Hewman

A quick comment on spam

The reports system tells you who submitted the report.

I have just noted that there has been quite a lot of spam going up at the moment. my spam detector is going crazy.

Just a little question, is it a problem if you report nearly all spam topics you see? I think I've reported almost every day and I'm curious if an moderater bothers it if I report so much things.

Also, I tend to put some 'funny' message in the message box like: 'housten, i have some spam' or ' error 404 spam not found, or is it?' I hope those things are not a big problem. But I suppose the moderators should tell me.

We don't mind members reporting spam. In fact we can't see every spam topics all the time, so spam reporting helps us a lot.

And regarding your funny messages, I don't really mind, what is important is the report itself :wink:

Oh and you are not the member that report the most spam, despite what you said in one of your 'funny message', so keep working on it :sweet:

Oh and you are not the member that report the most spam...

Now you've got us wondering.

Just a little question, is it a problem if you report nearly all spam topics you see? I think I've reported almost every day and I'm curious if an moderater bothers it if I report so much things.

Also, I tend to put some 'funny' message in the message box like: 'housten, i have some spam' or ' error 404 spam not found, or is it?' I hope those things are not a big problem. But I suppose the moderators should tell me.

Funny messages make us (or me at least) smile about what is an annoying SPAM flood to go and take care of. So don't worry! I like having a laugh as I zap yet another spammer. :devil:

what is an annoying SPAM flood to go and take care of.

Do you mean a group of Spam topics reported all at once? I saw and reported four in a row late last night (EST), one right after the other. Seemed like they all appeared in a row, at the top of the 'Recent Topics' box on the front page :look::classic:

Why not implement a 10 post minimum (for example) before being able to post links?

Why not implement a 10 post minimum (for example) before being able to post links?

that means a new member could also not post pictures of his model through things like brickshelf and flickr (if that's right).

It is not that difficult to make 10 posts, but it might deter spammers.

It is not that difficult to make 10 posts, but it might deter spammers.

Not really if they are dedicated. I saw one spammer did almost two dozen posts in a row. Although, it could work against people joining Eurobricks for the sole purpose of promoting their LEGO Ideas or kickstarter and then never to be seen again.

I was actually thinking of spammers just posting links for brick enlarging pharmacy supplies and stuff :-)

Edited by 6ix

I was actually thinking of spammers just posting links for brick enlarging pharmacy supplies and stuff :-)

If you don't need brick enlargement, then the best thing to do is to click on the "report" button and let the MODs deal with it. :classic:

Hahaha! A sincere thanks to the mods for all the spam and spammers they zap. Is this a crazy world, or what?

If you don't need brick enlargement, then the best thing to do is to click on the "report" button and let the MODs deal with it. :classic:

are you bricks up to the task? many MOCers struggle with bricks that just aren't big enough, we're here to change that with our new Double XXL brick enlargement program you can see your old standard bricks double in size! but wait if you act now we can further increase that size to quadruple original sizes!

*Disclaimer results may very from MOC to MOC, and significant change not typical. do not use duplo or quarto products if you are a purist, may become a purist, or recovering from a brick related injury. product not compatible with other brick brands*

are you bricks up to the task? many MOCers struggle with bricks that just aren't big enough, we're here to change that with our new Double XXL brick enlargement program you can see your old standard bricks double in size! but wait if you act now we can further increase that size to quadruple original sizes!

*Disclaimer results may very from MOC to MOC, and significant change not typical. do not use duplo or quarto products if you are a purist, may become a purist, or recovering from a brick related injury. product not compatible with other brick brands*

There is a General topic titled Aesthetics and sizes mean most. That size discussion could probably go in to. At first I thought that topic was spam based on the title. :laugh:

I guess thats why i got deleted with my topic "[MOD/MOC] Dimensions toypad Extension everlasting WIP" ... Untill yesterday i found this topic funny, but my post had 9 replies of positive feedback since it is a work in progress and I dont feel like i have spammed on Eurobrick at all.

I still have to guess on it and are afraid of posting any posts since i just got deleted out of nowhere and still havent got any feedback on my post in the "Help" topic yet.

I know its busy being an admin / moderator, but someone must have noticed.

A sidenote is theres a few topics that should be deleted from General LEGO discusion that ive already reported.

Now its not so funny though.

Just saw some spam tonight in the "General Lego Discussion Forum." Typical spam set up, new member with goofy name, with a topic title that describes a subject not so Eurobricks friendly... I tried to report the member, but the computer wouldn't let me, I don't dare enter the thread to report the post either not knowing what is in there!

From my observation most spam goes to the General Discussion Forum, sometime around night in the U.S. I don't recall ever seeing spam in the other forums such as Star Wars, Train Tech, or Action Figures: they seem to target the General Forum the most.

EDIT: Just found some more spam popping up in the General Forum, a second on the subject of ummmm... "improving female figure"; and one on some money budgeting scheme. The spam bots really get to work hard at night. I reported the money one, hopefully the mods notice all the others.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I guess thats why i got deleted with my topic "[MOD/MOC] Dimensions toypad Extension everlasting WIP" ... Untill yesterday i found this topic funny, but my post had 9 replies of positive feedback since it is a work in progress and I dont feel like i have spammed on Eurobrick at all.

I still have to guess on it and are afraid of posting any posts since i just got deleted out of nowhere and still havent got any feedback on my post in the "Help" topic yet.

I know its busy being an admin / moderator, but someone must have noticed.

A sidenote is theres a few topics that should be deleted from General LEGO discusion that ive already reported.

Now its not so funny though.

It is more likely that there was a slip of the finger/mouse and you're profile was selected instead of the spammer profile. I find that a lot of spam appears first thing in my morning, so there have been a few risky moments when I am blasting through half a dozen or so spammers and nearly catch a member too! (The avatar/profile picture clues me in, so I've not hit a member yet). It is a shame about the lost thread, I know admin are looking into a solution.

Just know that we're all people and sometimes mistakes are made.

Moderators are *real* people?! ;-P

It is more likely that there was a slip of the finger/mouse and you're profile was selected instead of the spammer profile. I find that a lot of spam appears first thing in my morning, so there have been a few risky moments when I am blasting through half a dozen or so spammers and nearly catch a member too! (The avatar/profile picture clues me in, so I've not hit a member yet). It is a shame about the lost thread, I know admin are looking into a solution.

Im totally aware of that, and no harsh feeling from me. Im just really glad that i finally got an answer of some kind. As mentioned elsewhere, i love EuroBrick and is so happy i got out of yet another DarkAge to return here to my favorite LEGO forum.

If i have a bad day, i know i can always go here and getin better mood.

Thanks for replying :classic:

Oh good! I'm also glad to see its not stopped you hitting up the reports on spam.

Sometimes an eagle-eyed mod catches the garbage posts quickly, but we appreciate the effort that members go to, it akes the job a lot easier :classic:

AS thanks. Have some Monty Python :grin:

Oh good! I'm also glad to see its not stopped you hitting up the reports on spam.

AS thanks. Have some Monty Python :grin:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Whenever i see a spam topic posted i will report it for sure.

Sorry, couldnt watch more than 30sec. of the Python video, i could se where it was going :laugh:

Wish it was legal to make antispam software allowed to lock up spammers computers and play that video continuesly till they begged for mercy :devil::tongue:

Anyhow, offtopic. It only take a few seconds to report spam, so its not a big deal. And keeps Eurobricks clean. Just glad to be able to help.