Through Module:

This is proving to very unreliable.
Now built two train cars and have same problem on both but one is better than the other.

Train car enters the Through module until stopped by the 1st trigger arm. When this is released the train car only slowly crawls forward to stop at the 2nd trigger arm and does not seem to have any traction force to make it move forward.
When 2nd trigger is released the train car again won't move forward and the  8T gear on axle end just judders against the  end of the 4L rack but not engage.

There doesn't seem to be any drive to move train car forward between triggers.

I have checked to ensure have everything correctly built and the train wheels are not binding.

Any help appreciated.

Doug

8 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

Through Module:

Train car enters the Through module until stopped by the 1st trigger arm. When this is released the train car only slowly crawls forward to stop at the 2nd trigger arm and does not seem to have any traction force to make it move forward.
When 2nd trigger is released the train car again won't move forward and the  8T gear on axle end just judders against the  end of the 4L rack but not engage.

There doesn't seem to be any drive to move train car forward between triggers.

This module is a nice example of very clever design by Akiyuki. I built it even though I had no use for it, just to learn how it works.

The move from the first trigger to the second and then further is enabled by the two 24t gears (at the right and left side). Check that their axles have 1 stud off-set and that there are two 8t gears on pins in their neighborhood.

23 minutes ago, Jonas said:

This module is a nice example of very clever design by Akiyuki. I built it even though I had no use for it, just to learn how it works.

The move from the first trigger to the second and then further is enabled by the two 24t gears (at the right and left side). Check that their axles have 1 stud off-set and that there are two 8t gears on pins in their neighborhood.

Agree it is a very ingenious mechanism. Checked and all as you describe. The problem is that when first trigger releases the train them moves forward (sometimes very slowly, other times a bit faster) to 2nd. stop and train 8T and 24T gears still rotating. When trigger releases the train the 8T gear won’t engage the rack to move the train forward

It has me baffled. Found that if I raise the module input end by 1 Stud to make slight incline downwards it helps.

I am tried all three types of 8T gears, the newest seem to be the best to use.

Also made sure the three rack segments are correctly in place.

I must admit this problem had been completly baffled, but the Problem now Finally Resolved:-

Found the 1 x 12 plate on which gear racks are mounted was slightly bowed, changed and re-tested on my test loop track and both train units performed correctly whichever way they were placed on the track

BUT then discovered the output to drive the loader was trapped UNDER the through unit, put into the correct position and once again trains failed to release.

Note: Loader not yet built so output to drive it is not connected.

Trapped output: Trains stop & released OK
41056476914_866dff2e8a.jpg

Output in correct position but not connected to Loader: Trains fail to release.
41056479434_3bf9e1ae26.jpg

Temporary resistance added to output to loader - trains now stop and release OK if grey 2L connector held stationary.
41056482824_192cfdd1e4.jpg

Conclusion:
Trapped output or when connected to loader unit provides the resistance to make train through unit work correctly.

Edited by Doug72

Video of my version of the Train Elevator and Rotary dumper in one module with new base/pedestal

Can the new version of the train be used with the crane loader? Thanks.

Edited by Dar7hTaz
Spelling error

1 hour ago, Dar7hTaz said:

Can the new version of the train be used with the crane loader? Thanks.

yes im also wandering this as i created a switch station before akiyukis version and it worked quite well

On 28.4.2018 at 12:55 PM, Berthil said:

I'm not planning to make instructions as this will be quite some work with the cipher wheels. But it is not a very complicated construction, reverse engineering through the pictures and video shouldn't be too difficult. Just let me know if you have questions if you are going to build it, I will answer.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

On 20/04/2018 at 8:20 PM, Jonas said:

As promised, I have made the instructions for the Turntable module

They are made in LDD and available here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jonas/train-turntable-module

@Jonas turntables:-
Now built three of these.
1 x 180 deg turn / 1 x 90 deg turn to Jonas design. /  1 x a version using a Z60 turntable without worm gear, but took a while to get the gearing right to turn it at a suitable speed.
Final reduction from 24T drive gear to T/T is 45:1   (8/24) x (8/24) x (12/60)

These are very useful for building a compact layout.

