Sign in to follow this  
tkatt

Paper Street City

I like the way they turned out. A little shiny, looks as if it has just finished raining. Matt lamination might work for that. Love the little city and the critter crossing.

They look quite good. They would be greatly improved if they were mat instead of shiny. Not as nice as a brick built road, but a lot cheaper and easier!

Love it! :classic: I might use paper roads to get my town going (considering how expensive road plates are for some reason), would you mind sharing the template you used?

Thanks, and amazing layout! :thumbup::classic:

I remember my brother and me doing similar as kids, we had a play-mat in plastic with roads that we used. Lego often seem to do similar with a printed ground in displays. It looks o and is a cheap solution but no so purist as I would like.

I like the way they turned out. A little shiny, looks as if it has just finished raining. Matt lamination might work for that. Love the little city and the critter crossing.

They look quite good. They would be greatly improved if they were mat instead of shiny. Not as nice as a brick built road, but a lot cheaper and easier!

I've wanted to build a Lego city since I was 8 years old, over the last 30 years something always prevented me from finishing(or even starting). But in the past few years I collected enough to put together what I'd been planning, I made a table, my kids stopped wrecking everything... it seemed like it was all going to come together finally. But a shift in the local housing market means it is time for us to sell, so anything permanent will have to wait for our next house. I chose to do temporary setup before packing everything up for the move.

I would have liked to use brick built roads, which I agree look great. But I needed something quick and easy to take down. I googled and found a pdf of printable roads. The creator of the file posted it in a Reddit thread and seemed happy to share it. I printed onto standard paper, and then laminated them for durabilty. The lamination did give them a rather shiny look, especially in my pictures.

Those do look pretty good.

I'd imagine Microsoft Excel would work pretty well for creating custom straight/square sections. Simply play with the fill color of the cells, and by changing the cell width/height one could easily make different styles of painted lines and know they're straight and parallel to each other.

The paper roads do the job nicely, sure, they're a little shiny on the closeups, but agree with legoguy1984 that they look like it's just rained, which is actually quite a cool effect.

Your whole city looks good, but I really like the greyscale cafe corner too, a full modular street in that scheme would be a really cool display feature

The streets look great, even if they are a little on the shiny side. Awesome city overall!

You've cracked the code on how to create the Timeless River level from Kingdom Hearts with that Cafe Corner and Green Grocer.

You could do a grayscale with just those to re-create a scene from an old movie, or maybe that one with Tobey McGuire. You could have a few people with gray/black/white clothes, give them gray hands and gray heads/hats/hair, and toss in one normal minifigure to replicate an "out of time" experience.

I like it, even the shiny finish, as someone else mentioned, it looks like a fresh rain. But man! I do love how clean it looks covering the 'studded' area. I did this before(when Modulars numbered 4). But now that I have more than double that & I seem to rearrange my layout every few months...it would be a bit of a pain. Plus, corner buildings throw off the alignment.

Oh, and I love the all grey 10182 Cafe Corner. Very 'old timey' movie.

Edited by Vindicare

This is probably my favorite City layout I have yet seen. I think the roads are great, the shininess in question closely resembles the sheen of brand new tiles. Overall I think it is a success!

This is probably my favorite City layout I have yet seen. I think the roads are great, the shininess in question closely resembles the sheen of brand new tiles. Overall I think it is a success!

Thanks. I hope to replicate this only bigger and better once I have a larger permanent space.