Sir Stig

[ESL-FB2] The Bright Owl

You could always rely on The Bright Owl when you had big shipments to make. She was slow, though, and only fitted with two small cannons. But she was clean enough, and easy to sail, even for unexperienced sailors. She is classified as a 2T trading vessel (Is it a cog?).

24515887572_b06a8f15db_z.jpg

The seas are calm today, so it is a good time to enjoy the salty sea air for Ludwig Saxchsenhauser, on his first run as captain. A social fellow, he makes an effort to get to know his crew. They have not been very talkative so far, but he reckon they'll come around as long as he initiates the conversation for a while.

24256498849_f4f9ecc6b7_z.jpg

Having prioritized food supplies for their big WGO order, they are having fish again. Captain Saxchenhauser grew up on a farm in the innlands, so he doesn't mind (much to the crews dismay).

24256498659_2b2b42d4f9_z.jpg

I want to thank Bregir for showing an easy way to build a ship with his Sphinx. It made it possible for me to make an attempt at a ship in time for the first MCRA, without sacrificing building time for my factory (coming soon, stay tuned).

This is a nice design overall; however a good full-view pic is sorely missing. I like the hull shape and colors but the absence of any sails or rigging is also notable. A bowsprit would be nice depending on the sail plan.

The armament is very reasonable for something this size and the anchors are a great use of those parts. You have a fine crew as well.

The shadows somewhat obscure a few details. If you could get an overall pic with a little better lighting it would be great.

Nice start to shipbuilding and keep it up.

Nice little ship. I like your creative use of parts: grappling hook for an anchor, wagon wheel for the ship's wheel, and the small cannon are well done. Figure head (and ship name) are very good, and I like the ship colors overall. I will echo Captain Dee on one point: she needs a sail hanging from that mostly out-of-the picture spar (a simple sail cut from construction paper would be fine). Very nice!

Nice little ship.

I like the color scheme and the hull design is well done.

As said before by Captain Dee making the rigging would've be nice.

Eventually, adding a bowsprit is a good advice too. With a bowsprit with a jib and a mainsail onto the main mast and voila ! You have a nice class 2 cog !

Nice ship. I must start building brick-hulls too but it feels intimidating at least for now. I must also double on Cpt Dee's comment about the lack of a full photo and the lack of a sail? Also the owl is reigning from its spot and is very fitting. Good job!

Interesting use of an Owl as figurehead! I like it! This way of doing the hull works well for this size ship, too! thumbup.gif

This is a nice little ship, but it looks more like a Class 1 in my book.

This is a nice design overall; however a good full-view pic is sorely missing. I like the hull shape and colors but the absence of any sails or rigging is also notable. A bowsprit would be nice depending on the sail plan.

The armament is very reasonable for something this size and the anchors are a great use of those parts. You have a fine crew as well.

The shadows somewhat obscure a few details. If you could get an overall pic with a little better lighting it would be great.

Nice start to shipbuilding and keep it up.

Nice little ship. I like your creative use of parts: grappling hook for an anchor, wagon wheel for the ship's wheel, and the small cannon are well done. Figure head (and ship name) are very good, and I like the ship colors overall. I will echo Captain Dee on one point: she needs a sail hanging from that mostly out-of-the picture spar (a simple sail cut from construction paper would be fine). Very nice!

Nice little ship.

I like the color scheme and the hull design is well done.

As said before by Captain Dee making the rigging would've be nice.

Eventually, adding a bowsprit is a good advice too. With a bowsprit with a jib and a mainsail onto the main mast and voila ! You have a nice class 2 cog !

Looks great!

Great little ship, that owl just looks like it belongs there!

Nice ship. I must start building brick-hulls too but it feels intimidating at least for now. I must also double on Cpt Dee's comment about the lack of a full photo and the lack of a sail? Also the owl is reigning from its spot and is very fitting. Good job!

I completely agree. I see it more clearly now. I will try to fit a bowsprit and jib (had to google it), fit some sails and take new pictures. I have my eyes on a defect canvas window screen, but the wife does not agree that it is broken ...yet. I hope the wind takes up and someone "forget" to close the window... :innocent:

Interesting use of an Owl as figurehead! I like it! This way of doing the hull works well for this size ship, too! thumbup.gif

Thank you, I found it in a used bulk I bought. I don't think I'll ever find out where all the parts belong, but I have always been the one to pick apart sets and create something new. It's Lego after all.

This is a nice little ship, but it looks more like a Class 1 in my book.

I see what you mean, but I dont think the size comes across correctly in the pictures. She is about 9,5-12 studs wide and almost 32 studs long. I think part of it is because of the angling of my camera, and also the big wheel. I will try to replace the wheel with a smaller one before taking new shots, and also get a proper shot of the deck. I missed the bow deck details that I was quite satisfied with.

Thanks for all the feedback. It sure helps me see things clearer, and hopefully find better solutions.

Edited by Sir Stig

Nice build!

I follow the advice of a missing bowsprit!

Indexed as Class 2 T & in the faction post as Eslandola - ETWC

Nice build!

I follow the advice of a missing bowsprit!

Indexed as Class 2 T & in the faction post as Eslandola - ETWC

*Ahem..*cough cough* Make that MCTC, por favor. Thank you.

*Ahem..*cough cough* Make that MCTC, por favor. Thank you.

Hmm, my bad, I thought Bardo was ETWC :p

Glad to be able to inspire! Of course, I saw that technique somewhere else when browsing ships, but I will happily take the credit anyways! :pir-grin:

I like this little ship, and the wheel post, the anchors and the cannons are really nice details! I like the colour scheme too. thumbup.gif

A few suggestions:

An overall shot with the full mast would be nice. I too think that adding a sail and some standing rigging (the ropes that hold the mast upright) would improve the look a lot. You could add a bowsprit and a jib or two, but a cog would typically have neither, and only be rigged with a single square sail. The hull looks more modern that a cog, though, so probably, it would be good idea, at least for your next ship :pir-blush:

I would suggest giving part of the hull sides some angles. Right now, they are parallel along the whole (almost) length of the ship. On the Sphinx, I had only part of the hull-sides parallel to eachother. From the middle and backwards (appr.) it had an angle, which gives the hull a sleeker look. :pir-blush: It does complicate construction, though :pir-grin: And if you can figure out how to do tumblehome with this technique, please share! :pir-tongue:

I would also suggest a higher angle in the front. As of now, it is a 90 degree angle, while the bow of a ship was often closer to blunt than pointed :pir-sweet:

Overall, though, it is a really nice little ship, and with a few tweaks of the rigging it would improve by leaps and bounds! :pir-blush:

(I have a large cutter build with this technique underway, so we will see more of it - and together, I think we will see this technique much improved over time! My second attempt is definitely much improved! :pir_laugh2: )