WhiteFang

REVIEW: 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

On a scale of 1 to 5  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Hello everyone,

Is everyone excited for the opening of the brand new movie of Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens? This highly anticipated movie is screening worldwide on 17 Decemember 2015. I am truly excited to see the continuation of the Star Wars movie plot and is standing by to watch this movie on the opening screen. Well, I was contemplating for a long time whether to do this review before or after the movie. I decided to do this LEGO pictorial review before watching this movie, giving my take and impression on the LEGO set, rather than associating it with the movie plot. This is to mainly avoid spoilers and I hate spoilers as well. I must apologies in advance if I have ruin any cinematic moments but I will certainly assure you that this review is purely reflected on the actual built and my own thoughts with acceptance references for support. Without any further delay, let's see if this set truly possessed the 'wow' original factor.

Name: 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

Theme: LEGO System / Licensed / Star Wars / The Force Awakens

Year: 2015

Pieces: 1005

Minifigs: 6 minifigures

Price: USD $119.99, GBP 99.99, EURO 119.99, SGD $229.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Enter the battle with Kylo Ren’s Command Shuttle!

Enter the battle with Kylo Ren’s personal Command Shuttle! This fantastic, highly detailed starship has loads of features, including opening front, rear and bottom storage bays; wing-mounted, spring-loaded shooters and detachable weapon racks. And when you’re ready for even more action, activate the amazing extending wing function! It’s time to hunt down the enemy and play out your own great scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens! Includes 6 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Kylo Ren, General Hux, First Order Officer, 2 First Order Crew and a First Order Stormtrooper Officer.

• Includes 6 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: a Kylo Ren, General Hux, First Order Officer, 2 First Order Crew and a First Order Stormtrooper Officer

• Features opening front, rear and bottom storage bays; wing-mounted, spring-loaded shooters and detachable weapon racks, and amazing extending wing function

• Weapons include 2 blaster pistols, blaster and Kylo Ren’s Lightsaber

• Accessories include 4 helmets and an electrobinoculars element

• Activate the amazing extending wingfunction!

• Launch the spring-loaded shooters!

• Access the storage bays

• Rearm with the detachable weapon racks

• Recreate fantastic scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens

• The perfect addition to any LEGO® Star Wars collection

• Measures over 11” (28cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 7” (20cm) wide with wings retracted, and over 15” (40cm) high with wings extended

An original box image of the 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

23490681200_72766a3d8d_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

23159568073_ef32560619_o_d.jpg

The six awesome LEGO Star Wars characters

23703927231_5e66f5f342_o_d.jpg

Kylo Ren is leading the Empire to crush the rebels

23490681240_dd4fd7cd75_o_d.jpg

It has been a great pleasure for me to work on a LEGO pictorial review for the new LEGO Star Wars Episode 7 theme. I am extremely elated and looking forward to it. When the new sets of LEGO Star Wars Episode 7 was first released, I had set my eyes on this 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle. This set particularly interest me very much which I supposed is due to the unique shape and design of the aerial dynamics used. It's also the new villain which is fronted for the movie and he get his own command shuttle. To me, this is a brand new design with nil reference. I didn't want to search on the Internet and get myself faced with spoilers. For a layman like me, this is completely an original new design of a command shuttle which is translated to a LEGO set for Kylo Ren to travel into different planets and pursing rebels together with his officers and soldiers.

The content of the sealed box

23703927051_33e59eeee2_o_d.jpg

The sealed box comes with 9 mint packs and are numbered from one to seven. Please note that the mint packs for 4 and 5 come with two packs of the same content for building symmetrical components. The instruction manual is packed in a sealed plastic with nil cardboard backing which might lead a possibility of getting the manual in a slight crumpled state. I liked this page of the instruction manual which showcase the new minifigures design in Episode 7. I am also glad to note that there is nil stickers for this set and I will focus more of the building instead of pasting experience. After the set has been built, these are the remaining generous spare parts which is spread across the packs. You can view the spare parts for packet 1 including an orange brick separator, packet 2, packet 3, packet 4, packet 5, packet 6 and packet 7.

