VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

So to anyone who owns the sets currently, I'm looking for a recommendation. I found that I visually loved Master Lewa last year, I liked Pohatu's playability, liked Onua's playability and colours, and liked Gali's weapon, dark azure and her mask. Having said this, which set pair (creature, toa) do you think would be best for me capturing some if not all of these qualities (perhaps it's not detailed enough) for 2016?

I don't have the sets but I don't think my opinion will change much from this.

I'd say go with Lewa and Uxar or Tahu and Ikir. The rest of the unity modes just aren't that great besides Gali and Akida but Gali is a mixed set.

Edited by GK733

So to anyone who owns the sets currently, I'm looking for a recommendation. I found that I visually loved Master Lewa last year, I liked Pohatu's playability, liked Onua's playability and colours, and liked Gali's weapon, dark azure and her mask. Having said this, which set pair (creature, toa) do you think would be best for me capturing some if not all of these qualities (perhaps it's not detailed enough) for 2016? Also forgot to mention, but looking at Master Lewa, I think he's definitely my favourite of the last wave.

Having got and reviewed them all, I'm going to say this year's Lewa and Tahu (and their respective creatures) will probably meet your standard, in terms of overall value of both combination and apart. Ikir makes up for Tahu's shortcomings in the color department, and Uxar looks super good on Lewa (whose weapons are still dopey, but growing on me).

Both Tahu and Lewa have the necessary poseability to make them worth recommending. Onua is one of the best by himself (and certainly pulls of the color scheme better than all others) but doesn't have a good unity combination.

Does anyone have the instructions for Pohatu? I'm curious on how his flail is constructed.

Also, I was thinking of using this new torso to build an anatomical reference model for drawing.

Does anyone have the instructions for Pohatu? I'm curious on how his flail is constructed.

Also, I was thinking of using this new torso to build an anatomical reference model for drawing.

Not step by step, but close enough in my review gallery.

I don't have the sets, but taking Umarak into consideration I'm inclined to think all past torso shells require that liftarm. I don't think it's a bad thing though, it makes the figures feel a bit thicker.

I've done a mocup of the torso piece in LDD and I found that the standard and Brain Attack torso shells can attach without the need off oOo liftarm. But the Breakout torso shell cannot.

Here is an LXF file for it along with a mocup of the Star Wars 2016 torso and a mocup of the 2015 gearbox if anyone wants to try them out for themselves

http://www.brickshel...2016_torsos.lxf

Edited by Takanuinuva

Wait, Umarak's box is larger than Tahu's and Onua's?

No. Just like LoSS didn't have any larger box.

Double checking it, you're right, they're the same size. I had compared it against Tahu's box which was entirely mangled by shipping, so my eyeballing was off. Now I know to measure the bottom backs against one another, to avoid confusion!

Thanks for your review, Dorek. If you had to rank the combinations of Umarak and the creatures, how would you do it? I know you said Uxar and Ikir are the best, but what about the others?

Thanks for your review, Dorek. If you had to rank the combinations of Umarak and the creatures, how would you do it? I know you said Uxar and Ikir are the best, but what about the others?

1. Uxar

2. Ikir

3. Melum

4. Akida

5. Terak

6. Ketar

In theory Melum would be interchangeable with Terak, since the way they add mass is much the same, but Terak's purples didn't really jive with Umarak's green, despite the blacks to help meld more.

1. Uxar

2. Ikir

3. Melum

4. Akida

5. Terak

6. Ketar

In theory Melum would be interchangeable with Terak, since the way they add mass is much the same, but Terak's purples didn't really jive with Umarak's green, despite the blacks to help meld more.

Thank you for that. Personally, based on the pics, I like Terak better, but I guess I'll need to see the combinations in hand.

Also thanks for all the combination photos with Umarak. It's been hard to get shots of them, especially for some creatures like Akida.

I've got a few purchases decided already, but I can't decide on either Gali and Akida or Lewa and Uxar. They both seem to be evenly matched. Which pair would you folks recommend?

Both are good, but I'd give the edge to Lewa and Uxar. Lewa beats Gali, at any rate, and I think their combined form is slightly better.

I've got a few purchases decided already, but I can't decide on either Gali and Akida or Lewa and Uxar. They both seem to be evenly matched. Which pair would you folks recommend?

I asked this question earlier, I would actually suggest Gali and Akida, depending on what you're looking for. I was also suggested Lewa, and it's hard for me to deny my Lewa love considering he was one of my favourite G1 characters.....but that doesn't change how much I dislike his silver colour scheme. Everyone has different preferences of course, and I think Lewa's design is excellent, as is his combo with Uxar....but it depends what you want to get out of the sets. If you want to pose them, Lewa and Uxar. Occasionally play with them but pose them otherwise, Gali/Akida. I feel like the shoulder torpedoes are just cooler than the wing-flapping bit...she also maintains her gear function because Akida does not cover her knob with his/her/its tail. She's also got awesome colours and a better weapon, at least in my opinion. Thanks by the way to everyone for their suggestions!

I gotta say if you pose Terak so he's on all fours he looks 90000% better. Really accomplishes that 'mole' look.

Also the head could make for a great Triceratops, so I might try making my own creature in that vein.

Edited by CabooseBM

Could someone post a picture of a new Toa or Umarak wearing a 2015 or older torso armor? Thank you!

Umarak is wearing 2015 torso armor .-.

Umarak is wearing 2015 torso armor .-.

This leaves open so many combinations that it's still worth asking.

Also the head could make for a great Triceratops, so I might try making my own creature in that vein.

I was thinking that too. And you got the right connection points: the hole on the nose and the two bar clips on the back of the head.

Time for some of those Spherus Magna bio-mechanical dinosaurs.

Anyone spotted these in the UK yet out of interest?

Not yet. I checked my local TRU earlier today and, while they had some 2016 sets, they had no new Bionicle sets (LOADS of 2015 Bionicle sets though). I think they're due out in LEGO Stores on Thursday though, according to S@H, so not long to wait now.