21 hours ago, Pvdb said:

Nice work there.  It is coming along. ??

Thank you Maestro :classic:

21 hours ago, suffocation said:

Great to see you building again, Grum. The BWE truly is epic - you'll be amazed at how huge it is.

Thank you, it's great to be building again.

I'd seen pics & watched videos prior to building so I knew the BWE was going to be big but I wasn't prepared for just how big.

21 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Great update Clive and don't own this set and is great to see how your build is groing.:wub:

Thank you Edwin. It's coming on. Slowly but surely.

Edited by grum64
Grammer

Build Days 16/17/18/19 - Total build time 6hrs 30mins / Total build time 47hrs 20mins

Yes, I'm afraid it’s time to inflict other quick update upon you.

There have been a few problems caused by the size of this build but on the whole things have gone really well so far helped on occasion by my reading the instructions ahead of a days building enabling me to plan around potential problems. A good example of this is shown in pic 3.

Fitting the 27 black and 1 blue 3L pins into the frames with them in place would have been particularly difficult had I followed the instructions but fitting them prior to attaching the frames avoided this. I'm guessing that this sort of 'workaround' is going to be needed more and more as this build progresses.

The most frustrating part of the build so far has been joining the 50 tread links together for the output conveyer. Almost 2hrs was spent trying to put these little buggers together and joining the ends. Looking through the instructions I see there’s another 66 to do later in the build. Oh joy.

I must again apologise for some of the photos. The ever increasing size of this build and it being on my laptray makes it difficult to frame using my mobile. I'm hoping to get a better photography setup sorted out soon.

20180308_151912.jpg

20180308_161923.jpg

20180308_160922.jpg

20180308_163846.jpg

20180310_160127.jpg

20180310_161234.jpg

20180312_165128.jpg

20180314_141746.jpg

20180314_163035.jpg

20180314_163650.jpg

Edited by grum64
Photo order correction

6-1/2 hours in one day!  Looking good, Grum.  Not having the set, it is good to see how it goes together and what it looks like on the inside.

Good progress! If I remember correctly there are some tricky steps ahead though in the main arm... I hope you'll find a way for those. Keep those updates coming :thumbup:

3 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

6-1/2 hours in one day!  Looking good, Grum.  Not having the set, it is good to see how it goes together and what it looks like on the inside.

As I can't be up in my 'chair for very long the 6 1/2 hours was the total build time over 4 days.

The BWE is a really interesting set one I reccommend. If you don't like it and can get it at a good price you've got a great parts pack.

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Good progress! If I remember correctly there are some tricky steps ahead though in the main arm... I hope you'll find a way for those. Keep those updates coming :thumbup:

Thank you Jeroen. As for the tricky steps coming up, it's all part of the challenge that makes building a joy.

As for keeping the the updates coming. Be careful what you wish for :classic:

2 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Great update my friend and good to seen her growing.:thumbup:

Thank you Edwin. It's a big 'un alright and getting bigger. It's much bigger than I thought it was going to be.

Wow! Excellent progress. I am very impressed, and I agree, that model looks huge. 

Thanks so much for your updates, I always look forward to them.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. Although it’s a bit of a big beast it’s really enjoyable to build helped by it being one of the least repetitive sets I’ve built.

I don't own this so am watching the detailed stages come to life is great fun

Edited by kieran

On 15/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, grum64 said:

Thank you Andy. Although it’s a bit of a big beast it’s really enjoyable to build helped by it being one of the least repetitive sets I’ve built.

Thanks for the information I never thougt that this set hadn't many repetitive steps.

Very good progress so far.  As a kid I used to struggle with the tiny chain links used on 1L-wide gears (8/24/40 teeth).  I eventually figured out that snapping them together on the gear was much easier than doing it in the air.  It also helped if the gear on which the snapping was done was immobilized.  You could try the same technique on the big links if you're not happy with your current one.

Hi Clive!

It's good to hear some news from you. Welcome back!

Great progress in your build so far. This model (I do not own it personnaly) will take an enormous place on your laptray, no?

keep getting this up!

Steph.

3 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Very good progress so far.  As a kid I used to struggle with the tiny chain links used on 1L-wide gears (8/24/40 teeth).  I eventually figured out that snapping them together on the gear was much easier than doing it in the air.  It also helped if the gear on which the snapping was done was immobilized.  You could try the same technique on the big links if you're not happy with your current one.

