Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

I feel like a kid on Christmas: Receiving a new big turntable. Three huge turntables.

1 1/2 turntables ;-)

I am using one above the other with wheels in between for a slew ring. And still enough parts to build the screening plant.

I made a demo video of the BWE if anyone is interested.

Very nice video! I hope for a similiar video for the B model!

Very nice video! I hope for a similiar video for the B model!

Thank you! Video of the B-model will be made as well. I will do the Xerion first though.

Edited by HallBricks

Just picked up my BWE at the post office. I know what I'll be doing this weekend :laugh:

The box really is big, and heavy, I can't wait to start building!

In case anyone is looking to pick this up stateside, jet.com has a good deal on 42055. Applied coupon code TRIPLE15 at check out and got $30 bucks off - 15% off up to $30, can be used 3 times on new accounts. I opted for no free returns so deal worked out as follows: $279.99 - $5.68 - $30 = $241.31 + free shipping / no tax. Appears they also have 42054 available as well. Lets hope they get 42056 before code expires.

https://jet.com/product/LEGO-Technic-Bucket-Wheel-Excavator/62d09d352d754216ae7c2bf6beeca9a0

Looking forward to mine arriving in a few days.

I will be building the B model screen, need some of the spare parts for other projects.

It looks from the video and instructions that the chute that the 1x1s fall into to feed the conveyor actually lifts up by the cleats on the conveyor, thus giving it a shaking movement?

For the size and number of parts, I'm almost surprised how fast it really went putting it all together. And this monster is even bigger than I imagined.

Having it assembled, I prefer having the height adjustment of the bucket wheel being manual.

I'm really wondering what they could come up with for a future flagship to beat this thing, if only in piece count.

I'm really wondering what they could come up with for a future flagship to beat this thing, if only in piece count.

I don't think they will beat this anytime soon, it's sort of an experiment to drag new AFOLs into Technic... like with Porsche, only the latter is also experiment with how far can they go with the pricing.

But if 42055 sells better than Arocs and Claas... who knows.

B model review in Russian and English sub

It looks like the filter can't sort out all the small bricks. Some small bricks still get out on the belt for large bricks.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

That is a very nice review, talking about the model , i think it would need some modifications in the separator grille, i would put it more horizontal and also make a new shaking system, which would have less displacement but a faster shaking movement, just like the real machines, and other mods would be reduce the tracks speed (because they seem too fast to me), and extend and lift the rear conveyor belt for the big bricks, so it would be able to load the truck (which is not a really necessary option), however the whole B model seems good to me, big and robust like the A model, with some interesting functions that are similar to real machines and very nice details, i think that TLG made a very good work with both A and B model.

Edited by ImanolBB

I also think the same about the track speed. The B-model is supposed to be a factory on tracks, and on the same scale as the A-model. A factory doesn't move as if it's racing across the quarry like that.

Do you all imagine if Lego release a 5K pieces Technic set the next year?, of course it is almost impossible, but it would be the perfect dream if it would be also some kind of machinery like the BWE.

I am hoping for better sets and less bricks, like the 8043.

For me, Lego went too far with the BWE. It's only a statement, but the functions to bricks ratio is pretty lame. And the functions suffer a lot. Bigger is definitely not better.

Hope they will continue their way with the Claas and Volvo EW160E.

Edited by Bering

I'm a new account, but I've been lurking for a while, especially in this topic. I just ordered my BWE from Jet last night and it should get here this week! Woo-hoo!