The full minifigures range for this brand new LEGO Star Wars set

23158204964_26b360fd80_o_d.jpg

Let's look at these minifigures for this second biggest Star Wars Episode 7 set. From left to right, we get General Hux followed by the First Order Stromtrooper Officer that can be identified by the pauldron, First Order Officer that quite look like the old Imperial Officer outfit, Kylo Ren and two First Order Crew that somehow look like the Death Star Troopers. I am impressed with the six minifigures with unique facade and personalities for the Empire. Well,it is not exactly for the Empire as it was defeated by the Rebels in Episode 6. Now, we are introduced to 'First Order' which is a military and political organization that is active approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor. Inspired by the principles of the Galactic Empire, the First Order fought against the Resistance for control of the galaxy. These minifigure are based on the new 'First Order' and the design are derived from their own predecessors for their outfit which can be easily associated with. Upon opening their helmets or hairpieces, you can see detailed facial appearance of the individual minifigures. I am sure you are surprised that the 'First Order Crew' skin tone colour differ from one another which is welcoming to create different crew varieties.

However, these minifigures only have singular facial looks. I was hoping for some of the minifigures to have an alternate facial looks such as Kylo Ren and General Hux. I still do not know the true identity of Kylo Ren yet and I know a certain Star Wars 2016 set entitled, 75139 Battle on Takodana, revealed the true face of Kylo Ren. The main character, Kylo Ren is equipped with cool new accessories for the cape and unique unconventional fiery lightsaber that inspired the 'Great Sword'. Furthermore, Kylo Ren also come with a black hood accessory and this is how he looks like in the hooded appearance.

The minifigures' torso designs are excellent and beautiful. I love their torso designs very much due to its refreshing looks. All of the six minifigures are featured with detailed back printing. To note, these minifigures are spread across different allocated packs.

The various Sith Lords

23786366865_d1de406668_o_d.jpg

Who else did I miss? I am referencing on those Sith Lords, appearing from Episode 1 to Episode 7. I think I have covered all of them. The only odd one is the Clone Wars version of Count Dooku which I hope to replace a much modern looking version.

Evolution of the Stormtrooper

23158203624_7e2c3fff39_o_d.jpg

Please pardon the poor war-state condition of the Clone Trooper. I am unable to obtain any newer 2008 Clone Trooper as they have kind of suffered under light. I did not put them under direct sunlight though. It is just a simple depict of the three significant milestones for the Stromtrooper evolution.

The entire building content for Packet 1

23159568083_d8119866a8_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 1

23786374315_79d0e056ae_o_d.jpg

The completed built for the first packet shows the completed built of Kylo Ren with the black hood headpiece and First Order Stormtrooper Officer. The parts form the strong foundation of the Command Shuttle's base.

The entire building content for Packet 2

23786374135_f5ef1a4fa4_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 2

23677902622_9ff3aa5583_o_d.jpg

The completed built for packet 2 showed the continuation of building up the Command Shuttle. The side panels and pilot controls are properly placed and locked for the cockpit. This also include the laying of translucent 1x2 bricks that form the front of the cockpit.

The entire building content for Packet 3

23490679880_661cea6c26_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 3

23760262966_c099fd6d9d_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 3 formed and fortify the entire cockpit. At this building stage, the entire built is very firm and structurally integrated. I am actually inspired by the cockpit design and thought it can be well suited to MOC in accordance to Aliens reference as their spaceship. This packet included the minifigure of General Hux.

The entire building content for Packet 4

23677902232_044ab06e34_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 4

23158209184_79c5b159d3_o_d.jpg

The completed built for first of Packet 4 shows the ongoing built for one side of the non-extended wings. These will take two same Packet 4 to make it possible. At this point, the First Order Crew are also assembled.

The entire building content for Packet 5

23490678370_7540569381_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 5

23703924531_43716f50db_o_d.jpg

Both non-extended wings are forming up and the built will continue to go upwards.

The entire building content for Packet 6

23677894452_4d7debb1b8_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 6

23490677810_0b58368d74_o_d.jpg

Both same Packet 6 are built to construct the extended wings on both side which include the trigger mechanism.

