Sign in to follow this  
muffinbrick

[TC9][WIP] roadster/hotrod?

Hallo everyone :)

This is my first attempt to share my work in public :blush:

I'm relatively new in technic, my first technic set isn't one year old yet and this one is my only second try to make MOC. I disasambled first one because of this contest.

I haven't ambitions to win it, just to particapate, make some improvement of my skills and have a fun.

I've started to build potential A-model - roadster. Now I have first sketch of chassis with 4 cilinder boxer motor. I've already reach about half of limit and I'm expecting growing in all three dimensions little bit, which will just fit.

Now it has steering, rear diferential conecting to fake motor and I am planning to make opening doors, bonnets and most ambitous - folding roof. I also have some ideas, how to shape front end, but very unclear idea, how to make the rest of it.

I'm no sure, if I could make it with suspension, it would be nice, but I haven't all needed parts, and I also not sure, how I could make it in such a tiny space. Front axle would be easier, I just need one 42021 set to have all parts to make it. Rear axle would be more challenging.

So here is first sketch of it:

640x390.jpg

640x410.jpg

640x409.jpg

This sketch just make final proportions of wheelbase, width and approximate position of motor, if it'll be with suspension, I'll have to rebuild it completely.

B - model will be with simillar functions, but differently shaped. I wonder, how I'll manage it, please, stay with me :sweet:

That's a great start, especially someone relatively new to MOC creating and Technic in general :thumbup: It has good potential so I'll follow this to see how you go :classic:

Good to see another TC9 topic!

It looks clean and simple, with good proportions, and the potential to become very nice roadster! Very good starting point for your second MOC! :thumbup:

That's a great start, especially someone relatively new to MOC creating and Technic in general :thumbup: It has good potential so I'll follow this to see how you go :classic:

Good to see another TC9 topic!

It looks clean and simple, with good proportions, and the potential to become very nice roadster! Very good starting point for your second MOC! :thumbup:

Thank you. It looks like we started from the opposite sides - me, begginer, starting smaller and simplier, you, more experienced starting bigger and more complex. I wonder, how will start another contesters and which types of models will appear, and if there will be some unexpected ones. I think it'll be real fun to watch it and even more fun to attend it :classic:

My next step should be decision, if I'll try suspension, or let it simple, as it is.

My advide:

Keep it simple

It is a nice clean build you have now, concentrate on the looks. Adding suspension at this scale will quickly get you in all sorts of cluttered designs.

Good start.

I'm close to finish of my A model, but i'm still afraid to show it :)

Good start.

I'm close to finish of my A model, but i'm still afraid to show it :)

Come on, your small MOC are great, this one won't be exception ;)

OK, so I made some little update. Now it is two studs wider and wheelbase is three studs longer. Frame between axles is one stud lower.

I add windshield, seats and partially floor of the cabin.

I had tough two days at work, yesterday I had some ideas about suspension, which I couldn't check until I came home. Then I reliezed, that it would be way more complicated, that I had thought. So I'll let it unsuspended for now, maybe I'll try something after contest.

So here is how it's going:

640x428.jpg

Please ignore those black liftarms on the front end :classic:

640x425.jpg

640x425.jpg

640x433.jpg

And also in the box - 42x18x13 studs:

640x425.jpg

640x425.jpg

It looks like there is plenty of space in front, but when I'll shape it with panels and bumpers, it'll just fit.

Edited by muffinbrick

That looks like fun! I imagine a retro tribute to 8865 test car body would look great in studless with a few panel throw in.

That looks like fun! I imagine a retro tribute to 8865 test car body would look great in studless with a few panel throw in.

I like those seats.

H

Lovely seats indeed, and this is going strong...! :thumbup:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure, if it'll be tribute to 8865 test car, it will be maybe too panelled for this purpose.

I made another update - foldable roof. Sorry for poor video quality, it is my first one and made by not the greatest smartphone camera. I'll try to make improvement in next one.

Roof is operated by knobs on both sides behind front wheels, it uses small LA hiden in the floor between seats. I'm satisfied, how it works, I only don't like hight of the roof in folded position. On the other hand, this is nothing unusual on roadsters, when there is some kind of deflector behind seats, which is almost as hight as windscreen.

Interesting turn. Maybe You could do so, that it turns in to two backseats (it's pretty close allready)

maybe you can use cord and rubber bands to make it work, use the cord to pull it down and the rubber bands to make it pop open when u loossen the cord

It seems to me bit complicated and mainly not very pure LEGO solution.

Meanwhile I'm at about 90% finnished with A-model. Appearance is almost done, I just need to solve some issues with steering and some manual functions plus some details(rear lights, side mirrors etc. Funny is, that I'm just in box 17x14x42, which is 9996cs :sweet:

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Well, as I said yesterday, here is some pics of almost final A-model.

All functions works OK, steering is operated by HOG, steering wheel rotates as it should, doors and bonnets are openable, front bonnet has safety stick to hold it in open position and covers spare wheel, back bonet covers 4 piston boxer engine.

640x425.jpg640x425.jpg640x425.jpg640x425.jpg640x425.jpg640x425.jpg

Wow! O must say this turned out pretty damn good! :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the B-model!

Nice looks, especially front and head lights :thumbup: I also like interior aka seats and gear shifter :classic: And my favorite is that boxer engine :sweet: It's like Fiat Barchetta but with rear engine, I just love it, really well done :thumbup: Keep up the good work with B model :wink:

Great model. It slightly reminds me of 5767 except in a studless form

2126_f40235.jpg

However, I'm not a fan of the red and yellow color scheme, it feels a bit gaudy. I think it would look very good in blue or black. Looking forward to the B model :classic:

Edited by Rishab N