: as far as dead bodies go, she would probably have been just as likely to find it on a nature walk or sightseeing trip.

Edited by Jbricks

The big deal is that it creates traffic in absurd places around a given city.

Oh don't be such a buzz kill. The game is fun and gets people outside

There's a lot of misconceptions about this game. You don't chase the Pokemon because they usually stay still for about 5 minutes before "teleporting" elsewhere. Once you walk writhing about 30 foot radius of where the Pokemon appears on gps you ARE close enough to catch it, and tapping it on your map screen will cause your phone to switch to a camera, and the Pokemon will be a foot away, wherever the lens is pointing. You also don't even have to look at your phone to know if there's any nearby, as it vibrates when there's one within 30 feet, so you can catch it. No reason to walk off a cliff or anything. I think the game is great for young kids with plenty of time on their hands. The game forces you to walk (or at least drive in a car) to play. To hatch an egg, the game told me to walk 5 kilometers. Also, visiting monuments, statues, or stores looking for some Pokeprofit TM will get you in game items. I think it's a step on the right direction for mobile games encouraging exercise and worldliness. Edit: as far as dead bodies go, she would probably have been just as likely to find it on a nature walk or sightseeing trip.

I know. It is soooo much harder to get outside and get exercising without using a device. How did anyone walk around before Pokemon Go?

I know. It is soooo much harder to get outside and get exercising without using a device. How did anyone walk around before Pokemon Go?

Walk?? What is this walk you speak of??

My friend's girlfriend was joking about someone being dumb enough to hurt themselves while playing Pokemon Go. An hour or so later she was playing, fell down the stairs, and fractured her ankle.

My friend's girlfriend was joking about someone being dumb enough to hurt themselves while playing Pokemon Go. An hour or so later she was playing, fell down the stairs, and fractured her ankle.

Is this a real story?

Poor girl

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What, you think kids would rather go on a walk then sit at home and play video games? Think again. This app combines the two, I'm not saying it's the best, only way to combat laziness/obliviousness/obesity, but it has good intentions and will hopefully increase outdoor play and the health of kids.

Thank you for actually helping with information and staying on topic. Great info here, very helpful. :thumbup:

Heard people getting robbed, cause they get lurred to a specific place with a beacon.

Also, not to give anyone ideas, but kinda creepy when this comes in the hands of childmolesters or something...

*huh**oh2*

Heard people getting robbed, cause they get lurred to a specific place with a beacon.

I just saw that one.

I also read that a US soldier fighting ISIS caught a Squirtle in the desert.

Everyone is playing this :laugh:

Some states now have "don't Pokemon Go and drive at the same time" public service announcements. Can you sue the game maker if you get injured playing the game?

To make people exercise, you can write an app that makes someone walk x number of miles before the phone unlocks but keep emergency call available.

Besides all the weird news, 'cause it's a hype right now, I must admit the guys who came up with this are genius.

Who wouldn't wanted to catch Pokémon when they got their hands clutched around their gameboy when it got out on for the first time...

And now you can again, almost for real. :sweet:

Although in haven't got Pokémon Go, I'm kinda curious; can you train them? can they evolve? can you battle? :blush:

Edited by -zenn

Some states now have "don't Pokemon Go and drive at the same time" public service announcements. Can you sue the game maker if you get injured playing the game?

Nope. There is nothing wrong with the game. It's how people use it what is wrong.

I am from DC and all the museums here have started to ban it as well as National Park sites. Mostly because people would be using the game in really inappropriate places. For instance the Holocaust Museum, I heard someone tried to catch a charnander in one of the boxcars the Nazis used.

There was a gym setup at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery. If you dont know the cemetery is the highest place of honor for soldiers or vetrans who have passed and the tomb is a national memorial for every American soldier to die in war (even those now) but whose bodies were never recovered or identified.

Same story at the Vietnam War Memorial where every soldier who died has their name listed on a wall.

Look I love the game but people need to get smarter about there surroundings.

I heard someone tried to catch a charnander in one of the boxcars the Nazis used.

I also read that a US soldier fighting ISIS caught a Squirtle in the desert.

These are kinda hilarious.

I correct myself. According to the Washington Post it was a Posion Gas type pokemon the guy caught at the Holocaust Museum...I am absolutely done lol that is just awful