VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Observations from the unsaturated poster:

• Tahu: the 3M shells connecting his shoulder armor look trans red. They're probably going to be orange, but I'm hoping for trans red so much right now.
  • Kopaka:
    - His arm armor looks more dark blue than before but I'm not placing bets; it could still end up black.
  • Pohatu: I'm convinced now that his torso and upper legs are dark tan.
    - Looks much better with the trans neon green being consistent.
  • Onua: torso seems to be black, as previously discussed. That makes me happy.
    - Upper leg armor has indeed changed, for the better since we get trans purple shells.

I've got to agree on all of these. Onua probably looks slightly better with black rather than gold, although black, purple and gold work well enough together that it's not too much of a difference. Also, the 3m shells on Tahu's shoulders are noticeably different-looking compared to his arm bones, which, while probably just a side effect of the lighting, could still imply tr. red.

More ammo for the idea of a new Rahkshi style swinging function.

This leaves Kopaka and Lewa as the odd ones since they both have single hand hold weapons, unless there is something we haven't seen yet.

Onua's torso is most definitely black on the poster.

What I want to know though, is if Tahu's weapon function has pins with friction or without it in it. Seems to me it's the tan/no friction ones but I also see some black ones?

That would make everyone but Lewa and Kopaka wield staff weapons, so it'd make sense.

And Umarak. But he's got his blade and he can aim with his bow, like Lewi suggested a few pages ago.

I imagine Ekimu is going to use the Uniters body build, but I wonder which type of functions the Beasts and Umarak are going to feature.

Edited by Shakar

Official pics should be surfacing anyday now for these sets...right?

I guess so. We're halfway through october and if official pics don't come this month they will certainly come in november.

That poster looks absolutely amazing by the way. :D

And giant Mata Nui island outline... either a sneaky Easter egg; or all those G1-G2 connection theories are about to come true...

I guess so. We're halfway through october and if official pics don't come this month they will certainly come in november.

That poster looks absolutely amazing by the way. :D

It absolutely does!!!! Tahu has gone into my must buy list......as have....all of them really.............I'm very excited for Gali with her asymmetry and orange, I think I will likely buy Onua as well...I'm not sure about Pohatu right now...Kopaka also looks rad, but I think I'm going for Tahu (one or the other for me because they have similar looking constructions) and Tahu has wings and an absolutely vibrant colour scheme...Lewa I may leave out..I'm not sure about his mask right now and I'm not a fan of his, in my opinion, boring colour scheme.

It sucks I can only afford to get a few of these guys :( despite my criticisms, they are all fantastic. The more I look at the poster, the more I know Onua/Tahu and their creatures are absolute buys for me. I might get Gali or Pohatu...it really depends..

Edited by lambda_cla3391

Tahu, my baby. Totally not minding that gold anymore.

I think 2016 will be a mighty fine year, ladies and gentlemen. -_o

Absolutely! :D I may keep his red mask on for the combo though....dammit December get here soon

I really hope that Onua has a black torso - it makes him look so much better. But that lighting still leaves doubt that it still could be gold.

On Tahu: I really didn't want to get him (I'm trying to save money for other themes), but that poster sold me! He looks so regal; the Creature mask on top of his mask, combined with those beautiful wings and all that gold, just screams wow. Ugh. The blue complements his red and gold nicely as well.

I still feel that Tahu looks too messy, and still dislike the over-abundance of gold.

I'll need to see him in hand. I feel like the CGI emphasizes his trans-orange and gold a bit too much, it's hard to tell how bad all that gold really is.

Am I one of the only people who thinks the brown on Pohatu looks way too dark to be Dark-Tan ?

-Iben

Edited by Iben

Am I one of the only people who thinks the brown on Pohatu looks way too dark to be Dark-Tan ?

-Iben

You aren't. It's not the same color as Chi Vardy's shells but I can't say what color it is actually either.

I don't get why people complain about metallic colors being used in sets. Those characters are wearing an armor. And armor is made of metal.

I don't get why people complain about metallic colors being used in sets. Those characters are wearing an armor. And armor is made of metal.

Yeah, but armour can come in other colours too :P ( I know the first one is leather, but you get my point.)

Having a lot of gold and silver armour isn't inherently a bad thing; but because these characters are in essence defined and separated by their colours, I honestly have to agree with others when they say that these colours should be the most prominent ones.

-Iben

Yes, their armour is made from a metallic material of some kind. Said armour however also comes in colours that aren't metallic, such as blue and green. Your argument is, ergo, moot.

But anyway, it's not necessarily an issue with metallic colours that I have. Silver and Gunmetal are good, neutral colours, being metallic forms of grey. Gold, however, is not a neutral colour, as it's a shiny shade of yellow. Tahu suddenly having more gold than what was previously his predominant colour changes his aesthetic entirely - He's now mostly yellow, as opposed to red.

But that's not even my main complaint about Tahu, though. As I said earlier in this thread, my main gripe is that he uses four varities of armour addons, which all have different aesthetics, giving him a very disorderly look. You've got the dense, crystalline addons on his knees, the very archaic looking and again, densely detailed Technic addons on his hips (which are much too small), the smoother, broader piston addons on his lower arms, and then the cracked, less orderly skull armour over his shoulders. He suffers strongly from what made a lot of late-G1 sets feel quite cheap - the combination of different, clashing design ideas from the past, in an attempt to make something that looks new. I hope this is a blip in G2, otherwise I'll be very disappointed.

