Robert8

Ideas for CMFs

11 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Come to think of it, chessmen would make more sense as its own, separate CMF wave. There are six shapes (King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn) in two colors for a total of 12 possible minifigs.

Yes. I mentioned somewhere that I regret not making it its own series. The leaflet would have the board printed on the other side

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Another masterfully done series.

The Gaul is personal favourite followed closely by the Sandman.

Whilst id like like the figures I am glad to see the chess set finished as you had rather written yourself into a corner with them, and having them finished before the last series leaves more surprises for that.

I did didnt I? :laugh:

I wanted to finish pretty much all the ongoing subthemes with Series Y. 

Series Z will be more of a celebration. 

@Robert8 dude…. You should made a back view in the first place! I went “hmmm not bad” when i saw Streampunk Robot. After seeing this, i go “it’s GREAT!”

Ok, I'll weight in.

Date Night Girl: Solid city entry. Good execution. little sappy but that is some peoples jam.

Nesting Doll: This is different enough to stand out but not sure it would be worth the production cost for a new mould?

Knight Templar/Knight Hospitaller: Religious overtones if the not good kind. Also the crusades....? Yikes.

Mother Nature: Gaia is a solid concept, might also run afoul of the religion rules given the Godess rule 

Reptilian: Awesome. would love to see a more 'V' type skin tear head like Two Face.

Goo Monster: The Gelatinous cube made flesh! Brilliant use of current parts

Harpy: This is a wonderful interpretation of the myth.  

Sandman: Print job is cool, the cloud is a nice touch, but Sandman would be touchy, new netflix series and comic etc. 'Mr.Sandman' might be better? 

Steampunk Robot: Not bad. Getting a big 'Tick Tock' vibe :D The back is neat as well. 

AI Soldier: This one is a disappointment. Very boring design, flat silver and the only thing that make it 'futuristic is the space logo. And what makes it AI? I'd suggest Robopocalyse and The Murderbot diaries to see what AI would do regarding form and combat doctrine.   

Gaul: Nice historical fig. the shield is very well done. nice little companion to the Highland battler. 

Gangsta: Yeah, naw Dawg. Sex trafficking is a much bigger problem than most people think, if they even think about it at all. 

Dinosaur Lad: Now this is spectatular! And a great example of what the suited minis should be.And the dog is awesome. 

Edited by SamVimes

I don't think TLG would shy away from a Mother Nature figure on religious grounds. They made Athena, even calling her Battle Goddess, and Mother Nature is easily cast as a folklore figure like Santa Claus, rather than a religious one per se.

17 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I don't think TLG would shy away from a Mother Nature figure on religious grounds. They made Athena, even calling her Battle Goddess, and Mother Nature is easily cast as a folklore figure like Santa Claus, rather than a religious one per se.

Wait a minute though? Santa would technically be a religious figure given his backstory. 

3 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Wait a minute though? Santa would technically be a religious figure given his backstory. 

Yeah, but the Santa we all know is a far fetch from the original St. Nicholas, bishop of Myra. He was transformed and commercialized to the point that they are two different entinties.

4 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

Yeah, but the Santa we all know is a far fetch from the original St. Nicholas, bishop of Myra. He was transformed and commercialized to the point that they are two different entinties.

Still a religious background. Either way, it would be hypocritical of Lego to refuse Mother Nature on religious grounds. Lego also had a Taj Mahal set. 

14 hours ago, Karalora said:

You could do it as folklore mother earth but omit the globe, while an interesting part, it wouldn't really be needed. The flower crown would sell the idea own it's own merits.

9 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Still a religious background. Either way, it would be hypocritical of Lego to refuse Mother Nature on religious grounds. Lego also had a Taj Mahal set. 

You get that it's more than a religious building right? The sheer engineering alone makes it perfect for TLG to make, not to mention the fact that the art and more than a single lifetime to complete make it a new wonder of the world? 

19 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

That's exactly my point. Santa Claus as we know him is a secular folklore character with barely-acknowledged religious underpinnings. So is Mother Nature/Mother Earth. The main difference is that in the latter case, the religious underpinnings are even less acknowledged. If TLG got it into their heads to make a Mother Nature minifig, the fact that the image originates with pagan earth goddesses such as Gaia would not stop them.