Edited by Doug72

13 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

@Jonas1 x a version using a Z60 turntable without worm gear, but took a while to get the gearing right to run it at a suitable speed.
Final reduction from 24T drive gear to T/T is 45:1   (8/24) x (8/24) x (12/60)

Looking forward to your video.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Looking forward to your video.

Here it is:-
Demonstration of turntable units.
The un-loader & loader units are not fully built yet.

The 180deg T/T replaces the ballon loop for the through unit.
The 90deg T/T eliminates 1/4 circle of Lego track.

Have also built a point reversing unit but have no room on the dining table to use it at present until transfered into the loft where I have a Lego train layout.

Use of dining table as a test bed by kind permission of my wife !!

PS I will post close up images and video of the Z60 turntable tomorrow.

Still trouble shooting - have some issues with the end stops slipping and releasing train as T/T rotates before lining up with the output track. 

Edited by Doug72

On 29. 4. 2018 at 9:46 PM, Berthil said:

Video of my version of the Train Elevator and Rotary dumper in one module with new base/pedestal

Very nice modification of the original design. Seems more compact and more rigid.

I guess that you must have enough modules (Akiyuki's and your own) now to run a large GBC loop.

3 hours ago, Jonas said:

Very nice modification of the original design. Seems more compact and more rigid.

I guess that you must have enough modules (Akiyuki's and your own) now to run a large GBC loop.

Thanks! Yes, enough modules but not enough original LEGO balls, an availability (or cost) issue we all have to deal with. End of this year I will have enough with 1000 balls.

Jonas - thanks for your design of the turntable.
Further testing has revealed a few minor problems.

1/. When the train is on the turntable and rotating the rear axle 8T gear rubs on the end of the gear rack causing chatter and vibration.

2/ The retaining arm sometimes slips on the smooth 2L pin connector during rotating releasing the train before lining  up with track again.

27956772718_14ab1c1a8e_z.jpg

26957086767_723d467813_z.jpg

Solution:-  see photo
Small wheel used instead of 2L pin connector, this shifts the train back slightly and prevents the 8T gear touching the end of the gear rack, the groove in the small wheel also keeps stopper arm in position until hits the bush to release the train.

Stopper arm modified to ensure it stays in position holding the train until it hits the trip bush.
Lower 2L red axle replaced by a short piece of brass rod to add weight to keep stopper arm vertical until it hits release bush. Rod is a push fit into #2 connector and the half bushes.

=======================================================================

Z60 Turntable version - see photos
Built as per your design except Z60 turntable used with a different gear chain to turn the turntable.
Overall reduction from 8T gear on train axle end to T/T ring is 135:1 giving a good turning speed.
Note, in order to squeeze in the gears the black 12 gear meshes with the grey 12T but is off centre.
Maybe not 100% Lego legal buts works OK and there is very little free play in the T/T.is 

Overhead view:
40017899580_9416ac7ac7_z.jpg

Underside View:
41108411574_c93fae07fa_z.jpgr

Close up of gearing: showing offset between the black & grey 12T double bevel gears.
40017899070_ccfa4e1acd_z.jpg

Parts required for 90 degree turn version:
41108411124_948156fa73.jpgr

Short video- Z60 turntable version at right hand end of track.

Edited by Doug72

My rendition of the Akiyuki train system, currently occupying the dining table !!
Once testing is complete it will move up into the loft where I will be able to expand the layout and synchronise both trains to cross at the passing loop without one train idling for lengthy time.
Don’t think I will ever have enough parts to build the elevator or rotary dumper.
As for a crossover point at £89 - no chance.

