Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR-Intro/FB1] Captain Dirk Allcock

The eldest son of a wealthy Textile merchants, Dirk has not inherited his families love of trade. He leaves the running of the family business to his younger brother Callum. A passionate scholar, Dirk's vast academic interests include zoology, botany, cartography, classical history and anthropology.

24167015429_24a783e14d_z.jpg

He keeps rooms in the capital, Bellson - of which he can most commonly be found in his study. Callers cannot be guaranteed he will be home however, Dirk spends a lot of time in the field, exploring, cataloguing or testing his latest hypothesis. He has authored numerous papers that are well regarded in the scientific community, including his most well known works "Freshwater Fish Species of Northern Corrington" and "Chemical Composition of the Secretions of the Common Oleander Skunk".

24445756086_beda2c9631_z.jpg

Also a deeply patriotic man, some years ago Dirk Allcock purchased a Captaincy in Her Majesty's army. Currently he commands a company of light infantry in a regiment of foot. Together with the grenadier company, the light company is one of the elite companies in a regiment of foot and can be distinguished by their dark green epaulettes. Trained to skirmish ahead of the main battle line, light company soldiers are usually better marksmen who often fight independently or only under loose supervision.

Captian Allcock now looks to take a journey of discovery to the new world, if he can serve the interests of the crown, all the better.

---

Hi Everybody, I've finally joined Corrington. This is my first participation on any of the Eurobricks RPGs, although I'm involved in Lands of Roawia on Merlins Beard. The rules are alittle more complicated over here so please let me know if I need to change anything.

These are my Intro builds, comments and criticism very welcome - my goal (probably like everyone else!) is to improve my building, so any suggestions are helpful!

Full credit for the table with the hat on it in Dirk's study goes to vincentkiew

Edited by Ayrlego

Wow! Just wow! Awesome desk and presentation! Welcome to BoBS! I hope we don't meet your regiment in battle dear redcoa...ehrm...Corry!

P.S: Rules are a bit plenty right now but feel free to ask whatever you want in your respected faction thread. What you need to know for now if you want to participate at the economy side of this game and get the most of it for this coming month, is that you can build (till the turn of the month) some kind of property (plus a kind of house if you want) and licence it for free since it will be your first and if you want to dabble in sea-faring adventures (insert money-making trade etc) you can also build a ship and again licence it for free since it will be your first. I state again that these are the oversimplified rules that will get you on your way as fast as possible. I would suggest that you read:

http://www.eurobrick...7

Especially the property and Free-building sections in order to begin with. It will make things clear for you. Again, feel free to ask any questions in your fellow (hated) Corries thread :)

Indeed! If you have any questions, just ask!

Lovely builds, I really like the desk, the atmosphere is just... Right... And the other scene is also very cool. I prodict a great future for you!

As I wrote in the faction thread, I am totally in love with that study! It has so many great details and looks so wonderfully busy! The skeleton, the potions and the plants are just some great details. pirate_satisfied.gif

The posing and the landscaping in the second one is great too!

And, Isaac Montoya read your paper on the "Chemical Composition of the Secretions of the Common Oleander Skunk" with great interest, and should be most delighted to have the opportunity to discuss the particularities in person one day!

For Science, Corrington, and the Queen! pirate_wink.gifpirate_blush.gif

Very nice pair of vigs, especially the second one - great work with the olive leaves on the ground!

Very nice builds Ayrlego, I'm especially liking the landscaping and figs in the second one! pirate_wink.gif For the other one I would advise trying to tile the top (and probably the table too), but the rest of the furniture and stuff is very good! pirate_classic.gif

That's an impressive introduction. Both pictures are great, and I'm particularly drawn to the posing of the minifigs in the second.

Can't wait to see this story evolve.

Thank you for the comments everyone!

And, Isaac Montoya read your paper on the "Chemical Composition of the Secretions of the Common Oleander Skunk" with great interest, and should be most delighted to have the opportunity to discuss the particularities in person one day!

Ahh, Dirk Allcock had a most vexing time writing that paper - he ended up with a stuffed skunk (taxidermy is also among his many interests!) that he affectionately calls Stéphan :pir-laugh: Hopefully one day he and Isaac Montoya can discuss the particulars!

For the other one I would advise trying to tile the top (and probably the table too) :pir-classic:

Thanks Garmadon, I totally agree, Originally I didn’t have the wooden reddish-brown bricks on the top, but light bley tiles instead, however my photography setup is… well not ideal! :pir_laugh2: The problem was the light bley was blurring into the white background and paint shop couldn’t detimine what was lego and what was background. After much frustration and about 50 photos I replaced the tiles with the brown bricks, replaced the sides with the dark bley and added black plates to the bottom! Not a ideal solution, but it worked…. Now I just need better lighting!!! As for the table I couldn't work out how to make tiles look good with the rounded corners - I'll give it a try next time. Thanks again for the feedback!

Edited by Ayrlego

Thank you for the comments everyone!

...Thanks Garmadon, I totally agree, Originally I didn’t have the wooden reddish-brown bricks on the top, but light bley tiles instead, however my photography setup is… well not ideal! :pir_laugh2: The problem was the light bley was blurring into the white background and paint shop couldn’t detimine what was lego and what was background. After much frustration and about 50 photos I replaced the tiles with the brown bricks, replaced the sides with the dark bley and added black plates to the bottom! Not a ideal solution, but it worked…. Now I just need better lighting!!! As for the table I couldn't work out how to make tiles look good with the rounded corners - I'll give it a try next time. Thanks again for the feedback!

Ha, ha, alright! As for the table, you might want to try SNOTting it next time (that is by far the easiest way to get a curve in it and have the top remain flat) like this pirate_wink.gif

Welcome aboard my fellow Corry!

Both these builds are quite nice but the study is especially impressive. The three-layer hardwood base is lovely and the decorated arched windows are beautiful. You have managed to include an enormous amount of detail without it looking cluttered. I like the palisades atop the wall - it's a unique approach - and the expansive table looks good with all the maps and other items even if it has some exposed studs. It's just what a proper study should look like.

The landscape looks great with the olive plant pieces and those saplings towering over the soldiers. The posing is indeed good - but mostly the redcoats make it beautiful...

Nice intro freebuild, glad to have you among our ranks, and looking forward to what you build next!