The entire building content for Packet 7

23703923901_897a701d9c_o_d.jpg

The Command Shuttle is taking off

23677897702_57493b46bd_o_d.jpg

This is the completed built for the Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle. This is the command ship for the main villain leader, similar to represent as his signature flagship. Likewise, for all other Star Wars command ships such as 8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, 8096 Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle and etc, this design attempt to differentiate from other regular spacecraft that is leading the attack. I am very fond of this design and it appeals to me greatly. The entire built is structurally strong and well integrated. I can just 'swoosh' this around and play with the extended wings mechanism by adjusting from this trigger. You can take a closer look at the technic joints for the extended wings mechanism which enable to extend to the fullest up to 40cm high. It is not as wobble and it able to retain the playability in a tight fitting manner due to the integrated Technic parts to reinforce the moving joints. It kind of make me felt that the extended wing features is meant for the shuttle to commence hyperspace. These are the images of the Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle in full extended wings which can be viewed from the front, side view and back view.

Front view of Command Shuttle without the wings fully extended

23786369415_a68069599b_o_d.jpg

Without the wings fully extended, the Command Shuttle appears to be cruising. The spacecraft is equipped with state-of-the-art advanced weapons like firing shooting missiles and blasters. This is the close up view of the front of the cockpit which enable Kylo Ren to assume flight controls. You may lift the cockpit hatch and view the large seating arrangement for the Command Shuttle. Believe it or not, this entire Command Shuttle can position all six minifigures comfortably in there and that is a huge plus point. I do not have to abandon any characters behind. The rear revealed a storage compartment and you can lift it up to place and position minifigures in there. By flipping it to the bottom, it also reveal a bottom storage bay to allow minifigures to alight from below. These are the images of the Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle in the non-extended wings mode which can be viewed from the side, back view and bottom view.

Commandeering the shuttle

23703920171_7755c0cb67_o_d.jpg

I will avenge your death

23490673070_7866781c43_o_d.jpg

Seek out those rebels and destroy them

23677895802_cd761a3a26_o_d.jpg

Engaging bounty hunters

23786366225_8169232ceb_o_d.jpg

Destroy the rebellion

23490671470_2d2dde07fe_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this is a fun 'swooshing' set, accompanied with six celebrated minifigures from the new Episode 7. The design may felt odd to some due to lack of actual reference material. I am eager to watch the movie soon, so I can see how accurate it can be. To be honest, I enjoyed building it and playing with it. I was impressed with overall built and structure. The extended wings mechanism is very fun to play with. I played with it several times and it does not come loose. All in all, I will recommend you to get it. The deterrence could be the hefty price tag.

Summary review

Playability: 8.5/10 (Fun playability on the extending of wings, shooting missiles and opening of storage bay.)

Design: 8.5/10 (Excellent assortment of minifigures and well structured built that enable 'swooshing'.)

Price: 6.5/10 (Price is on the high side and will be best if there are some discounts to it.)

Overall: 7.8/10 (Join the Dark Side and get this set, if an opportunity arise.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Dear Eurobricks Community,

I am very pleased to present to share with all of you on my latest completed reviewing project of the 75014 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts! :wub:

WhiteFang

Another amazing review! Thanks :thumbup: My main gripe for this set is the price, and the minifigs are nice but I will probably just get Kylo from Battle On Takodana and not get this

Very good review, I enjoyed reading it! But...

I am a bit saddened by the fact that the design of the shuttle changed, and it now flies in a sort of V state, not a U state. This set basically needs replacement ASAP, because it looks really weird now. I hope we see a new version of this set soon, but right now, the set is a sort of unfortunate victim of the development process of the new movie.

Thanks for this awesome review, Whitefang!

I agree that this is a nice set, but it's still one of my least favorite in all the TFA sets released in this year. I can understand the design choice for the wings although this makes the wings unable to fold down like in the trailer, but the Kylo Ren minifigure is so disappointing for me. Plus, I don't think that the lower wing thingy at the wings are accurate to the source material since the real thing didn't have those lower wings thingy.

Nice tan colored Clone Trooper minifigure you have there. :tongue:

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Great review of a HUGE set.

Did you actually have two #6 bags? The instructions make it look like we were supposed to get two bags, but all the parts for both wing tops were in the same bag in mine... Weird.

Also, on the very first list of minifigs, you need to swap the order of the Hux and Stormtrooper names in the text to match your image. :)

Edited by rollermonkey

Did you actually have two #6 bags? The instructions make it look like we were supposed to get two bags, but all the parts for both wing tops were in the same bag in mine... Weird.

This worried me too when I was building. Only 1 number 6 bag. Thankfully I built it and realised all was good before I complained to Amazon / TLG.