Modules used:-
1/. Unloader - sometimes struggles when batteries are running low or too many balls. Don’t have correct shock absorbers to assist the lifting.
2/. Loader - modified to use spare parts I have.
3/. Vee reverser unit - found to be very reliable.
4/. Through unit - initial problems getting it to work but finally resolved.
5/. Passing loop - sometimes fails to release other train.
6/. Turntable reverser by Jonas for 180 deg. rotation which replaces the ballon loop

One thing I have learned is to follow the instructions exactly, difficult at times as only have a limited supply of studded parts - hence the modification to the loader conveyor using 3 x 11 panels.
Also the trains seem to use up batteries quite quickly - both trains now use rechargeable batteries.

Loader: at first I couldn’t get the belt to stop at the correct place each time balls had discharged into train hoppers.
Found I mis-counted the number of track links and only had 47 instead of 48. Corrected and now working OK.

Thought I had found a way to tidy up the PF cables by reorienting the battery box so the cable from PF plug did not need a sharp turn, didn’t work as the trigger on reverser for unloader fouled it and prevented ball carrier from being lifted.

General view of layout:
41977226982_c58ec3ce8d_c.jpg

42021837601_540fd7167e_c.jpg

Loader:
Based on Akiyuki instructions but modified to build with parts I had available.
Still experimenting with the number and positioning of cross beams to carry balls on the conveyor belt.

41977226362_c641ccdf4b_c.jpg

Edited by Doug72

Unloader Mofule - Post transfered to: [GBC] Akiyuki Train System: mods and improvements.

Edited by Doug72
Video added

has anyone been able to get the zig zag lifter to work better than the instructions? i find mine struggles to lift a batch of balls

Siding Modules:-

How reliable is the Type 1 siding module compared to the Type 2 module ?

I have built the Type 2 but occasionally one train car fails to release, also the 8T gears on axle ends tends to rub on the end of the gear rack while a train is stationary.

I am tempted to built the Type 1 to see if it is any better.

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

Siding Modules:-

How reliable is the Type 1 siding module compared to the Type 2 module ?

I have built the Type 2 but occasionally one train car fails to release, also the 8T gears on axle ends tends to rub on the end of the gear rack while a train is stationary.

I am tempted to built the Type 1 to see if it is any better.

type 2 is better because type 1 is for the other train which has a different system

1 minute ago, 9v system said:

type 2 is better because type 1 is for the other train which has a different system

Thanks for the reply, didn't have enough of the  2 x 1 brick w/axle hole parts anyway.

Doug

On 10. 5. 2018 at 8:18 PM, Doug72 said:

My rendition of the Akiyuki train system, currently occupying the dining table !!

Nice to see that you have managed to complete the layout.

In my opinion, your layout is just good and compact enough to demonstrate Akiyuki's train system. The remaining modules are either too expensive for building or not that reliable. I spent quite a lot of money to build the Rotary dumper and it took me several weeks to tune its functions. In spite of that it fails quite often and requires permanent care. Moreover, it is rather huge and occupies a large space.

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Nice to see that you have managed to complete the layout.

In my opinion, your layout is just good and compact enough to demonstrate Akiyuki's train system. The remaining modules are either too expensive for building or not that reliable. I spent quite a lot of money to build the Rotary dumper and it took me several weeks to tune its functions. In spite of that it fails quite often and requires permanent care. Moreover, it is rather huge and occupies a large space.

Thanks for your comments, its been an enjoyable learning / fault finding process but I won't be building the elevator or dumper modules.
I will probably see if I can devise a new module now that I that understand how they work.
I like the old crane unloader module and will see if can devise a smaller more compact version.

I will have more space in the loft once I re-arrange an existing lego train layout, to make a better arrangement of the different modules with longer runs between them.

@Berthil could you post some detail pics of the top exit ramp modifications you made to your invisible lift? I'd like to do this to my build.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:08 PM, 9v system said:

has anyone been able to get the zig zag lifter to work better than the instructions? i find mine struggles to lift a batch of balls

haha.. give up.. it's just not reliable for long periods in it's current form... needs to have a stronger side-to-side mechanism, with better support/mechanical linkage at top and bottom..

I think the best mine did, was 1 whole day at Brickexpo.. but it still jammed lots of times, and stalled

has since been pulled apart.. may try rebuilding it one day