Thanks for the tip Bart. I'll give it a try when I come to conveyer.

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

Hi Clive!

It's good to hear some news from you. Welcome back!

Great progress in your build so far. This model (I do not own it personnaly) will take an enormous place on your laptray, no?

keep getting this up!

Steph.

I'm managing on my laptray at the moment but later in the build it might be a different story. Time will tell :cry_sad:.

Edited by grum64
Punctuation

Build Days 20/21/22 - Total build time 4hrs 30mins / Total build time 51hrs 50mins

An unexpectedly easy few days building helped largely by my not having to attach parts to the very awkward to handle main assembley and the regular wrangling of it on and off my laptray.

After emptying the plethora of bags numbered 6 into my sorting tray I have to say I was surprised by the vast amount of pieces there were and all for the digging arm. Looking at the sorting tray before I came in this afternoon the last couple of days building doesn't appear to have put much of a dent in the size of the pile :sad:

20180318_164846.jpg

20180320_151314.jpg

20180320_152413.jpg

20180320_164624

Edited by grum64

Got just back from Hamburg for the delivery of the Fairplay IX and miss so many progress on your build, that i can only say WOW Clive.:wub::thumbup:

1 hour ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Got just back from Hamburg for the delivery of the Fairplay IX and miss so many progress on your build, that i can only say WOW Clive.:wub::thumbup:

Thank you for your kind comments Edwin. Progress on the build is pretty good but is a bit slower than I'd like.

Hope all went well with the delivery of the Fairplay XI. It's a beautiful model, it's new owner must be very happy indeed.

56 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Thank you for your kind comments Edwin. Progress on the build is pretty good but is a bit slower than I'd like.

Hope all went well with the delivery of the Fairplay XI. It's a beautiful model, it's new owner must be very happy indeed.

Thanks @grum64, and any builder thinks that some progress on a build get's slower what we like, but you got your self a real challenge with this monster.:thumbup:

The owner of the Fairplay IX was indeed very very happy with the model that i got a little more than i offert.:grin:

Build Days 23/24/25 - Total build time 4hrs 20mins / Total build time 56hrs 10mins

Just a very quick update today to show the continuing assembly of the digging arm.

20180323_160006.JPG

20180324_154528.JPG

20180325_154013.jpg

20180328_152319.jpg

No you're not seeing things, the picture below is upside down. I wanted to show both sides of the assembly but due too the way it laid and with nothing on hand to prop it up the only way was to take the photo and rotate it.

20180328_153302.jpg

Thank you. The build's coming on nicely.

Yes, it is a 42069 you can see. I got it for my birthday along with the 42065, 42070 & 42077 :sweet:

2 hours ago, grum64 said:

Yes, it is a 42069 you can see. 

Nice, although there's more tread links in it to keep you busy. By the time you are done with it you'll have those links beat into submission. 

A bit of a balancing act going on there!!!  :classic:   It is all coming together now.

32 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Nice, although there's more tread links in it to keep you busy. By the time you are done with it you'll have those links beat into submission. 

Thanks Bart. If the links give me too much grief the 42069's getting wheels!

18 minutes ago, Pvdb said:

A bit of a balancing act going on there!!!  :classic:   It is all coming together now.

Thank you Paul. As for the balancing act, the whole build's one very big balancing act :wacko:

Edited by grum64
Grammer/Spelling

Build Days 26/27 - Total build time 4hrs 50mins / Total build time 61hrs

With the welcome news that I can be up for an extra hour each day progress on this beast of a build can at last speed up a bit.

On the whole this part of the build has gone really well with the only problems being the fitting of the bevel gears. The 8t were a pain taking a good 20 minutes to half an hour each. The 20t looked to be going much the same way as I couldn't get them to stay in place while I struggled to push the yellow axle though the Pin Connector Toggle Joint and the red bush. After a while I did what I should have done at the start. Slide a 10l axle through from the opposite end and through the gears. The axle held the gears in place while I shoved the yellow axle through, pushing the black axle out as it went. Job done.

20180330_132641.jpg

20180330_145015.jpg

20180330_151247.jpg

20180330_183040.png

20180330_165440.jpg

@grum64 Great progress! I really enjoy looking at your subassemblies, something I do not take enough time to o when I am building.

Thanks again for sharing your build experience and progress.

Andy D