8 hours ago, Karalora said:

That's exactly my point. Santa Claus as we know him is a secular folklore character with barely-acknowledged religious underpinnings. So is Mother Nature/Mother Earth. The main difference is that in the latter case, the religious underpinnings are even less acknowledged. If TLG got it into their heads to make a Mother Nature minifig, the fact that the image originates with pagan earth goddesses such as Gaia would not stop them.

Yeah. I mean Percy Jackson series will be launched on Disney+ and there are so many pagan gods, such as as Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Athena, etc.  We will see about Lego doing a Percy Jackson theme or not. 

3 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah. I mean Percy Jackson series will be launched on Disney+ and there are so many pagan gods, such as as Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Athena, etc.  We will see about Lego doing a Percy Jackson theme or not. 

It would be cool, but Rick Riordan will be playing things close to the chest given how badly Fox screwed with the films. And lets face it, it was **BAD** and whoever plays Annabeth has to follow well...

720full-alexandra-daddario.jpg

Edited by SamVimes

Wow    Lots of thoughts to discuss...

Thanks to everyone who left their feedback. Very appreciated. 

A.I. Robot: @Karalora mentioned he looks a bit dystopian, and she is right in the money. I picture him as trooper in a dystopian future scenario where the Classic Space faction became morally questionable and is enforcing law a little bit too much. Robocop was an inspiration of course but also X-Men sentinels. The overall plain and "sterile" aesthetic in the color scheme was inspired by the movie Oblivion. I wanted it to clash with the usual colorful and almost childlish look the Classic Space minifigures have. The AI Robot's would be one hell of a bio. 

Dino Girl: At this point they are throwing costumes left and right (CMFs, City, Friends, BAM,...) so I thought including a dog would step up the game. My first attempt for this idea was actually the Series U Narwhal Girl, who was going to have a dog wearing the same narwhal costume. Like a mini-me version.

Sandman: He was going to be in Series X but I brought him here (I can't even remember why at this point). I really liked how he came out. I'm found out about the upcoming Sandman movie coming while working on him, but I can't see why that would be an issue. 

Nesting Doll and Reptilian. Awful timing with the topics of evil politicians and russian themed stuff, but I promised I made these a lot time ago. Around November last year actually. 

Gaul was a last minute addition. A Milkman was originally here. I'm glad I changed it, because I'm really pleased on how he came out. 

Harpy has been in my to-do list from the very beginning... and to think she ended up in the second to last series is crazy. I don't know about the idea of using the chicken suit wings.... I feel it would take away the menacing look the character needs.

Steampunk Robot. A made this one literally the day after a surgery. Most of it anyway. So I didn't think about a back view in the moment, which now seems obvious. I'll never get tired of saying it but TLG really needs to bring the stempunk genre into the CMF at least once. This one was the last of my steampunk minifigures. Series Z will feature cyberpunk, another SciFi genre I really like. 

Retro Gangsta. My first idea was to make a human version of Brick Daddy from Space Police, but it looked too much like a costume, rather than an actual.... well, retro gangsta. He was originally in Series W, but ended up being replaced with the Carnival Man. I know this is a sensitive issue, but itsn't it also the Series 5 Gangster? 

Overall, this is the series with the least city/realistic characters so far, and that's something I really liked this time around in particular. My favorites are AI Robot, Harpy, Sandman, Goo Monster, Gaul and Reptilian. 

In my ranking, this series goes under Series Ñ but above Series C

SERIES F

SERIES K

SERIES R

SERIES V

SERIES T

SERIES X

SERIES O

SERIES M

SERIES U

SERIES Ñ

SERIES Y

SERIES C

SERIES I

SERIES P

SERIES Q

SERIES E

SERIES L

SERIES J

SERIES S

SERIES G

SERIES A

SERIES W

SERIES N

SERIES B

SERIES H

SERIES D

Will we see a bacon costume in the next series or perhaps a zebra costume for series Z ? Also nice to you’ve been keeping at it I haven’t been around a lot lately so I’ve had a lot of catching up to do. My favorite from this most recent series was probably the AI robot and the Knight .

