Forresto

LEGO Star Wars Pricing Discussion Thread

There must be reasons although i do not know what they are but world price differences are similar across many products Europe pays more than America generally no matter where the item is manufactured and UK pays even more again it must be to do with market size or something but its not Lego being greedy its the same with branded clothing electronics cameras etc

I'm thinking this has more to do with taxes and import tariffs. Most of Europe, UK included, has alot more social programs than the US. Those effect tax rates for businesses and also impact imports. You answered you own question, "its the same with branded clothing electronics cameras etc".

Read my post above.

Jamie

I'm thinking this has more to do with taxes and import tariffs. Most of Europe, UK included, has alot more social programs than the US. Those effect tax rates for businesses and also impact imports. You answered you own question, "its the same with branded clothing electronics cameras etc".

Take a look at the contents of 76057 vs 75150 and you will see that it is not just taxes or import tariffs, or a matter of small vs large parts.

Also, taxes are just a tad higher in the Netherlands and in Belgium than in most other European countries (let's put German prices as the prime European example). It doesn't explain why medium sized Bionicle sets are 15 euros/dollars in Europe and the US, but 18 euros in the Netherlands and Belgium. That's 20% more, way higher than the difference in taxes and the likes. A 90 euro set in Europe (in a lot of cases a 100 euro set) like the TIE & A-wing is 110 euros in the Netherlands and Belgium.

This thread will get salty after a few pages, I just know it.

[snip]

:laugh: It probably will. Myself and the majority of the lego community can't stand overpriced sets, especially when they come with a good model or good figures

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images.

But isn't it actually worse if a terrible set with uninteresting figures is incredibly overpriced? I mean, sure, it's easy to skip on it. But it's about the fact that they dare to charge that much for it.

Also, taxes are just a tad higher in the Netherlands and in Belgium than in most other European countries (let's put German prices as the prime European example). It doesn't explain why medium sized Bionicle sets are 15 euros/dollars in Europe and the US, but 18 euros in the Netherlands and Belgium. That's 20% more, way higher than the difference in taxes and the likes. A 90 euro set in Europe (in a lot of cases a 100 euro set) like the TIE & A-wing is 110 euros in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Blokker holding has a monopoly on toystores in most regions in the Netherlands. I imagine that's a factor in setting the price here. There is no way the 2% extra tax accounts for 10 euros extra on any set more expensive than 50 euros/dollars in other regions. However, many dutch stores focused on online sales use the more reasonable "european" msrp.

Edited by khatmorg

Yeah I always shop online. Everything's about 20 or 30% cheaper that way. Still, it could be even cheaper if the physical store prices weren't so ridiculous. This applies for almost the entire world of course.

Well its inevitable. How do people think Brexit will effect Lego pricing for the UK?

This is not a political question and this is not the place to argue politics. A decision was however made yesterday and it will most likely have some effect on our shared hobby (although this is far from the most important thing it will effect).

Well its inevitable. How do people think Brexit will effect Lego pricing for the UK?

This is not a political question and this is not the place to argue politics. A decision was however made yesterday and it will most likely have some effect on our shared hobby (although this is far from the most important thing it will effect).

This is exactly what I came here to ask! (from a purely AFOL point of view, not political).

Well I've been watching the pound all day (I need to for work) and all I know is that my credit card is on stand by to splurge on some lovely GBP priced lego later, long live the Euro ;)

Edited by Dublad

I like the set and/or it contains one or more minifigures I absolutely want, I buy it. I know, it's a bit complicated and outlandish, but it works and always makes me happy! :classic:

Well said.

For me the rebel frigate is too expensive because it's a not particularly attractive model of a not at all iconic ship so I won't be buying it unless I happen across it VERY discounted.

On the other hand, I honestly don't think they could set a price tag I wouldn't pay for an updated UCS Falcon.

Well I've been watching the pound all day (I need to for work) and all I know is that my credit card is on stand by to splurge on some lovely GBP priced lego later, long live the Euro ;)

You're going to have a long wait. I seriously doubt it will drop below the Euro. Sure, it will fluxuate while the market figures out what the hell is going on, but it won't get THAT bad. The UK still has a strong economy (it was second in Europe afterall) so don't expect much of a saving on Lego...