I haven't seen Episode VII yet, but your LEGO review mpressed me tremendously!!! Russian mass media announced that 1mln –and-a half of fans saw the last trailer during the 1st hour. It proves the scale of the Saga’s popularity is huge!!! After seeing the film chronologically I guessed that the person talking to Darth Vader’s helmet can be his clone (or grandson) because the evil Emperor always wanted younger and stronger apprentices. Especially after realizing that Vader is becoming old and weak and can fail making his children serve the Dark Side. Rey thought it was her brother who died. But he didn't and wears a mask. And the Jedi and Force are a legend because the evil Emperor erased memory of everyone. And ordered Inquisition (guys with red light sabers to hunt the Jedi, so Luke is their new target). Maybe this ship is used for that.

I have a question – why did Luke and Lea grew up while the first Death Star was being built and the second Death Star was built 5 times faster? I hope your future review will be about the last version of Death Star. Many thanks and wishing you success. A Star Wars fan from Russia.

I have seen EP VII.

I am very impressed with the movie and it is, by far, THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER. I watched yesterday, at 00:01 AM in Brazil

Sadly some Lego sets are not as good as they should be.

Kylo Ren, I thought he would be another ordinary villain. It is the expression of the evil: selfish, envy and incompetent. This villain deserves a proper Spaceship. When I saw the trailer, I though it would be an ordinary ship, ugly and unfinished.

During the movie, you realize that, when that ship lands, destruction and death follows it.

I really want a ship of Ren, but I will pass this one and wait for its second version

And YES! the saga is in perfect hands!

I haven't seen Episode VII yet, but your LEGO review mpressed me tremendously!!! Russian mass media announced that 1mln –and-a half of fans saw the last trailer during the 1st hour. It proves the scale of the Saga’s popularity is huge!!! After seeing the film chronologically I guessed that the person talking to Darth Vader’s helmet can be his clone (or grandson) because the evil Emperor always wanted younger and stronger apprentices. Especially after realizing that Vader is becoming old and weak and can fail making his children serve the Dark Side. Rey thought it was her brother who died. But he didn't and wears a mask. And the Jedi and Force are a legend because the evil Emperor erased memory of everyone. And ordered Inquisition (guys with red light sabers to hunt the Jedi, so Luke is their new target). Maybe this ship is used for that.

I have a question – why did Luke and Lea grew up while the first Death Star was being built and the second Death Star was built 5 times faster? I hope your future review will be about the last version of Death Star. Many thanks and wishing you success. A Star Wars fan from Russia.

The Emperor kind of got killed at the end of Return of the Jedi though. The Death Star II didn't have to be built in secret and was built with a much larger crew. It also wasn't a fully operating battle station, the weapon systems worked and there was armour and the throne room but it still wasn't complete.

The minifigs are good, but I'm not massive fan of the ship. I also wish Kylo Ren had a unique lightsaber handle, IMO how it is currently done doesn't look that great.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I just came back from the movies and I will keep the spoilers to myself, as of now. To be honest, I think it is a great movie with minor disappointments and this is not the place to discuss those. I hope you will enjoy reading this review first and re-look at it again after finishing with the movie.

Just want to let you know that I fully agree with your spoilers.

Nice tan colored Clone Trooper minifigure you have there. :tongue:

That's quite misfortunate for my poor Clone Trooper. :tongue:

Yes, I do have two bags of packet 6. I opened both packets and represent them as entire building content for Packet 6 process. I am very certain and you can see the original sealed bags for all packets in the review. I am not sure why there are probable variations of the packs.

Also, on the very first list of minifigs, you need to swap the order of the Hux and Stormtrooper names in the text to match your image. :)

Thanks! I have updated and amended it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Kylo Ren with the printed mask and hood? It really doesn't look like him to me, I much prefer the molded mask.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Kylo Ren with the printed mask and hood? It really doesn't look like him to me, I much prefer the molded mask.

I'm the same, luckily the Battle of Takodana(sp?) set next year has his actual face. :wink:

Opposite for me, I really dislike the huge molded mask. The real thing looks ok but, I prefer the hooded look. I wish they did a hooded mold, or just a better scaled mold...

How did you fit all 6 figures in there? I got 3...and not comfortably either!

The only way I got all 6 in there was just tossing 'em in loose. :laugh:

Great review of a great set, though heaven knows I didn't need to read this to buy it! If anyone is unsure about jumping into the pool that is this set, just do it!