Edited by 1Panda

To add to the discussion;

A.I. Robot: Ok, but what makes him an Artificial Intelligence? I like the pull to the aesthetic al'a Oblivion but even that suit had personality. A splash of colour would enhance the sterile look. Also I feel the classic space guy's are unlikely to become morally questionable? they are so bright! and cheerful!

Sandman: He was going to be in Series X but I brought him here (I can't even remember why at this point). I really liked how he came out. I'm found out about the upcoming Sandman movie coming while working on him, but I can't see why that would be an issue. 

So many people would buy an actual Sandman set dude.

syoncvae4fx71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Gaul was a last minute addition. A Milkman was originally here. I'm glad I changed it, because I'm really pleased on how he came out. 

You should feel proud of that one dude, so many people hear Gaul and think Asterix, it's nice to see something that would fit well with the Romans and Vikings already released.

g09b.gif

Harpy has been in my to-do list from the very beginning... and to think she ended up in the second to last series is crazy. I don't know about the idea of using the chicken suit wings.... I feel it would take away the menacing look the character needs.

Yeah we don't need a cuddly Harpy, she's not all boobalicious, and how many wings are already out on Ninjago?! Also they are monsters so join the ranks of medusa, etc.

Retro Gangsta. My first idea was to make a human version of Brick Daddy from Space Police, but it looked too much like a costume, rather than an actual.... well, retro gangsta. He was originally in Series W, but ended up being replaced with the Carnival Man. I know this is a sensitive issue, but itsn't it also the Series 5 Gangster? 

Brick Daddy passes as he's an alien, an updated version would be sweet tho. The series 5 gangster isn't directly a criminal. And I can't see parents wanting to explain what a pimp is?

Edited by SamVimes

I based the Sandman on the most classic fairytale version

These are some of the pics I used for reference

the-sandman-john-arthur.jpgmaninmoon.jpg292235-HSC00001-7.jpg

sandman-on-cloud-judy-mastrangelo.jpg

Classic Space going evil would be like the Octan Corporation becoming the an evil organization for The LEGO Movie. Just a little twist for character so it would be a story starter

Why an A.I. ? Well, maybe he was a regular citizen who got a chip implanted (o a whole brain) to obey blindly the evil Classic Space faction 

Edited by Robert8

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I based the Sandman on the most classic fairytale version

These are some of the pics I used for reference

the-sandman-john-arthur.jpgmaninmoon.jpg292235-HSC00001-7.jpg

sandman-on-cloud-judy-mastrangelo.jpg

Classic Space going evil would be like the Octan Corporation becoming the an evil organization for The LEGO Movie. Just a little twist for character so it would be a story starter

Why an A.I. ? Well, maybe he was a regular citizen who got a chip implanted (o a whole brain) to obey blindly the evil Classic Space faction 

Oh, I'm aware of the modern Germanic inspiration you took, I'm just saying The Sandman is out in a few months, so even if you were unaware of it before, Netflix will make it a big splash. 

And Octan was a front dude, I could see *a* classic space individual going Evil, but not the entire organisation, it's modelled after NASA and even then it's NASA as it aspires to be. 

An AI would need to be more than a chip, I mean 'dumb' AI system like Google home, Siri etc aren't true AI, true AI would be....scary I mean https://www.makeuseof.com/ai-gone-rogue-times-ai-went-too-far/

53 minutes ago, Kenobi-X-Grievous-Shipper said:

love all of these you’ve done, especially the classical folklore and mythology ones :pir-love:

Thank you!

All this talk of a potential celebratory series for series 23 had me thinking. A lot of the speculation surrounds references to previous themes, and a potential bionicle figure was mentioned.

This made me realize I really want a Bionicle CMF series. They never quite got the legs to move and I think the 2014 invasion from below showed us how constraction figures can look amazing when downscaled for figured sets. I would love 12 figures with similarly posable legs to represent the Bionicle theme. If the theme does not sell well enough to have sets (honestly the Lego groups fault, its not that people didn’t want a Bionicle reboot, its that nothing past the first wave of the reboot looked nice). Hope they get around to this some day.