Edited by Logan McOwen

You aren't. It's not the same color as Chi Vardy's shells but I can't say what color it is actually either.

It looks Dark Brown to me. Actually, I'd like to see that color on Pohatu, I think it would contrast nicely with Dark Orange.

Definitely Dark Brown. The mask is still Dark Orange though... which partly leads me to believe that, since the other Toa masks haven't changed colour from 2015, Lewa is going to stay Bright Green, much as I'd like to see some Earth Green.

Edited by Shakar

Alright, time to give my thoughts on the Toa. I've ranked them from least liked to most.

6. Gali: As others have mentioned before the asymmetry doesn't really work. I could pass it if it was just the shoulder, but the left thigh is inexcusable. The orange in my opinion is a better accent to the blue than yellow so I'm happy in that regard. As for the weapon, its pretty cool even though it's a little generic.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-If they wanted to keep the asymmetrical thigh It could have been excuseable if it was a weapon holster or positioned like a skirt.

-Adding the 2015 wing/turbine piece to the back of the legs or the feet would have made the legs less generic.

6. Pohatu: The observant of you may have noticed I did not put Pohatu as number 5. It's not a mistake, it's because he and Gali are so evenly matched I cannot place one above the other. He looks more cohesive than Gali, but also more generic. The new brown looks nice with the reddish brown, but sadly there's not really a lot of it. His weapon is the most generic out of all the Toa, which is a huge downside. The loss of his asymmetry is probably the biggest complaint I have.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Asymmetry in the arms. Increase his wastelander vibe.

-Better distribute his colors. (ex. Replace the Trans-green shells on his arms)

-Inprove the weapon so it is less generic. (ex. A twin boulder mace.)

4. Lewa: His weapons are the best of the smaller Toa. My guess is they are some kind of propeller blades, which fits for his flying character. His color scheme is a little lacking, with the the only accents being the lime on the chest. The mask is one of the best of the wave. I appreciate the custom legs, which was genius in its simplicity.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Find a better way to attach the blades. Perhaps add a spinning mechanism to the hands or arms so you can hold the blades securely, or put them on the mechanism to turn them like propellers.

-Add more lime or bring back the Keetorange. The color scheme desperately needs more accent.

-Place the shoulders a little higher up like his predecessor.

3. Kopaka: Not really much to say. His sword is cool, but the sheild/gun is a little lacking. The inclusion of Metru Blue is nice as it gives him a different accent color than Gali. Custom arm build? Yes please. I like how the mask scope actually allows a stud to be placed there. In the future I hope the masks get more customizable like the SS mask and Kopaka's mask.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Cover the back of the lower legs like his predecessor.

-Gold or silver? The debate will continue.

-Make the sheild larger or more sheild-like.

2.Onua: Wide bulk, amazing weapon, and glorious trans-purple. Onua does a lot of things right. The only real complaint I have would be the gaps in his shoulders and his mask, but I'm sure later pictures will display him better.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Fix the gaps in his shoulders.

-Improve the feet.

1.Tahu: The golden boy himself. The weapon function looks fun and the fact that the swords connects together is pretty cool. Color wise, Tahu has just a *little* too much gold. Only about two shells too much. I like the blue accents on him as they balance his eyes and gives the impression of hot blue flame. The trans red bones? Fantastic. Tahu is also a tad too tall, especially in the thigh area. His thighs are unnecessary long and the armor doesn't cover it well enough.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Add some more red to his color scheme.

-Either decrease the thigh length or cover it up better.

Combining Concept/Creatures:

I like it. It's certainly the best combination concept we've gotten so far. However I feel that some of these sets flaws stem from making room for the creatures.

Nitpicking/improvements:

-Fill out the Toa's backs a bit more. They all look a little flat.

-Instead of making the creature heads Gold or Silver, they should have been their respective elemental colors like the protector masks. This is more of an issue with the smaller Toa, whose silver and gold will undoubtedly clash.

On the "Tahu has too much gold" discussion, I really don't mind it. Especially since Onua and Kopaka have it in much smaller amounts. Gold seems to be becoming one of Tahu's primary colors for G2. I think it looks pretty cool.

However, there's one thing that I just can't shake. And for the fear of ruining 2016 Tahu for everyone, I'll put it in spoiler tags:

Does it look to anyone else that Tahu has a ball gag? It's that weird circle in his mouth combined with the upper lip and the protruding jaw line or whatever.

Maybe my mind is just in bad places... But now... Can't unsee...

On the "Tahu has too much gold" discussion, I really don't mind it. Especially since Onua and Kopaka have it in much smaller amounts. Gold seems to be becoming one of Tahu's primary colors for G2. I think it looks pretty cool.

However, there's one thing that I just can't shake. And for the fear of ruining 2016 Tahu for everyone, I'll put it in spoiler tags:

Does it look to anyone else that Tahu has a ball gag? It's that weird circle in his mouth combined with the upper lip and the protruding jaw line or whatever.

Maybe my mind is just in bad places... But now... Can't unsee...

Gali must be into some kinky stuff...