I can hope!

You're going to have a long wait. I seriously doubt it will drop below the Euro. Sure, it will fluxuate while the market figures out what the hell is going on, but it won't get THAT bad. The UK still has a strong economy (it was second in Europe afterall) so don't expect much of a saving on Lego...

I can hope!

I hope that canadians reading this are holding tight to their chairs: the rebel frigate is a whopping 150 CAN. Just saw the price on the online store. This is a disgrace and no big pieces can justify that pricing. ( Getting nervous on those RO CAN prices, especially that Imperial shuttle, which by the same frigate logic, will cost 150$. )

Edited by RetroInferno

Well, Rebel Frigate and A-Wing vs Tie-Advanced are more expansive then comparable sets, I do not see any reason for that, be it weight, cents per bricks, minifigs quantity... TLG seems to be trying to find how much are we willing to pay for a set with desirable minifig (Darth Vader / Ahsoka).

Prices are always about what the customer is willing to pay for really. I wonder how far TLG can turn the screw until there will be a plunge in interest and willingness to pay the prices.

I find it strange, that SW sets are getting more expensive , while Superhero sets (especially Marvel ) is getting cheaper at the same time! Considering that both are licensed themes and both SW & Marvel are hugely popular now, it makes no sense why one would cost increasingly more than the other( and both IPs are owned by the same company). Just compare the overall value of Bridge Battle and Rex's AT-TE, bridge has more pieces ( and a lot of big plates) more minifigures( most of the characters are new) and costs 30$ less! Where's logic in that?

Edited by benderisgreat

Plus super heroes sets have tons of new accurate minifigs with printing everywhere and a lot of new molds. SW got really lazy in that department, especially with the clones.

I find it strange, that SW sets are getting more expensive , while Superhero sets (especially Marvel ) is getting cheaper at the same time! Considering that both are licensed themes and both SW & Marvel are hugely popular now, it makes no sense why one would cost increasingly more than the other( and both IPs are owned by the same company). Just compare the overall value of Bridge Battle and Rex's AT-TE, bridge has more pieces ( and a lot of big plates) more minifigures( most of the characters are new) and costs 30$ less! Where's logic in that?

Rex's AT-TE is also based on Rebels, not the most stellar starwars related material. But it's not just Starwars going up lately, City is getting over the top expensive too, while Nexo Knights ( which I loathe ) had kept a pretty good value.

If Rebels based sets are that expensive I can't fanthom what RO's first wave will cost like. ( I'm looking at you Black Imperial Shuttle ). Let's hope it's not ridiculous.

Captain Rex's AT-TE currently £76 at Tesco direct.

Is this the right place to post this sort of thing or is there a more appropriate thread? Seems like something people would be interested in.

Rex's AT-TE is also based on Rebels, not the most stellar starwars related material. But it's not just Starwars going up lately, City is getting over the top expensive too, while Nexo Knights ( which I loathe ) had kept a pretty good value.

If Rebels based sets are that expensive I can't fanthom what RO's first wave will cost like. ( I'm looking at you Black Imperial Shuttle ). Let's hope it's not ridiculous.

Yeah, but SW is the biggest price offender of them all. Edited by benderisgreat

And also, the value of the SW sets are getting worse with the increased price tag. 75150 has only 700(plus a little bit)pieces, 4 minifigures and it solids for $90. This making buying the big sets just for the sake of "more expensive set = more value" pointless since now there's much more smaller sets with much better values than the big sets.

And also, the value of the SW sets are getting worse with the increased price tag. 75150 has only 700(plus a little bit)pieces, 4 minifigures and it solids for $90. This making buying the big sets just for the sake of "more expensive set = more value" pointless since now there's much more smaller sets with much better values than the big sets.

Here in my country, 75150 costs 109,99 EUR (about 120 dollars), even more than in other European countries! I never thought that a 700-pieces-set could break the 99.99 EUR barrier. As a comparison, the last Tydirium shuttle, which was certainly a more substantial set (it had 937 pieces and came with an abundant crew), costed 99.99 EUR, and one cannot say that it's a starship of little importance in the movies... [Couriously, reading the comments on Amazon, it appears that when the Tydirium came out, people were complaining of it being too expensive]

Edited by Arthur Schopenhauer