Opposite for me, I really dislike the huge molded mask. The real thing looks ok but, I prefer the hooded look. I wish they did a hooded mold, or just a better scaled mold...

+ 1

honestly, they should just issue a fix for this ship, like wall-e's neck. they can't expect people to buy a 100euro+ ship that doesnt work like it does in the movie.

Thanks for the review. The set is OK, but the wings are bad and it's terribly overpriced. I'm lucky to have won Kylo Ren in this years EB raffle, so I just need to head to Bricklink to pick up his crosshilt lightsaber and General Hux. Once I've got those I'll be happy to give this set a pass. :wink:

Viewing this set on it's own merits, to me it looks a bit too rough with all the studs, but the wing structure is indeed impressive.

The price should be justified by the fact that it's a licensed model, but I saw the movie yesterday and there's just a bit too much wrong with this ship (wings, ramp in the front). Lego should have gotten a discount off of the license fee for this model, because Disney apparently forgot to inform Lego and the other toy makers about the serious design changes since the prototype. Or did they simply forget to show them al the wing positions and the ramp in the first place?

honestly, they should just issue a fix for this ship, like wall-e's neck. they can't expect people to buy a 100euro+ ship that doesnt work like it does in the movie.

To be honest, as nice as it would be I don't think they should. This is a much bigger issue than with Wall-E - it would require considerable more redesigning.

Viewing this set on it's own merits, to me it looks a bit too rough with all the studs, but the wing structure is indeed impressive.

The price should be justified by the fact that it's a licensed model, but I saw the movie yesterday and there's just a bit too much wrong with this ship (wings, ramp in the front). Lego should have gotten a discount off of the license fee for this model, because Disney apparently forgot to inform Lego and the other toy makers about the serious design changes since the prototype. Or did they simply forget to show them al the wing positions and the ramp in the first place?

Yeah, Disney only showed them some of the initial concept art I believe which is why it is like it is.

This isn't the first time a set has had big problems with accuracy, it's disappointing due to the scale of the set but I definitely don't blame Lego for this.

Another excellent review!

I have the shuttle still sitting in the box but hope to build it soon.

I'll rate the set once I've done so.

The figures all look awesome.

I especially love the FO Stormtrooper Officer with his pauldron.

On a side note: I love reading these reviews so much more than watching review videos.

I hope you keep up the good work and continue to do them.

I see you've done several Star Wars TFA sets.

Any plans on reviewing 75103 - First Order Transporter?

It's my favorite set of the bunch thus far...

I am a bit saddened by the fact that the design of the shuttle changed, and it now flies in a sort of V state, not a U state. This set basically needs replacement ASAP, because it looks really weird now. I hope we see a new version of this set soon, but right now, the set is a sort of unfortunate victim of the development process of the new movie.

For me the biggest issue is the color is completely wrong! It looks so much more menacing in the movie based on color alone, and this is not represented in the Lego version. I realize it probably sits somewhere in between true black and the dark blue/grey used by Lego but so was Poe's X-wing and I'm glad they decided to go with black on that one. If anything I think it shows the deficiency in the Lego color palette. A really dark grey would work for several Star Wars themed models, and given the importance and longevity of their contract with Disney, it must be viable.

Just wanted to add some thoughts to this set. Well, it is a comforting point to me as my wife who watched with me together, able to identified it was the Command Shuttle that I recently built, so it wasn't exactly that bad.

How did you fit all 6 figures in there? I got 3...and not comfortably either!

I placed four minifigures at the front, while the other two at the rear storage bay.

On a side note: I love reading these reviews so much more than watching review videos.

I hope you keep up the good work and continue to do them.

I see you've done several Star Wars TFA sets.

Any plans on reviewing 75103 - First Order Transporter?

It's my favorite set of the bunch thus far...

Thanks lomis. Glad that you have enjoyed reading it. So far, I have only done a few and I really hope I can cover more as time goes. I will see if I can include the 75103 First Order Transporter into my reviewing plans. Likewise, this is my favourite too.

Nice review. But for me it's too "studdy". Those wings really need to be made smooth using lift arms for reinforcement like the imperial shuttle. I'm guessing a UCS version will come along eventually - giving them an opportunity to remedy the fixed wing problem aswell.

Edited by Missing Brick